>>>Official PCOM Class of 2009>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a search and could not find a PCOM Class of 2009 thread so I am officially starting one. I hope we can all get to know each other a little better before me make the big transition into med school. Can't wait to meet everyone...

Members don't see this ad.

Good idea starting this thread. Anyway, I have decided to attend PCOM as well. Similarly, I was accepted to both DMU & KCUMB but decided that PCOM is the best school for me.

Hopefully, we can get this thread going for us PCOM rookies and establish a small network (army) to facilitate our transition to medical school.

PCOM 2009

Congratulations to both of you.

I look forward to meeting you in OMM labs.

Dont be afraid to ask questions if you have them (prefer email).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that some med schools always have a set day for exams, such as once a month on mondays...does anyone know if PCOM has exams structured in such a fashion?

LHUEMT911 said:
I have heard that some med schools always have a set day for exams, such as once a month on mondays...does anyone know if PCOM has exams structured in such a fashion?

No. You will get a schedule for each repective course that details the lecture dates, topics, and exam dates. You could have several exams a month/week; OMM (written or practical), Cardio, Standardized Patient. You just have to wait until your schedule i ready.

Congrats and good luck. PCOM Rocks!

Are there plenty of areas for quiet studying at PCOM? During my interview, I noticed that the library seemed a bit crowded and most students studied in the lectures halls after class.

PCOM 2009

docbrown76 said:
Are there plenty of areas for quiet studying at PCOM? During my interview, I noticed that the library seemed a bit crowded and most students studied in the lectures halls after class.

PCOM 2009

I usually can find a spot in the library to study whenever I want. Around exam times is gets kinda crowded but if you look hard enough you can usually find somewhere to study if not in the lib then in other classrooms. I used to study in the auditorium but it wasnt because there wasn't room elsewhere. I did it because I felt most comfortable being in there. I'm sure other kids do the same thing for the same reason.

been lazy about replying to this thread. I choose PCOM over CCOM and erie mainly because in my interview at PCOM the dean of admissions said: "You have an acceptance to CCOM, they are the school i feel is the most similiar to ours, that is going to be a tough choice for you".

Anyways, how long is winter break at PCOM?

Is it a bad sign that I am already asking for a break.

JonnyG said:
been lazy about replying to this thread. I choose PCOM over CCOM and erie mainly because in my interview at PCOM the dean of admissions said: "You have an acceptance to CCOM, they are the school i feel is the most similiar to ours, that is going to be a tough choice for you".

Anyways, how long is winter break at PCOM?

Is it a bad sign that I am already asking for a break.

It's a good thing that you're bringing up the break idea. Try to start your break now and enjoy as much of it as possible until orientation! You won't see another real break until Thankgiving break, which was 5 days long. Winter break was 16 days long.

Do you think it is a better idea to live within walking distance of PCOM so it is close and you don't waste money on gas, or live 10-20 minutes away and maybe save money on rent?!?

As long as you are conftorable you are fine. Even if you are in walking distance the weather sometimes blows and you will want to drive. Sounds like you are faily close as is.

Just wanted to say hello- I am in the biomed program at PCOM and am applying for the class of '09. We biomeds probably won't know our status until the last minute...if you guys have any questions about PCOM's campus etc. I may be able to help.

As Pitt Panther stated, no

3 Written Exams for SPOM (gross anatomy and Microanatomy)
3 Practicals for Gross
2 Practicals and 2 Quizzes (sp) for Histology
5 Exams for Cell and Tissue
OMM Exam every trimester
OMM Practicals 2X a trimester

Of course this is how it has gone for my class, yours will probably be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys!
just wanted to say see you next (skewl) year! it was a tough choice, but i'm turning down spots at UMDNJ-SOM and DMU to enter the class of '09 at PCOM. i am super psyched about my decision and i can't wait to start!
peas,
s*

Yeah shan-bot, I haven't heard a thing yet, I sent them an email to confirm they had everything, which, they did. They also stated in the reply that financial aid, housing, and registrar should shortly be sending out information, but admissions didn't know exact dates. I guess we will just have to hang in, as hard as that may be with all the excitement :D

oh gary... scaring them already???!?!?

lol

let them enjoy their "in med school but not really IN med school" status for a little while longer.

anyone that has questions freel free to shoot them over to me, ill be happy to answer and look forward to meeting the new class :)

I'm so excited to be in PCOM's class of 2009! I found out I was accepted in early December! I am so happy to join this post. I was wondering if someone could tell me when freshman orientation is likely to be. I get married on July 23rd, and then I'll be on my honeymoon through the beginning of August. I just hope this doesn't conflict with orientation. Also, I'd like to know which areas around PCOM are safe to live. Where do all the PCOM students prefer to live? I've been looking for housing, and I am just not familiar with the surrounding neighborhoods. Any good information out there?

