****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I spent all day yesterday (5/10/05) in Kirksville looking for places to stay. It was a beautiful day and we got to know the layout of the city pretty well. I’ve never lived in a small town before but one of the big clues was that (“You might live in a small town if…”) distances are measured in minutes, not miles :)

After looking at a lot of places (15 in ten hours, oy vey!) we chose The Woodwinds condos. I’ve heard that quite a few KCOM students live there. What have you heard about the Woodwinds? I think we got a good deal: $400/month and our only bills are electric and water. Plus there’s a pool, tennis courts, storage, covered parking and plenty of public places. The only negative is that it is not walking distance to KCOM. It’s about three miles away (five minutes) so I can ride my bike. We are moving in around August 11th. Are any of you living there? I am having a party sometime before school starts so we can get to know each other. Would you come? Maybe we can have a Woodwinds study group?

See ya!

Alex

Members don't see this ad.

PsychDoc76 said:
I am having a party sometime before school starts so we can get to know each other. Would you come? Maybe we can have a Woodwinds study group?

See ya!

Alex
alex...do you have to be in woodwinds to attend your party? :D let's say i wasn't a part of the "in crowd"....can i still come ;)

i should be there around that same time in august

The Woodwinds are nice. You will enjoy your stay there. We live just up the road (closer to school and Wal-Mart--everything is measured in distances from walmart--hahahaha) and I enjoy the distance from the school, yet proximity.

The two things that I wish I had done differently are 1. arrived on Aug. 1st (I was still walking around boxes at Christmas time because we moved in around Aug. 14th) and 2. I wish that I had gotten into a study group sooner.

I hated study groups in undergrad because they were never productive, but I find them to be essential here. My grades skyrocketed after joining my group.

Speaking of grades, we just had the dreaded renal physiology test yesterday and the class average was 81%--not too shaby!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody seen the apartments at 802 S. Osteopathy Street? What about Vista Heights? I know Vista Heights is further from campus, but they look relatively decent. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

I can vouch for the apts. at both 802 S. Ost. and Vista Heights. I have friends who rent from Vista Heights, and I have heard the landlord is very nice.

Thanks! How important is it to live close to campus? Vista heights is a bit further than the apts on S. osteopathy, but not too terribly far. That's my only concern with them.

In terms of distance, remember, we're talking about Kirksville :) . While Vista would take you about 25 minutes walking (down a pleasant, relatively quiet road of course), it's still close enough to hop out of bed and race over five minutes before class. The apartments on Osteopathy are a lot closer -- but I don't know as much about them. Vista Heights is only (at best estimate) a mile away from campus. I know a lot of Truman students live there, but I know KCOM people do too.

Also, in my experience at KCOM (driving over as an envious undergrad), parking has never been an issue. I'm not sure how this will change once they start construction on the new building...but you're always welcome to park at my place if things get tight :~). Hope this helps. I'm glad to answer anything else I can.

- Jonathan :thumbup:

Parking will not be a problem. They have already rearranged the faculty spots so that the construction can begin. There was a week or two when the spots where the construction would take place were completely empty. The students just park there now. No worries about space, really.

You can live practically anywhere in Kirksville and not be too far away and people do.

Last question: how important is covered parking?

JohnDO said:
Last question: how important is covered parking?

Hmm...we do get hail on the rare occasion. Mostly it's rain and snow, though. It's really up to you.

Speaking of the snow, bring a good ice scraper and snow brush.

Runtita said:
Hmm...we do get hail on the rare occasion. Mostly it's rain and snow, though. It's really up to you.

Speaking of the snow, bring a good ice scraper and snow brush.
Thanks Runtita. I've never had to deal with snow :)

Hey everybody,

Greetings future classmates and friends. I'm looking forward to meet you all. Wishing you guys the best of luck!!!

Hanh

Coming from Chicago, Kirksville winters are VERY mild.

I'm off to play in Europe for two weeks, but I'll check in with you guys when I get back :~). Enjoy the rest of May!

- Jonathan

Members don't see this ad :)
I say get covered parking at all costs! The ice storms here are something else, and practically everyday you will have to scrape your car. What if you sleep through your alarm and wake up right before class? What if you have a test that morning and you are going to school at 2 in the morning? You do NOT want to have to scrape a windshield.

