****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JohnDO said:
My "Admission Checklist" says the pre-registration fee is due April 15th. What do you mean Friday!!

ok...pheeewwww, me too. maybe its because the other poster was accepted later??? and they adjusted fees/due dates??:mad: :laugh: :idea: :smuggrin: :D

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I should call and ask. :O

JohnDO said:
Maybe I should call and ask. :O

please let us know if you find something out. can't check my stuff out at home right now, but i sure will later. i am pretty sure we're right. i specifically remember the 15th's :sleep: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone get their username and password to the KCOM web portal? Doesn't look like we get to access much yet, everything asks me for additional username and password and then denies me access so maybe they will add stuff as the year goes on.

Medicfletch said:
Did everyone get their username and password to the KCOM web portal? Doesn't look like we get to access much yet, everything asks me for additional username and password and then denies me access so maybe they will add stuff as the year goes on.

username through email or snail mail?? i didn't get anything?

Medicfletch said:

Yes, I got it through email. I found it in my junk mail folder.

Medicfletch said:
Through email. The sender is helpdesk.

First & foremost - CONGRATULATIONS to all of you for selecting a superb school that is truly invested in your education & training. I can personally vouch for the fact that coming from KCOM will not place you at a competitive disadvantage in matching into the specialty of your choice. If you work hard & earn the credentials - you can & will be a competitive applicant. Do not let any rumors or nay-sayers convince you otherwise. However, it will not be handed to you - you will have to work & work hard to earn this.

I look forward to calling each of you a fellow alumnus!

If you have any questions about KCOM that I can shed light upon, feel free to e-mail or PM me. Understand that I am a resident & about to start a month of cardiothoracic anesthesia (means: busier than a 1-armed wallpaper hanger); so it may take some time for me to respond. But, I will happy to do so.

Again, my CONGRATULATIONS!

OldManDave said:
First & foremost - CONGRATULATIONS to all of you for selecting a superb school that is truly invested in your education & training. I can personally vouch for the fact that coming from KCOM will not place you at a competitive disadvantage in matching into the specialty of your choice. If you work hard & earn the credentials - you can & will be a competitive applicant. Do not let any rumors or nay-sayers convince you otherwise. However, it will not be handed to you - you will have to work & work hard to earn this.

I look forward to calling each of you a fellow alumnus!

If you have any questions about KCOM that I can shed light upon, feel free to e-mail or PM me. Understand that I am a resident & about to start a month of cardiothoracic anesthesia (means: busier than a 1-armed wallpaper hanger); so it may take some time for me to respond. But, I will happy to do so.

Again, my CONGRATULATIONS!

thanks for the kind words to our new class :) how old are you... :eek:

Hey Class of 2009'ers!

I just wanted to extend my congratulations to all of you as you come ever closer to beginning a totally wild ride (but a totally fun one). You've chosen a great school with an even better reputation out in the "real world."

Please take the advice of several of my colleagues before me and be sure to relax and take a vacation, the best you know how, during these months leading up to your move to Kirksville. That's the single best thing you can do!

I also wanted to let you know that I will be one of your anatomy/histo/embryo fellows this year! I'm finishing my third year right now up in Michigan. I'm looking forward to meeting you all, for sure. It's always nice to have new colleagues! In the mean time, feel free to PM me with any questions. FYI - I won't answer any questions related specifically to what you should be studying before coming to KCOM. I'm not a meanie...I just want you all to relax and NOT STUDY! There will be plenty of time for all that craziness later, and I'll be there to help!

Ryan :)

Sorry, I guess I just thought they were due on the 1st of the month, not the 15th. Shows how closely I was looking, sorry for the scare.

-Jesse

briansmichaud said:
ok...pheeewwww, me too. maybe its because the other poster was accepted later??? and they adjusted fees/due dates??:mad: :laugh: :idea: :smuggrin: :D

Something interesting you can access on the email page:

Login with the provided password
Click My Files
Click KCOM Students

You can see a bunch of review documents and class notes....kind of interesting if you're looking for something to mess with.

-Jesse

Members don't see this ad :)
huh, for me it won't let me access anything except student email. Keeps asking for username and password and then denies me access. You must be special :D .

Has anyone successfully changed their password? This is another thing it won't let me do.

It lets me into everything. I changed my password right away. Could it do with how much of the deposits you have made. I have made all $2000 dollars of the deposit so far so maybe that is why it lets me into everything. If this is a wrong assumption, you may want to contact the school and ask why you can't even change your password.

Lindsay

Can't be the deposit thing. I paid all $2000 as well. Oh well, who knows.