CONGRATS and WELCOME to the class of 2009. I don't know of any housing info, there is a link on the website that opens a pdf filing detailing apartments in the area, maybe that can help you. I was curious if we need a graphing calculator for any classes? I lost mine and don't want to buy a new one if I can get by with a regular scientific calculator, thanks guys.

i don't even own a scientific calculator .. the one of my cel phone is just fine.

Thus far not calculator needed. I doubt that you would even be allowed to bring one that graphs to any tests if a calculator was needed, tho whole recorable thing.

NGANTT said:
I'm so excited to be in PCOM's class of 2009! I found out I was accepted in early December! I am so happy to join this post. I was wondering if someone could tell me when freshman orientation is likely to be. I get married on July 23rd, and then I'll be on my honeymoon through the beginning of August. I just hope this doesn't conflict with orientation. Also, I'd like to know which areas around PCOM are safe to live. Where do all the PCOM students prefer to live? I've been looking for housing, and I am just not familiar with the surrounding neighborhoods. Any good information out there?

i'm looking for a place in Manayunk. it's about a 10 minute drive from PCOM and seems really safe and cool. hope this helps! see you next year.

manayunk is alright... if you are into the bar scene, which some of us are and some of us arent.

calculators are not needed, your preparation to lose some of your sanity is. feel free to come visit us anytime :)

surrender903 said:
manayunk is alright... if you are into the bar scene, which some of us are and some of us arent.

I don't think most students live in Manayunk for the bar scene, they live there because you can get rent for around 400 bucks a month. Personally, I don't like the scene there either, which is why I live in the city (Northern Liberties) and will continue to live there if I end up going to PCOM. If anyone has any questions about Philly I've lived there my whole life... hope to see you guys next Fall!

Does anyone have any idea when freshman orientation is?

orientation is usually the week before classes start

our classes started on monday the 16h of august, our orientation was the week before , with i believe thursday off, and events every night. there was a bar crawl on friday night... HAHAHAAHH the memories of that

if you do a search on pcom's website you can see the 05-06 calendar

SO excited for august so i can meet you all!! What great news! I fell in love with the atmosphere at PCOM during my interview, got my letter two weeks ago...speaking of the letter - when do they cash your deposit check? I had a nightmare last night that they didn't get my "yes, i'm coming" stuff and i've been unsettled all day. should i call the admissions office to confirm that they received everything, or just take a deep breath and not be mental?

p.s - anyone doing anything fun and exciting this summer now that they know they're "in"?? :luck:

moiramr5 said:
SO excited for august so i can meet you all!! What great news! I fell in love with the atmosphere at PCOM during my interview, got my letter two weeks ago...speaking of the letter - when do they cash your deposit check? I had a nightmare last night that they didn't get my "yes, i'm coming" stuff and i've been unsettled all day. should i call the admissions office to confirm that they received everything, or just take a deep breath and not be mental?

p.s - anyone doing anything fun and exciting this summer now that they know they're "in"?? :luck:

Congratulations on your acceptance!! It took PCOM about a month to cash my deposit. You can call admissions to verify that your seat is confirmed for August. Hope to see you during orientation. :thumbup:

PCOM 2009

PCOM has updated thier web page for new students. There are now options for you if you want to ask questions or get into contact with current students. Congratulations and I look forward to meeting you in the Fall. Bert

Hello everyone! My name is Katie and I have also been accepted into PCOM Class of '09. I am so excited as PCOM was my top choice for medical school since the beginning of the application process. I went to undergrad in Philly and live a block from PCOM right now. So anyone that has questions about the city or living situtations I can probably help. Otherwise, I am so excited to meet everyone!! :)

NGANTT said:
Does anyone have any idea when freshman orientation is?

Congrats to 2009 and Welcome to PCOM

There are plenty of things that you guys can do to prepare for August.

