Official PCOM Class of 2012!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I read on another subforum here that most med schools have an MS1 summer break...

I couldn't find this info at all unfortunately on PCOM's website, does anyone have an academic calendar for PCOM that doesn't suck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm trying to decide between PCOM and KCOM. Anyone feel like helping me decide?

So I read on another subforum here that most med schools have an MS1 summer break...

I couldn't find this info at all unfortunately on PCOM's website, does anyone have an academic calendar for PCOM that doesn't suck.

The summer break is usually from the beginning of June to August 15thish..plus or minus a week for orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I'm trying to decide between PCOM and KCOM. Anyone feel like helping me decide?

Nope. Just choose the one that you felt comfortable at while interviewing.

i hate filling out the fafsa, its been 2 yrs since I last filled one out. We have to wait for the w-2 forms from the employer before we can begin right?

i hate filling out the fafsa, its been 2 yrs since I last filled one out. We have to wait for the w-2 forms from the employer before we can begin right?

I'm wondering the same thing. Also, should we fill out parental information for PCOM to calculate our aid?

I'm wondering the same thing. Also, should we fill out parental information for PCOM to calculate our aid?

Yea I believe you have to wait until you get your W2 forms. I would highly suggest filling out the parental information for PCOM. That is how you qualify for their grants/need-based aid... (This year, if you sent in your parental information, most people in my class received an extra 4K for free. I received 5 thousand dollars.) Its not 30K dollars, but hey the 4K beats nothing.

I'm not sure what to do in my case. Do you have any idea how this will work for me since I'm a non-traditional student (28) who supports myself?

I remeber some other school mentioning that whether your are independent or dependent, one needs to file their parent's info on the FAFSA. I think PCOM's same way.

I'm not sure what to do in my case. Do you have any idea how this will work for me since I'm a non-traditional student (28) who supports myself?

It doesn't matter, everyone is an independent once they start graduate school. They will want it. Now if you can't get it, you can write them and explain your situation. Just talk to mom and dad and tell them to make a copy of their tax information.

so on the fafsa it says that we dont need to include parental info since we're grad students, but do we ignore that and file it, or do we send in separate info to PCOM?

so on the fafsa it says that we dont need to include parental info since we're grad students, but do we ignore that and file it, or do we send in separate info to PCOM?

No. You don't have to put it on your Fafsa, but you do need to send a copy of your parents income tax form to PCOM. The financial aid department uses the income tax form to designate who will receive need-based aid, etc.

Sorry, after reading my #57 post I left out some information. Since you are an independent, parental information isn't needed on FAFSA...but parental information is needed by PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember coming across a post that said that we'd be getting a littmann cardiology III through some club...is this accurate? what other goodies are included with tuition or club fees?

anybody know when skule starts??

I remember coming across a post that said that we'd be getting a littmann cardiology III through some club...is this accurate? what other goodies are included with tuition or club fees?

You will get your littmann a few days or more before your white coat ceremony. The stethescope and white coats are given to you as a gift from the Penn. Osteopathic Medical Assoc.

:D Is everyone here going to be at PCOM-GA this fall. I interviewed in October, and I think most of my group got accepted. It would be nice to see some familiar faces the first day of class!!

Hey guys, i'm graduating undergrad in chicago, from ohio and heading to PCOM for school. Any idea of any condos within a mile or 2 radius of pcom? congrats on getting in!!!

Louwolf - congrats on getting in! I am also looking for condos for August and so far I have just been finding real estate websites and looking there. You may want to look in towns such as Ardmore, Narbeth, Haverford, Wynnewood, and Bryn Mawr - they are all within 2-5 miles of PCOM. Also, PCOM is located on City Avenue and I know that I have seen some housing along City Avenue but not sure if it's apartments or condos. I have also looked on Craigslist and Rent.com. However, I think your best bet is to start looking on real estate websites which is where I have found some luck. I haven't seriously started looking just yet, but these are some of the ideas that someone who is seriously searching gave me.

No. You don't have to put it on your Fafsa, but you do need to send a copy of your parents income tax form to PCOM. The financial aid department uses the income tax form to designate who will receive need-based aid, etc.

