****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
persianbbq4u said:
Ewoks, yeah, a OMS-II also recommended Club Meridian as a quiet place that is within 10 min. to Fee. He also mentioned Central Park and Brandywine as complexes that are pretty quiet.

Also, has anyone tryed the link that Ms. Schafer sent us regarding the apartment ratings for class of 2008? I tryed the link but it did not work. :( I will try contacting her about it...
Hmmm....I didn't get that link, where was it? Can you post it?
(Just interested)

Members don't see this ad.

Ewoks said:
Hello All,

I too am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. Does anyone have any opinions about Club Meridian in Okemos? It was recommended to me by a former med student.

Thanks.

I tripped onto a very informative website,
http://www.apartmentratings.com, which has many
reviews of East Lansing/Okemos apts. Taught you might
be interested. Yes, Club Meridean sounds like a good
place, but the management may be questionable. In
any event, one has to get a personal assesment of the
complexes themselves.

subtle1epiphany said:
Hmmm....I didn't get that link, where was it? Can you post it?
(Just interested)

Yeah, it was in an email sent by Robin Marsh on march 4th with email subject: MSU COM Housing Information, it was actually written by Kathie Schafer. Here is the link part:

I know you've been waiting for information about local housing, so here it is. If you'll use this link, http://studentdoctor.com.msu.edu/2008/index.html , then click on "Apartment/Housing Guide 2005", you'll find a survey of housing information and preferences from the Class of 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another good place to look at apartment ratings is allmsu.com. it may not have ratings from med students, but it will tell you at least if the place is loud, prices etc...just a good place to look. You will have to register but its not a big deal...hope that helps!

persianbbq4u said:
I tripped onto a very informative website,
http://www.apartmentratings.com, which has many
reviews of East Lansing/Okemos apts. Taught you might
be interested. Yes, Club Meridean sounds like a good
place, but the management may be questionable. In
any event, one has to get a personal assesment of the
complexes themselves.

I used apartmentratings.com also when I was apartment shopping and got mixed results. I'd definitely look over the comments in the ratings, but some seem a little biased.

gl on the continuing apartment shopping

megynelli said:
Another good place to look at apartment ratings is allmsu.com. it may not have ratings from med students, but it will tell you at least if the place is loud, prices etc...just a good place to look. You will have to register but its not a big deal...hope that helps!

Thank you everyone for the help. With all these resources, I am sure the perfrect apt is waiting. Just in case the link from Kathie didn't work for others, Kathie just sent me a word document of the class of 2008 apt ratings. I am glad to forward the email to those who are interested.

I was wondering if anyone still has or knows where I can find the sheet that breaks down the expenses/tuition for a year. I had it at one point, but I'm in the process of moving and can't find it anywhere. I just wanted to know roughly what tuition is for a year for a MI resident, so I can decide if I really need to accept all of these loans or if my savings will cover some of it. Thanks.

thesterlinggirl said:
I was wondering if anyone still has or knows where I can find the sheet that breaks down the expenses/tuition for a year. I had it at one point, but I'm in the process of moving and can't find it anywhere. I just wanted to know roughly what tuition is for a year for a MI resident, so I can decide if I really need to accept all of these loans or if my savings will cover some of it. Thanks.

I think this is the link you're looking for:

http://finaid.msu.edu/med/budcom.asp

raDiOnut

Hey MSU-friends,

I was placed on the alternate list, but Im not sure if its ranked or not???? Does anyone here know??? I talked with Ms. Schafer and asked if there is anything I could do to help strengthen my application, and she just said to keep trying :oops:

l8r

My friend was on it last year, and I think she said it was divided into quartiles. At this point though, I don't know if there is much you can do to change your application beside stay in touch with the admissions staff with any additional volunteering/work/research you may doing. Also, I don't know if it is too late to write a letter of intent. Either way good luck.

