****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everybody,

I'm feeling a little better today, though still weak and not sure what's for breakfast. thanks for the get well wishes, bp.

I'm not sure what the "Estimated medical student loan" would be...I guess that's a good question for Fin Aid.

I did call the computer support network at MSU about getting our email activated. They said our PIN (PAD or whatever its called) should be mailed to us soon and if its not, call the Registrar.

later, raDiOnut

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone going to the open house today? I can't make it, but I was just wondering how many were planning on attending. If anyone goes, let us know how it was.

Did everyone receive Dr. Fall's email: MSU COM Class of 2009 Orientation?

So as I understand the email, we will not be registered for Summer 05; but a lengthened Fall/Spring 05? I ask, because I am wondering how this 'extra' month of course work will affect us re: the 9 month federal maximum for Stafford loans; i.e., 38.5k.

Anyway, White Coat Ceremony on 8/26; I can't wait...Woohoo!

btw...
ypo, thanks for the clarification; that was my assumption.

All the best,
-ky

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a PID number on the top of the award letter, but I don't have the PIN/PAn number they want to sign up for stuff. Did I miss that somewhere? Let me know if anyone figures this out, I am anxious to verify my award and accept it before it is lost forever and I can't attend and have to cut firewood for a living forever and ever!

I am getting excited about all this. I can't wait to start!

It sounds like some letters are in the mail to us also by what Kathie was saying. I'd like to sign up for the parking before they are filled too.

Oh no, kids are fighting, gotta go!

-Dan in Marquette

PS-snow accumulated on all the trees today is pretty.

dancote said:
There is a PID number on the top of the award letter, but I don't have the PIN/PAn number they want to sign up for stuff. Did I miss that somewhere? Let me know if anyone figures this out, I am anxious to verify my award and accept it before it is lost forever and I can't attend and have to cut firewood for a living forever and ever!

I am getting excited about all this. I can't wait to start!

It sounds like some letters are in the mail to us also by what Kathie was saying. I'd like to sign up for the parking before they are filled too.

Oh no, kids are fighting, gotta go!

-Dan in Marquette

Hahah, I doubt they'll take away your finaid so soon, relax!
I called the Office of the Registrar and got my PAN, they didn't send it out yet, although it might be in the enrollment packet. With the PID at the top of your award letter and your PAN, you set up your NetID account (email) and then you can access all the information you need. (just follow the instructions on the back of your award letter)
Let me know when you find out about the parking stuff, I want a parking place too! :D

dancote said:

I admire your ability to see the positive in any situation. ;) Me, I'm shivering and cursing the treachery of Michigan weather. Here in Lansing, the snow isn't sticking to the trees, its just melting off, so we miss even the aesthetics... +pity+

yposhelley said:
I admire your ability to see the positive in any situation. ;) Me, I'm shivering and cursing the treachery of Michigan weather. Here in Lansing, the snow isn't sticking to the trees, its just melting off, so we miss even the aesthetics... +pity+
It was sunny and 70º outside 3 days ago :(

Did you guys get the email about the anatomy schedule. It's way better than I was expecting. I'm actually starting to get a little excited.

What is the general schedule sterlinggirl???

We have lecture M-F 8-10AM; we also have 2hrs of lab each day (we'll be placed in one of three lab sessions)

thesterlinggirl said:
Did you guys get the email about the anatomy schedule. It's way better than I was expecting. I'm actually starting to get a little excited.

Yes! That is much better than I was expecting. I hope that I get into a lab right after lecture. I'd rather not have a big break between the two. I'm totally excited now because I'm feeling like I may still get outside over the summer!

marie337 said:
Yes! That is much better than I was expecting. I hope that I get into a lab right after lecture. I'd rather not have a big break between the two. I'm totally excited now because I'm feeling like I may still get outside over the summer!

I'm hoping for an early lab too -- It would be awesome to have late afternoons/evenings off.

I've been debating attempting to work a few hrs per week over the summer, but not sure if it'd be a good idea. I guess I'll have to wait until I see what our actual workload is like w/ anatomy. I'm definitely not going to work if it'd affect my grades.

raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
I'm hoping for an early lab too -- It would be awesome to have late afternoons/evenings off.

