Official PCOM Class of 2012!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, fortuantely I dont think money will be a problem for me...thank you US Navy...but I feel for you. I'm just looking forward to getting my official student stuff and being able to explore nucleus, look into apts/condos etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Does PCOM give PDAs to their third year students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All--for those of you living off campus, I am leaving my apartment in Center City this summer, only a short drive to PCOM:

3 story, 2 bedrm, 950+ sq trinity house for rent. Shared outdoor courtyard space for bikes, bbq, etc.

$1550/month
Move-in Mid-May/June 1st

For those familiar with Philly, the house is near 20th and South St. in Center City. Great, safe, centrally-located neighborhood close to Rittenhouse Sq:

If you have a car, there is reasonable street parking in the neighborhood.

Please PM me for more details. Some pics included in my CL posting:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/601354056.html

thanks, taus.

Do you have a pda for your rotation?

I put bunch of questions about pda on PCOM Discussion thread. You are more than welcome to comment there if you like.

OTL

Has anyone run into the problem of not being able to give your parents' financial information to FAFSA and to PCOM. There is no way that I am going to be able to give either my parents' tax information before school starts, let alone April 1st. I am a non-traditional student and not supported by my parents so I am not even sure why their information applies but has anyone else been in a similar situation, and if so what was the best thing to do? Thanks

Has anyone run into the problem of not being able to give your parents' financial information to FAFSA and to PCOM. There is no way that I am going to be able to give either my parents' tax information before school starts, let alone April 1st. I am a non-traditional student and not supported by my parents so I am not even sure why their information applies but has anyone else been in a similar situation, and if so what was the best thing to do? Thanks

Offer to write a signed letter of financial independence as a substitute. You may not be eligible for some scholarships but I think it should work for FAFSA.

I was wondering what everyone's impressions were of PCOM as they visited the school. What most did you like about it?

Raise hands if your going to the brunch on Saturday.

Also, what is the dress supposed to be like? any thoughts for guys?

I'll be there...I'm gonna do khakis and a button-down.

I'll be there...I'm gonna do khakis and a button-down.

Yeah I am going to be there, and I am guessing it is business casual. Some khakis or slacks and a collared shirt sounds right. Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring guests?

Yeah I am going to be there, and I am guessing it is business casual. Some khakis or slacks and a collared shirt sounds right. Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring guests?

I was actually thinking of calling them to ask because my SO is in town and I would like to bring him since he's going to be going through the process with me. Maybe I'll call and post....

Members don't see this ad :)
The brunch is only for new students so you can't bring guests :(. It's from 11-1 and it's a chance to meet other new students and some 2nd years to orient you to PCOM.

I look forward to seeing you guys there :D

How is everybody doing on housing? I am still looking around and trying to find a house to rent with some people. Have people been finding it is getting harder and harder to find a place to still available or does this generally happen a little later?

If anyone is interested in trying to find a house close to campus PM and we can see if it sounds like a good situation.

How is everybody doing on housing? I am still looking around and trying to find a house to rent with some people. Have people been finding it is getting harder and harder to find a place to still available or does this generally happen a little later?

If anyone is interested in trying to find a house close to campus PM and we can see if it sounds like a good situation.

I have been looking on CraigsList and there seems to be a lot of open stuff. I haven't had the chance to look very carefully yet since I'm bogged down in work and classes but as soon as classes are over the first week of May, I am going to get back on it, but so far I have seen a ton of things online. You may also want to check out the housing forum on Nucleus - they have a lot of people advertising apts or rooms that are being vacated during the summer.

WOOO PCOM 2012!

Just sent my tuition remittance today. I'm pumped.

lol my remittance had the exact opposite effect.

Not so easy to part with 2g's :rolleyes:

See everyone in the fall.

dropped it off this morning....feelin pretty light in the wallet

Boooooo no one has written anything in more than a week. I think I'm just so sick of doing my job that I was wandering around SDN and hoping someone would have posted in the BEST THREAD EVER :love:, but no one did :( so I'm posting this random post. Wow I'm really bored.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive firefly.

Has anyone chosen a lender yet or got their Master prommissory note? I sent in my financial aid stuff but haven't received any word from them.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive firefly.

Has anyone chosen a lender yet or got their Master prommissory note? I sent in my financial aid stuff but haven't received any word from them.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, neither have I!!! Wow, I can't believe I forgot. I still haven't filled out all those forms they want us to or do the background check :eek:

Can you do this before you get your financial aid information from the school?

