This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaliya

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Application for 2023 Opened!

Dear future SHPEP applicant,

My name is Jaliya Deandrade and I am an ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. I have assisted many people in their application process to SHPEP, and aim to gain as many people interested in the program as possible. I recently participated in the program this past summer at the Columbia University site as a pre-dental student, and had an amazing experience.

SHPEP is a free summer enrichment program that allows pre-health students to discover their interests in several of the health professions, such as dentistry, medicine nursing, optometry, physical therapy, and more! There are several program sites throughout the country that help students develop and prepare students for their matriculation in their future health profession. SHPEP began in 1989 and has over 30,000 students that have completed the program, and have a great success outcome as 65% of scholars who apply to dental or medical school are accepted.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the application process with fellow applicants, and ask for any help. All are welcome! If you have any questions regarding anything about SHPEP that I am not online to answer to, you are always welcome to email me personally at [email protected].

Lastly, if I have assisted you in any way that was of help, please let SHPEP know! You can do so by the referral question in the personal information section of the application where it asks "How did you learn about the program", and can write my full name Jaliya Deandrade.

Best of luck to all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for posting for the last couple of cycles! Hope you get a little busy again this year. Do you have someone posting over at the predental forum? What other forums will the ambassadors have a presence given the interprofessional character SHPEP has taken? (We have PT and OPT of course.)

Thanks for posting for the last couple of cycles! Hope you get a little busy again this year. Do you have someone posting over at the predental forum? What other forums will the ambassadors have a presence given the interprofessional character SHPEP has taken? (We have PT and OPT of course.)
Hi! Another SHPEP alumni actually posted for the last few cycles, but I am not sure if they are still an ambassador and had not seen a thread yet so I created one to help applicants. I do not believe there is one at the pre-dental forum, typically there is just one thread for all applicants no matter what pre-health profession they are to make it inclusive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am a freshman psychology major applying for SHPEP! I have not taken any actual psychology classes at college yet, so I was wondering if I could ask my first semester biology professor instead for a recommendation letter. Does it have to be a psychology professor?

Hi! I am a freshman psychology major applying for SHPEP! I have not taken any actual psychology classes at college yet, so I was wondering if I could ask my first semester biology professor instead for a recommendation letter. Does it have to be a psychology professor?
Hi! You can definitely ask your first semester biology professor. The person who submits your recommendation letter does not have to be a professor in your major, as long as it is either a pre-health advisor, an employer from a health-related field, a high school science teacher, professor in your major field of study, or any professor in the sciences (biology, chemistry etc.) then they can submit a reference on your behalf. Hope that helps!

Hi! You can definitely ask your first semester biology professor. The person who submits your recommendation letter does not have to be a professor in your major, as long as it is either a pre-health advisor, an employer from a health-related field, a high school science teacher, professor in your major field of study, or any professor in the sciences (biology, chemistry etc.) then they can submit a reference on your behalf. Hope that helps!
Thank you!!

Hi there!

My name is Keyanna Safforld, and I am a SHPEP ambassador who experienced the virtual program at the University of Alabama in 2020.

Please contact me at [email protected] or reply to this post if you have any question.
I would love to help you through this application process! SHPEP has allowed me to find my passion, and I will forever be grateful for it. This is an opportunity that you do not want to miss!

I went in pre-dental, but now I am pre-med**

Reactions: 1 users
A LITTLE LESS THAN A MONTH UNTIL APPLICATIONS ARE DUE, FEBRUARY 5TH 2023!

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all are enjoying winter break. Just a friendly reminder that applications are due February 5th, 2023 at 11:59 EST. All materials need to be submitted by this deadline, this is including transcripts and recommendations, and that they are verified at the time apps are due.

Make sure to look it over for no spelling, grammar, or any other mistakes and have someone proofread your personal statement for a second opinion. Take time with your application and don't rush, but try not to submit it last minute.

Again if you have any questions feel free to ask them on this forum, or email me at [email protected]

Best of luck with applications! :giggle:

Hi there!

My name is Keyanna Safforld, and I am a SHPEP ambassador who experienced the virtual program at the University of Alabama in 2020.

Please contact me at [email protected] or reply to this post if you have any question.
I would love to help you through this application process! SHPEP has allowed me to find my passion, and I will forever be grateful for it. This is an opportunity that you do not want to miss!

I went in pre-dental, but now I am pre-med*
Hi! I just discovered this program and got really interested. However, I have some concerns regarding the application:
1. I noticed that coming from a ethnical background that is underrepresented in health professions is a huge factor in the SHPEP program. While I have been exposed to underprivileged communities and have volunteered for them before, I personally am not from an underrepresented background. Will that perhaps hinder my application a lot?
2. I noticed that the due date is February 5th, yet I just found out about this program so I am on a time crunch. Is it too late to start the application process now? (I haven't asked my professor yet for a rec letter as well..)

