>>>Official PCOM Class of 2009>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I'm sure that you will find many people to disagree w/ me about Dell.....but for the price I paid I am thrilled w/ my Dell 600m. Perfect size and weight for me....and for under 1900$, with dell's weekly discounts, I have 4 years unconditional warrantee, 1.8 gig Pentium M, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig hard drive, wireless a/b/g, cd/dvd burner, svga+ screen, 64mb radeon video card, internal bluetooth and a carrying case.

People may complain about Dell's quality sometimes (which I find unfounded), but my 4 year complete coverage warrantee puts me at ease. Also, when configuring this computer with IBM/Sony/Toshiba it ends up at well over 3000$.

I'll admit that this is a bit of overkill for what we'll need during school...with all the discounts I got I maxed out a lot of the options above the necessities. If you check online you can find 750$ coupons for dell inspiron notebooks and if not, every few weeks the comp's are at least 20% off. Buying a comp is like buying a mattress in this regard...always on sale and no one should ever pay full price.

One other point is that I would have loved to get a mac powerbook, but I've heard that there may be some software that we get with textbooks, etc that are only pc compatible and I don't want to deal with the hassle of that later on down the road. Also, potential problems with future PDA's working with Macs were another reason.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure some more technically inclined folks on here will offer some more advice.

Members don't see this ad.

As for what will be sufficient, I'm no expert, but I would assume that a 1.3 Pentium M (the min offered on some new laptops), 40gig hard drive, 512 RAM, and wireless b/g would get the job done just fine.

Does anyone know if we are required to get a physical/submit immunization records/and have a background check completed prior to matriculation?

The aforementioned has been requested from other schools and I was wondering if PCOM requires it too...

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as a physical and immunization records, we are supposed to be getting a mailing soon about that. Some have already recieved it and when I called to ask why I hadn't they said that depending on when you got your acceptance, mailings go out at different times. I haven't heard anything about a backround check...

DocGina said:
Does anyone know if we are required to get a physical/submit immunization records/and have a background check completed prior to matriculation?

The aforementioned has been requested from other schools and I was wondering if PCOM requires it too...

You will have to get a complete physical w/ immuno records before you matriculate, you will get a packet in the mail. Regarding the laptop, you don't need one, but if you are going to get one for school activities only, you can get away with the Pent M 1.3 / 40G HD / 512M RAM / b/g. You could even get a celeron if you are really strapped for cash. Taus did the right thing by getting the extended warrenty since Dell has a poor build quality reputation but I wouldn't get more than 2 years. Most problems are going to rear their head in that time frame and you are going to be more PDA based in your clinical years.

to the incoming first years

we all look forward to working with you, and enjoy your summer of getting to know philly and the various sites of ETOH imbibing.

:laugh:

oh yeah.... dont raise your hand in Fogels class and say "is this disease related to Sneddons syndrome?"

BUT

do know the 11 signs of SLE :D

Ill add my two cents to what Ultimate said as we worked together alot our first year...

Anatomy : Netter (Chung helps for review and Rohen helps when too burnt out for lab, i also had a copy of atkins anatomy review on DVD, i loved using it, and i found that it really helps)

Development : Before we are born ( I never used this book)

OMM : Foundations (again never used it, i bought green savarese, enjoyed it and our class for the last two OMM exams put a packet together for the readings, your class may do the same)

Primary Care : Bates

Biochem : Lippencott's Review of Biochem (key for cell and tissue)

Immuno : Parham (read it to clarify various topics in Immuno, helpful :thumbup:

Microbio : Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple (learn to love this book)

Physio : Dubin for EKG, Board Review Series for Physiology (Ultimate is on the money, learn to love Dubin, BRS once again FTW :thumbup: )

Pharm : Katzung (i did not use katzung but bought it, i felt comfortable using Lippicotts review of pharmacology, your mileage may vary)

Path : Robbins (learn it, love it, live it)

Medicine : Harrison's (see above for Robbins)

some people hated robbins, but then there were uber nerds like me who totally loved reading it, my cats also found it fascinating to sleep on occsionally....

UltimateDO said:
You will have to get a complete physical w/ immuno records before you matriculate, you will get a packet in the mail. Regarding the laptop, you don't need one, but if you are going to get one for school activities only, you can get away with the Pent M 1.3 / 40G HD / 512M RAM / b/g. You could even get a celeron if you are really strapped for cash. Taus did the right thing by getting the extended warrenty since Dell has a poor build quality reputation but I wouldn't get more than 2 years. Most problems are going to rear their head in that time frame and you are going to be more PDA based in your clinical years.