1. Apartment search
There are plenty of search sites for apt in the philly area. The complexes close to the school are pricey but they come with cool benes like utilities paid, w/d, security, fitness center, etc (Greenbriar, Iriquios, Beekman Place, Presidental, Lincoln Green, Duffield House, Fairmount Terrace). Roxborough and Manayunk are cool places to live, but when it snows - you may need x-ctry skis, snow shoes and a sled to get to school. East Falls is also cool there are some homes that are reasonable that you can rent with a roommate. And if you just prefer the suburban life there are always Bala Cynwyd, Wynnewood, Bryn Mawr, and Narbreth.

2. Rest, Rest, and More Rest!
Once your search for housing is done. Relax and enjoy your summer. For most of you this should be the most stress free summer of your life so enjoy. {NGANTT, you are the exception. I was married on June 19, 2004 and immediately after my wedding I left for a medical mission tour for 5 weeks. (I did not get to enjoy a real honeymoon :( ) But your wedding will be bliss, enjoy! I believe your orientation is 8/9 - 8/12. Just don't let the last minute stuff stress you out.} Travel, spend time with family, enjoy the sun, beach, and your friends. This is not to say that you will not to have fun during first year, but you will need the time to adjust to the schedule and the work load. This is the lesson of BALANCE. But you will achieve that zen mode and be able to resume some normalcy in your life.

3. Money, Money, Money!
After traveling the world this summer, remember to stash away some extra loot for the little things - equipment purchases, club dues, PCOM gear, books, etc. - that you will need to begin the school year off right. During orientation week all the clubs will be clamoring for your attention (for you are the new superstars of PCOM :D ). The average 4-yr membership is in the range of $40-$70/club. Textbooks are textbooks and we know that horror of purchasing expensive books from our undergrad experiences. Once you get the book list - price shop. There are plenty of sites out there that have books for cheap and some offer NEXT - DAY shipping @ NO CHARGE (B&N!!!!!). Finally, EQUIPMENT! You can't be a good doc without the necessary tools. Yes, you will get your complementary stethoscope and white coat, but the rest is on you to purchase. During orientation, you will receive an order form from Welch and Allyn for the purchase of your BP cuff, otoscope, and ophthalmoscope that will be due with the money by the following Monday when Anatomy begins. The average cost for this package is around $400-$600 depending on how high tech you are (there is this awesome spy gear type scope you can buy - but most likely if you are not a military scholarship person, you will be envying them).

So, I hope that this information was useful and not overwhelming. I just thought that it was my civic duty as a fellow PCOMer to help prepare you for the road ahead. You are now apart of a noble profession that is committed to life long learning and the pursuit of serving others. I look forward to meeting you soon.

If you need any info, feel free to email any time. [email protected]

God Bless.

PCOM Class of 2008 :clap:

After getting accepted to PCOM and paying my deposit, I never heard from them again...until today! :) I finally got a welcome packet with my official PCOM email address! I am emailing everyone I know and telling them to email me at PCOM now! See you all in the fall!

newyorkcougar said:
After getting accepted to PCOM and paying my deposit, I never heard from them again...until today! :) I finally got a welcome packet with my official PCOM email address! I am emailing everyone I know and telling them to email me at PCOM now! See you all in the fall!

OH MAN! I have been waiting for my welcome packet for months!!! I'm glad to hear that someone finally got something...perhaps that means that mine is on the way as well. Im gonna go check the mailbox!

It was nice getting access to the emaila nd such, but i think I have one of the worst email addresses possible. They used my complete formal name (which I don't even use) and with the number of characters it gets cut at a wierd place. I'm thinking about asking if they can redo it. Oh well, It is nice htough to have a medical school email address now.

Yeah it was a nice valentine's day gift to hear from them. Plus, it says we will be getting email from them next week about more info, finally!

Anyone else alittle annoyed by the second 2000 dollar deposit that was never mentioned (due may 15th). I just got the mail today. I know its applied to tuition, but its out of my pocket and not covered by loans. They should have at least been up front with this one. broker than ever.

JonnyG said:
Anyone else alittle annoyed by the second 2000 dollar deposit that was never mentioned (due may 15th). I just got the mail today. I know its applied to tuition, but its out of my pocket and not covered by loans. They should have at least been up front with this one. broker than ever.