I have heard that if you are in the upper quartile, you have a good shot at gaining a place. Slight caveat in that you may not find out until when the second anatomy class starts in late Aug - early Sept...good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Something I keep noticing, why is it that nobody on this forum seem to acknowledge MSU as a choice in their applications or when they compare schools?
MSU is a fantastic school, the first state-affiliated DO school and has incredible rotations, I mean why else would I have chosen to attend?
Is it because we accept so few non-residents? Or that the MD school overshadows us? Maybe that the name MSU-COM just isn't out there, or it's just a SDN thing.
I just keep wondering, I guess if it's bothering me I should post in those forums about MSU...
Since we're going to be classmates, what do you guys think?

subtle1epiphany said:
Something I keep noticing, why is it that nobody on this forum seem to acknowledge MSU as a choice in their applications or when they compare schools?
MSU is a fantastic school, the first state-affiliated DO school and has incredible rotations, I mean why else would I have chosen to attend?
Is it because we accept so few non-residents? Or that the MD school overshadows us? Maybe that the name MSU-COM just isn't out there, or it's just a SDN thing.
I just keep wondering, I guess if it's bothering me I should post in those forums about MSU...

Dunno. I'm guessing that a lot if it is in the reasons you suggested -- off the forum (ie general public in MI), I hear a lot of good stuff about MSUCOM. I think the low number of out-of-state acceptances could have a lot to do with it

On the book topic -- I ran a few of the ISBNs through half.com and came up with some decent discounts. Most of our books are out there at a pretty good discount ($20-$50 for most of the books in softcover), though some are only $10 or so cheaper than new..... Has anyone found any deals elsewhere?

raDiOnut

subtle1epiphany said:

I would really guess that it has a lot to do with the high out of state cost of tuition. MSU is a really awesome school, I've never heard anyone deny that, but for a lot of applicants, its not really a feasible decision. Its not very easy to get accepted as an out of state applicant, and even if you do, the tuition scares many off.

That being said, there is a lot more conversation generated on SDN about MSUCOM than there is about MSUCHM. Believe me, I have looked around. I've made the decision to attend CHM instead of COM, but I have found virtually NO PEERS on SDN to chat with who will be attending CHM(aside from Medic). But thats OK, because I still like perusing the osteopathic threads better than the other threads. Speaking of which, I had to tell the DO that allowed me to shadow them and ovserve OMM that I ended up choosing CHM the other day! Talk about being a little awkward. I still plan on taking OMM classes, but as I explained to him there really there seems to be not a whole lot of difference between the two schools, seeing as how they share classes the first year...CHM gets a longer summer break. Call me lazy, but that was attractive to me. :oops:

I'm making this post because I wish somebody had done this for me when we were incoming and saved me a bunch of money. I looked over the the book list you guys have and it's basically the same exact thing we had. Now here's what you really need:

Coursepacks for every class should be obvious. They're very complete for the 1st year classes.
For anatomy: Netter, but don't buy it on your own. When you join SOMA (the Student Osteopathic Medical Association) they give you a Netter as part of the membership. Optionally, buy the Rohan illustrated Anatomy Atlas if you like looking at real anatomy outside of lab. Anything else is superfluous. I purchased the Essential Clinical Anatomy book and never used it.

Physiology: Nothing, the coursepack alone will do you fine. If you want a good Histology referrence get the Histo book but it's by no means obligatory. Same goes for Medical Physiology and the Biochem books. They're good referrence but I think I've used each maybe once thus far.

Biochem/Genetics: The Lippincott review if you must have a referrence book. I never used mine during the entire run of Biochem. The Medical Genetics book I have no idea what it even looks like so once again, stick to the coursepack (especially if you've had any sort of genetics before).

DPR: the Medical Interview book you'll need for sure by 2nd semester so consider picking it up now but you'll likely not need it.

OMM: I personally still do not own any OMM books. Both of the listed books are fine, get either or both if you like referrence material or really enjoy OMM.

