Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think i almost got it in terms of something like 5^n-n^3 or similar.

here's a mini sequence given by yours truly: 3, 6, 0, 4, 1, -4, -8, -6, -5, 9. what's the nth term?
Don't think so...

5^0 - 0^5 = 1
5^1-1^5 = 4
5^2 - 2^5 = -7
5^3 - 3^5 = -118

EDIT: Woops I read your formula wrong

5^0 - 0^3 = 1
5^1-1^3 = 4
5^2 - 2^3 = 13
5^3 - 3^3 = 98

Still isn't really doing it...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think so...

5^0 - 0^5 = 1
5^1-1^5 = 4
5^2 - 2^5 = -7
5^3 - 3^5 = -118

5^0 - 0^3 = 1
5^1-1^3 = 4
5^2 - 2^3 = 13
5^3 - 3^3 = 98

I'm doubting that 529 with a CARS score like that. :laugh:

(Correct me if I'm wrong, @Lawper )He said that the formula was close for the sequence in the puzzle. He then said that he created his own sequence for us to try to solve. They aren't related.

Don't think so...

5^0 - 0^5 = 1
5^1-1^5 = 4
5^2 - 2^5 = -7
5^3 - 3^5 = -118

5^0 - 0^3 = 1
5^1-1^3 = 4
5^2 - 2^3 = 13
5^3 - 3^3 = 98

yeah it wasn't meant to be a solution. there is for sure one brute force way to solve the sequence. i'll edit this post once i'm done

I'm doubting that 529 with a CARS score like that. (Correct me if I'm wrong, @Lawper )He said that the formula was close for the sequence in the puzzle. He then said that he created his own sequence for us to try to solve. They aren't related.

you're right

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doubting that 529 with a CARS score like that. :laugh:

(Correct me if I'm wrong, @Lawper )He said that the formula was close for the sequence in the puzzle. He then said that he created his own sequence for us to try to solve. They aren't related.
You're right. 530. Was trying to be humble

Reactions: 2 users
i think i almost got it in terms of something like 5^n-n^3 or similar.

here's a mini sequence given by yours truly: 3, 6, 0, 4, 1, -4, -8, -6, -5, 9. what's the nth term?

Prepare for some cheating.

Technically any answer I give will be right, since there is a formula for any sequence of numbers. Whether it is what you had in mind is a different story.

So if you use the polynomial method, this:

y = 89/120960 x^9 -71/1920 x^8 +16153/20160 x^7 -3133/320 x^6 +9473/128 x^5 -684439/1920 x^4 +8191177/7560 x^3 -316191/160 x^2 +1616329/840 x -737

is right, and the next number is 594. I'm too tired to find a better answer, and this actually fits the known sequence.

Math lawyer out.

Technically any answer I give will be right, since there is a formula for any sequence of numbers. Whether it is what you had in mind is a different story.

y = 89/120960 x^9 -71/1920 x^8 +16153/20160 x^7 -3133/320 x^6 +9473/128 x^5 -684439/1920 x^4 +8191177/7560 x^3 -316191/160 x^2 +1616329/840 x -737

is right, and the next number is 594. I'm too tired to find a better answer, and this actually fits the known sequence.

Math lawyer out.

nice work! you interpolated the sequence of random numbers I generated :p

what did you get for the sequence for the SMBC comic? (0, 1, 4, -13, -133, 52, 53, -155)

Did no one else just read the upside down words?

Reactions: 1 users
y = 9.303636112·10-1 x^7 - 28.74464873 x^6 + 360.7609688 x^5 - 2366.58731 x^4 + 8690.822226 x^3 - 17694.32995 x^2+ 18256.21056 x - 7219.062069

IS THIS LAME TO YOU?

Math lawyer out.

Just did the polynomial method in two different ways (which leads to the same answers because one's the shortcut of the other). I got the same answers as both of yours for different sequences. Well done! The polynomial method is a surefire way to attack any math sequence (even if they are randomly generated), but a major drawback is extrapolations can lead to very wacky answers because of large interpolation errors.

So by the polynomial method, the next term in the SMBC sequence is 8666. If we continue the sequence, we'll get something like 8666, 65943, 279034, 882475. Technically, it is correct and mathematically justified. But probably not what they're looking for. But who cares, interpolation is fun.