I would do anything for covered parking.

Zamby said:
Hello All,

I'm you're lates member to the KCOM'09 thread.

Anybody in the KCOM class a bears fan?

Later folks.

Zamby,
Did you go to school in chitown? i graduated from UIC in may 04 and have been working in a hospital in skokie since then. sorry, not a bears fan, prefer baseball. where are you going to be living in kville? hit me back.

dave

After I got turned down for student housing, I was lucky enough to find a room with 2nd yr at the Scott Street Apartments. I will probably be moving out the weekend before orientation. Let me know if somebody is hosting a party- I'd like to come!

Greetings, future KCOMers! I'm 5 days away from being a fourth year. ANYWAY, without being too blah, blah, blah, I just have a notice to post....

Room for Rent for female KCOM student
House ~5 minutes from KCOM. Nice neighborhood with walking trail around pond. Nice ranch-style house...fully furnished...laundry room, 1 1/2 bath...

(My husband is moving to CA to attend school, so I'm looking for a roomie.)

Must not be afraid of cute puppies (85 pound labrador retreiver named Cleatus; 1 year old beagle named Rosco). They are indoor/outdoor...

Guest room (or your room) fully furnished...except TV :( Lots of room to study in the house.

$350/month--all bills paid... This is a beautiful house. Hardwood floors, nice-sized windows. I'll even let you park in the garage:)

Thanks and congrats to you first years!!!
drc chitwood <><

Has anyone looked into or considered the in-school loan consolidation for their current undergrad loans prior to starting med school? Anyone currently in med school thinking about consolidation prior to graduation? I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the more technical terms of this, as interest rates are supposed to take off in July... :eek:

You can't consolidate your med loans while you are in med school. However, you CAN consolidate your undergrad loans once you have graduated. That would be a smart move (assuming you have many). Face the facts, the party is going to be over by the time we get to dance.

1viking said:
the party is going to be over by the time we get to dance.
what if you're a Wallflower?

mx_599 said:
what if you're a Wallflower?

C'mon mx! Judging by your avatar, I'd say you're no wallflower! ;) (You know I'm kiddin...)

I'm looking at the budget they gave us and there is virtually no way for me to predict how much I'm going to need (i.e. what if I don't buy all the books, or I don't need as much for groceries). Can I adjust my loans if I decide I don't need as much money when I get into the semester? How does that work?

You bet you can. What you do is talk with Steve. He will adjust your amount "awarded" so that you receive less money. If you decide you need that extra money, just go talk with him.

Bump............Hope everyone's summer is going well. Little over 2 months left.

Does any future or current KCOMer's know if the APO microscope rental is worth the $300. I know it is cheaper than buying one, but are there better deals to be had? Thanks.

From the students I've talked to, the APO rental is the way to go.
---------> BUT
I looked around on Ebay, and there are some GREAT scopes for $250-$300, which easily match the requirements.

Just something to check out.

Hey KCOM'ers!

I just wanted to let you know that I will not be joining you all this fall. I have been called off the waitlist for TCOM and well, since it is instate and closer to family, I am accepting.

I very sad that I am not going to meet you all in person and join you in classes. From the introductions thread in the MY ATSU forum, you all sound like great people. Good luck and if you ever want to compare notes or just come to visit the Dallas/Fort Worth area, please let me know.

Sincerely and best of luck,

Amber Thomas

Assistant said:
Hey KCOM'ers!

I just wanted to let you know that I will not be joining you all this fall. I have been called off the waitlist for TCOM and well, since it is instate and closer to family, I am accepting.

I very sad that I am not going to meet you all in person and join you in classes. From the introductions thread in the MY ATSU forum, you all sound like great people. Good luck and if you ever want to compare notes or just come to visit the Dallas/Fort Worth area, please let me know.

Sincerely and best of luck,

Amber Thomas

Hey Amber. Congratulations! We will miss you. Good luck and best wishes always!

Medicfletch said:
Does any future or current KCOMer's know if the APO microscope rental is worth the $300. I know it is cheaper than buying one, but are there better deals to be had? Thanks.