As far as the PDA is concerned, am I correct in assuming that I will have no real use for it until clinical years?

Also, regarding the 2 year vs. 4 year warrantee, I agree with your thinking about when problems occur, however Dell's "Complete Care" accident coverage will 100% cover me should I spill or drop my computer at any time within these 4 years. Also, I'm going to be in no position financially to buy a new comp during these 4 years, so if something happens to my comp 3.5 years from now, I'll gladly accept a new one from Dell for free....

I've been looking up prices so I can budget for these books, but need a few things clarified, as several of them exist in a few variations.

1) Regarding Robbins for Path, is it:
a. Robbins Basic Pathology or
b. Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease
c. Robbins Review of Pathology
d. combo of text and review

2) Regarding Katzung for Pharm:
a. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (Lange Basic Sciences)
b. Katzung and Trevors Pharmacology
c. Katsungs' Pharmacology: examination and board review
d. a combination of text and review

3) Harrisons' for Pharm
a. Harrisons' Manual of Medicine
b. Harrisons' Principles of Internal Medicine

Thank you so much to any of the PCOM veterans who can help me with this. I'm sure you'd be helping plenty of others who are in the same boat as me too.

surrender903 said:
robbins :

7th edition (about 100 dollars)

katzung (you want the one you marked as A)

harrisons : harrisons principles of IM 16th edition

Thanks a lot for the info...just one more Q...

Both Robbins Books are 7th editions... is it the "Robbins Basic Pathology" or "Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease"

Taus said:
Thanks a lot for the info...just one more Q...

Both Robbins Books are 7th editions... is it the "Robbins Basic Pathology" or "Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease"

Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease

I was able to view actual pages of texts such as
Clinical Anesthesiology published by Lange Using

http://print.google.com

Search terms are "early depolarization"

I had found information on "early depolarization"
using a normal google search. The next day I
was looking at other services that google provides
and decided to try the search of print. The range of
publishing dates for the search results was 1989-2005.

1. Immediately gain access to books you don't
have access to
2. Preview a book that you are considering to
purchase
3. Read information from a very specialized text
that your library doesn't have in its holdings
4. Preserve the health of your intervertebral discs
and preserve your ego from bags with wheels :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Any PCOM '09ers (or '08ers) still looking for a roommate? I'm female, 22, very easygoing, neat, like cooking, and just looking for a relatively quiet, spacious place to share. Location isn't terribly important to me, although access to public transport would be a plus.

Please PM me if you're interested or know of anyone who may be interested!

thanks,
Karen

Are there any PCOMers out there looking for a roommate? I am a female, 20, clean, easygoing, respectful, honest and I am just looking for a 2br apt to share...please PM me if you're interested! Thanks

I just received a bunch of mailings from PCOM, but alas, no information about the required physical. Does anyone have an idea of when I should expect to receive these forms?

DocGina said:
I just received a bunch of mailings from PCOM, but alas, no information about the required physical. Does anyone have an idea of when I should expect to receive these forms?

It has something to do with when you were accepted to the school. I sent my in because it is due on the 25th. They gave two months. All it really requires is blood work showing you have titers to all the major disease MMR, Hep B (you can opt out), a tetnus and diptheria in the last 5 years and a TB test. You could go to your doctor ahead of time and get this done while you are waiting for the form.

I am wondering more about the finacial aid at this point.

JonnyG said:
It has something to do with when you were accepted to the school. I sent my in because it is due on the 25th. They gave two months. All it really requires is blood work showing you have titers to all the major disease MMR, Hep B (you can opt out), a tetnus and diptheria in the last 5 years and a TB test. You could go to your doctor ahead of time and get this done while you are waiting for the form.

You're correct, as it does depend on when you were accepted. I called to verify this when I had not recieved a few mailings that others had. Also, about the financial aid mailing, I got the fafsa/stafford one in the mail yesterday. I guess I'm going to put the pieces together for the private loans after the seminar this Friday.

Taus said:
You're correct, as it does depend on when you were accepted. I called to verify this when I had not recieved a few mailings that others had. Also, about the financial aid mailing, I got the fafsa/stafford one in the mail yesterday. I guess I'm going to put the pieces together for the private loans after the seminar this Friday.

I talked to financial aid the other day about when we will find out about private loans. The woman I spoke with said that they were still certifying loans for 2nd year students and would begin processing for incoming 1st years in 2 weeks. So hopefully we will know whats up by the end of the month.