Well, I don't know why you guys can't login to the portal. Because one can get into some apps and another can't get into anything doesn't make sense, either. I'll get to the bottom of it, though. For those of you that can get into the "my files" have fun! There is a bunch of good stuff in there, and a bunch of junk. You can find the old tests there. Plus, there are pictures of dissections and all of the sort. The old tests are under "files_cd". You will use that location for practically every test you will take. Can you guys log into the forums?

briansmichaud said:
www.OldPreMeds.org i went to this website...i almost qualified :scared: :(
Actually, we are completely open to all & never have/never will discriminate based on age...you're just expected to behave! We have quite a few "traditional" members & find them able to contribute on an equal level to our nontrads.

i called up the help desk on friday and there was a work-study student there who said he didn't know why it wasn't working. i even asked him put in my username and given-password to see if he could access the "change password" page to see if it was just a security thing w/ my computer, but to no avail. i'm guessing they'll fix it if it's such a universal problem. my fiance couldn't do it on her account either.
don't forget to spring forward.
later

Has anybody received any financial aid info yet? I sent in my FASFA weeks ago and have yet to receive any info on financial aid.

lgriffie said:
Has anybody received any financial aid info yet? I sent in my FASFA weeks ago and have yet to receive any info on financial aid.

don't worry...i don't think anyone has received info yet. i almost thought steve said by the beginning of may or something. but i might totally be making this up. i like to talk about things i know nothing about :D

I was having the same password b/roblem as everyone else. I sent an email to Helpdesk, and they got back to me today. I'm not sure if this will work for the rest of you without contacting the Help Desk, but when they resent me my password, it was lowercase this time instead of all caps. Other people Who are having problems might want to try this and see it it works.

-Jesse

jnpeacoc said:
Hey everyone,

I too received the KCOM Housing mail today. I have a question for current KCOM students, I keep hearing about this apartment complex that is closer than student housing, but no one seems to know its name. Current KCOMers, can you post the names of some of the popular/nice but affordable apartment complexes?

-Jesse

Greetings and salutations to all 2009'ers!

Med Row is the name of an apt. complex close to campus, right across the street from halfway between the main campus and the anatomy lab (behind what used to the the Golden Spike bar. It is actually closer to the anatomy lab than the on-campus apartments are. Also, there are new apartments right across the street from the anatomy lab.

:)

Hey guys. I received a "new student guide to ATSU" today. Anyone else get theres yet? Runtita, how are the "Med Row" apts, have you scoped them out or just seen them from the street? Also, any idea what the name of the apartments right across from the anatomy lab are? Thanks!

JohnDO said:
Hey guys. I received a "new student guide to ATSU" today. Anyone else get theres yet? Runtita, how are the "Med Row" apts, have you scoped them out or just seen them from the street? Also, any idea what the name of the apartments right across from the anatomy lab are? Thanks!

yes...i got my packet from kcom as well

I don't know much about the apartments. Just watch out for sharing a wall with Truman students.

Anyway, many have had problems with logging onto the portal. I spoke with the Help Desk today, and they said that if you send an email to the help desk ([email protected]) then they will be able to get you on your way. Sometimes crazy things happen with the accounts. Good luck to all.

Sorry I never got back to forum about failing. You need to pass your classes with 70%, or you have to go before the "promotions board". If the failed class is your first, then 66-69% will allow you to take a comprehensive final to see if you can get above 70, but your grade will remain 70. If you are below 66, the policy is to dismiss you from school. That being said, if you fail below 66 during the 1st quarter, they almost always will put you on an "extended program" where you can continue in some classes (those that don't require the one you failed) and then you will retake the class with the next years class. Therefore, you are no longer in the class of 2009, but class of 2010 (med school=5 years). Some failed 2 classes and had this option. Now, if you fail a class a second time, start praying that they don't kick you out of school, because they probably will (even if it is within the 66-69% range). There are always exceptions, but, don't bank on it.

If you do fail a class, some are better than others. Those that fail anatomy or biochem end up with a ton of nothing to do during the next 3 quarters. Failing histo/embryo allows you more options (the only class with histo as a prereq is path). So, if you do find yourself behind the 8 ball in 2 or more classes, it would be wise to choose your battle.

Having said all of that, only 3 of 170 students in my class were placed on the extended program. They all failed histo, which was an absolute joke this year (it will be different next year, I promise you). Don't sweat it!

JohnDO said:

I've heard that Med Row is pretty nice but small. I don't think the other apartments have a name, but they are on the corner of Jefferson and Main, I think.

just testing this new handle out

So how many other people are obsessively checking this thread?

Haha, just wanted to say something new.

And a little giddy after finishing a Biochem test that raped our class. (Last I heard, out of the first 70 points that were graded, our class average was a 40...ouch.)

Anyone else crazy enough to be taking killer classes this last semester before med school?

lol, I used to obsessively check this thread, but I've been pretty busy lately. We also had a biochem test today. I skipped though, because he drops your lowest grade of the first three tests and I was "satisfied" with my first two test scores. That's my only "rough" class this semester though. Physics for bio and med is difficult, but I enjoy physics. The other two classes are eeeasssyyy. Less than four weeks till I have my degree!

jnpeacoc said:
So how many other people are obsessively checking this thread?

Anyone else crazy enough to be taking killer classes this last semester before med school?
mmmmm....yeeaaahhh, i am kind of like waiting for school to start and sdn to wear off...

well i am procrastinating on my thesis this semester so that i'll have to fly back and defend it over one of our breaks...yay!! :rolleyes: but i am sure its not as mind numbing as your biochem :eek:

see my avatar everyone?? that's me working on my thesis longing to be in kirksville :D

JohnDO said:
lol, We also had a biochem test today. I skipped though, because he drops your lowest grade of the first three tests and I was "satisfied" with my first two test scores.
way to give it your all right to the end!! :laugh:

40% ehh? Sounds like histo/embryo at KCOM. I don't remember if there was a class average on a test that was above passing last quarter. I do know this, the admin put their foot in the door and passed everybody (yup, even the guy with a 57% in the class).