Just did the polynomial method in two different ways (which leads to the same answers because one's the shortcut of the other). I got the same answers as both of yours for different sequences. Well done! The polynomial method is a surefire way to attack any math sequence (even if they are randomly generated), but a major drawback is extrapolations can lead to very wacky answers because of large interpolation errors.

So by the polynomial method, the next term in the SMBC sequence is 8666. If we continue the sequence, we'll get something like 8666, 65943, 279034, 882475. Technically, it is correct and mathematically justified. But probably not what they're looking for. But who cares, interpolation is fun.
If only they were good at predicting terms and not just memorizing data...

Lol, from /r/jokes:

I bumped into an old school friend today. He started showing off, talking about his well paid job and expensive sports car. Then he pulled out a photo of his wife and said, "She's beautiful, isn't she?" I said, "If you think she's gorgeous, you should see my girlfriend." He said, "Why? Is she a stunner?" I said, "No, she's an optician."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @tessellations @freak7 bump!

rover.png

Reactions: 3 users

what did you get for the sequence for the SMBC comic? (0, 1, 4, -13, -133, 52, 53, -155)

Yeah I didn't get a chance to do the SMBC one, but I figured it'd be close to @freak7's if not exact (kind of assumed that's what he did). Of course if this were an actual sequence, we can't just plow through the polynomial method to get some random formula lol. It will always lead to a correct answer, but it may not necessarily be the correct answer.

Math is fun.

If only they were good at predicting terms and not just memorizing data...
Yeah I didn't get a chance to do the SMBC one, but I figured it'd be close to @freak7's if not exact (kind of assumed that's what he did). Of course if this were an actual sequence, we can't just plow through the polynomial method to get some random formula lol. It will always lead to a correct answer, but it may not necessarily be the correct answer.

Math is fun.

the polynomial method can be used for making inferences within specific data points rather than extrapolating beyond the range (especially when using splines/piecewise polynomials). extrapolation is always tricky because it can lead to anything honestly. higher degree polynomials result in larger degrees of extrapolation errors so the answers are less likely to be correct. this is why forecasting in general is very difficult.

it's fun though because it required me to use some stuff from numerical analysis to tackle the problem.

the polynomial method can be used for making inferences within specific data points rather than extrapolating beyond the range (especially when using splines/piecewise polynomials). extrapolation is always tricky because it can lead to anything honestly. higher degree polynomials result in larger degrees of extrapolation errors so the answers are less likely to be correct. this is why forecasting in general is very difficult.

it's fun though because it required me to use some stuff from numerical analysis to tackle the problem.

Yeah it's cool stuff. But generally, if the differences don't resolve to a constant, it's always safer to abandon the polynomial method and go for other techniques.

So I caved and googled the sequence. There was one result. It was this thread.

I'm going to be a rebel here by betting Trump will win reelection despite the apparent unpopularity/criticism and his presidency will be completed by 2025!
Ah, the Putin strategy.

Back on topic:
... wait I just realized that you moved the off-topic discussion to the social thread. Verrry clever.
Back off topic:
I think I'm just going to take the "believe it when I see it" strategy in elections from now on. This one caught me off guard, so I'm not going to expect the expected anymore, I'll just vote my vote and see what happens.

Ah, the Putin strategy.

Back on topic:
... wait I just realized that you moved the off-topic discussion to the social thread. Verrry clever.
Back off topic:
I think I'm just going to take the "believe it when I see it" strategy in elections from now on. This one caught me off guard, so I'm not going to expect the expected anymore, I'll just vote my vote and see what happens.

I voted so that I could feel better about myself. I knew it wouldn't matter given what state I'm in.

I voted so that I could feel better about myself. I knew it wouldn't matter given what state I'm in.
Same. I could've voted for Albus Dumbledore along with 50k others and it still wouldn't have changed the EC vote.
If Bill Clinton can finish his presidency, I'm betting Trump will too.
So I'm totally pro-super majority for removal. I think that's fair. What I'm opposed to is how partisan that vote was. That can't be coincidence. People need to learn to view things objectively and remove their personal feelings from major decisions like that. I'm not saying he should or should not have been removed, I'm just really disappointed that something as petty as political affiliation played such a major role in a freaking impeachment trial.

Same. I could've voted for Albus Dumbledore along with 50k others and it still wouldn't have changed the EC vote.