Just graduated from KCOM...
The microscope rental is a joke, but...it's really the easiest way to go. They keep the scopes locked up inside little lockers beneath the desks and you have a key and just pull it out when you are in lab. I think you share with one other person (who has also paid the deposit). I think it was only 2/scope...but I could be wrong. Now, 4 years ago, lab was VERY laid back and not official at all. You didn't have to stay at your own station and could easily go to someone elses table if that's where your friends were. That being said - I wish I would have just gone halves with someone else on the scope. You could share the key - especially if you go to lab at the same times. For lab, I think you just have to sign in...and you don't even have to be there the entire time. If it starts at 3 and goes till 5...you can go in at 4 and get your stuff done. So, it would be VERY easy to split the cost of the scope with someone if you can hook up with them now and make arrangements.

Histo is a whole lot different since Dr. Mock retired (Dr. He Rhodes is now teaching it). It is not so laid back. You don't "have" to be there (no attendance) but it is absolutely necessary. Also, you can't buddy up, or you won't have a scope for the lab final.

Hey Amber,

I'm from FW, TX. Check out the ATSU forum and look for Hanh. I'm glad you'll be joining us.

Hanh

1viking said:
Histo is a whole lot different since Dr. Mock retired (Dr. He Rhodes is now teaching it). It is not so laid back. You don't "have" to be there (no attendance) but it is absolutely necessary. Also, you can't buddy up, or you won't have a scope for the lab final.

ohhh - thanks..I'd forgotten all about Dr. Mock's retirement...
Yeah, 2009ers...forget what I said earlier. With He Rhodes, I'm sure things are certainly different!

double elle said:
ohhh - thanks..I'd forgotten all about Dr. Mock's retirement...
Yeah, 2009ers...forget what I said earlier. With He Rhodes, I'm sure things are certainly different!

Am I picking up a vibe here? ;) Good different, or bad different? ( :thumbup: / :thumbdown: ?)

Bubblefish said:
Hey Amber,

I'm from FW, TX. Check out the ATSU forum and look for Hanh. I'm glad you'll be joining us.

Hanh

Hey Hanh,

I saw your intro in the ATSU forum and was excited that other Texans will be attending there. Unfortunately I will not be at KCOM this fall. Rather, I got the call off the waitlist at TCOM and will be attending there this fall. But I wish you the best, it seems like it is going to be a great year for you guys :D.

Amber

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
Am I picking up a vibe here? ;) Good different, or bad different? ( :thumbup: / :thumbdown: ?)

Let's just say that 13% was added to everybody's final grade in Histo II (and that was after a possible 10% extra credit already given) so that everybody would pass because so many were failing. Be prepared for a tough class.

1viking said:
Let's just say that 13% was added to everybody's final grade in Histo II (and that was after a possible 10% extra credit already given) so that everybody would pass because so many were failing. Be prepared for a tough class.

:eek: And it will be the same prof this upcoming year?

Dr. Rhodes is a great teacher, however he expects a lot (Harvard GRad). I think his first year teaching Histology was an eye opener for him as well. I expect it will be better for your class (2009).
As much as it would have discouraged me to fail all of my histology tests, I actually envy c-o-2008's histology course, I don't feel like I learned the histology very well being c-o- 2007; not that it is incredibly useful for most of medicine, but I am somewhat interested in Path (where histology is incredibly relevant).
Congrats on your acceptance Class of 2009. :thumbup: KCOM is a great school. You will be happy with your education as well as the social experience. KCOM does a great job promoting a balanced life.

Derek E. MS II

DRek said:
Dr. Rhodes is a great teacher, however he expects a lot (Harvard GRad). I think his first year teaching Histology was an eye opener for him as well. I expect it will be better for your class (2009).
As much as it would have discouraged me to fail all of my histology tests, I actually envy c-o-2008's histology course, I don't feel like I learned the histology very well being c-o- 2007; not that it is incredibly useful for most of medicine, but I am somewhat interested in Path (where histology is incredibly relevant).
Congrats on your acceptance Class of 2009. :thumbup: KCOM is a great school. You will be happy with your education as well as the social experience. KCOM does a great job promoting a balanced life.

Derek E. MS II

I don't think 2009 will have it any different. Did Rhodes ask easy questions in anatomy, or did he just go crazy over the fascial layers of the pelvic diaphragm? He won't change.

