>>>Official PCOM Class of 2009>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally received stuff from the school today. But I had called Student Wellness re: physical forms since I was going last week. The woman's name is Monica--she's really nice.

I think for IDs you can just roll up to the Bursar's office to get them taken and also get a parking pass ($120 for the year wasn't bad), but the garage is full.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, thanks for the info.

you know, i was in philly last week to sign my lease and i called about getting those pictures taken and they said "you must do it during orientation week." so, i figured that was the only option. i still feel like i am missing some form or something, though. but i guess if no one else heard about lockers/whitecoat invites/etc, i'm not the only one!

I just stumlbed on your thread. Glad you guys are still posting questions.

As for buying books, relax, I would not recomend buying all of your books now. There is no need to spend the money yet and you will no be using them right away.

You start with Anatomy (SPOM), you will need to get only those books and you can get them all at the book store. My recomendation is to get the Rhoen's and Board Review Series for Anatomy now.

You are always welcome to ask any of the second years as we all know exactly what you are all going through.

Enjoy your last few weeks before school begins.

PS: Feel free to PM me is you have additoinal questions or just post them and I will try to help you all out.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get your ID taken at any time. I was in the summer biochem class and we all had our pictures taken, just go to the bursar's office and in less than 5 minutes they will hand you an ID, you don't need any special forms.

how was the biochem class?

Hi All,

I am moving into my apartment tonight and I plan to head out tomorrow night which will be my first "official" night out in Philly. My girlfriend is joining me, so it will be a final girls night out before school begins. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to go to (e.g., bars, clubs, etc.)?

Anyone else receive their schedule. Mine only list three classes and Anatomy and Histology are not on there. Its pretty much OMM and patient care skills. Just curious cause it seems kind of light.

You got your schedule? I still have not even received my insurance forms...

newyorkcougar said:
You got your schedule? I still have not even received my insurance forms...

I would call about the insurance forms since they are due next week. Its not much of a schedule it just says you are signed up for these classes, day and times to come.

I finally got my schedule and I had to laugh. They are putting a lot of effort into making sure that everything is marked "osteopathic." This is an osteopathic school, but come on. I looked up "Structural Principles of Osteopathic Medicine" in the catalogue and it turns out that it is just anatomy. I laughed for a good five minutes about that one.

For anyone in the class of 2009 who didn't recieve the email....... someone started a group on www.myspace.com for our class. It's got some good info and looks like it will be a good way to get things organized socially for us. Check it out if you haven't already, under "PCOM Class of 2009".

ahhh what insurance forms?? if we have our own health insurance do we have to fill out forms? im on vacation now so that would be tough.

and i didnt get a schedule either

Members don't see this ad :)
annh31 said:
ahhh what insurance forms?? if we have our own health insurance do we have to fill out forms? im on vacation now so that would be tough.

and i didnt get a schedule either

If you have your own health insurance, you'll need to fill out an insurance waiver form and send a copy of your insurance card along with it. The waiver form is orange.

On one of the insurance mailings, it says that if you have any questions, you should call Denise Curran. Her number is 215-871-6871.

Good luck!

Just to let everyone know, today orientation schedule was released to your PCOM email. Enjoy the last days of summer before school. See you all at orientation

hey thanks for the info!

do you think it is ok to wait until orientation to buy books?

Most PCOM students I have talked to said to not even buy books till the second or third week till you find out which ones you actually need.

annh31 said:
hey thanks for the info!

do you think it is ok to wait until orientation to buy books?

pghyork said:
Just to let everyone know, today orientation schedule was released to your PCOM email. Enjoy the last days of summer before school. See you all at orientation

Hm...I didn't get the schedule. Anyone care to forward it to me? My PCOM account name is KarenSt.

thanks!

I emailed this to you at PCOM, but here it is for everyone to see:

Hi everyone,

Here are the times and dates for your Orientation program:

Monday, August 8: 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Tuesday, August 9: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm

Wednesday, August 10: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thursday, August 11: Histology Placeout Exam: 11:00 am

Friday, August 12: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm****

You will be reporting to campus on the 12th at 8:00 for a run-through of the ceremony. Seating begins at 9:15 at the Hilton for your 2 guests.

