>>>Official PCOM Class of 2009>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do not listen to will about making charts

he is just a chart addict, many of us in the class of 2008 are trying to get him off this habit

i heard about it when i got in which was way back in december of 2003

Members don't see this ad.

Rbt, that's funny we were both in AC the same night. I played mostly at Caesers and Bally's (bally's has a poker room).
I just got a call from CCOM that I got accepted, so it looks as if I will be leaving Philly. And I just put down my PCOM deposit two days ago :mad: The only thing to be determined now is where I'll be, Chicago or S.F.
Sorry I won't be classmates with you guys, good luck with school and still feel free to message me with any questions you might have about the city.

Just wanted to congratulate the Class of 2009 and welcome you to PCOM. Relax and enjoy the rest of college of whatever else you are doing. Dont stress about studying before school or buying books. Take everything as it comes.

See you first years (and your second years out there) in November for OMM Lab.

JPHazelton

Members don't see this ad :)
Shake,
I just got an interview at CCOM, and I'm wondering why you chose midwestern over philadelphia? I'm set on going to pcom, but maybe your thoughts will make me at least see ccom and make a more educated decision. Thanks for your time.

Rbt118 said:
Shake,
I just got an interview at CCOM, and I'm wondering why you chose midwestern over philadelphia? I'm set on going to pcom, but maybe your thoughts will make me at least see ccom and make a more educated decision. Thanks for your time.

I actually choose the opposite (pcom over ccom). At the core the schools are exactly the same, reputation, people, location, etc. CCOM campus is nicer, but its colder. In the end, I decided there was no real advantage to moving out there.

Hey rbt,
gotta preface this by saying i'm going to neither, i chose TUCOM cause I want to be in CA and my girlfriend goes there. That being said, I liked CCOM better because of the campus and their attractive clinical rotations at the best hospitals alongside all the other Chicago med students. Though the teaching hospitals may be good, they don't have the prestige of the likes of Cook County. Both schools have been established for over 100 years and both cities are DO friendly. But PA healthcare is in shambles and you also need to do that extra year to be accredited in PA, but not IL. I also thought i needed to leave philly because I get no studying done here b/c all my friends are here. I think you should at least go for the interview and see how you like it. Best of luck to ya, and if you want to talk about it over a few beers I'll be in town for a while.

MasterShakeDO said:
you also need to do that extra year to be accredited in PA, but not IL.

Quick clarification

The AOA internship year requirement should not be a factor in where you go to school. If you go to TUCOM, PCOM, or CCOM and don't do the AOA internship (or get the AOA approval for ACGME internship), then you can't practice in the 5 states and also can't be board certified by an AOA board (board of osteopathic surgery, board of osteopathic pediatrics, etc)

You can graduate from PCOM and practice in IL, just as you can graduate from CCOM and practice in IL (all w/o doing an AOA internship)

Of course, if you want to do a residency in IL, then going to CCOM will be better. Of course, if you want to do a residency in PA/NJ/DE, then going to PCOM would be better.

Anywya, just a quick clarification. Have fun at Touro.

And good luck to the PCOM Class of 2009 - before you know it, your bedmate will soon be Netter and Grant :)

I just posted the same question in the cranial sticky, but i was afraid y'all might not see it. How is cranial taught at PCOM? How much time is spent on it? A semester? More? Is it part of the osteopathic principles class? What year do you start it? How "out there" is it at PCOM? I have heard of schools lighting incense and candles. Does PCOM do that? Tell me everything you know about it at PCOM! Thanks!

newyorkcougar said:
I just posted the same question in the cranial sticky, but i was afraid y'all might not see it. How is cranial taught at PCOM? How much time is spent on it? A semester? More? Is it part of the osteopathic principles class? What year do you start it? How "out there" is it at PCOM? I have heard of schools lighting incense and candles. Does PCOM do that? Tell me everything you know about it at PCOM! Thanks!

newyorkcougar, under your name it says "DMU 2009" - why would someone in DMU Class of 2009 want to know more about the cranial education at PCOM? Just curious

Cranial was taught during 2nd trimester of 2nd year. We spent 2 maybe 3 hours in lecture, and1.5 hr in lab. It wasn't tested on the practical.