Sorry, after reading my #57 post I left out some information. Since you are an independent, parental information isn't needed on FAFSA...but parental information is needed by PCOM.

I called the PCOM financial aid office and asked them.
They said to be considered for scholarships and grants from the school you need BOTH a copy of your parents' 2007 tax return AND parental information on the FAFSA .

If think this information is irrelevant because you are a.) Married or b.) have children or c.)are the primary provider of your household you can submit a letter to the financial aid office explaining your situation and ask them not to include your parental info. when creating a package for you.

I called the PCOM financial aid office and asked them.
They said to be considered for scholarships and grants from the school you need BOTH a copy of your parents' 2007 tax return AND parental information on the FAFSA .

If think this information is irrelevant because you are a.) Married or b.) have children or c.)are the primary provider of your household you can submit a letter to the financial aid office explaining your situation and ask them not to include your parental info. when creating a package for you.

Totally true, but it doesnt have to be this way. I never included my parental info on FAFSA, I just sent a copy of the tax form to PCOM...and that was more than enough information to get a scholarship and grants.

Oh well, in the end do as much as you can to get some money. Tuition is 35K and the max people usually get from PCOM by submitting their parental information is usually ~4K, so apply for lots of different types of scholarship programs if ya want to offset the cost of medical school.

Totally true, but it doesnt have to be this way. I never included my parental info on FAFSA, I just sent a copy of the tax form to PCOM...and that was more than enough information to get a scholarship and grants.

Oh well, in the end do as much as you can to get some money. Tuition is 35K and the max people usually get from PCOM by submitting their parental information is usually ~4K, so apply for lots of different types of scholarship programs if ya want to offset the cost of medical school.

OK, so I don't know if you can answer this or not, but if I don't include my parents information on the FAFSA, will that make my EFC go down?
With my parental info. plus my info. my EFC is around 22,000. Is that normal?
It seems really high to me considering I make jacksh*t.

Louwolf - congrats on getting in! I am also looking for condos for August and so far I have just been finding real estate websites and looking there. You may want to look in towns such as Ardmore, Narbeth, Haverford, Wynnewood, and Bryn Mawr - they are all within 2-5 miles of PCOM. Also, PCOM is located on City Avenue and I know that I have seen some housing along City Avenue but not sure if it's apartments or condos. I have also looked on Craigslist and Rent.com. However, I think your best bet is to start looking on real estate websites which is where I have found some luck. I haven't seriously started looking just yet, but these are some of the ideas that someone who is seriously searching gave me.

hey thanks a bunch, this should help!!!

So i'm looking into apartments, and I'm pretty much deciding between Beekman Place Apartment and Montgomery Court. I liked The McCallum apartments but they seem a little far away. Unfortunately I live in Pittsburgh, but hoping to get out to Philly for a visit to check them out. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on either of these?

p.s. i'm counting down the days til we get that binder!

So I have a kind of random question, but does PCOM accept American Express?

That 2,000 dollar deposit will definitely be going on a 0%APR for 15 months credit card if at all possible.

Where's the binder???!!!!

who is thinking about living with roommates or living alone? I know roommates are the more fiscally responsible thing to do...but I wasnt sure what everyones plans were. if we would get the binder, maybe then i'd have a better idea!! haha.:confused:

who is thinking about living with roommates or living alone? I know roommates are the more fiscally responsible thing to do...but I wasnt sure what everyones plans were. if we would get the binder, maybe then i'd have a better idea!! haha.:confused:

I am definitely thinking about roommates, but I would need to find someone who wouldn't mind living with my dog (awesome watchdog, but can be intimidating even though he wouldn't hurt anyone he knew). I think it is going to be a little tougher for me due to that fact. In general, I think roommates are the way to go because of finances and possible friendships (I would hope haha). Although, I have never had a roommate from hell so I still find living with people enjoyable. I just had my interview at PCOM last week and LOVED it. I am crossing my fingers for that binder someday soon :)

Just got back from my interview at Pee Sea Oh Em. There was no mention of it during the day, but does the school operate a roommate match to hook up students looking for a roommate or multiple roommates?