Is there a place I could find the 1st year schedule. Actually I would like to see how the whole curriculum is liaded out. Its not in the PCOM handbook..

I am confused house classes are set up, small groups, peceptorships, and ....I read reports do we do reports the first year??... Any PCOM vets that can give some feedback.

Any who I found a place in Penn Valley. So nice. And the backroads allow me to avoid 76 and city ave. Its Oak hills condos and I get to hit LA fitness on way home. 15 min away 20 tops.....My wife works for fed govt as engineer and is gonna support my poor ***.

We looked at lots a places most crappy IMO specially Lincoln Park and Presidential. Nice on outside very disappointed on inside.

But If I can get some feedback on the course schedule that would be great THANKS!!! And recommended books

If you have a log in for nucleus, you can access the schedules under resources. I think the only schedule that is posted now is from the 2nd and 3rd trimester.

are the lectures available on audio in addition to the scribe notes?

Can you do this before you get your financial aid information from the school?

No, I don't think so. You should have recieved a financial aid interview form, I think they call it, and a Stafford loan application. I sent them all my stuff at the beginning of month but haven't hear back from them.

are the lectures available on audio in addition to the scribe notes?

Yes you get access to scribe notes and MP3 when you pay your yearly dues. For my class if you wanted scribe notes printed for you and delivered to your file cabinet plus MP3 access...it cost me ~275 bucks for the year. If you just want MP3 access and online scribe notes I think it was around ~225.

I think it is worth it to pay for the printed notes because its a bitch printing every single lecture.

how are you guys figuring out lenders for stafford and grad plus loans?

how are you guys figuring out lenders for stafford and grad plus loans?

I'm wondering the same thing...are they going to send us information on this? I went to aessuccess.org and looked at getting a KeystoneBest Stafford since I'm a PA resident, but there are like 50 lenders...which to choose?

i think i saw something on chase's website about 0% fees on a stafford for residents of pa or people attending a school in pa. not 100% sure though. anyone have any other suggestions?

As usual, per my OCD qualities, I'll be making an excel sheet type comparison of lenders that I'm looking into. PNC Bank has similar discounts of interest rates, in addition to possibly decreasing the GRADPlus loan interest from 8.5% to 7.5%. I'll post a link to my excel sheet once i'm done. I've found a few others, but can't remember details, hence my need to make a spreadsheet.

P.S. people making official plans for moving in and such? I'm moving from pgh to Philly August 1. should be fun! Let me know if anyone would be willing to help me and my parents carry heavy **** in exchange for me helping you carry your heavy ****.

As usual, per my OCD qualities, I'll be making an excel sheet type comparison of lenders that I'm looking into.

Let's be friends. :)

Good luck with the move!

As usual, per my OCD qualities, I'll be making an excel sheet type comparison of lenders that I'm looking into. PNC Bank has similar discounts of interest rates, in addition to possibly decreasing the GRADPlus loan interest from 8.5% to 7.5%. I'll post a link to my excel sheet once i'm done. I've found a few others, but can't remember details, hence my need to make a spreadsheet.

P.S. people making official plans for moving in and such? I'm moving from pgh to Philly August 1. should be fun! Let me know if anyone would be willing to help me and my parents carry heavy **** in exchange for me helping you carry your heavy ****.

Lucky us! I'm planning on moving to Philly from Pgh August 1st as well. My husband and I got an apartment at the Greenbriar Club place, and so long as there is no problem for an August 1st move-in date, that's when we're planning to go. My parents will be accompanying us there to help out, but we don't have a lot of stuff. (most of the big stuff will be there already, but that's another story...)

So we should meet up this summer before moving! :thumbup:

This is what I've got so far, but there are quite a few others to look into. I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly when the reduced interest rates kick in, so I'll be calling places like PNC because their 7.5% interest for GRADPlus seems too good to be true. It seems like no one will cover the 3% origination fee for the GRADplus, but a few will take care of the 1% default fees. I'm going to try to compare which will be a better savings of money, to not pay a default fee/origination fee, or to have a bigger interest rate reduction. I, personally, will probably go for the places that pay a fee for me so that I can keep more of my award (the way it works is that the government basically keeps a percentage of the money they award you as a fee, but you still have to pay it back...so you either get to spend that money yourself and pay it back or have the govt keep it and still have to pay it back).

Alot of banks are offering to pay the origination and/or the default fees for the stafford loans, and some offer a reduced interest at disbursement or repayment.

