Official PCOM Class of 2012!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for the PCOM class of 2012 for just about anything!!

Members don't see this ad.

well, i guess I'll start. I'm currently trying to figure out the downpayment issues, and how to pay for all that with my itsy bitsy salary. haha, but everyone else did it so i guess i will too.

Ooo,
posting on a medical student forum~
hum~ feels nice~ :laugh:
I haven't made a final decision, yet. HOpe, you guys don't mind me visiting time to time~
peace out~

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome!! There is no one else...just me :( and i love the company!!:love:

what other schools are you considering?

hey~
where is everyone O.O :laugh: I guess they are all waiting...
anywho~
i'm waiting to hear from: MSUCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM and couple allos.
MSUCOM- state wide residency program:thumbup: 30K extra per year:thumbdown:
NYCOM- my bro lives in LI :thumbup: large student body:thumbdown:
UMDNJ-SOM - small class size:thumbup: No interview, yet:thumbdown:
allos- recognized in my mother land:thumbup: no OMM:thumbdown:

decisions, decisions~
patience, patience~

Yay- I can post here too! I am definetely going to PCOM- sent in my deposit and withdrew my apps from other schools.

Trying to enjoy the next ~10 months before it all begins, but I can't wait!

hey, i decided to apply after getting my MCAT. Anyone a Delaware resident? I got a 25 R (10 V, 8 B and 7 P). is it worth applying this late?

hey, i decided to apply after getting my MCAT. Anyone a Delaware resident? I got a 25 R (10 V, 8 B and 7 P). is it worth applying this late?

A student tour guide at the MSU told me he applied around late oct. or early nov. and got in. Your MCAT looks good to me, but you may need excellent EC's and GPA(~3.5+). also, they love nontraditional students~ and community volunteer experiences.
However, I'm not on the committee :D so, what do I know~
Good Luck:thumbup:

well, i guess, we're the only ones that have even heard yet! I'm going to be sending in my first deposit/reply this week! Hopefully there'll be a few more people to post here within the next few weeks!

So, did everyone get the Luncheon/Lecture invitation?

I also got into PCOM! I would love to go to that school. However, I'm still deciding between a few other DO schools and have two allo interviews coming up. Oh well, I have at least a month to throw down a deposit.(this is me deciding):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, Ilikescience!

Playmakur42,
I used to goto BlueMt alot. Haven't been there for about 2year :eek:! needed to keep up with school and ECs. I'm planing to hit the slop in VT this winter! It's gonna be awesome~!
Oh, I'm also on a shopping mode for new set of board. sold mine on ebay 2years ago to conc. on school:laugh:. everyone, thought I was a nut for doing that.:laugh::laugh:

Yeh, most likely I'll be going to the lunch! As long as there is no emergency situation. Shoud we wear suits, like interview?

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement!!! Congrats to everyone as well! I am super stoked on PCOM! I am almost sure I will go to Philly! The only negative about the school is I will be far from my family, who are in SoCal:(.

regarding playurmaker4's comment: My avatar is an old ad about the adverse affects of pleasuring thy self. Just trying to spread the word so no more innocent kittens have to die.

n6708814_30750343_4979.jpg

Hey there everyone! Just thought I would say hello and throw out my PCOM love to the thread. I interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and I fell madly in love with it! I felt at home right off the bat which was a big deal for me. I have acceptances elsewhere which I am very grateful for but DAMN I want to go to PCOM!! :D

Hopefully the next time I post here I will be an 'official' poster!! Here's to waiting two more weeks and chewing off my nails! :p

I've recently been accepted to PCOM and wanted to get to know some of my fellow students.

I also need to find a place to live. Can anyone help me with areas in Philly I should avoid? I've been to Philly many times but only in the downtown area. Which areas near the school are good? My husband and I are looking to buy something possibly, but might rent for a year in order to get a better look at houses.:)

I've recently been accepted to PCOM and wanted to get to know some of my fellow students.

I also need to find a place to live. Can anyone help me with areas in Philly I should avoid? I've been to Philly many times but only in the downtown area. Which areas near the school are good? My husband and I are looking to buy something possibly, but might rent for a year in order to get a better look at houses.:)

Crap another PCOM girl off the market...

Well I guess I'll give you some advice anyway... haha

Property values around the city line area are completely exorbitant... That's why most students choose to rent, although it is def throwing a huge chunk of money down the drain each and every month. Some popular complexes in the area such as Greenbriar Club and Lincoln Green have some larger options in multi-level apartments or townhomes... but again, those are only for-rent.

Most students choose to live in teh city line/manayunk area, but there are others who commute from surrounding communities such as narbereth and ardmore...

There are crap complexes in the area, but if you and smart about your choices there are some really nice places... but you will have to pay for them most-likely. Make sure to check reviews of complexes and also that you check sites like craigslist etc..

Good luck and see you next year...

Thanks a lot MaximusD. I've never even heard of narbereth and ardmore. I know there are still like 8 months left before school starts but I'm so anixous to start! --- I guess I am officially a loser.:rolleyes:

Hi everyone I'm heading to Philadelphia too! I am super excited as well. PCOM is such a great school! Looking for housing too.

haha, you're not a loser until you make an excel spreadsheet for the apartments

let me know if you want a copy. its basically a short comparison of prices and amenities from one of the philly apartment websites.

Yeah PCOM!! I just got my letter last night and I am so excited!

I got a letter from another top choice school that I figured I had no shot at so I'm back to having to make a decision! :mad:

I love PCOM though so hopefully it won't be too tough to decide. :)

haha, you're not a loser until you make an excel spreadsheet for the apartments

let me know if you want a copy. its basically a short comparison of prices and amenities from one of the philly apartment websites.

