****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
persianbbq4u said:
...does anyway know how to access the ant 551 website? I tried searching for it via angel.msu.edu but had no luck. Gracias.
Academic Program Info Page
http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/index.shtml
click on Unit I under the Preclerkship Curriculum header (left margin); this will hyperlink to the Unit I Overview Page.

Unit I Overview Page
http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/apinfo/c_gridI.shtml
click on the ANTR 551 Medical Gross Anatomy link under the Curriculum Grid header; this will hyperlink to the ANTR 551 Page.

or direct link...
ANTR 551 Page
http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/unitI/ANTR551/ant551.shtml

All the best,
-ky

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, glad to hear you're taking it easy and enjoying your last month off before starting. I just wanted to say that Nemoke Trails IS a great place to live...you'll like it there far more than you would have liked Briarcliffe.

I didn't take it but I've heard that the Biochemistry waiver exam is quite a challenge...very, very few people end up waiving (I actually only know of one who did between classes of 07' and 08'). That's not to discourage you, rather to help you keep from getting discouraged if you don't pass it. The thing is, with having anatomy in the summer and biochemistry in the fall, you will have a ton, and I do mean a ton of more time to concentrate on that class (biochem.). Not only that but even if you've had course work in it before, it's an excellent refresher and they go into topics that you probably didn't go into in alot of detail in undergrad. (metabolic/respiratory alkalosis/acidosis, for example.) If you consider yourself good with the material, then you shouldn't be spending too much time studying for the class during the semester anyway, right?

Hello friends,

Just wanted to let u know that I will be joining you for the Class of '09 :) :) :) I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers.
-Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Friends

Just wanted to let you know that I will be joining you in the class of '09 :) :)
Can't wait to meet you ;)

Cheers.
-Liz

I was just looking over the COM schedule/curriculum and was surprised to see that we only have off Aug 4 to Aug 28 for summer break. Does anyone know why we have a summer semester while other schools make it optional? It seems like this could be a disadvantage if you wanted to do research, etc.

Hi!
I cant wait to meet everyone soon as I will be attending MSUCOM class of 2009 starting anatomy in a few weeks :oops:
I am living in Club Meridian apartments. Is anyone else?

Congratulations & welcome to vegangirl & lacey14; I look forward to meeting and studying with everyone. Wow, only 26 days until Anatomy begins!

All the best,
-ky

has anyone heard anything lately about the summer "private" loan that we are supposed to get???

drchick331 said:
has anyone heard anything lately about the summer "private" loan that we are supposed to get???

Last week I was sent a revised award letter that added a $2430 Unsub loan for the fall. Nothing in the letter said that would be disbursed in the summer, but since I already have 2 other unsub loans etc for the fall, I've been assuming this is the loan for the summer.

I started moving into Nemoke Trails yesterday -- 3 flights of stairs is a LONG way to carry boxes of ugrad books!

raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
Last week I was sent a revised award letter that added a $2430 Unsub loan for the fall. Nothing in the letter said that would be disbursed in the summer, but since I already have 2 other unsub loans etc for the fall, I've been assuming this is the loan for the summer.

I started moving into Nemoke Trails yesterday -- 3 flights of stairs is a LONG way to carry boxes of ugrad books!

raDiOnut

Actually, now that I looked at my FinAid and I have the same unsub loan. Thanks for the info! :D

Does anyone know anything about the type of health care coverage we get while at MSU. I tried calling student services today and the woman who picked up the phone knew nothing about it and just took my number down.

Members don't see this ad :)
So today was my final day of work...after almost four years! I can't believe that it has been that long already. I was so sad to leave everyone :( ...

And I can't believe our anatomy class starts in about 3 weeks. Where does time go! I am looking forward to it, but at the same time, there is so much to get done. Anyway I will see everyone very soon! And if you're already getting settled in Lansing, you are awesome and very with it. I'm jealous! I better get packing here...

hey all,
Did you notice that the anatomy schedule has been posted up on the COM website. Our first exam is 7/21...Im nervous already

We'll we came down from Marquette and are staying at a house out by Williamston. This is the first time I have lived with neighbors right next door on both sides! We unloaded are chickens and I had to build them a fence (they've never been fenced before) and my three kids are trapped between the fences on both sides of us (they've never been fenced before!). Now I am getting used to driving in the city-look out! I have made it along Grand River a few times but not all the way to the school yet, I'll try that on Sunday when the traffic is light.

Folks sure are into their yards down here, every time a leaf blows down into my yard I have the neighbors watching over the fence to see if I am going to pick it up! I noticed we have some nice nettles here in the edge of the yard, the neighbor told me to kill them with Round-up, but we like to eat them in the spring! Oh well, we can adapt to the 'burbs for a couple years right!? Actually, I am very excited to start school and I think it will be fun.

Dan

-(formerly "dacote" but I got a new computer and new screen name)

PPS- congrads to you Radionut!!!!

fiddleguy said:
We'll we came down from Marquette and are staying at a house out by Williamston. This is the first time I have lived with neighbors right next door on both sides! We unloaded are chickens and I had to build them a fence (they've never been fenced before) and my three kids are trapped between the fences on both sides of us (they've never been fenced before!). Now I am getting used to driving in the city-look out! I have made it along Grand River a few times but not all the way to the school yet, I'll try that on Sunday when the traffic is light.

Folks sure are into their yards down here, every time a leaf blows down into my yard I have the neighbors watching over the fence to see if I am going to pick it up! I noticed we have some nice nettles here in the edge of the yard, the neighbor told me to kill them with Round-up, but we like to eat them in the spring! Oh well, we can adapt to the 'burbs for a couple years right!? Actually, I am very excited to start school and I think it will be fun.

Dan

-(formerly "dacote" but I got a new computer and new screen name)

PPS- congrads to you Radionut!!!!

-- Thanks Dan,

glad to see you and the family made it through the move! I'm packing all my furniture today, and I'll be taking most of my stuff to Haslett tomorrow. I don't mind the city driving too much, but the houses are waaay too close together. I picked an apartment that overlooks some woods; it has a kinda country feel to it...but it's not home yet

lata,

raDiOnut

p.s. I like the new name

I moved into my apartment (briarcliffe) this weekend. I am sort of lonely. Cant wait to start meeting you guys. I am at an internet cafe right now. My internet wont be set up until Tuesday. So I dont know when Ill be back on. Hope to meet you all soon. Is anyone moved in yet?????

Does anyone know when we can purchase a parking permit for lot 100?

-Dan

bp1043 said:
I moved into my apartment (briarcliffe) this weekend. I am sort of lonely. Cant wait to start meeting you guys. I am at an internet cafe right now. My internet wont be set up until Tuesday. So I dont know when Ill be back on. Hope to meet you all soon. Is anyone moved in yet?????
Bp,

I too move in to briarcliffe this weekend; but I am leaving for Philadelphia to attend a brief immunology course/seminar (work related). I will be back shortly and would love to meet everyone; btw, I think that Medic owes us a beer or two for the referral $$.

All the best,
-ky

kyriacos01 said:
Bp,

I too move in to briarcliffe this weekend; but I am leaving for Philadelphia to attend a brief immunology course/seminar (work related). I will be back shortly and would love to meet everyone; btw, I think that Medic owes us a beer or two for the referral $$.

All the best,
-ky

I also moved into briarcliffe last week, I would like meet the other people that are in briarcliffe, i am in 2319 apt 20, where are you guys at?

Hi All...I am getting so excited! But I am getting sad too b/c I am going to miss my fam once I get back! I am glad to hear that some of you are settling in. EL isn't too bad once you get used to it! I am not moving back until the 5th. But I will see all of you the 7th and 8th for sure! I can't believe that it will be here so soon!! :D

If you briarcliffe folks want to get together pm me. I am living in 2317-10

medic170 said:
If you briarcliffe folks want to get together pm me. I am living in 2317-10

Im at bldg 2401 Apt 24. Ill pm my cell number to you guys.

Hope to meet you soon!

Marcy

I moved all my furniture and stuff into Nemoke Trls today without any problems. I'm going to go back down on Wednesday to set up my Internet and cable. The best deals I've found through Comcast so far are $20/$20 standard cable/cable internet. Has anyone had better luck?

Can't wait to start meeting everyone....

btw, there's a Chinese place on the intersection of Haslett Rd/Marsh in Haslett that's great -- I've gone 3x already for their $3.99 lunch special.

see everybody soon,

raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
btw, there's a Chinese place on the intersection of Haslett Rd/Marsh in Haslett that's great -- I've gone 3x already for their $3.99 lunch special.

see everybody soon,

raDiOnut

If you havn't checked them out yet, Bravo's and McAllister's in Eastwood shopping center are also great! Sultan's across from Fee at Hannah plaza is also a good place.

For those your have experienced EL's winters, how do the majority of students get to campus when there are snow conditions? I assume most people drive, cata is probably really slow, and biking is probably out of
the option. (I am looking into buying a condo about 4 miles from campus just north of Jolly and Okemos rd) CHeers :)

persianbbq4u said:
If you havn't checked them out yet, Bravo's and McAllister's in Eastwood shopping center are also great! Sultan's across from Fee at Hannah plaza is also a good place.

For those your have experienced EL's winters, how do the majority of students get to campus when there are snow conditions? I assume most people drive, cata is probably really slow, and biking is probably out of
the option. (I am looking into buying a condo about 4 miles from campus just north of Jolly and Okemos rd) CHeers :)

Driving is the best way to get around with snow. Cata can be kind of slow, I have never used them when I lived off campus, but they are slower and usually packed on campus on snowy days. Driving has always been the easiest. I recommend checking the weather before you go to bed the night before and try to get up early and leave early. While the roads aren't always the best, it is MI and they are used to having snow and usually try to clear the streets ASAP. The best thing to do is just be prepared if possible. But don't worry there shouldn't be any snow for a few months! :)

megynelli said:
Driving is the best way to get around with snow. Cata can be kind of slow, I have never used them when I lived off campus, but they are slower and usually packed on campus on snowy days. Driving has always been the easiest. I recommend checking the weather before you go to bed the night before and try to get up early and leave early. While the roads aren't always the best, it is MI and they are used to having snow and usually try to clear the streets ASAP. The best thing to do is just be prepared if possible. But don't worry there shouldn't be any snow for a few months! :)

THANKS for the tip.

I have a question on my finacial aid. I don't understand step 6- disbursment. It says I'm only registered for my classes, not enrolled. I haven't got a bill or anything, yet. Does anyone know if I wait till the fall because that is what my aid is for?

thesterlinggirl said:
I have a question on my finacial aid. I don't understand step 6- disbursment. It says I'm only registered for my classes, not enrolled. I haven't got a bill or anything, yet. Does anyone know if I wait till the fall because that is what my aid is for?

Officially, we're not enrolled in Anatomy (or any class) until the Fall, even though we're taking it in the Summer, so we shouldn't get any bills for tuition until sometime in August. As I understand it, we should be able to get our summer unsub loan on/around Jul 5. We'll get our main loans in August (I forgot the date).

hope this helps,
raDiOnut

Hi everybody -- our thread is too quiet! How's the moving going for everyone? I have everything moved in at "home" except for my groceries.
It took some work, but I also got Comcast to set up my connection so my cable internet works.

I was reading the flyer about getting pictures taken for our class and it mentioned attending the photo shoot "the day your lab meets at 10:15-12:15." Does that mean our lab group will not meet at the same time every day, or am I reading this wrong? (I wish MSU would just post our group times!).

later, raDiOnut

Hi all
My move is complete....but now the wait sucks and I dont know anyone here....let me know if you guys want to get together near campus anytime soon

raDiOnut said:
(I wish MSU would just post our group times!).

I agree. I hate not knowing my schedule when I'm trying to schedule various appointments in July. Does anybody know when they are going to let us know? I hope everyone is moving in alright. Our house is being remodeled and they were supposed to be finished in July, but it looks like September now. So, it should be good and noisy around here while I"m trying to study. I'm looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Hello,

Can you believe it all starts next week!!! I am excited to say the least. We are going north for the 4th and will enjoy some family time before it all starts. I have been practicing driving around E. Lansing and I think everyone is safe now! I am getting used to all the traffic.

-dan

PS- I bought some ear plugs so I can study with the 3 kids playing in the other rooms !

Group #2 anyone?? http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/unitI/ANTR551/ANTR551_lab grplst.pdf

I guess it is safe to assume that weekends will not begin early this summer; anyone in groups 1 or 3 want to switch? PM me if you do. Does anyone recall where/when we can pick up our FA refund checks on the 5th? I seem to have deleted the email; cheers.

I will be back in EL on the 5th and look forward to meeting everyone; have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July weekend.

All the best,
-ky

kyriacos01 said:
Group #2 anyone??
-ky

Hey! I'm in Group #2! I've already put my schedule in my pda. Looks like we have mostly late lab times. That kind of sucks. Oh well, maybe I can get some studying done in between so I can spend my home time with my husband.

Group #2 for me! Looks like we should get used to having lab late on Fridays! I am moving in on Sunday - can't wait to meet all of you! :D

I'm Group #3. Looks like all of you so far are Group 2...anyone for 3?? I'm not looking forward to Tues/Fri lab at 10:15-12:15...that's going to be a long day

I'm going up to Gladwin canoeing this weekend and will be in Lansing Tues night

raDiOnut

Just got back from Chicago. I went to see the Human Body Works. It was pretty incrediable. Looks like I'm by myself in group 1 so far. I can't believe it is less than a week a way. Kind of nervous. Does anyone have any opinions on the text books that are optional?

Wow I feel really lost. I don't even know which lab I'm in yet cause I haven't enrolled. I guess I got accepted kinda late, so they didn't mail me any info and they are gonna get stuff done for me on Tuesday. Yikes!

Anyways, anyone know what's going on this week. I know we have orientation on Thursday. I moved in most of my things today and I plan on coming back on Monday to Dover's Crossing. I'm gonna be lonely. Don't really know anyone who's in our class. I can't wait to meet everyone! Does anyone live out by Dover's Crossing? Or know of any fun things to do out in EL? I haven't really explored the area yet or met any people...

raDiOnut said:
I'm Group #3. Looks like all of you so far are Group 2...anyone for 3?? I'm not looking forward to Tues/Fri lab at 10:15-12:15...that's going to be a long day

I'm going up to Gladwin canoeing this weekend and will be in Lansing Tues night

raDiOnut

I'm in group 3. See you there!

I'm in Lansing now too (actually Haslett). Has anyone picked up their check yet/know where we can get it today???

raDiOnut

Hi everyone,

Tonight there are supposed to be fireworks downtown at 10:15 tonight. They were canceled yesterday due to bad weather. If anyone is interested in going PM me.

Marcy

i picked up my check today at fee hall room C-110 (i think or C-100)...not sure....its Dr. Falls office

thesterlinggirl said:
Does anyone have any opinions on the text books that are optional?

After taking an antomy course at the UC Davis SOM, I would DEFINITELY recommend the Netter Atlas, which you can get free when you join SOMA. Grant's Atlas provides a different perspective with pics/words, but can probably be checked out at the library. I would possibly hold off on the required textbook by Moore/Agur and see how much you really will need it in class (I used it as reference in my class maybe 5-10 times all year, b/c my course pack was pretty comprehensive) I have heard that MSUCOM's course packs are also all you need for biochem/phsio. Oh yeah, I just talked to my Big Sib, and he said it would be a great idea to make copies of revelant Netter pages and bring them into lab as reference. I would also recommend Rohen's/Yokochi's Color atlas of anatomy, which contains real pictures of cadavers with various muscles/nerves labeled (I have an old one with ISBN# 0896401413). It is very helpful when studying for a lab practical. Depending on your learning type, I used the netter alot and drew my own pictures. I bought a coloring book, but never had the time to actually use it. They are not expensive, but may help those very visual learners. I think they are a waste of money but they may help a bit.

Ok, I hope this helps. Yeah, I just checked and I'm in group #2! Not nicely straight out of lecture, but will give us some time to review before a lab practical...Look forward to meeting all of you. Good night :sleep:

With everyone getting ready for summer anatomy, is there anybody starting in the fall semester? :oops:

So what's everybody doing on the last day before orientation? I got my check -- that was easy enough. I like the signs on the doors telling us where to go :)

I discovered the local farmer's market today. It was great, I got bruschetta and bagel chips, cherries...lots of veggies

So, I'm probably going to shop more, watch tv... (btw, the Lansing fireworks were pretty good last night).

later, see you all tomorrow

raDiOnut