For those interested in learning more about cranial, there was an extracurricular course offered in cranial.

Cranial consisted of background/history, theory behind cranial, relevant research on CRI, and biomechanics of SBS (i.e., torsion, lateral strain, compression, etc). There was no candles or incense.

Group_theory
PCOM Class of 2007

I was wondering what the name of the apartments adjacent to PCOM are called and any info about them, rent, quality, etc... thanks guys. I would like to have an apartment within walking distance to the school, any recommendations?

Group Theory...thanks for the info...and the heads up on my out-of-date profile. I have decided to go to PCOM instead of DMU. So was cranial that entire term? I have heard that it is heavily tested on COMLEX...is that true?

Hey what's up everyone? I finally made my decision and I will be at PCOM in August. Anyway, just wanted to join the board. See ya all soon.

LHUEMT911,

You might find this link helpful
http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Housing/aptlist.htm

To NewYorkCougar,

Welcome to PCOM :). Since I haven't taken the COMLEX yet, I can't say with first hand experience whether the cranial education is enough. However, judging by the Savarese's "OMT Review 3rd ed" book and DiGiovanna's "Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment", the school seems to have covered all the major concepts of cranial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to see if everyone got the invitation in the mail for the admitted students brunch on April 10. hope to see everyone there. The food at the interview was good so looking forward to that!

Congratulations to everybody that made it into PCOM's Class of 2009. I look forward to meeting all of you shortly. Right now I'm more concerned with where I'm going to live next year than anything else. I'm thinking about going to Phili in a week or two so if anybody wants to recommend some "good" apartments to live in I would appreciate it alot

Good apts =

fairmount terrace
lincoln green
beekman place
duffield house
greenbriar apts
River Park House (pricey)

if you got any questions please feel free to contact me

hey everyone...i just got my acceptance for PCOM, i was pretty happy since i just interviewed less than a week ago. like a lot of you have already said, i fell in love with the atmosphere at PCOM when i visited and can't wait to get to know all of you!

surrender903 said:
Good apts =

fairmount terrace
lincoln green
beekman place
duffield house
greenbriar apts
River Park House (pricey)

if you got any questions please feel free to contact me

I agree. I have lived in Duffield House for almost 2 years now. However, all the apts surrender903 listed are within walking distance of the school. If you have a day, you can come to Philly and see them all in one day. I personally love Duffield House and will probably be staying here for the next 4 years. I would say the most positive thing is that the rent includes all your utilities. So I don't receive separate bills each month, I have unlimited utility use, and the rent is still so cheap. Most studios around PCOM are about $650+utilities (at least in the buildings listed above) or more. Duffield is $670 with all utilities included. Hope that helps a little. Also, I will be at the April 10th welcome brunch. So hopefully I will see many of you there!

Hey everyone,
I got admitted to the class of 2009 about a month or so ago. I have lived in philly for a whille (old city) and if anyone wants some help getting around or for some housing advice while you are apt shopping, you can always pm me.
To students already at pcom... I really want to stay in my apt. Do you think it is a major hastle living in the city and going getting to class? I have a car so i'm guessing no.

Rbt118 said:
Do you think it is a major hastle living in the city and going getting to class? I have a car so i'm guessing no.
I live in Northern Liberties, and it took me less than 15 minutes to get to PCOM from where I live, and this was during the morning rush hour when we'd be driving there.

I also work out near PCOM, and I've found it's fastest to take the Vine St. Expressway to the Parkway Exit, then go around the Art Museum circle and take West River Drive straight to PCOM. It took me 13 minutes, but I drive fast.

I really prefer living in the city as opposed to out there near PCOM, and I advise anyone with a car to do the same. City Ave is OK. (It's nice to be across the street from Saks.) But I like it more in the city, and I'm sure it'll be nice to feel some distance from school.

I'm already looking forward to meeting everyone this August!

How do grades work at PCOM? Are they letter grades, pass/fail, what?

