Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These are acceptances that have been registered by the AAMC since my last post on acceptances (almost a week ago).
Awesome, thank you so much for posting these!!! They don't seem to match up with SDN movements, do you know why that is? E.g. there seems to be more schools on SDN (like 1 of the schools I'm waitlisted on, it was not reported).

Awesome, thank you so much for posting these!!! They don't seem to match up with SDN movements, do you know why that is? E.g. there seems to be more schools on SDN (like 1 of the schools I'm waitlisted on, it was not reported).
Maybe gyngyn is reporting the places where wait list movement is significant and not like less than 10 people. I am not sure though.

Maybe gyngyn is reporting the places where wait list movement is significant and not like less than 10 people. I am not sure though.

@gyngyn is at a school in California--he posts acceptances that overlap with his applicants. It's not going to catch every med school across the country.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe there is a slight delay between the offers being made and official reporting on AMCAS. I know that WashU had some waitlist movement May 3/4, but she reported it being on AMCAS just yesterday I think.

Maybe there is a slight delay between the offers being made and official reporting on AMCAS. I know that WashU had some waitlist movement May 3/4, but she reported it being on AMCAS just yesterday I think.
gyngyn was busy at the hospital for most of the past week and was unable to provide regular updates, but every post is the accumulation of movement she/he sees since the previous update.

Reactions: 1 user
gyngyn was busy at the hospital for most of the past week and was unable to provide regular updates, but every post is the accumulation of movement she/he sees since the previous update.
Oh gosh. Best wishes to him/her. Cat avatar users are the pillars of SDN (but seriously, though, part of me thinks Gyngyn and Goro are secretly a cat couple).

Just got two acceptances 30 minutes apart from each other today! I guess the world gets nicer to you when you finally think you hit rock bottom. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist. You guys got dis!

Reactions: 30 users
Just got two acceptances 30 minutes apart from each other today! I guess the world gets nicer to you when you finally think you hit rock bottom. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist. You guys got dis!
lol, what if everyday it feels like I'm 1000 feet below what I thought rock bottom was the day before

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New acceptances registered since yesterday are: Jefferson, UCF, FAU, UCSF and a boatload from UTSW.

Have you seen anything at UCI or Albany??

Really holding out hope for UCI.. any idea about their class size or if they have spots left? Thank you so much.

I saw someone posted that BU's waitlist started moving earlier this week. Does anyone know how much they anticipate taking off the waitlist this year? I know they said at interviews they wanted a small waitlist and lots of movement but I'm paranoid they overaccepted again...

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations!:highfive:

Congrats! Did you hear from WashU by chance?

Really holding out hope for UCI.. any idea about their class size or if they have spots left? Thank you so much.
I suppose technically now they basically dont have "open" spots, but that's my understanding of how it operates. Spots open up and are offered to the next applicant. The list has been moving, which is the important part. UCI's class size is around 100, but to reach that they have to admit over 250. Most people accepted do not enroll, and it's still early May. Keep the faith!

Welp, gonna be a long weekend. Doubt any Friday acceptances will be coming after business hours.

Welp, gonna be a long weekend. Doubt any Friday acceptances will be coming after business hours.
In some ways I'm slightly thankful I work weekends so I can't sit in front of my inbox and constantly refresh. At the same time, I know I'll be suffering since the unit is bound to be understaffed. :eek::rolleyes:

Here's to more waitlist movement next week! :)

Reactions: 8 users

Albany should be moving.

Albany should be moving.
How do you know haha? Thanks in advance

In the beginning of the cycle i would kind of be baffled by how neurotic posters on SDN were... and now i am one lmaoo the waitlist struggle is too real

How do you know haha? Thanks in advance

In the beginning of the cycle i would kind of be baffled by how neurotic posters on SDN were... and now i am one lmaoo the waitlist struggle is too real
Well I withdrew from there so... there's that

You might still be depleting the excess, though.
True, but there were acceptances off the UC list reported in the school-specific thread. Who knows if it was due to my withdrawal or not.

Anyone else still on the waitlist at FSU? I'm thankful to still have a shot of acceptance, but I didn't know waiting would be this hard!

Just got an acceptance from CMSRU. I am SO EXCITED. Trying not to hyperventilate.