Final thought: If you're unsure whether you need a certain book I highly recommend holding off and purchasing them on a need basis. Wait a few days/weeks as your classes go by and only get the books that will absolutely help you. I am the proud owner of several texts that look very pretty on my shelf but have gotten little or no usage. Save yourself the money.

Cheers TT,

-ky

raDiOnut said:
Dunno. I'm guessing that a lot if it is in the reasons you suggested -- off the forum (ie general public in MI), I hear a lot of good stuff about MSUCOM. I think the low number of out-of-state acceptances could have a lot to do with it

On the book topic -- I ran a few of the ISBNs through half.com and came up with some decent discounts. Most of our books are out there at a pretty good discount ($20-$50 for most of the books in softcover), though some are only $10 or so cheaper than new..... Has anyone found any deals elsewhere?

raDiOnut

I've had pretty good luck with fetchbook.info

I contacted Mrs. Schafer via email and asked her where I stand on the waitlist and she said that they couldnt tell me :( so i guess i just have to sit back and wait :sleep:

subtle1epiphany said:
S1E,
I agree with YPO; time & $$. As a fellow non-resident you know that the cost of non-resident tuition is sick; also, the relative number of non-resident matriculants is on the order of <8-10%. The ~20k non-resident scholarship (which I did not receive UGH!) had just become available to the class of 2008. The early manner in which we had to apply for this scholarship suggests that MSUCOM may indeed use this funding as a recruitment tool.

IMHO, even with MSUCOMs consistent USN&WR Primary care rankings, I feel that the AOA and MSUCOM do a marginal job of marketing; i.e., here are a few tidbits of information that I researched prior to my interview: roughly 25% of the Osteopathic residencies are located in Michigan, MSU is a state funded school with Osteopathic, Allopathic, and Veterinary medical schools, MSUCOM has an MSTP DO/PhD with 7 graduate programs, approximately 96% of MSUCOM graduates received their top AOA match choice, and MSUCOM offers tuition reciprocity (4th year) for non-residents who choose Michigan for their residency.

Perhaps this is related to the caliber of interviewees I met along the way, but a few of the candidates, many from the Midwest mind you, did not know that MSU had an Osteopathic medical school. How one can overlook a school with such a rich tradition and fine reputation is beyond me.

Again, IMHO, it seems reasonable to expect persons interested in Osteopathic medicine, Allopathic medicine, Pharmacy, Law, what have you, research a myriad of options; weigh said options and choose a path best suited to their needs/goals/etc. Simply through exposure, those persons who lurk or post on SDN should be more informed on the subject(s) and/or opportunities; e.g., MSUCOM. However, based upon many of the posts that I have read of late (except, of course, those here in the Official MSUCOM Class of 2009 thread) these expectations seem to reverberate a societal trend away from personal integrity, self assurance, and accountability. Just look at the innumerable MD>DO>Caribe>DDS>PA>Dog catcher, please help me grow a backbone, I heard this about (insert inane question) any thoughts other than my own, and I can't decide what to do, help me define my character/morality, etc. threads.

*Rant over*
I'm kind of bitchy today; sorry about the random diatribe.

All in all MSUCOM has a great program. I only applied to Osteopathic programs and MSUCOM was my first choice; I welcome challenge and am humbled by the opportunities which lie ahead. BTW...59 days until anatomy begins.

All the best,
-ky

Hi guys. Anyone who is still moving or has moved to Briarcliff, could you please PM me with your names and move in dates (if you know) so I can get credit for the referrals? Thanks a lot!!!!!

I was just wondering how the rest of you from out of state were planning on moving to East Lansing. Are people hiring professional movers? If so which ones have you guys looked into? I am thinking about getting everything from home and hiring movers to take it up or just get movers to unload my stuff and then buy furniture once I get to EL. I am coming from New Jersey and would appreciate any advice as I have never done this before.

Oh, I also decided to live at Club Meridian! Any other MSUCOM students decide to live there? I am getting very excited to be starting classes again.

Thanks,

Ewoks

Hi everybody,

I'm leaving tonite for the Black Hills, so see ya'all in 2 weeks when I get back!

