****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
paintingcolorbl said:
Hey JohnDO, you bet there IS a Karate place in Kirksville! (Sorry if you've already gotten a message). At least...I'm pretty sure it's Karate. It might be Tae Kwon Do...which probably wouldn't help. Let me know if you're interested, and I'd be happy to get you more info.

~ Jonathan
Hey! Thanks for the response. I think it is Tae Kwon Do (based on another poster's observation). However, I think Truman State University has a karate lessons. I searched through their site and it seems they do, or at least did at one time. I don't know if they'd let me get involved, I'll have to check into it. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

JohnDO said:
Hey! Thanks for the response. I think it is Tae Kwon Do (based on another poster's observation). However, I think Truman State University has a karate lessons. I searched through their site and it seems they do, or at least did at one time. I don't know if they'd let me get involved, I'll have to check into it. Thanks again!

Hey John DO -
Truman DOES have some programs, and it's easy and inexpensive to get involved. You can see schedules at Truman's Rec Center -- but keep in mind these change every semester. It should also have prices for guest membership - maybe you can call and see if they have a KCOM discount? I also know they offer classes at the KCOM Thompson Campus Center...but again, it varies by year and who's teaching them. This would be an avenue if you wanted to teach Karate to others as well. No need to respond - just wanted to give you the info :)

Okay all you future classmates of mine, I have a long post so please bare with me. Today I took the lovely 2 and a half hour jouney to Kirksville to visit the town and look for housing. I was all excited to go there because I remember how happy a place it was when I went there for my interview and I was so excited to look at housing and see potential places of where I would live. I had only been there once before and that was for my interview and I hadn't traveled around the city at all to look at it. Lets just say, I left today wanting to really cry. I still absolutely love the school but finding housing was the most frusturating thing I have done in a while. My first word of advice today. DO NOT GO SIGHT UNSEEN. I am mainly looking at buying a house so I can't give much advise on renting but I do know that a lot of the houses I looked at had previously been rentals so what I am saying can give you renters advice also. I went to realtors today and the one nice thing about the realtors in this town is that you only have to show up at one realtor and they have listings of every realtor in town. If you like something another realtor has, you just tell them and they will go over to that realtor's office, grab the key, and meet you at the house. So first I sat in the realtor's office and looked at houses that were for sale and found ones that looked cute and then went to look at them. I would get to the houses and be so excited, until I walked in. So that is what I am saying by don't go site unseen. A lot of them are fixed up on the outside but once you get in them, they are a different story. For instance, I walked into one and it smelled like a cat had been let loose in that house for a year without a litterbox and there was mold growing up the wall. Another one was so clean on the inside but the more I stood there, the more I realized I was standing sideways. So I asked to look in the basement and of course, the foundation was so caved in, I didn't even feel comfortable standing in the basement any longer because I thought the house was going to collapse on top of me. And another one, the door to the bathroom was only about 5 foot 10 inches tall and then you look above the door and you see up and too the roof, where did the insulation go? So please do not go site unseen. Also, if you go look at the town right now, you will think it is the biggest dump you have ever seen and nobody collects the trash in this town. But then I found out that you are allowed to only have a 35 gallon tub of trash eash week except for this week because this week is called spring cleaning and you can put what ever you want onto the side of the street and they will come pick it up with no additional charge. So all the trash should be cleaned up come Monday, then the town would look better. The more I drove around, I found cute houses here and there, so I would call and ask about them and of course, every house I fell in love with was in the process of being sold. So my second word of advice. GO NOW. Go as fast as you can and get housing now. They are going faster then I thought. I am assuming rentals are going like hot cakes too. Finally, don't wait around for the school to send you the housing listings. I went to the school to look at these listings and they didn't help. All of these places are mostly available through the realtors and can be found on the internet like the last guy stated. The realtors are Centry 21, Four Horizons, Show-Me Realty, and Heritage Housing. I think there is also Gooch rentals but that is for only renting. Also, if you have a car, I would open the possibilty of living farther from campus then you are thinking right now. Since there is free parking on campus, why not live farther away. If you want nicer places, apartments or housing, you are going to have to venture farther away. Alot of the places close to school are older and not as nice. So all in all, I went to Kirksville hoping to have a lot of places in mind that I could sit and dwell on, and I came away wanting to cry because I have basically nothing. If you have any other questions on housing, please feel free to ask, I can maybe help you out. Hope I did not sadden you all like I am now. I really want to go to school there but why can't I just have a lot of money where I can just build me a nice little house that I will be happy with.