It is all about trade-offs. Sure, it is nice to learn histo better, BUT, it comes at the expense of "more important" classes. Case in point, Cenedella's lipid test was the monday after our histo final and our class had like a 65% average or something. I still don't exactly remember what Omega 3 is important for and I vaguely remember that docosahexanoic acid is from plants and arachadonic acid is from fish, but what are they used for (well, ARA is big important for the pregnenalone family--but that knowledge is from Samadi and geisbuhler)? I take anatomy over histo any day.

Hey Guys,

This is very short notice but if anyone is looking for a washer and dryer, I have both for sale. In fact, they are in Kirksville at this moment. However, I will only be in Kirksville on Wednesday, July 6th, to pull them out of storage. After that, they will be on there way to Texas. The washer is in good shape and runs well, never had a problem with it in the three years that I have used it. It is $75 or best offer. The dryer is a refurbished unit that I have only used for a year and it is in great shape and everything works great on it. I believe it is electric and I am wanting $125 for it.

So, if any of you are interested, please email me at [email protected]. Please refer to the washer and dryer in the subject line.

Thanks!

Amber

Hey guys- I was "accepted" to KCOM back in April on the condition that a seat opened up which they went on to say, was expected. Anyways, they also said that if I was not accepted into this class I would be garaunteed a seat in next year's class. I have not gotten a final reply so I am exptecting to not get into this semester's class. Am I probably right, wrong??

Also, my computer crashed and Im throwing it into the dumpster tonight. I would like to get a new desktop but I dont know if it would be a good idea to have a laptop for my time at KCOM. Any suggestions?? Personal experiences? Thanks for all of your help!

email welcome at [email protected]

irishbf2005 said:
Hey guys- I was "accepted" to KCOM back in April on the condition that a seat opened up which they went on to say, was expected. Anyways, they also said that if I was not accepted into this class I would be garaunteed a seat in next year's class. I have not gotten a final reply so I am exptecting to not get into this semester's class. Am I probably right, wrong??

Also, my computer crashed and Im throwing it into the dumpster tonight. I would like to get a new desktop but I dont know if it would be a good idea to have a laptop for my time at KCOM. Any suggestions?? Personal experiences? Thanks for all of your help!

email welcome at [email protected]
I find it hard to believe that one spot wouldn't open up...unless there are some people ahead of you? Are you prepared to go last minute? :)

mx_599 said:
I find it hard to believe that one spot wouldn't open up...unless there are some people ahead of you? Are you prepared to go last minute? :)

Hmm, yeah a spot opened up about a month ago.

irishbf2005, maybe there is a short list ahead of you...but hopefully you will get in this year. Just get all your stuff in order like immunizations and health insurance. Also be prepared to move into a place last minute. Things like this happen often, so hang in there and don't rule it out yet. Classes do not start till the last week of August, so there is a chance you will get in.

Good Luck!!

Assistant said:
Hmm, yeah a spot opened up about a month ago.

irishbf2005, maybe there is a short list ahead of you...but hopefully you will get in this year. Just get all your stuff in order like immunizations and health insurance. Also be prepared to move into a place last minute. Things like this happen often, so hang in there and don't rule it out yet. Classes do not start till the last week of August, so there is a chance you will get in.

Good Luck!!
:eek: Traitor! Get off our thread!! :smuggrin:

:D Just kidding....I couldn't help it

mx_599 said:
:eek: Traitor! Get off our thread!! :smuggrin:

:D Just kidding....I couldn't help it

No and you can't make me :p

:D

Hey, have you moved to K'ville yet? I was just there retrieving my stuff and it was pretty warm and humid but the scenery was very nice.

Assistant said:
No and you can't make me :p

:D

Hey, have you moved to K'ville yet? I was just there retrieving my stuff and it was pretty warm and humid but the scenery was very nice.
:) I won't be going there until about the 15th of Aug. How did you have stuff there already!?

So...it was good jogging weather? :rolleyes:

Hello all. I was curious if any of you who are still reading this forum have any suggestions for child care. I have looked around a bit here in town and have had no luck in finding daycare for my seven month old son. My email is [email protected] and I have heard that there are a fair number of spouses who stay at home and provide daycare. Any information would be great. Thanks everyone.

Hey Craig,
I offered an idea on the ATSU forum post :~).

I look forward to seeing you soon!

Jonathan