I'm going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 22 users
Admissions departments I have contacted have also said some WL acceptances to Penn and Pitt have already gone out (FYI).

anybody on here with a >3.6 and > 510 that was not accepted this cycle? what do you think you did wrong? any advice?

anybody on here with a >3.6 and > 510 that was not accepted this cycle? what do you think you did wrong? any advice?
*sheepishly raises hand*
Second cycle in this situation. Every situation is different. I think if you got interviews some schools believe that you're qualified to go there. If you got on waitlists they believe that you're a solid candidate, but maybe there are more qualified candidates, or they did better in their interviews.
Initially, I was presumptuous and naive enough to think I'd get in simply on stats. I had thought after my first cycle it was a lack of research/clinical experiences. Still, I got five interviews and waitlists at 3 top 10 schools, but ultimately never got off them. The second cycle I thought was in the bag. I have a lot more clinical experience and am working almost full time in a lab, but I had one fewer interview and have one fewer waitlist.
I've totally bombed interviews, especially the two schools that rejected me post-II last cycle. But really, after nine interviews with my stats and background, I suspect it's not that I bombed a couple and was unlucky at the rest, but something is missing in my interviews.

That's all just me though. Come to me for MCAT advice maybe, but not for interview prep.

*sheepishly raises hand*
Second cycle in this situation. Every situation is different. I think if you got interviews some schools believe that you're qualified to go there. If you got on waitlists they believe that you're a solid candidate, but maybe there are more qualified candidates, or they did better in their interviews.
Initially, I was presumptuous and naive enough to think I'd get in simply on stats. I had thought after my first cycle it was a lack of research/clinical experiences. Still, I got five interviews and waitlists at 3 top 10 schools, but ultimately never got off them. The second cycle I thought was in the bag. I have a lot more clinical experience and am working almost full time in a lab, but I had one fewer interview and have one fewer waitlist.
I've totally bombed interviews, especially the two schools that rejected me post-II last cycle. But really, after nine interviews with my stats and background, I suspect it's not that I bombed a couple and was unlucky at the rest, but something is missing in my interview
s.

That's all just me though. Come to me for MCAT advice maybe, but not for interview prep.

Last edited:
Hey Med School Gods... It's us. The not accepted yet list. Maybe you can accept us this week?? We'll work harder than the average medical student. So.. please?

Reactions: 25 users
Since my last post, there have been new acceptances at BU, Rochester, Hofstra, SUNY Brooklyn and Mayo AZ.
Would you say it is a good thing that BU has already seen some waitlist movement when they said, initially, movement wouldn't start until June? Or was that acceptance just a one off, and we shouldn't expect to see any more movement until June?

Would you say it is a good thing that BU has already seen some waitlist movement when they said, initially, movement wouldn't start until June? Or was that acceptance just a one off, and we shouldn't expect to see any more movement until June?
Gonna channel @gyngyn: "The best thing that can happen to waitlisted candidates is early waitlist movement at the school you are interested in."
Wait list movement means they've dropped below their class size, so I'm gonna say 100% good thing for BU waitlisters.

Reactions: 6 users
finally giving in and starting the new application today. karma please smile on me :whistle:

Reactions: 12 users
Does that mean that schools are getting moderately higher yields on their offers than historical averages?
Software advances in recent years have made it easier to analyze data and thus target candidates more effectively.

Albany moved again today.

finally giving in and starting the new application today. karma please smile on me :whistle:
I'll be doing the same. Passed over again. Time to get serious about reapplying :oops:

Software advances in recent years have made it easier to analyze data and thus target candidates more effectively.
Frustrating for us in this thread... but thanks again for the insights

Me...after applying fewer than 10 (pretty selective schools), I got interviews at 3 UC schools. I felt that my stats, writing, LORs, and experiences were all solid. Still sitting on the waitlists, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just an average interviewer (a little more on the reserved side, and interviews do not bring out the best in me). I usually feel good after interviews, but upon reflecting, I can see the various instances where I failed to really showcase my strengths, and only gave a mediocre answer, despite having practiced. I had so much more anxiety about the interviews, and would much prefer to write essays. I've been improving my application in the last year, but am not sure how to effectively improve my interview skills enough. It's so frustrating to be THAT close, but fall short, and I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone here.

Reactions: 14 users