Take it easy;)

So I just got the binder - it gets me so psyched to start school. It has all types of good information on it, including our White Coat Ceremony Date - October 4th - though you can only bring 3 guests. I feel like such a dork, but have already set up my Nucleus account and am already checking it for announcements and such....I think the med school novelty is going to wear off the day we start Anatomy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey, i'm definitely looking for a roommate. the binder gives some sites to start apt searching but other than that, sign on to nucleus once you get it because pcom students are looking for roommates there too!

I saw the option to place out of Histology. What course will prepare us well enough to do this? Where can I take said course, before school starts?

does anyone know how the test schedule works?

Just want to say hey, i just got in, this is amazing

hey guys, when is our next deposit due and how much is it for? I figured it'd be on Nucleus, but alas....I can't find it.

So I know that PCOM would like to you provide your parents information even if you are an independent so that they can calculate your aid, but that you can write a letter withholding that information if you'd like. My question is: In terms of receiving need-based aid, wouldn't it be more advantageous to withhold your parents information?

I would like to bestow on you some humbling words of advice by the great Dr JPH:

On behalf of the graduating class of OMM Fellows I congratulate all of you on your acceptance and eventual matriculation to PCOM.

I can assure you that the remaining OMM Fellows are intelligent, compassionate and willing to work hard to guide you in your OMM education.

If I may, let me offer some advice for a successfull time at PCOM...

Relax...many of you will go through some wonderful and some awful things while at PCOM. There will be marriages, divorces, births, deaths...all surrounded by a giant cloud of uncertainty. You will all get through it if you take it one step at a time.

Help...help eachother. You are all working towards the same goal, to become an excellent osteopathic physician. Getting to the top of the class means nothing if you need to step on friends and future colleagues to do so. Remember...they will be your partners, referalls and best advertising some day.

Absorb...the information will fly at you faster than you can catch it. Taking a drink from a fire hydrant is a common analogy and that is pretty damn accurate. Take in what you can and read as much as you can. Never stop learning...your professors are still learning too.

Listen...the upperclassmen know what they are talking about. TRUST me on this one. As much as you may think you know, the premed is NOT the top of the foodchain (wait for the gasp to end). You are all the "best of the best" from college...but only a few of you will be the best at PCOM. If you want to be the best, learn from the best...those who have come before you.

Humility...you are a medical student. You are not an attending. Nurses, PAs, NPs, CNAs, EMTs...all of them have something to teach you. Be an educator and be a student. Your role is no more important than the good people who work in the cafeteria (and believe me, at PCOM those folks will tell you that straight up if you get an attitude). You are going to be a doctor...act like it. Be the leader. Set the example. Be the physician that gets a smile and nod of respect as you walk off the floor...not the one who gets a head shake and the middle finger.

Family...not only your family but the PCOM family. I was once rotating with a spunky 3rd year (while I was a 5th year) who knew she was good, but she would give you the white coat off her back. One day on rotations a student from another school (who was a 4th year) started to talk down to her...give her a little attitude. This third year stood her ground. "At PCOM we treat eachother with respect...we're a family here and if you can't act properly, then you're not welcome here." She was right. We take care of our own at PCOM. We welcome visitors with open arms and treat them like we would want to be treated. It sounds corny and very "Lifetime Movie-ish", but its the truth. Take care of your classmates and they will take care of you.

Give..."ask not what your school can do for you, but what you can do for your school." I said that...no one else. PCOM will provide you with the most powerful education in the world...the chance to become a physician. Give back to the school...doesnt have to be money or a new lecture hall, just your time.

Represent...remember that wherever you go you have the letters P-C-O-M on your coat. People will think better (or worse) of our school because of you. Wear the letters proudly and make your professors proud.

Just like the students who came before you worked to make things better for you by setting a positive example on rotations and in residency, you do the same.

With any luck I will have some small part in your education (as an intern and/or resident). It would be my pleasure.

If anyone ever has a question please feel free to PM me here. I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Again...you are now part of the PCOM family.

Congratulations and welcome.

Dr JPH is currently a surgery intern at PCOM.