So I'm totally pro-super majority for removal. I think that's fair. What I'm opposed to is how partisan that vote was. That can't be coincidence. People need to learn to view things objectively and remove their personal feelings from major decisions like that. I'm not saying he should or should not have been removed, I'm just really disappointed that something as petty as political affiliation played such a major role in a freaking impeachment trial.
Additionally, I really dislike that congress holds trials in the first place. I know enumerating powers of stuff like impeachment to the judiciary would probably make them too strong, but I mean... come on.

Additionally, I really dislike that congress holds trials in the first place. I know enumerating powers of stuff like impeachment to the judiciary would probably make them too strong, but I mean... come on.
If impeachment was up to the judiciary Mike Pence could be president...I'm not sure what terrifies me more.

If impeachment was up to the judiciary Mike Pence could be president...I'm not sure what terrifies me more.
That's not exactly the issue I was talking about and even still that isn't necessarily true. The suit would still have to be brought to the judiciary by someone with standing to sue or by law enforcement.

Edit: and even still, that doesn't guarantee a conviction/removal. My whole point is that people suck at taking off their party hats (heyooo) and putting on their judicial hats

Right, sorry, that was a bit of a digress. If it ever came to trial by jury I feel like Trump qould be impeached. I'm just saying that people keep acting like Trump getting impeached is automatically a good thing. I mean, Trump is a bumbling idiot, but Pence has an actual agenda.
That guy supports conversion camps *gags*

Right, sorry, that was a bit of a digress. If it ever came to trial by jury I feel like Trump qould be impeached. I'm just saying that people keep acting like Trump getting impeached is automatically a good thing. I mean, Trump is a bumbling idiot, but Pence has an actual agenda.
That guy supports conversion camps *gags*
I make a point to not argue over specific politicians based on my opinions so I won't pursue that topic.
All I was saying was that the process itself can be gamed which is what I don't like.

Restricting the conversation to the process and not the people tends to be less polarizing and leads to fewer irrational flame wars.

Yeah my point is just that so much of the Trump hate is partisan. Yes, he has his problems, and I disagree with a lot of his opinions. But let's remember that he's the President. This isn't a dictatorship. He can't just unilaterally do most of what people are claiming he's gonna do.

And let's try to be reasonable. I'm not saying he wasn't a good President, but Clinton is one of the most successful serial rapists and sexual predators in history. The libs don't seem to care too much about that. If you're going to care about character, it shouldn't just be restricted to the other party (that goes for the right too).

And let's try to be reasonable. I'm not saying he wasn't a good President, but Clinton is one of the most successful serial rapists and sexual predators in history. The libs don't seem to care too much about that. If you're going to care about character, it shouldn't just be restricted to the other party (that goes for the right too).
But the charges brought during the impeachment weren't rape. They were perjury and obstruction.

But the charges brought during the impeachment weren't rape. They were perjury and obstruction.

I know. I am talking about attacks on character. Attacking the opposing candidate's character without addressing the serious flaws in your own party's candidate/President is dishonest and not helpful in creating an open and constructive dialogue. That goes for all sides. Perjury obviously is part of that.

Edited for grammar.

Clearly the most divisive president in history is Abraham Lincoln since half the US literally broke away in protest and sent the country plunging into a civil war that crashed the economy.

Reactions: 4 users
I know. I am talking about attacks on character. Attacking the opposing candidate's character without addressing the serious flaws in your own party's candidate/President is dishonest and not helpful in creating an open and constructive dialogue. That goes for all sides. Perjury obviously is part of that.

Edited for grammar.
Oh definitely. I've never understood what's so hard about that. I really dislike hypocrisy and I especially dislike willful ignorance. Plugging your ears and saying "la la la la" when you hear something negative about a person you like is super immature imo

Clearly the most divisive president in history is Abraham Lincoln since half the US literally broke away in protest and sent the country plunging into a civil war that crashed the economy.
Yeah! He was the worst.

We all know that was about taxation. I mean ****, that's why we broke away from England. They were just keeping with tradition.

I'm joking btw.

Edit: deleted, saw you explaining it above.

Ok it's clear to me that this is the pattern:

3, 3*2-0, 6*2-1, 11*2-2, 20*2-3, 37*2-5

idk how to write it in mathspeak though
Yeah, you're right.

It would be 74*2-5 = 143

As far as the formula for the sequence... Idk how to do subscript on here but..

Nx= N(x-1)*2 - (x-2)?