On a side note...myself and others on this thread have expressed interest of having some sort of class meet up for those of us hanging around philly for the summer. So I'm going to throw out the idea of this Friday after the Financial Aid seminar. I figure alot of us will end up going so it would make for a good day to get together for a few drinks with our future classmates. I propose happy hour somewhere in Manayunk since its only like 5 mins from campus. If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to chime in.

Last year a bunch of us got together at the Manayunk Brew house. It was nice to be outside and along the river.

I wish you all the best, you have a chalanging year ahead of you but it really does fly.

I can't seem to find the paper PCOM sent us about the financial aid presentation. What time are we supposed to arrive at? and where?

The financial aid presentation is at 1:00pm in the OMM lab in Evans Hall. It's supposed to run until 4. They are having a lunch before that I believe.

JonnyG said:

Thanks JonnyG. I was accepted on 2/16- were you accepted well before that? BTW- Thanks for the info. It's a relief since I've already had blood work showing titers, tetnus, HepB vacc, and TB testing- I guess I just need PCOM's forms so I can have my DO fill them out and send them in for me. There are specific PCOM forms to fill out, correct?

hey, i'm also an incoming student to PCOM's class of 2009. I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hey everyone!
I don't know if many people are already familiar with myspace.com, but it's becoming really popular lately. I figured I'd start a group for the PCOM class of 2009. That way we can post pictures, get a better sense for who we all are, and maybe arrange to get together before orientation. If you're interested, here's the link:

http://groups.myspace.com/PCOM2009

Jen
PCOM Class of 2009

The only thing I have to say is, buckle up...This will be the fast four years of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Congrats to all..... :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Hey guys, I hope everyone is enjoying their last few weeks of sanity. I was curious how many of you are taking the optional biochem class. A lot of the people I spoke to at the finaid workshop said they were not taking it and was beginning to wonder if I would be the only one at the course.

I can't make it, as I'll still be in MI/PA. However, a friend of mine (to be MS II) said the course was worthless. Just what I heard though.

shan-bot 2000 said:
is anyone gonna be around this summer? i'll be moving to philly next week!
Where are you moving to? I'll be in Philly the last week of July. I'll be looking to relax and kick back in Philly with my classmates before school starts! PM me if you'd like to try to form a group to meet up!

did anyone else get offered an automatic defferral. Apparently the class is larger than expected.

JonnyG said:
did anyone else get offered an automatic defferral. Apparently the class is larger than expected.

Got the letter, but not interested. I guess it's probably that $2000 deposit thats keeping people from having a last minute change of heart.

Yeh, It was a little late. Worked my last day of work today. Not that I would have considered it anyway.

JonnyG said:
Worked my last day of work today.

Whew, That must feel good. I'm working till the week before orientation. But when I leave my job I will get paid back for the 6+ weeks of vacation time I have saved up.

Ok, so here are two questions:

1. Do we really need to have our books in class? Or are they the outside of class/at home reference and study material. Becuase quite frankly i cant remember the last time I actually brought a book to class, its not like we're going to take turns reading paragraphs are we!?

2. I'm fairly sure that i purchased the heaviest laptop known to mankind. The Dell Inspiron 5150 has a beautifully slender carry weight of about twice that of a normal laptop, weighing in at just under 10lbs. I was thinking about buying a second (less powerful and half as heavy) laptop to bring to class if necessary. I know LECOM requires their students to own and tote a laptop around to class, but how useful are they to us at PCOM????

Should I get back to heavy lifting at the gym to prepare to lug all this stuff around, or can I make it through with the paper and pen method??? :confused:

dermak said:
Ok, so here are two questions:

1. Do we really need to have our books in class? Or are they the outside of class/at home reference and study material. Becuase quite frankly i cant remember the last time I actually brought a book to class, its not like we're going to take turns reading paragraphs are we!?

2. I'm fairly sure that i purchased the heaviest laptop known to mankind. The Dell Inspiron 5150 has a beautifully slender carry weight of about twice that of a normal laptop, weighing in at just under 10lbs. I was thinking about buying a second (less powerful and half as heavy) laptop to bring to class if necessary. I know LECOM requires their students to own and tote a laptop around to class, but how useful are they to us at PCOM????