:thumbup:

I saw the option to place out of Histology. What course will prepare us well enough to do this? Where can I take said course, before school starts?

you need tot ake an actual histology class and it can be taken anywhere as long as you recieve the qualifying final grade (not sur eif its a B or a C)

does anyone know how the test schedule works?

since we have blocks there is a test roughly ever three weeks. Sometimes is as olong as 6 weeks for GI in second year and as small as 2 weeks ofr the last test in Cell and Tissue in first year. At the end of each trimester there is an OMM written which falls within a week or so of the last test for the subject you are being taught. It is really a nice system

So I know that PCOM would like to you provide your parents information even if you are an independent so that they can calculate your aid, but that you can write a letter withholding that information if you'd like. My question is: In terms of receiving need-based aid, wouldn't it be more advantageous to withhold your parents information?

It isn't advantageous to withhold you parents info because it is hard to get aid. I have submitted a letter every year and haven't recieved anything.

It isn't advantageous to withhold you parents info because it is hard to get aid. I have submitted a letter every year and haven't recieved anything.

I didn't get aid until the end of my fourth year. Even though I submitted my own letter every year, I finally relented and submitted my parents' information at the end of my fourth year and the $ came pouring in. Draw your own conclusions.

Is everyone going to the new students orientation/open house on March 29th?

Can one of the current PCOM students post which hospitals the Core Rotation Sites are done? I saw a big list of "affiliated hospitals" but which ones are the core rotations done at? are any core rotations done at hahnemann hospital? thanks! can't wait to start in the fall!

Core rotations are done at many different affiliated hospitals and PCOM-directed family health care centers. Affiliated hospitals span from Pittsburgh to Long Island. All PCOM health care centers are in Philadelphia.

Core rotations also include the OMT/Family practice selective, which can be done with the D.O. of your choice in any state, and rural medicine, which must be done at specific locations throughout the state of PA.

Hahnemann is not an affiliate so you can't do a core rotation there. However, you can do as many electives there as you can arrange.

Hey Ga-PCOM Class of 2012!

Congratulations on your recent acceptance! My name is David Domino, a 2nd year Ga-PCOM medical student. I am sending out a thread to let your class know that I am selling my Suwanee townhouse and was wondering if any of my future fellow PCOM friends would be interested! It's a great investment opportunity for either yourself or parents!! The townhouse is nearly brand new! It's a spacious 3-bedroom, 2.5-bath home, located in a quiet, family-oriented community. And...it is only 12 minutes or so from school!!! Very convenient for sure! I have a flyer that I can email to you if you are interested that would provide you more details about the place. For any specific questions about the townhouse, please feel free to contact me at (716) 341-8678 or drop me a line at [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!!

Sincerely-

David Domino
OMS II
Ga-PCOM

Hey everyone. I am starting in the fall and trying to work out living arrangements. Anyone in the class of 2012 or 2011 looking to live with roommates next year? I always find I can live in a much nicer place if others are splitting the bill. If anyone is interested or thinking about it PM me. I will be up at the accepted students brunch and it will be a good chance to meet up and maybe even look at some places to live. Let me know.

So I just got the binder - it gets me so psyched to start school. It has all types of good information on it, including our White Coat Ceremony Date - October 4th - though you can only bring 3 guests. I feel like such a dork, but have already set up my Nucleus account and am already checking it for announcements and such....I think the med school novelty is going to wear off the day we start Anatomy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

How/when did you set up your nucleus?

How/when did you set up your nucleus?

Did you get the binder yet? It gives you instructions on how to do it via the welcome letter. It's fairly easy - they give you your username and a temp password and then you can go in and change the password to what you like.

But silly me, I have so many passwords for every freaking thing that I already locked myself out of Nucleus. :rolleyes:

Nope, no binder yet. I just got my LOA on friday and sent my $250 in so it will probably be coming shortly.

I'm in the same boat as you, deadpiratrobrts.

I just talked to PCOM today and found out that you and I should be receiving our financial aid information around April 1st, FYI. I hope that they give us a complete picture so that we can make informed decisions before we plop down that hefty deposit on the 15th!