Here's hoping for good tenting weather!

raDiOnut

OMG! If anyone has spare time this summer, you must make a road trip to Chicago and see the Bodyworlds exhibit at the Museum of Science and industry. It has tons of bodys that have gone through plastination and basically its tons of cadavers in different positions showing you all the sysyems of the body. It is seriously amazing!! I have taken cadaver lab at MSU and MSU is no comparison to this exhibit. So I highly recommend going to see it if you have time! :) anyone going to the scholarship thing? just wondering! :D

Just returning from SW FL & bumping us back to page one.

Megynelli, thanks for the MS&I Bodyworlds information; I am in Chicago this weekend for a soccer tournament it will definitely be added to my agenda.

All the best,
-ky

Ewoks,

I have been working with Premier Transfer and Storage Inc. (1800-634-8571), which I found through their flyer that was attached to a mailing by Dr. Falls that included all the parking/enrollment info. They supposedly have a AACOM discount. Really, they have been a pain in the ass in getting me a quote, which took over 2 weeks. I am coming from CA, and about 304 cu. ft. of stuff costs about 2300 to transport to MI. In your situation, it would be alot cheaper coming from NJ. I am going to call other companies to get a better price. If you recommend another company, please let me know. If I find a better one, I will also let you know. Laters.

Ewoks said:
I was just wondering how the rest of you from out of state were planning on moving to East Lansing. Are people hiring professional movers? If so which ones have you guys looked into? I am thinking about getting everything from home and hiring movers to take it up or just get movers to unload my stuff and then buy furniture once I get to EL. I am coming from New Jersey and would appreciate any advice as I have never done this before.

Oh, I also decided to live at Club Meridian! Any other MSUCOM students decide to live there? I am getting very excited to be starting classes again.

Thanks,

Ewoks

Super Movers (1866 381 8985), found via 123movers.com, gave me a great deal at 1360 for my stuff and I used DAS via ebay to send my truck for under 600. Way better than that AACOM affiliated company.

Ewoks said:

Thanks,

Ewoks

persianbbq4u said:
Super Movers (1866 381 8985), found via 123movers.com, gave me a great deal at 1360 for my stuff and I used DAS via ebay to send my truck for under 600. Way better than that AACOM affiliated company.

Hey,

Thanks for the tip! I will look into them. :)

Cheers,

Ewoks

I keep putting off the immunization record. I guess I should really get that filled out. I can't believe we start in about a month! I'm very ready to get going. I've been off since January. I've tackled most of my to-do list. And, now I'm ready to be a medical student. Anyway, just had to get some excitement off my chest :D :D :D .

Hi everybody,

I'm in the last couple days of my trip out West and got my first internet access in weeks while I'm here in Montana. My bf of three years (now fiance) proposed out in the Black Hills, which was a very romantic start for our trip. Needless to say, we've been having a great time

Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Park were gorgeous! We saw lots of bear, 2 moose, elk, deer, antelope, etc

ttyl, hope everyone's enjoying our last month of vacation

raDiOnut,

Congratulations on your engagement!!

All the best,
-ky

raDiOnut said:
Hi everybody,

I'm in the last couple days of my trip out West and got my first internet access in weeks while I'm here in Montana. My bf of three years (now fiance) proposed out in the Black Hills, which was a very romantic start for our trip. Needless to say, we've been having a great time

Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Park were gorgeous! We saw lots of bear, 2 moose, elk, deer, antelope, etc

ttyl, hope everyone's enjoying our last month of vacation

Congratulations! What a memorable place for a proposal :love: .

Hey guys. Need advice. I always wanted a dog. I am finaly moving out on my own(never allowed pets) into an apartment. Does anyone else here have a dog? Do you think we would be too busy? Thanks.