Sunday, August 14: 7:00 pm- 9:00pm

There are several events being planned for you by the Class of 2008, for Sunday, August 7, and the evenings of Tuesday, August 9 and Wednesday, August 10.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Have a safe move to Philadelphia. I look forward to seeing you all in August.

newyorkcougar said:
I emailed this to you at PCOM, but here it is for everyone to see:

Hi everyone,

Here are the times and dates for your Orientation program:

Monday, August 8: 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Tuesday, August 9: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm

Wednesday, August 10: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thursday, August 11: Histology Placeout Exam: 11:00 am

Friday, August 12: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm****

You will be reporting to campus on the 12th at 8:00 for a run-through of the ceremony. Seating begins at 9:15 at the Hilton for your 2 guests.

Sunday, August 14: 7:00 pm- 9:00pm

There are several events being planned for you by the Class of 2008, for Sunday, August 7, and the evenings of Tuesday, August 9 and Wednesday, August 10.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Have a safe move to Philadelphia. I look forward to seeing you all in August.

Thank you! Very helpful, and thanks to those who forwarded it to my PCOM account as well.

hey where did you guys get the class schedule?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for one additional ticket to our white coat ceremony, and was wondering if anyone will not be in need of both of theirs? I would really appreciate it if you could email me: [email protected]. Thank you!

Hey all,
Speaking of tickets, I'm also looking for a extra ticket if anyone doesn't need theirs. Please email me...Thanks alot!

Hey all,

Two things:

-I was just wondering if anyone knew what we needed to bring to the first day of orientation? (ie backpack with pen and paper or nothing).

-Also, I just moved to Philly over the weekend and oh my god the grocery stores are SO expensive!! (I'm from Pittsburgh) I can't afford to eat. Where do people shop and not spend an arm and a leg?

Thanks so much,
Claudia

hey did you try Acme? Someone told me that place isn't too bad?

annh31 said:
hey did you try Acme? Someone told me that place isn't too bad?

Yes, very expensive. The Greeter at the Walmart On S Columbus Blvd said they're one of the more expensive places. It seesms that one has to play the coupon cutting and specials game to eat reasonably. Thanks for the suggestion though!

guess there's nothin' like a good old Giant Eagle. :)

For any of you who aren't in the PCOM class of 2009 group on myspace.com.....

A big group of us are going to Brownies 23 east in Ardmore tonight.....

Hello All,

My wife and I are moving to Philly on Aug. 5th, and want to know if there are any get-togethers planned for this coming weekend. We will be living in Pennbrook Apts. by PCOM.

I look forward to meeting everyone at orientation.

James

drmanyee999 said:
Hey all,

Two things:

-I was just wondering if anyone knew what we needed to bring to the first day of orientation? (ie backpack with pen and paper or nothing).

-Also, I just moved to Philly over the weekend and oh my god the grocery stores are SO expensive!! (I'm from Pittsburgh) I can't afford to eat. Where do people shop and not spend an arm and a leg?

Thanks so much,
Claudia

1.Bring a pen and maybe a backpack, bag, etc. to orientation. You really don't need anything other than that. Most of the paperwork you receive will be in folders.

2. Find the nearest Walmart Supercenter (Pennsburg, PA). Do your grocery shopping for a month and buy perishables and everyday things at the dreaded acme.

raptor5 said:
1.Bring a pen and maybe a backpack, bag, etc. to orientation. You really don't need anything other than that. Most of the paperwork you receive will be in folders.

2. Find the nearest Walmart Supercenter (Pennsburg, PA). Do your grocery shopping for a month and buy perishables and everyday things at the dreaded acme.

I'm going to reveal myself as a bit of a social consciousness freak and say that I prefer not to shop at Wal-Mart due to all the terrible things I've read/heard about their horrendous labor practices. Are there any alternatives to shopping at Wal-Mart? Should I just suck it up and buy a Costco membership or something? Sometimes being socially conscious comes with a price tag, I am aware, but I think I can afford $30-35 a year to be true to my convictions.

Thanks for any info!

raptor5 said:

1. Thanks.

2. Made a trip today, can't live without my super walmart:) Thanks!

i tend to shop at pathmark (aka pathogen mart) you may chose to enjoy shopping at the often over crowded Acme on city line ave.

im not saying pathmark is better, i just prefer it due to ease of use.

haha pathogen mart. that's funny.

there's a whole foods if you go down city line and make a right on lancaster ave.

i've been doing some of my shopping there...when i feel the need for organic avacados and decent hummus and stuff.

**warning! it is sometimes expensive there***

but, like i said, the hummus is goooooood.

Hello,

I'm a 1-st year student at PCOM and it's been going great so far..we have a huge test on friday..then partying it up..to all the PCOM guys out there...what do you all think of the women in our class?? anyone know of any hotties and any that are single??? these exams are stressin me out..haha