Lindsay

Members don't see this ad :)
Lindsay (and everyone else concerned about housing),

As a student who has lived in Kirksville through all of undergrad, I PROMISE that housing here isn't as scary or as awful as it looks. Keep in mind, Adair County is one of the poorest spots in Missouri (applying to a lot of the rural areas surrounding town). This means a) some of the stuff is kind of shady and b) you can find real estate from $20,000 or less. NOW, as you may guess, a lot of the really cheap places are *really* old. Saying they're a "fixer-upper" is a tremendous understatement. The flip side of the coin: you can buy a GREAT 2-year-old condo for $90,000. Rentals are very competitive, and you'll find things from $175-375/person. The full range extends here too -- you'll find old houses that you can share and rent out for next to nothing, and you'll also find really nice, new apartments that cost a bit more, but are still really cheap. I currently live in a brand new duplex, and my roommate and I each pay $250/month. Next year, I'm living practically right next to the hospital in a two-story condo with garage, washing machine, dishwasher, etc for $255/person.

I grew up in Chicago and lived in Boston, so I know people who are paying $10,000/year to live in a place way more shady than anything you'll find in Kirksville. YES, look before you sign. But don't let first impressions scare you off. They correspond to the community...and it is a culture shock for most, I'm sure it is one you'll grow to like.

Also, if you're in town, give me a buzz. I'd be happy to show you some of the better and lesser-known rental options.

~ Jonathan ;)

There are nice places here. There are some dumps, too. Kirksville is nothing different than any other town in the world. The closer you get to the center of the city, the more expensive the land. We live by walmart and have a 2 year old place that is just the best. We got it on the internet. We pay more than most, but we think it is worth it. We just had a bunch of med students over for a dinner and they were talking about how they wished they had shelled out the extra 200 a month so that they could live in a place like ours (my wife has a huge scrapbooking room). It is tough to spend the money, but, well worth it. I have some horror stories from my fellow classmates that are just unreal (a broken pipe in the house causes land lord to shut off water. He runs a hose from the next door neighbor to the bathroom so they could flush their toilet.) The saying, "you get what you pay for" is just as accurate here as it is anywhere. Make a friend in Kirskville to check stuff out for you, or come to see it.

thanks for the insight. I promise to keep my head up and keep looking. I know there is something out there for me.

Lindsay

Not to beat this topic to death, but has anyone actually found housing for next year? I am curious when people were planning on actually signing a lease, or if anyone knows when most apartments/houses are available for rent. In essence, is it too early to start looking for the fall, or will there be more available in about a month or so? I will feel better when I've secured my own little corner of Kirksville...

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
Not to beat this topic to death, but has anyone actually found housing for next year? I am curious when people were planning on actually signing a lease, or if anyone knows when most apartments/houses are available for rent. In essence, is it too early to start looking for the fall, or will there be more available in about a month or so? I will feel better when I've secured my own little corner of Kirksville...

Yes. My wife made all the arrangements. Haven't seen it yet though. But we figure there is currently a KCOM student's family of four (like mine) living there and they like it. We're supposed to get pictures this week. The lease already arrived in the mail so we're pretty much done.

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:

no...i don't get the impression its too early at all. i secured my place i think over the weekend. i would start looking into it.

look in the classifieds of the online kirksville paper or rentkirksville.com

if you wait too long...prime housing might be gone. however, i really don't know what i am talking about. it was just the feeling i got.

good luck... (hey you can room at my place for a good price if you vacuum and dust for me :p )

briansmichaud said:
good luck... (hey you can room at my place for a good price if you vacuum and dust for me :p )

Hahahahahahha! Don't say it unless you mean it! :laugh: Maybe I can brisk around in one of those... what was it... French something... carrying a feather duster and a little tray of scones... (To reference another thread...)

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Didn't you say earlier that you had a couple cats? Are you keeping them when you move? Hidden question: Were you able to find a place that lets you have multiple pets? I have three cats that I have "acquired" in the last few years, and they definitely are making the move to the big K.

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
Hahahahahahha! Don't say it unless you mean it! :laugh: Maybe I can brisk around in one of those... what was it... French something... carrying a feather duster and a little tray of scones... (To reference another thread...)