Maybe if you live close enough to campus, you can run home on a break to let the dog out. There is a great place in Haslett or Okemos called Doggy Daycare, if you can afford it. It sounds funny, but a lot of people take their pets somewhere during the day. I love dogs, but I've realized how much easier my two cats are. I don't think I will get a dog now until much later in life.

First congratulations on getting engaged that is so exciting!

Next when I got the e-mail about our book list I got this huge pit in my stomach. I can't believe all of this is actually happening. I am so excited and nervous at the same time! Is anyone going to the scholarship dinner on Tuesday? I hope I get to me some of you there if not July 7 is around the corner!! :D

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the wishes re: my engagement. I'm really excited even though Eric and I are going to wait a little while to get married.

I came home from my trip with a voicemail from Briarcliffe, the apartment I'd signed my contract with -- they said they wouldn't have an apartment for me Jul 1! I talked to Amanda, my contact there, and she said the earliest I could possibly get a 1 bedrm apartment would be maybe in August (w/ no guarantees). I thought that was pretty ridiculous since I'd signed a contract and paid $250 in JANUARY to guarantee an apartment Jul 1. Briarcliffe then tried to persuade me to get a 1yr lease on a 2 bedroom apartment for way more than the 1 bedrm would have cost. I requested my deposit back, and after 2 visits and a lot of phone calls, it looks like I'll get $200 back --- the whole thing is crazy since Briarcliffe is the one who violated my contract.

Anyway, I kind of freaked since I had planned to move in 3 wks, and started apartment shopping again. I revisited Nemoke Trails in Haslett and decided to go there. They offered me a pretty nice 1bedrm for 499/mo, which was a pretty good deal.

Briarcliffe turned out to be a bad deal, which was unfortunate since it had looked so promising. I hope noone else going to Briarcliffe has the problems I had.

I'm glad that I finally got everything straightened out and I should be moving into Nemoke Trails a week from Saturday. I hope nobody else is having housing issues!

later, raDiOnut

Anyone have tips for the biochem waiver exam? I'd love to pass it, but I have a lot of reviewing to do. I don't know where to even start. It has been a year since I took biochem.

bp1043 said:
whats the waiver exam? Never heard of it. Thanks!
You can place out of Biochemistry and/or Genetics by taking and passing waiver exams. The exam is pretty hard from what I've heard. I think our class had something like 50 or 60 people that attempted Biochem (granted some of them took it just because they felt like seeing how hard it was) but only 3 people passed.

Great, that doesn't give me much hope :mad: ! I'll give it a try anyway though. It would be worth the effort if I could avoid those classes. I'm glad I'm a pack rat and kept every single note from biochem!

I did not receive the email regarding the book list. Can someone please post the email if it had more information on it than what is posted on the MSUCOM website?

Thanks.

Ewoks said:
I did not receive the email regarding the book list. Can someone please post the email if it had more information on it than what is posted on the MSUCOM website? Thanks.

The book list is the same as that found on the ANTR 551 website... :)

I know what you are saying...I have been off since Dec. and my mind is ready to be filled with ALL that we will learn, yeah, alot of stuff . Just getting organized and learning more about MSUCOM. Above all, taking advantage of my last days of minimum responsibility :) P.S. I just noticed the schedule for orientation and stuff is online at the MSUCOM website

marie337 said:
I keep putting off the immunization record. I guess I should really get that filled out. I can't believe we start in about a month! I'm very ready to get going. I've been off since January. I've tackled most of my to-do list. And, now I'm ready to be a medical student. Anyway, just had to get some excitement off my chest :D :D :D .

raDiOnut said:
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the wishes re: my engagement. I'm really excited even though Eric and I are going to wait a little while to get married.

I'm glad that I finally got everything straightened out and I should be moving into Nemoke Trails a week from Saturday. I hope nobody else is having housing issues!

later, raDiOnut

Congrads on your engagement! I am actually going to check out Nemoke Trails next week, sounds like a quiet, chill place. We'll see what happens.

Also, does anyway know how to access the ant 551 website? I tried searching for it via angel.msu.edu but had no luck. Gracias.