Should I get back to heavy lifting at the gym to prepare to lug all this stuff around, or can I make it through with the paper and pen method??? :confused:

Question 1. NO for in-class. Outside reading/reference - maybe. Now whether you really need it for outside reading/references dependings on the individual students and their study habbits

Question 2 - PCOM doesn't require any computers/laptops. They only require you have access to the internet (somehow) should you need to check your email while not-on-campus (since almost all major announcements occur via email). Many students get by w/o having any computers and just using the computer labs. I have never seen the computer lab completely FULL. Anyway, PCOM also offers wifi access throughout the first 2 floors and the 2 lecture halls (ginsberg and zedeck). Might be helpful to have the powerpoints on your laptop during lectures. But that's individual preferences. Most students like to print out the powerpoints so they can write down notes. Paper and pen method will work just fine if that's what you are used to.

Hope that helps

To all current/past PCOM students:

How useful do/did you find the "big" textbooks, ie Harrisons, Katzungs Pharm., Robbins Path., etc?

Do you need them in conjunction with lecture notes in order to adaquately prepare for exams or will the notes suffice? Or does it depend on the individual class/professor?

I am asking because in undergrad I stopped buying textbooks after 3 semesters, as I studied solely from my lecture notes. Will this get the job done w/ most PCOM classes or are the texts a necessity (ie more then the occasional, brief reference)? I did buy Netter and Rohen for anatomy as I've heard those, or at least Netter, are indispensible.

Thanks for any input/advice that you can provide.

did anyone actually buy books yet? am i really behind here?? :confused:

also, anyone need a roommate???

THey haven't sent out the booklist yet. Check your PCOM email, they just sent out an email about frequently asked questions and addressed that.

do any of you know what the total budget for the class of 2009 is? i am trying to find out how much they allow us to apply for private funding on top of the 38,500 of the stafford loan. thanks.

The budget is $56,883

tuition and fees - $34,122
room and board - $13,190
books and supplies - $1,230
health insurance - $2,196 (high option)
instr. and equip. - $625
transportation - $2,810
pers. expenses - $2,560
class dues - $150

This information was given out in a packet during the financial aid presentation.

hed164 said:
The budget is $56,883

tuition and fees - $34,122
room and board - $13,190
books and supplies - $1,230
health insurance - $2,196 (high option)
instr. and equip. - $625
transportation - $2,810
pers. expenses - $2,560
class dues - $150

This information was given out in a packet during the financial aid presentation.

thanks! i was away and couldn't attend the meeting. did i miss anything important at that meeting?

So, Studenet Affairs hasn't sent me any love, after I asked them to (re) mail info re: white coat ceremony. Can someone tell me when (day and time) it is? Much appreciated!

So, Student Affairs hasn't sent me any love, after I asked them to (re) mail info re: white coat ceremony. Can someone tell me when (day and time) it is? Much appreciated!

Yeah so what the f is that email regarding the additional bloodwork we need to get done. I have my physical done in May and now I have to go back and get more tests...grrrrrr

Of course some of us do not have are company's health insurance. I emailed her, there really is no rush on it, but how they just found this out in July is not a great sign

JonnyG said:
Of course some of us do not have are company's health insurance. I emailed her, there really is no rush on it, but how they just found this out in July is not a great sign

Did she say what it was for? I just had my physical there yesterday, wonder if I need to go back.

EastCoaster78 said:
Did she say what it was for? I just had my physical there yesterday, wonder if I need to go back.

They didn't put VARICELL-ZOSTER VIRUS on the form. You need titers and a vaccine immunization date.

i read in a couple of letters that we "will be receiving information in july" regarding lockers, parking, getting ID photos taken, white coat ceremony invitations, etc...but i didn't get any of that stuff. am i the only one here, or did you guys not get it either?

and that is ridiculous about more bloodwork. this will be the third time i have to get it done because the nurse wrote the wrong order for it the first time. oh, my arms...

annh31 said:
i read in a couple of letters that we "will be receiving information in july" regarding lockers, parking, getting ID photos taken, white coat ceremony invitations, etc...but i didn't get any of that stuff. am i the only one here, or did you guys not get it either?

and that is ridiculous about more bloodwork. this will be the third time i have to get it done because the nurse wrote the wrong order for it the first time. oh, my arms...

I had to call the student wellness center and asked for the forms for the physical to be faxed to my house. Evidentally they just did a mass mailing on the 15th of July (not sure what all was mailed out besides the paperwork for getting a physical). The only thing that I heard about photo ID pics is that there is normally a lot of people in line during orientation week and they reccommend going before Aug. 9th. Again, not sure if we need paperwork before you can get the ID, you probly only need to show up with your driver's license. Already got parking information (parkade already full, but room in other lot), but still no word on lockers.