I've been debating attempting to work a few hrs per week over the summer, but not sure if it'd be a good idea. I guess I'll have to wait until I see what our actual workload is like w/ anatomy. I'm definitely not going to work if it'd affect my grades.

raDiOnut

It sounds like it may be possible to work a little bit. I plan on about 3 or 4 hours a day of studying at the most. I tend to study less than I intend to though! We're starting an addition tomorrow on our house which is probably going to take around 3 months. It's going to be pretty noisy around here in July. I may be living at Beaner's over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, TWO YEARS, OVER 2 GRAND SPENT ON APPS, 27 EMPTY BOTTLES VODKA, PISSED OFF GIRLFRIEND, 3 MCATS, AND 500 HOURS OF THINKING "I'M GOING TO TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL" later... I'm in!! Pretty late in the process but happy nonetheless. Hope to see everyone in the fall...

--One very happy and tired pre-med :D

raDiOnut said:
We have lecture M-F 8-10AM; we also have 2hrs of lab each day (we'll be placed in one of three lab sessions)
Dosen't sound so bad on paper... ;)
Any idea who's teaching this time around?

dknc75 said:
...500 HOURS OF THINKING "I'M GOING TO TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL"...
LMAO.

dknc75,
Congratulations on your acceptance!

All the best,
-ky

dknc75 said:
Ok, TWO YEARS, OVER 2 GRAND SPENT ON APPS, 27 EMPTY BOTTLES VODKA, PISSED OFF GIRLFRIEND, 3 MCATS, AND 500 HOURS OF THINKING "I'M GOING TO TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL" later... I'm in!! Pretty late in the process but happy nonetheless. Hope to see everyone in the fall...

--One very happy and tired pre-med :D

lol, Congrats on your acceptance! Welcome to the club :)

on another note, I'm DONE with undergrad finally!!!!! woo-hoo!!!! No more racism, drama and ecology classes......

lata, raDiOnut

Just wanted to make sure everyone got their biosketch in. I think they are due tomorrow.

thesterlinggirl said:
Just wanted to make sure everyone got their biosketch in. I think they are due tomorrow.

sterlinggirl,

I think I missed something, what is the biosketch?

thesterlinggirl said:
I decided not to participate. Bp, here is the email information...

Welcome to MSUCOM!

Please go to EDIT:[hyperlink] and complete the information so that a news release about your matriculation into MSUCOM can be sent to your hometown newspaper. We will also be using this information to create the Class of 2009 biosketches booklet that will be distributed to your classmates, faculty and staff. Please complete the form by April 29.

If you have any problems or questions, please contact us at (517) 353-0616 or reply to this email. Thank you!
--Pat Grauer, Director of Public Relations, and Stacey Buffa, PR assistant

All the best,

-ky

kyriacos01 said:
I decided not to participate. Bp, here is the email information...

Welcome to MSUCOM!

Please go to EDIT:[hyperlink] and complete the information so that a news release about your matriculation into MSUCOM can be sent to your hometown newspaper. We will also be using this information to create the Class of 2009 biosketches booklet that will be distributed to your classmates, faculty and staff. Please complete the form by April 29.

If you have any problems or questions, please contact us at (517) 353-0616 or reply to this email. Thank you!
--Pat Grauer, Director of Public Relations, and Stacey Buffa, PR assistant

All the best,

-ky

Why did you decide not to participate?

villileblanc said:
Why did you decide not to participate?
I don’t believe that there was an Orwellian agenda behind the biosketch booklet, nor am I of the opinion that this register could/would be used in a malicious or punitive manner. Simply stated, my choice was based upon a preference to maintain personal privacy; ergo, I chose to abstain.

All the best,
-ky

I'm an undergrad at MSU now, graduating in about a week, and heading off to WSU in Detroit (MD), but I thought I would share a little piece of MSU with all of you. (BTW, buy student football tickets....if you don't go to the games you can always sell them for much more than you paid for them)

thumb.jpg

beal.jpg

PRINT-6-2.jpg

campus.jpg

image_tree_in_feld.jpg

bp1043 said:
Thanks Ky I remember now! See you soon. :)
BP,
You are quite welcome.
73 days until anatomy begins; where is the time going?

All the best,
-ky

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to enroll in classes yet? I registered for Fall 05, but the system wouldn't let me add OST 505, OST 531 or OMM 501. Also, according to my online schedule, Medical Biochem and Genetics are at the same time, 10-10:50AM M-Thur. Has anyone had similar problems???

I finally got my PID/PAN so I have my MSU email...woo-hoo!!

raDiOnut

raDiOnut,

I tried to register and experienced the same problems. Let me know if you hear anything.

bp1043

How did you go about registering? I haven't received any information on it yet, and I'm still waiting on my PIN.

thesterlinggirl said:
How did you go about registering? I haven't received any information on it yet, and I'm still waiting on my PIN.