I'll update the sheet as I have time, and please let me know if you have any other bank's info that I can add to the sheet (or edit the spreadsheet and repost for the rest of us!)

Attachments

• lenders.xlsx
    10 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the info. but I can't open the document because the file extension xlxs doesn't work. As for PNC, I called them and anybody signing up with them now is NOT eligible for 7.5% (it would be the .60% and .30%) which still isn't too bad. Watchovia also has an interesting lender program for GRAD+ loans...3% back on all interest paid while in school with a 7.9% interest rate.

A lot of lenders are changing their rates...continuously, so their website information is not accurate for us. I suppose this means we'll have to make dozens of phone calls.

Just called PNCBank (I'm also in Pgh): Grad+ they do a 0.7% rate reduction that begins when you start repayment (if you set up an automatic withdrawal to make payments from a PNC Bank account) and you have to pay the 3% origination fee. For Stafford they do a 0.3% rate reduction (with the same conditions) and DO NOT pay the 1% origination fee but do pay the 1% default fee.

UPDATE: National City Bank: Will pay both origination fee and default fee with a 0.3% rate reduction upon repayment. For Grad+ they reduce the interest rate to 7.65% automatically. This is the best one I can find so far.

Someone at AES/PHEAA told me that whatever the rate is when we sign the MPN we're locked into that deal.

DOcat: I think something may be wrong with your excel file. I cannot open it either.

do you guys know what you'll be doing for health insurance? Is everyone going with the plans offered by PCOM for medical/dental? I saw the plans offered by SOMA, they might be a bit cheaper. Anyone have any other ideas?

out of shear laziness, i'm going to choose PCOM's health care plan.
But also, I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off either. the cost isn't bad for a year of health care in this country.

do you guys know what you'll be doing for health insurance? Is everyone going with the plans offered by PCOM for medical/dental? I saw the plans offered by SOMA, they might be a bit cheaper. Anyone have any other ideas?

The health plan from pcom is really good and worth every penny you pay for it.

i saved the excel sheet as an old version...so it might open now? I guess it might not even be worth it though, if all the information isnt accurate?? :mad: grrr banks and money. At least its a starting point. I need to call National City because they don't list their benefits on the website. Has anyone heard of a lender that doesnt make you pay for one of the fees for the Grad Plus loan?

Attachments

• lenders.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 158
Woohoo! I just sent in my deposit - going to be moving into Beekman in August. I was debating between living there and a nicer place in Wynewood but I liked the idea of being near the school since I heard we live there during first year :mad: and because it was cheaper and a good, safe place for a poor student like me. Allows me to skip out on buying a car for a little while so I can save up some more money.

is it just me... or is it just really hard to get in contact w/ PCOM financial aid reps? always getting transferred to voice mails. u leave a message, it doesnt matter... u wont get a call back. u can always try emailing. they wont respond back to that either.

*sigh*

is it just me... or is it just really hard to get in contact w/ PCOM financial aid reps? always getting transferred to voice mails. u leave a message, it doesnt matter... u wont get a call back. u can always try emailing. they wont respond back to that either.

*sigh*

I can't believe they haven't provided us with any financial aid info more than "fill out your fafsa and check your SAR." I mean picking a lender isn't rocket science, but SOME help would be nice.

I can't believe they haven't provided us with any financial aid info more than "fill out your fafsa and check your SAR." I mean picking a lender isn't rocket science, but SOME help would be nice.

It might be helpful to go to that financial aid talk that is being held there next Friday if you are local. They may be able to answer your questions. I can't go so I have been trying to get in touch with them and see if they are going to have any other sessions some time later in the summer. But I agree, they are pretty frustrating to deal with.

Hey Guys

Having some trouble with all this financial aid stuff. I've filled out my FAFSA and received my SAR report. Whats my next step? Do I start researching lenders and applying to see if I'll get a loan? Do you go to each individual lender's website or is there a website that has all of the banks consolidated to one site? Any help would be awesome.

Hey everyone,

Congrats on your acceptances. My roommate and I are two incoming first years looking for someone to fill the last spot in our 3 bedroom place near campus. We had the place filled but someone dropped out of PCOM leaving us with a vacancy. The rooms are not really set yet but the rent will be around 430 to 500 (tops) depending on the room you choose. The utilities are not included but we have plenty of off street and street parking and the place is real close to city ave and about a half mile to three quarters of a mile from campus so walking shouldn't be a problem. PM if you are still looking for a place and I can send you some pictures and more information on the place.

Gnugs

Last edited: