****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what did everybody think of Day 1 of orientation? I sure hope we get out a lot earlier tomorrow - that was way too much sitting and talking. Anyone else have a splitting headache?

later, raDiOnut

Members don't see this ad.

raDiOnut said:
So what did everybody think of Day 1 of orientation? I sure hope we get out a lot earlier tomorrow - that was way too much sitting and talking. Anyone else have a splitting headache?

later, raDiOnut

Wow, I felt like most of that was a waste of time. I mean, most of the morning was spent telling us what's different about osteopathy and why we should practice it. Uh, we already enrolled in an osteopathic college, so I think we respect the osteopathic philosophy. And, everyone researched it for the interview anyway. Oh well. Where were you sitting? We should have a forum get together tomorrow sometime. I'm a little nervous now after realizing that we have a test in two weeks! That seems way too soon, but the course will go by quickly at least.

Uh, that really sucked.

Members don't see this ad :)
persianbbq4u said:
Oh yeah, I just talked to my Big Sib, and he said it would be a great idea to make copies of revelant Netter pages and bring them into lab as reference. I would also recommend Rohen's/Yokochi's Color atlas of anatomy, which contains real pictures of cadavers with various muscles/nerves labeled (I have an old one with ISBN# 0896401413)
No real need to make copies. Take it to Kinko's (there are 2 in town near school) and for a few bucks they take the binding off. Most of us just brought the relevant Netter pages directly to lab on an as needed basis. The lab manual is where you can make any necessary notes.

:luck: :luck: :luck: to all of us on our first day of medical school!!!!

Does anyone have any information on the Stoneridge Apartments? Are they decent accomodations? Anything you guys might know about the place would be appreciated! Thanks!

thesterlinggirl said:
Just got back from Chicago. I went to see the Human Body Works. It was pretty incrediable. Looks like I'm by myself in group 1 so far. I can't believe it is less than a week a way. Kind of nervous. Does anyone have any opinions on the text books that are optional?

I went and saw that in LA last fall. Seemed like a good thing for a pre-med student to do!

Good luck to all you COMers starting soon-when is the first day of classes for you guys?

This first week of classes was really rough. M-F I averaged about 12-15 hrs studytime; lots of labtime in addition to the scheduled lab. There is SO much material that we're covering, but I (and everyone else) are dealing with it.

I'm not looking forward to Thursday's exams

later, raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
This first week of classes was really rough. M-F I averaged about 12-15 hrs studytime;

So, about 3 hours of studying a day, in addition to attending classes?

Do you guys have your first test monday?

ALso,
aren't you all just taking one class right now?

Anyways-hang in there-I'll be commiserating in about a month. :smuggrin:

Joriel said:
hey guys, i'll be at the chm this fall and wanted to say what's up. i tried to make a chm thread but it's a little quiet. anyway, i can't wait to meet you guys and good luck with the upcoming exam!

I'll be at CHM, too. I usually hang out in the osteo forums tho. Looking forward to meeting you...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick post wishing everyone good luck on tomorrow's lecture and laboratory examinations.

In the spirt of anatomy, I must return to re-reading that which I have already re-read.

All the best,
-ky

Good luck to everyone on today's exam.
To quote a well-known person, "Relax"
You'll all do fine. :thumbup:

p.s. remember, save your notes ;)

yposhelley said:
So, about 3 hours of studying a day, in addition to attending classes?

Do you guys have your first test monday?

ALso,
aren't you all just taking one class right now?

Anyways-hang in there-I'll be commiserating in about a month. :smuggrin:

Actually, we're in class 4 hours per day (2 hrs lab, 2 hrs lecture). That makes about 8-11ish hrs of independent studying PER DAY -- I worded that bad in the first post

It's a lot *sigh*

raDiOnut

:D :D :D

did anyone else make it to Dr. Falls lecture today???? I was still hungover from Harpers :cool:

subtle1epiphany said:
Good luck to everyone on today's exam.
To quote a well-known person, "Relax"
You'll all do fine. :thumbup:

p.s. remember, save your notes ;)

Not quite sure anyone's checking this thread anymore, but here we go...

I'm planning to arrive in Michigan on 17 Aug or so, but without any furniture or larger items (most important bed/mattress and sofa). What are some good places where I can get those items and bookcases, desk, tables, and chairs? I've checked Ikea, but they don't seem to have a location nearby or really in Michigan. This is the most worrysome part of my move, any advice?

BibiMatoo said:
Hey guys, I just got taken off the alternate list today!!!! :D I can't believe it, I posted here a while ago how I was told I had a very slim chance of getting off the alternate list. Anyways, I haven't gotten any info yet so I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions:

-I filled out my FAFSA in March I believe, am I going to hear back from them now that I got accepted or do I have to meet up with the financial aid people?

-Am I out of luck getting a parking spot close to campus? This is one of my biggest worries..

-I didn't send in my immunization stuff because I figured I had no shot by what I was told by admissions, i hope this isn't a big deal and I could just send that stuff in now..?? :rolleyes:

-Anyone got any recommendations for a studio/1 bedroom apt. in Haslett or Okemos for 650$ or less?

Thanks a lot!
Congratulations!!! That's awesome! Welcome to MSU!

Hmm...answering questions...here's what I think...
You should get on all of these things immediately. Log onto the Parking site and grab your permit (www.dpps.msu.edu), fax in your immunizations by the end of this week assuming you can have your pcp sign off on everything (http://olin.msu.edu/), and start looking for an apartment. For apartments I used www.rent.com as a starting place and settled on Homestead. They may have something left, give them a call, they're in East Lansing (517-351-7700) and less than 10 miles from campus. Club Meridian has had many takers, same with Briarcliffe (they probably won't have anything though) and many other AIMCO sites. Try AIMCO.com they have several locations in the area with hundreds of apartments.
Don't forget that the MSUCOM site has listings of apartments and roommates. (http://www.com.msu.edu/ss/apt/index.html)
All the best!!

BibiMatoo said:
Wow thanks for the help. I can't log into the parking permit site right now but I'm guessing it's self explanatory which parking lot I'm supposed to sign up for? Can't wait to start!
Yeah, the dpps site is only open for a specific number of hours, and they are EST only, which makes a difference if you're a Cali-boy like me. Lot 100 is what you want, although the web-app seemed to know that I was with in the medical school based upon my login information. I forgot before to tell you to make sure that you get your email and web-login set before you continue. Set up your email and make sure that you can login to a couple parts of the site (especially http://stuinfo.msu.edu), then you're ready to go. The dpps site and others will require your username/email and password, so you need those first (which you may have to call for).

BibiMatoo said:
Wow thanks for the help. I can't log into the parking permit site right now but I'm guessing it's self explanatory which parking lot I'm supposed to sign up for? Can't wait to start!

During your apt search, I'd recommend checking out Nemoke Trails in Haslett (on Marsh Rd). I got a 1bedrm for $499 and am quite happy with it. Great area, hiking/biking trails to 3 local parks, close to Meridian Mall-WalMart-Meijer etc.

Re: parking, check out parking at Eyde (it's cheaper than through dpps). I paid around 300ish to park this Fall through the dpps and I've been hearing people say that the Eyde isn't any farther than our lots.

raDiOnut (stressed, studying, stressed....2nd exam in 6 days)

I wasn't aware that anyone was paying this thread much attention anymore. I too was recently pulled off of the waitlist, just last Tuesday to be exact.

I've already secured an apartment. I shopped around a little bit in Haslett and Okemos, including Nemoke Trails, and the best price for a 1 bedroom I found out there was $600. However, a friend of mine who is now an MSII, told me about Brandywine Creek. She lived there all of last year and likes it. It is straight up Hagadorn, 2.8 miles from Fee (yes, I checked mapquest). I got a 1 bedroom, 630 sq. ft. with carport for $540/month. It is quiet, clean, and close to Fee. If interested the number is (517)351-1278. I've dealt exclusively with Amy Pierce. She is very nice and quite helpful. Hope this helps. It would be nice to have someone else who is a class behind everyone close by. Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at:
[email protected]. Talk to you soon.

Rob

BibiMatoo said:
Ok I'll check Brandywine out, thanks a lot. Yeah we should make it a point to know who each other is so we don't feel lonely in anatomy :) .

-Robby

I was accepted this past week as well so I'll be joining you in anatomy this fall. I'm still waiting to get my PID and PIN and stuff so I can register my vehicle, check financial aid, etc. Fun stuff!

podwich said:
I was accepted this past week as well so I'll be joining you in anatomy this fall. I'm still waiting to get my PID and PIN and stuff so I can register my vehicle, check financial aid, etc. Fun stuff!

Hey Congratulations to all of you new additions. We are getting ready for our 2nd anatomy test on Monday. It is going to be pretty rough I think. I can't believe that we've covered so much in four weeks. It doesn't seem possible!!

marie337 said:
Hey Congratulations to all of you new additions. We are getting ready for our 2nd anatomy test on Monday. It is going to be pretty rough I think. I can't believe that we've covered so much in four weeks. It doesn't seem possible!!

Good luck. I'll be feeling your pain in just a few weeks. :)

BibiMatoo said:
Did any of the new people get their PID/PINs yet? I'm still waiting on mine :cool:

Not yet. I called COM admissions and talked with Linda. She told me she'd work on it and for me to call next Monday to check on it.

Here's a question for anyone: Does anyone know of a place I could stay for a few weeks or so at the beginning of school? I'm going to be buying a place down there but it looks like I won't have it until the middle of September or so. I was thinking of something like a short-term lease on an apartment or even sharing someone's apartment for a while if someone is willing (I'd help pay rent, of course). Thanks in advance!

Jordan

podwich said:
Not yet. I called COM admissions and talked with Linda. She told me she'd work on it and for me to call next Monday to check on it.

Here's a question for anyone: Does anyone know of a place I could stay for a few weeks or so at the beginning of school? I'm going to be buying a place down there but it looks like I won't have it until the middle of September or so. I was thinking of something like a short-term lease on an apartment or even sharing someone's apartment for a while if someone is willing (I'd help pay rent, of course). Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Meridean Meadows in Okemos has 3 month leases, which was the reason I chose this place (looking into buying a condo). It is really nice and very quiet. Kind of far, but I have been driving to campus in under 10 minutes.
You can check out the roommate lisiting on the MSUCOM website, under student services I believe. The classified section of the campus newspaper also has alot of roomate wanted listings. Hope this helps!

yposhelley said:
I'll be at CHM, too. I usually hang out in the osteo forums tho. Looking forward to meeting you...

Hey CHMer's, look forward to meeting you guys this fall. I wanted to send a email on the CHM 2009 listserv., but need to pass it on to a incoming CHM student. I am tranferring to the MAC and need to transfer my Gold's Gym membership to someone. Gold's Gym is a great place for cardio and weight lifting, but I need a place to play B-ball and swim. It is $400 for med students (for a 2-year membership), but I am giving it away for $300 (comes out to only $12.50/month). If I can forward the email to someone, I would greatly appreciate it. I only went to workout 3X, but hope pass it on to someone. Cheers :)

BibiMatoo said:
Did you hear anything today? I'm gonna give her a call tomorrow to see what's up if it's still not set up.

-rob

I called on Monday and got my PID/PIN. It didn't work until Tuesday night. I think I have most everything I can on there figured out (I signed the MPN for the Stafford and Perkins loans, accepted financial aid, etc). I registered for classes as well-there are conflicts but I was told they'd be worked out during orientation. Here's hoping I got everything-I guess there was a packet that described everything you're supposed to do but I never got it.

On the bright side, I have a place to live this year! It's down near Holt and looks to be pretty decent. And none too soon, I might add. :)

Just a brief message welcoming our 'new' classmates; and wishing everyone good luck on tomorrow's examinations! Where did the time go!?!

All the best,
-ky

Hey guys. I will be applying to MSUCOM this year. Would anyone like to share their gpas and mcat scores? Is it important to shadow a DO?

hi medstu06,

yep, you should prolly shadow a DO -- in my experience most DO schools require this. Also, it's always good to spend time getting to know the profession (I'm saying this not knowing your background)

I got in w/ MCAT 24Q, GPA 3.55. SO, people with less than stellar MCATS (but great ECs/experience etc) can get in....

PM me if you have any ??s -- our forum's been pretty quiet lately

raDiOnut
MSUCOM class of 2009

Yeah, the forum's been completely dead since orientation, which makes sense.
Medstu, my gpa was about 3.45 or so, and my mcat 29 (10, 10, 9 PS)
But then you have to consider that I'm an out-of-state student, and the acceptance rate for us is about 3.5%.
Best of luck, I'm enjoying it here.

yposhelley said:
There don't seem to be many people on SDN who have applied to Michigan medical schools.

Oh well, all we can do is keep bumping up this thread (casting the bait)... :D

I would like to know how long after the secondary application is received does msucom let you know if you will receive an interview or not. days? weeks? thank you.

Radionut,

Hello. I hoping you could tell me who would I contact if I wanted to shadow @ OMM Clinic or anywhere else around East Lansing. Thanks a bunch and go MSU!!

Any of you MSU D.O's interested in getting together to wrestle? Ladies?

Emailing /calling any of the docs at the MSU clinical center would be good for shadowing FP. Dr.Dupuis is great to shadow. You could call/email Dr.Gugel or any of the docs at the OMM clinic for shadowing experiences. Dr.Doane no longer works at the clinical center, but she isn't too far away. I shadowed her and I learned SO MUCH!!!
I would imagine that most of the docs associated with MSUCOM would be willing to let students shadow them as well.
Hope this helps.