Hi! I just discovered this program and got really interested. However, I have some concerns regarding the application:
1. I noticed that coming from a ethnical background that is underrepresented in health professions is a huge factor in the SHPEP program. While I have been exposed to underprivileged communities and have volunteered for them before, I personally am not from an underrepresented background. Will that perhaps hinder my application a lot?
2. I noticed that the due date is February 5th, yet I just found out about this program so I am on a time crunch. Is it too late to start the application process now? (I haven't asked my professor yet for a rec letter as well..)
Hi! As a majority of students from SHPEP are from a background that is underrepresented, this is not a factor of eligibility, but a factor of consideration. This is the link for the eligibility requirements, your application will not be hindered as admissions view applications holistically. You mentioned you have been exposed to those types of communities so as long as you mention or show that in your application the admissions committee will take that into consideration when reading your application.

It is not too late to start the application! As long as you submit all materials by the due date, your application will be reviewed. I would recommend asking a professor for a letter of rec as soon as you can, to allot enough time for them to write it, and to also start working on your personal statement. The application is due three weeks from today, so if you feel that is enough time for you to apply and submit everything, then I would definitely recommend doing so as it is a great experience and a wonderful program for anyone interested in the health professions.

If you have any more questions you can reply to this, or email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to help!

Hello! I have heard rumors that having a high GPA effects your chances of getting in and was just curious about that. Additionally does the university you attend also affect your chances? Like if you go to a good high ranking university are you less likely to get in

Hi guys! What locations is everyone applying to?
I think I might do Columbia, UCLA, and UT, but I’m nervous that they are very competitive sites. Not sure if I should change them

Hello! I have heard rumors that having a high GPA effects your chances of getting in and was just curious about that. Additionally does the university you attend also affect your chances? Like if you go to a good high ranking university are you less likely to get in
Hi! SHPEP looks at applications holistically, the only indicator of whether you get in or not based on gpa, is if it is above the minimum requirement of 2.5. The university you attend also does not affect your chances. As mentioned previously SHPEP looks at applications holistically, when I attended SHPEP I had met students who went to community college, public universities, private universities, HBCUs, ivys, T10s and more.

As long as you meet the minimum requirements admissions will view your application as a whole, whether you have a low or high gpa, and whether you attended a prestigious or "non-prestigious" university.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many extracurriculars would you recommend putting? Can we include some from high school or should we focus on current ones?

Hi guys! What locations is everyone applying to?
I think I might do Columbia, UCLA, and UT, but I’m nervous that they are very competitive sites. Not sure if I should change them
I think Columbia and UCLA would be competitive, I'm not sure about UT though

How many extracurriculars would you recommend putting? Can we include some from high school or should we focus on current ones?
I think you are able to put high school ones if you did them for a while, but I focused on undergrad!

Hi everyone! I applied to UT, Iowa, and Alabama. Good luck to you all!!

Will the programs be fully in-person this year?
each site/program is different but if you look at the website descriptions most are like 1- 2 weeks virtual followed by 4 weeks in person.

Hood luck everyone!! I am an alum who will be working with the Iowa cohort this year!

by march 17th at 12am i think
question, should we accept a site that we already got accepted into? i got into WesternU, but was waitlisted at Columbia, so I don't know if I should accept WU and withdraw later if Columbia decides to take me off the waitlist.

Accepted & confirmed: UW for med
Waitlisted: Western U
Denied: Rutgers

question, should we accept a site that we already got accepted into? i got into WesternU, but was waitlisted at Columbia, so I don't know if I should accept WU and withdraw later if Columbia decides to take me off the waitlist.
It is entirely up to you on which program site you want to go to. Once you accept your WesternU offer, you will not be able to accept a spot off the waitlist from Columbia. If you remain on Columbias waitlist and there is a chance you don’t get off you won’t be able to accept the WesternU offer. WesternU is a great SHPEP site, so I would say go where you know you’re granted admission as attending a site is better than attending none at all!

Rejected: Rutgers
Waitlisted: Columbia and Howard

My GPA is low, and I submitted my application close to the deadline, so this went better than expected. Waitlist is better than a rejection!

Accepted: Rice
Waitlist: UCLA and Columbia

Anyone have info about Rice or definitely attending?

Last edited:
Someone on Reddit said that if you do SHPEP at a site, you automatically get an interview invite when you apply for medical school. Could anyone confirm this for me? (I read this a few months ago, so I can't find the post/comment)

Someone on Reddit said that if you do SHPEP at a site, you automatically get an interview invite when you apply for medical school. Could anyone confirm this for me? (I read this a few months ago, so I can't find the post/comment)
Depends on the site. I did for dental school though at iowa.

Hello I got into UCLA and Columbia. I wanted to ask if UCLA had full coverage of transportation before the time of travel. I am worried it will be a reimbursement situation where I’ll have to pay before they give me the money back.

Hello I got into UCLA and Columbia. I wanted to ask if UCLA had full coverage of transportation before the time of travel. I am worried it will be a reimbursement situation where I’ll have to pay before they give me the money back.
I think ucla does have full coverage! what path are you doing- maybe ill see you there !

Hi! I applied this cycle, come someone explain what the dorming situation is like? is it a single?

Hi! I got waitlisted at Columbia. I keeping reading to “email” the sites. Can anyone explain what is appropriate or this email can look like in terms of structure/content? Thank you! Also do we use this email: [email protected]. Or does anyone know of a better email I can use for Columbia? Thank you!