Hi everybody,

I just found out that I got accepted today, and I will be joining you all in August. It feels really great, and I no longer have to run home to check the mail everyday. I am a masters student here at PCOM and live really close by if anyone needs any info on the area. As far as grading goes, I believe it is A,B,C with +/-'s. At least thats how it is in my program. As for living in the city, it can be done, but it can also be a real pain if you need to go back and forth a couple times in a day. Anyways, I look forward to meeting everyone soon.

NeuroDO said:
I live in Northern Liberties, and it took me less than 15 minutes to get to PCOM from where I live, and this was during the morning rush hour when we'd be driving there.

I also work out near PCOM, and I've found it's fastest to take the Vine St. Expressway to the Parkway Exit, then go around the Art Museum circle and take West River Drive straight to PCOM. It took me 13 minutes, but I drive fast.

I really prefer living in the city as opposed to out there near PCOM, and I advise anyone with a car to do the same. City Ave is OK. (It's nice to be across the street from Saks.) But I like it more in the city, and I'm sure it'll be nice to feel some distance from school.

I'm already looking forward to meeting everyone this August!

hey buddy you live in northern liberties? so do I! next to standard tap. PM me and we'll hang out

Hey guys,
I know this is jumping the gun, but can someone who has already or is completing their first year reply with a list of some of the books needed for OMSI at pcom. I know what classes we will be taking, but i'm unaware of the book authors/versions. Thanks for your time.

Hello all. First let me congratulate you on getting into a great school. The reason I am writing is because I am trying to gain some insight into the schools I am very interested in. So I figured what better source than future students who already made the decision I soon will make. What drew you to PCOM? Were there any aspects of the school or curriculum that really were fascinating or cool? When do you start patient interaction? Where are the rotations? I figure with so many top hospitals in the Philly area you will have a great selection. And with the history of the school, there must be a lot of great connections. So any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and congrats again.

Hey guys-
I got my letter last week and It is such a reflief to know I am going there in August!! I am getting married in may and I leave for my bachelor party in vegas on thursday! I can go have a great time and not even think about medical school until I get back. I was wondering if anyone knows a student that commutes to PCOM. I live in newark DE- about 50 min by car and less by train- I checked today and its 163$/month for a train pass. We are still undecided if I will live close to school or just commute. I do plan on attending the brunch on april 10, and look forward to meeting some of you.

Hey guys, I am looking to get a studio, so far I have looked at Beekman Place, and will look at Duffield House and Fairmont Terrace on the 10th before the welcome student brunch. I'd appreciate it if anyone who currently resides at any of these apartments could PM me and give me their take on it. Thanks, can't wait to meet everyone on the 10th!!!

Im looking into getting a studio at Greenbriar. One of my buddies just got a place there and its pretty nice with a decent patio area for barbeque. I think hes paying 695 with utilities included. Im looking into getting a place either there or Duffield. But I havnt looked at Duffield yet.

Can anyone post the details of the lunch on the 10th, I havnt recieved anything about it yet?

Some thoughts on PCOM housing:

After checking out many apartments this past weekend, talking to several current PCOM students and alumni, and checking various websites, ( ie www.apartmentratings.com ) I agree with the above listing of good/close apartments. I personally chose Beekman Place and would highly reccommend it. I felt it was imaculately maintained, had a great location and had every amenity/ utility that I would ever want 100% included. Greenbriar was a close second.

If anyone wants to go a little further from the school, as in 4-5 miles, Ridge Carlton, Woodmere and Henry on the Park were all great looking and highly reccommended places. Much more of a suburban/residential area then around the school.

From what I've heard/seen/read, places to stay away from are any of the Woodward Property Apartments ( Bala, Bryn Mawr Suites, Parkside Village and a few more). The only other place near the school that I have heard consistant negatives about is the Presidential City. I could be wrong, but I have yet to hear any postives that come close to outweighing the negatives about these places. All of them continually seem to have big problems with management and maintainence. They are very reasonably priced overall, but I have to side with the old saying of "you get what pay for" at these places.

Hope that helps a few people....