Send it my way DOcat! Is there a way to send a link or e-mail through the forum?

Hey All,

Just turned in my deposit to PCOM.

DOcat, I also may need a copy of that spreadsheet....haha

hey, i figured out how to attach a file! ok, you computer hackers...no searching through my computer...its slow enough on its own!!:laugh:

Attachments

• philadelphia apartments.xls
    15 KB · Views: 347
So Q on apartments.

Correct me if i'm wrong, to live by yourself you're look at about 900$/mo.
for a roommate down to 400$/mo.

I was wondering also, would it be more feasible to live a train ride away and just take septa to get to school? I could see saving some money that way, anyone know how that would work out?

So Q on apartments.

I was wondering also, would it be more feasible to live a train ride away and just take septa to get to school? I could see saving some money that way, anyone know how that would work out?

Sorry I'm a bit late to answering this question but I currently live in Philly and per my understanding, there are no trains that go City Line Avenue where PCOM is located. I am not sure about the buses either. I am pretty sure there aren't any direct buses there so you would have to switch somewhere which seems like a pain in the butt when you have to make it to Anatomy at 8am! I am planning to live in the surrounding suburbs so that it's cheaper and so that I can keep a car. I know that PCOM has a garage and street parking for students.

As for rent, your calculations seem on the low side though I live in the city near UPenn so my idea of paying rent is very skewed. I imagine that you may be able to find rent for that amount in the surrounding apts near the campus but a current student would be a better resource.

So Q on apartments.

I live in University City right on USP's campus, a few blocks over from PENN. I pay 306/month plus about 30 for utilities. It's a 3br apt ( I live in one room, total rent for the apt is 918) with only one bathroom and no living room, that's the catch i suppose, but I get by just fine. I plan on keeping this should I get into PCOM as it only took me about 15 minutes to drive to my interview. Look around university city you should be able to get some good deals.

Did anyone goto the Luncheon?

Does anyone at PCOM know if spouses get free membership to the gym?? If it's not free, can they join as a paying member??

hey guys!! just wanted to throw out an invite to join the facebook group!! (i figured it's about time we can all know each other for real!) hopefully it will work for you guys, but if it doesnt just search groups for PCOM class of 2012!!

I just wanted to say that I had a great conversation last night with a new friend and fellow SDNer about PCOM. He is an MS-III and has had a great experience there. I was on the fence for quite some time between there and MSUCOM but now I know where I really want to be.

Some great info he gave that I thought I would share -

1) for anyone interested in the UPenn system - a new IM residency just started at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, through collaboration with PCOM.

2) too many clubs and sports leagues to choose from to give yourselves a break

3) great flexibility in rotations

4) great balance for students to maintain a personal life and ECs apart from your academic life. Relatively more free time than other medical schools though I have heard this from a lot of PCOM students

5) several times a year, you get to sit down with the dean and have a class chat on how things are going and ask him anything

6) Relatively competitive free environment - truly is a large family!

It was nice to finally hear these things from someone who is in the system and not just through rumours. I'm ready to start!

Did anyone goto the Luncheon?

I did. It was simple and informative though the food was not that great :p But I spent the afternoon talking with the Dean and we were also introduced to the CEO of the institution as well. It personally made me even more interested in going and happy to put down my deposit. :D

Thanks for the insight, fireflygirl!

Does anyone have a link to PCOM's class schedule? Something more detailed than the list of classes on the curriculum. I am trying to get an idea of how much class time there is vs. how much independent study time. Thanks!

i forget from interview day, but do any of you know if the curriculum is systems based? also, what is philly like? when i interviewed i didn't get a chance to check out the city and it seems like 99% of the students were from PA. is there going to be another luncheon or orientation type deal? hope to see you all next year!!

system based is what I was told.
as for philly,
there are much to discover and check out. best thing to do will be visiting a friend around the region for few days. if that's not possible, I can tell you that there are plenty restaurants(different ethnicity) to try and placed to hang out. The shore and the mtn is about an hour or 2 away, so is nyc(2hours). I think it's a great place to be and the crime rate is overrated...
places not to wonder around after dark: north philly and west philly(parts of and west of upenn)....can't thnk of any other places for now...
Anyhow, you'll have fun discovering philly.
Have Fun!

Got my acceptance in the mail yesterday. PCOM 2012, now I can relax.

Just got my acceptance on 12/14, only took 9 days! Looks like PCOM is where I will be headed in the fall.

Congrats RawkusMD!! That acceptance is a great feeling. I smiled like this when I got the acceptance letter :D :thumbup:

and congrats to you too packitinstan!:D

I saw I am Legend last week. due to the crazy zombie population that is supposed to be growing, I think I'm begining to consider getting a roommate to protect me. :scared:

You need someone to protect you from crappy movies like I am Legend.

Does anyone have a link to PCOM's class schedule? Something more detailed than the list of classes on the curriculum. I am trying to get an idea of how much class time there is vs. how much independent study time. Thanks!

If you haven't had your questions answered yet, just PM me and I can send you a copy of the 1st/2nd year schedule.

The schedules change every year and they are only located on Nucleus (PCOM's network program to check email, grades, blackboard, etc.).

Oh yea, to those that could not attend the luncheon. PCOM usually holds another one around April and also they have an informative Financial Aid workshop in ~June.

what is the testing schedule like?

i find myself stalking SDN forums more now than during the application process...mostly because i'm bored. soo....anyone have thoughts on when they're going to start looking for an apartment? also, I just looked at the FAFSA for this year. not fun.