Was this included in your welcome packet? Or did you receive a separate mailing? I have not heard about this additional deposit of $2000.00!!

docbrown76 said:
Was this included in your welcome packet? Or did you receive a separate mailing? I have not heard about this additional deposit of $2000.00!!

It was a separate mailing that I recieved yesterday. I noticed that I seem to be complaining alot the last few days on these boards, but I really don't complain that often. I'm just broke. :D

Hey guys, I just found out that I got accepted!! I'm so excited :)
Now if I get in anywhere else I have to decide whether or not I want to stay in Philly. If only the Eagles would have won I could have left a winner. Now I may be forced to stay cause I have to see them win it all!

I just got the mailing about the $2,000.00. It is interesting that this was never mentioned before. The only thing I heard about before was the $250.00 which, honestly, did seem kinda low for a medical school deposit but I wasn't going to complain. They must know that we are paying for everything on loans, so how do they expect us to keep comming up with this money before we get our Staffords in? Are there any other suprise bills ahead?

Hey everyone,
Just found out i got in on 2/16 and i'm pretty excited. Regarding living situation(s), I have lived in old city which is 2-5 walnut-arch, for about 6 months now and it is only 7 miles away from pcom. If you have a car and don't mind a 10 minute drive to school, it is a fun and young place to live. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Rbt118 said:
Hey everyone,
Just found out i got in on 2/16 and i'm pretty excited. Regarding living situation(s), I have lived in old city which is 2-5 walnut-arch, for about 6 months now and it is only 7 miles away from pcom. If you have a car and don't mind a 10 minute drive to school, it is a fun and young place to live. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Congrats Rbt!! I didn't know you lived in Philly now. I'm in Northern Liberties, the neighborhood north of Old City and it's almost as fun, but definitely much less expensive! Commuting from Center City to PCOM is very doable, you can take W. River Dr straight to City Ave instead of having to go 676 to 76 which is hit or miss sometimes with traffic.

mastershake,
i live in between 2 and 3rd, and market and chestnut. It is pretty much above blue martini (Strawberry Street). I am getting beligerently drunk this weekend because i'm now done this horrible med school process. I'm sure you are doing the same since you just found out. So... if you want to meet up in old city, give a holla over this thread.

Hi Philly people! I love old city so much (and the blue martini!). Although I have lived out in Bala Cynwood now for 2 years, I still head in to old city on the weekends. Glad to see there will be lots of Philadelphians in our class so we will know our way around to all the good stuff! :)

Old city is definitely the place to go in philly. Plough and the Stars is my fav. The crowd is usually young professionals so its a good scene. I will be in bala cynwood (on rock hill) for the four years. I have a place, but have to add a roomate.

Hi Guys,

I found out I was accepted on 2/16! Hi everyone... :)

alright class of 2009, if you get the chance to take the bio chem course over the summer i would highly recommend it, i loved it, met great people and was totally comfortable at orientation meeting both new and old faces. It costs 650 ( i got in for free) but its great. Just take the material they give and look it over, its a great way to get to know your classmates the school and the material youw ill see 2nd trimester.

DocGina said:
Hi Guys,

I found out I was accepted on 2/16! Hi everyone... :)
Congrats gina and thanks for reactivating this thread. rbt118, went to AC last weekend but came back last minute and partied at Drinkers. How was your celebratory weekend?

surrender903 said:
alright class of 2009, if you get the chance to take the bio chem course over the summer i would highly recommend it, i loved it, met great people and was totally comfortable at orientation meeting both new and old faces. It costs 650 ( i got in for free) but its great. Just take the material they give and look it over, its a great way to get to know your classmates the school and the material youw ill see 2nd trimester.

I agree with Surrender. In fact, I was just about to post this same info but he beat me to it.
Just to add a little bit to this, there are two courses offered in the summer. In 2004, the SummerStart program was offered to select applicants who were out of school for a while and it was free. These people then got to take the 2-week summer biochem class for free too. I paid and took the biochem class just as a warm up and it was verrrry helpful because almost all of the info showed up again.

P.S. if you take the biochem class, be sure to make your metabolism charts. You will use them again :)

Shake,
I drank at buffalo billiards with a few of my friends from home on friday. Saturday though I went to the Tropicana in AC, and I guess that is where my "i got into med school" luck ran out.
For those who took these summer courses... Did you initially get information about the classes along with the orientation/welcome packet that I assume pcom sends after they recieve the 250 dollar deposit?