I am looking for a place in Manayunk. The only places I could find online were Manayunk Gardens, Canal House, and Nob Hill Apartments. I was wondering what everyone's heard about these places, or if you have any other recommendations. Thanks

hed164 said:
I am looking for a place in Manayunk. The only places I could find online were Manayunk Gardens, Canal House, and Nob Hill Apartments. I was wondering what everyone's heard about these places, or if you have any other recommendations. Thanks
You can try doing a google search for apartments within manayunks zip code (not sure what it is off the top of my head). Thats how I originally started compiling a list of apts. near PCOM.

Manyunk is a part of philly, You may want to consider a place that is not located in Philadelphia because even on the border you will save money on car insurance and such.

Hello everyone. I'm excited to say that it looks like I'll be joining PCOM's class of '09. Just as a heads up, I see nobody has mentioned the Andorra section of Philly for housing. It's just outside of Manayunk, safe, plenty of shopping, 11 miles to center city, and six miles to PCOM. It's on the outskirts of the city so rent is cheaper and there are plenty of Apt. Complexes out here. Not many studios, though, so you'll likely need a roommate to make them work out price wise. Good luck and I hope to see everyone this fall.

hey guys!

I'm moving to a 1 br apartment in manayunk june 1st, i just signed my lease yesterday. if you are looking for apartments in the area, i think www.craigslist.org is a usefull site. that's how i found my place! good luck finding housing everybody!

i also have to add that i CAN'T WAIT to start school. i'm currently trying to save money by living with my parents, but needless to say they are driving me crazy!

hopefully i'll see you guys in a few weeks at the brunch.

<3 shannon <3

Hello, I'm late posting to this, but just wanted to 'introduce' myself to everyone. I'll also be joining the PCOM class of 2009 and I'm really excited to be going there. I also had a few other acceptances, but decided that PCOM was definitely the right choice for me.

Look forward to getting to know everyone,
Claudia :)

How long does it usually take for PCOM to respond after an interview?

Juniperbee said:
How long does it usually take for PCOM to respond after an interview?

I interviewed on March 30 and they told me I'd know in 2 and a half weeks. I'm assuming their committee meets sometime next week.

Sorry to infiltrate this thread!

Hoping to join your ranks soon...

Karine04 said:
I interviewed on March 30 and they told me I'd know in 2 and a half weeks. I'm assuming their committee meets sometime next week.

Sorry to infiltrate this thread!

Hoping to join your ranks soon...
Their adcom meetings are usually around the 15th of each month. I got lucky and interviewed the day before the meeting last month, so it only took 2 days for me to find out. So two and a half weeks seems about right for you. Good luck.

Who here is going to the brunch this Sunday? Also, does anyone know the attire ( ie. should I wear a tie)?

Taus said:
Who here is going to the brunch this Sunday? Also, does anyone know the attire ( ie. should I wear a tie)?

I think I'll be going, I was wondering about the attire as well.

I am going on sunday. I am going to call the office tomorrow and find out about what the attire is. I'll post it on here when I find out.

I will be there too, can someone please post the specifics on what time and where we meet?

I know the brunch is at 11am. And I will be attending so I'm excited to see a lot of you there. I am a female but I do not think I will be wearing a skirt (I don't enjoy them at all! Wore a pants suit for interview...etc haha). But I am planning on wearing nice dress pants and a button down shirt. Of course I don't think this post helps for guys at all about wearing a tie. However, if anyone does talk to someone and finds out the "proper" attire for men and women please post!

I just got off the phone with the admissions office and they said that the dress is "business casual" meaning khakis and a button-down shirt, a tie being optional. She said there would probably be a mix of some people in ties and some not. See y'all there!

Just a heads up to anyone in our class who is going to be in philly sat night, one of our anatomy profs punk rock band is opening up for The Psychedelic Furs at the trocadero.
I might go out there with a couple of co 2008ers to check it out.

so, to tie or not to tie, is the question? I'll go with the tie- it will hide the stain on my shirt lol. see you all on sunday

Can't make the brunch unfortunately:( As being in Pittsburgh means it's a 10 hour round trip. However, I hope to meet all of you soon.