My PID/PAN came in via snail mail on Saturday. I also got a manila envelope w/ info from Dr. Falls. I'm assuming yours should be on its way if I got mine.

I'll call the registrar tomorrow and see if I can find out what's up with enrollment.

later, raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
...Has anyone attempted to enroll in classes yet? I registered for Fall 05, but the system wouldn't let me add OST 505, OST 531 or OMM 501. Also, according to my online schedule, Medical Biochem and Genetics are at the same time, 10-10:50AM M-Thur. Has anyone had similar problems???
I too had the BMB 514 & 526 time conflict; and was not allowed to register for OST 531 Epidemiology. I spoke with Cathey Pepper who told me that she was in the process of updating the registration program. Apparently, by day's end, we should be able to access/add each of the courses assigned for both the fall and spring semesters.

Hope this helps,
-ky

tastytreat said:
Dosen't sound so bad on paper... ;)
Any idea who's teaching this time around?
TT,
Appears to be Dr. Fitzsimmons; any +/- or suggestions?

Thanks,
-ky

I was able to register everything today. But, there is still the time conflicts in both semesters. Hopefully we don't have to be in two places at once! I'm getting so excited :D :D :D ! It feels like we're getting close. Is anybody doing the Big Sib/Little Sib program? I think I might hook up with a fellow married student because I think that might be helpful.

I finally received a packet today, but it didn't contain information on registration only stuff on parking, Big Sibs, etc. Did the registration and PIN info come separately?

thesterlinggirl said:
I finally received a packet today, but it didn't contain information on registration only stuff on parking, Big Sibs, etc. Did the registration and PIN info come separately?
TSG,
I have yet to receive the packet you referenced, so I presume it is a separate mailing; fyi, my enrollment/registration information just arrived on 5/2.

All the best,
-ky

thesterlinggirl said:

Yep, they were mailed separately. btw, I was able to register for all of my Fall classes today -- I am still having problems with one of my Spr 06 classes

kyriacos01 said:
TT,
Appears to be Dr. Fitzsimmons; any +/- or suggestions?

Thanks,
-ky
I think he's the lab co-ordinator. He didn't actually lecture us, though he did a unit or two for the 2007 people. He's definetly an..um.. interesting man.

Dibs on POH!!! :D

Just thought I'd get to it before anyone else :smuggrin:

Seriously though, I know that Ingham is a popular site for the core rotations, since it's all nice and cozy up to MSU proper. What are some of the other sites that seem to fill up quickly? Any current students know what sites fill up fast and have lotteries often?

subtle1epiphany said:
Dibs on POH!!! :D

Just thought I'd get to it before anyone else :smuggrin:

Seriously though, I know that Ingham is a popular site for the core rotations, since it's all nice and cozy up to MSU proper. What are some of the other sites that seem to fill up quickly? Any current students know what sites fill up fast and have lotteries often?
I *think* Ingham, Sparrow and Mt. Clemens all went to lottery last time. There might be others. Usually the lottery isn't huge. Mt. Clemens went lotto with 2 extra.

tastytreat said:
I think he's the lab co-ordinator. He didn't actually lecture us, though he did a unit or two for the 2007 people. He's definetly an..um.. interesting man.
Thanks TT; lots to learn on the fly.

All the best,
-ky

marie337 said:
I was able to register everything today. But, there is still the time conflicts in both semesters. Hopefully we don't have to be in two places at once! I'm getting so excited :D :D :D ! It feels like we're getting close. Is anybody doing the Big Sib/Little Sib program? I think I might hook up with a fellow married student because I think that might be helpful.

I had the same problem, but I figured they would just fix it when the time comes. I am planning on doing the Sib program, and am excited because I feel like I will learn a lot from someone who has already been through the first year.

Hey guys, I spoke with the financial aid office earlier today and thought you'd like to know what the rep said regarding disbursement.

Evidently, there will be a single disbursement of $2800 in July for summer costs of living. To make up for it, the school will be adding an additional loan of the same amount to make up for the early payment, this loan is in the planning stages and will be announced to us when ready. It's my assumption at this time the additional money will be a private loan, so that's a consideration.
Still it's good news, we'll have the money available, and it won't reduce the amount for the fall and spring. So rejoice! :D

Hurrah! I am finially done with the undergraduate stuff!! Feels good, but of course all I can think about is medical school in two months anyway.

gonna spend the time getting ready to move and taking the kids fishing for walleye. Finding a place to live was difficult for us because we have a family of 5 and like our kids to have some room to run around. The Arbors at Georgetown seemed like the nicest apartments (they had nice and new 3 bedrooms), but we will be better off in a house.