Even though you guys are taking hard classes instead of skimming it, you will be glad you did when you get to school and you know what a southern blot is or that the introns have been removed from mRNA. Seems dumb, but these little facts add up real quick and your brain gets full fast.

I highly recommend that students take an anatomy class before coming, since that is probably the most important class during first quarter. Anatomy is a process; once you figure it out it is easy. Just don't figure it out the night before the final.

Hahahaha. I too am enrolled in biochemisty... and only biochemsitry... and it is intro. to biochemistry (the dumbed down version). And I am sitting here procrastinating because my test is not until Friday... :rolleyes: (It was the only biochem class offered this semester.) I am not a total slacker. I graduated last May, so I put in my time, lol. (Yet, I feel like I am about to begin a new sentence--and I am happy about it!)

Oh yeah, and my home page is set to sdn... :cool: At least for the time being.

Make sure you start checking your KCOM e-mail. I received a message in mine today regarding immunizations.

Lindsay

lgriffie said:
Make sure you start checking your KCOM e-mail. I received a message in mine today regarding immunizations.

Lindsay

You can also set up your KCOM email to foward to an email address you regularly check. (I've got mine going to my gmail account so I don't miss anything). PM me or send an email to [email protected] if you want help setting it up.

Hey guys,

Have any of you guys heard about the Cedar Court Apts on Sheridan?
I talked with a realtor and she said that most students living there are from KCOM, but there are some Truman students. Plus the apt list that i received didn't include them. Did I sign up for a sketchy place or am I sailing smooth?
Thanks

Has anyone been able to use the Forum feature yet? And if so, how? Thanks.

redsox24 said:
Has anyone been able to use the Forum feature yet? And if so, how? Thanks.

I finally was able to access the forums today and change my password! :D . Had to have them reset my account through the helpdesk but everything works now. As for the forums, not much there....only can view politics in healthcare and handhelds in medicine. Oh well, who knows, maybe they will update it soon.

I have just a quick question... I know that we are required to have health insurance while in school, but does it matter if we have a good policy or not? In essence, can we find a cheap plan with a high deductible or are there any minimum requirements from the school? I would imagine that as long as we have proof of insurance of some kind, we should be okay; however, I have been wrong before (once--maybe twice, lol). Better to know now...

I know people that have med savings accounts and then a super high deductible that only pays for serious procedures.

About the forums, I don't know when the "ask a first year" forum will pop up, but, you can (don't tell anybody I said this) hijack one of the other forums. Just make a new thread like "class of 2009" in the handhelds thread of politics thread. When people post on it, the moderator (if they even look at it) will talk to the big guys and get the "ask a first year" forum up.

Don't tell anybody I said this. hehehehe

So... I hope nobody minds me straying from the "Portal is messed up" and "housing is worse" topics....

But I'm kind of curious: what are your plans for the summer? I guess this is the last real summer for many of us, and I think it will be neat to hear what others are doing.

Also -- PM or e-mail me if you'll be in the Chicago-area over the summer.

paintingcolorbl said:
But I'm kind of curious: what are your plans for the summer? I guess this is the last real summer for many of us, and I think it will be neat to hear what others are doing.
working on a :barf:thesis

Hello all, I have been accepted to KCOM as well as of last December but haven't really had a chance to put anything on this thread. Graduated from the University of Montana in 2001 currently working as a medical technologist in Washington State. My question for current students is this: Is there any way we can get the ISBN numbers for your "must have" text books for class. Also, do you know if the professors are going to be updating any of the books for this next years class (newer editions and such). I appreciate the information. Thought I would get a jump on it early and look for those books online.

paintingcolorbl said:
But I'm kind of curious: what are your plans for the summer? QUOTE]

Oh I have tons of fun planned. Working as many hours as I can to pay for the moving truck, rent, utilities when we arrive, to pay back my borrowed school deposit money... oh it'll be such a great summer!

And I'll be working on the ATSU SHM MHA program.

paintingcolorbl said:
So... I hope nobody minds me straying from the "Portal is messed up" and "housing is worse" topics....

Also -- PM or e-mail me if you'll be in the Chicago-area over the summer.
This summer? Working,working and working -and CHILLING (of course!)

Has anyone else seen the post in the pre-osteo threads announcing that ATSU is opening up another DO school in AZ? True story? Just curious...

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
Has anyone else seen the post in the pre-osteo threads announcing that ATSU is opening up another DO school in AZ? True story? Just curious...

i live a stones throw away from that school. i have inquired and not heard that. if they do, it won't be before we graduate. i think i even asked my interviewer at KCOM.

i am going to ATSU-AZ open house on this saturday, i will ask when i am there. i figured since i live so close and i am going to KCOM, i might as well see what their PA program is like!!

(i could be wrong about the above info)