One of our hens has been setting for a week now on a pile of eggs! I hope she hatches some of them so the kids can see it!

I am rambling, but I have to give my computer back to the university, so won't be able to contribute as easily soon.

-Dan
Marquette

dancote said:
Hurrah! I am finially done with the undergraduate stuff!! Feels good, but of course all I can think about is medical school in two months anyway.

gonna spend the time getting ready to move and taking the kids fishing for walleye. Finding a place to live was difficult for us because we have a family of 5 and like our kids to have some room to run around. The Arbors at Georgetown seemed like the nicest apartments (they had nice and new 3 bedrooms), but we will be better off in a house.

One of our hens has been setting for a week now on a pile of eggs! I hope she hatches some of them so the kids can see it!

I am rambling, but I have to give my computer back to the university, so won't be able to contribute as easily soon.

-Dan
Marquette

Hey Dan and everyone,

I am coming from CA and having a diffucult time finding a quiet apt that is also reasonably close to Fee (within 10 minutes). Anyone have any good suggestions for a very QUIET apt complex in East Lansing (most likely a 1bd.) Thanks.

persianbbq4u said:
Hey Dan and everyone,

I am coming from CA and having a diffucult time finding a quiet apt that is also reasonably close to Fee (within 10 minutes). Anyone have any good suggestions for a very QUIET apt complex in East Lansing (most likely a 1bd.) Thanks.
I'm sure medic has some really good ones, but from what I've been able to tell, the AIMCO properties are pretty decent. I'm headed to Homestead, which although I haven't visited, seems great (10-15min from Fee, I think). Give them a quick call to see if they have any open 1bdrm apartments. I'll be on the third floor, and they have some with fireplaces and free wood!!! :thumbup: :D
What can be better than cuddling up in a down comforter in front of a warm fire on a cold winter night? Nothing!...if I just had a pretty girl to share it with...

subtle1epiphany said:
I'm sure medic has some really good ones, but from what I've been able to tell, the AIMCO properties are pretty decent. I'm headed to Homestead, which although I haven't visited, seems great (10-15min from Fee, I think). Give them a quick call to see if they have any open 1bdrm apartments. I'll be on the third floor, and they have some with fireplaces and free wood!!! :thumbup: :D
What can be better than cuddling up in a down comforter in front of a warm fire on a cold winter night? Nothing!...if I just had a pretty girl to share it with...

subtle1epiphany, thanks for recommendation. I will give Homestead a call and see what they say. No worries on the fireplaces, I'll find you a lady friend to enjoy those fireplaces with... ;)

:D :D I am done with undergrad!! Seems weird, I feel like I should be happier or more sad, but I will be back in EL in two months! Anyway I am excited, but ready for a little break before the madness! ;)

I'm finally done with ugrad too -- hurray!! I'm enjoying my vacation with my first major sunburn of the summer. I spent all weekend painting a beat-up 76 Bronco for the sand dunes this summer and now have a fiery red complexion. I look bad, but the Bronco is a nice bright bright blue with very orange bumpers/rims etc.

persian, I'd recommend Briarcliffe too if you haven't checked it out. It's one of the AIMCO properties and ~10min from Fee. I'm getting a 1 bedrm apartment (790sq ft, lots of storage). ....but there aren't any fireplaces.......

raDiOnut

Hello All,

I too am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. Does anyone have any opinions about Club Meridian in Okemos? It was recommended to me by a former med student.

Thanks.

I will give Homestead a call and see what they say. No worries on the fireplaces, I'll find you a lady friend to enjoy those fireplaces with...
Yeah, definitely give them a call, they're really nice...almost too nice. I'd also give Briarcliffe a call, but they may be full, I was on the waitlist for a bit there, and that was in Feb :eek: .
The last part sounds good, seems like everyone is already married though... :(

Congrats to RaDiOnut and megynelli! :thumbup:

Ewoks said:
Hello All,

I too am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. Does anyone have any opinions about Club Meridian in Okemos? It was recommended to me by a former med student.

Thanks.

Ewoks, yeah, a OMS-II also recommended Club Meridian as a quiet place that is within 10 min. to Fee. He also mentioned Central Park and Brandywine as complexes that are pretty quiet.

Also, has anyone tryed the link that Ms. Schafer sent us regarding the apartment ratings for class of 2008? I tryed the link but it did not work. :( I will try contacting her about it...