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Didn't you say earlier that you had a couple cats? Are you keeping them when you move? Hidden question: Were you able to find a place that lets you have multiple pets? I have three cats that I have "acquired" in the last few years, and they definitely are making the move to the big K.

oh my god...you sound like me. i take these freakin' cats as favors for people, then when i am ready to get on with my life no one can take them for me!!! :rolleyes:

but i could never ditch 'em at a shelter. maybe i could accidently drown them at the lake in thousand hills state park :smuggrin:
just kidding :laugh: maybe....

it shouldn't be too hard to find places for pets...but i wouldn't wait either. a lot of them said "none preferred" okay...whatever that means. just say they're all declawed even if they are not. it might help.

you know...when i get home later i think i am going to post an ad here for a roommate. tentatively thinking $150 plus 1/2 utilities. it could be soooo economical to split a place. think of the spare cash you could save or that you don't borrow to begin with.

hey...if we combine our belongings we could have five ******* running amuck! :laugh:

Lindsay,
I don't know what your price range is or what you're looking for, but I have a 2 bedroom townhouse condo for sale. I lived there while I was a student in Kirksville and loved it. I am now renting it to another KCOM student who will be leaving this summer. If you go to http://www.kirksvillerealestate.com/ and search MLS #7019, you can get the details. Let me know you have any questions. Good luck!

Shelley

Thanks for considering me but I actually did just buy a place the other day. I wasn't ready to buy it now but the owner wanted to get rid of it so he gave me a really good deal on it and I couldn't pass it up. It is a mobile home in Cresthaven on the south side of Kirksville. Upon visiting Kirksville, Cresthaven was the only MHP that I would dare step foot in, the other parks were just trash, won't say what I thought of the people living in them. Lets just say, I don't think you are suppose to see the insulation on the outside of your house or I don't think that particle board was meant to be used as a door. However, Cresthaven only had 1 place vacant because the other one I called on was sold an hour after I called on it. I didn't think I was going to take this place because I haven't sold my place yet and so I wasn't ready to buy the other place yet and I knew if I didn't jump on it, it was probably going to be gone like the last place. Well, I wheeled dealed the guy and got him to accept a down payment now and the balance would come when I sold my place. So my place is 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1280 square feet with a place for a garden and a shed. It is a 2001 home with close to new appliances so it is the perfect place for me. It is kind of in the country and secluded with area for my kitties to run and play with out the fear of them getting hit on the road. It was the cheapest way for me to live by myself where I could keep my kitties and have plenty of room for them. They are spoiled and I can't stand keeping them in a place with only like 600-800 square feet. they need a place where they can go outside and explore. So I am busy now trying to sell my place in Iowa City. So if any of you know someone who is moving to Iowa City, tell them to check out my place at http://LJG.home.mchsi.com It is a great place for a cheap price. Hope you all have good luck in finding a place to live. The places that allow pets are usually more run down and some will charge you $50 extra per month in rent plus a larger deposit. My cats are great but not worth and extra $50 dollars per month to me. I am happy with the place I got and it will allow me to live cheap and save money for the next two years. Still my advice, don't be scared to venture away from campus, you will find better quality housing away from campus.

Lindsay

Members don't see this ad :)
Peace&Health said:
I talked to a 4th year who's in California, and she said she was able to get an off-campus apartment that was just across the street from the school, which was much closer than on-campus housing.

i can guarantee you that there are NO apartments in this town that are closer to campus that the on-campus apartments... honestly i'm not 20 yards from campus. not that any are terribly far away. this town is small enough to get from one side to the other in 10 minutes. live where you want to... it doesn't have to be close.

kcom does not offer 4th year rotations in california... the student is probably doing an elective out there where she is interested in a residency program. you can schedule electives wherever you choose.

john

briansmichaud said:
you know...when i get home later i think i am going to post an ad here for a roommate. tentatively thinking $150 plus 1/2 utilities. it could be soooo economical to split a place. think of the spare cash you could save or that you don't borrow to begin with.

hey...if we combine our belongings we could have five ******* running amuck! :laugh:

Yup. It all started with one cat... Are you halfway joking or is that an offer?
;)

Be careful buying.

There are possible economic and other advantages to buying but Kirksville is an economically depressed area. I have heard directly from students who bought and then were unable to sell when they were ready for clinicals or residency. They were then stuck arranging rentals and upkeep while trying to finish their education.

If you are going to buy you might want to make sure you won't mind not being able to sell.

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
Yup. It all started with one cat... Are you halfway joking or is that an offer?
;)

i am actually serious...did you see my post in the osteopathic section? (KCOM roommate) 2 students can save a lot over a year or 2 for that matter.

briansmichaud said:
i am actually serious...did you see my post in the osteopathic section? (KCOM roommate) 2 students can save a lot over a year or 2 for that matter.

I sent you a private e-mail in response to your ad... Don't know if we can work anything out, but I'd be open to the idea. Keep in touch!

smc927 said:
Be careful buying.

There are possible economic and other advantages to buying but Kirksville is an economically depressed area. I have heard directly from students who bought and then were unable to sell when they were ready for clinicals or residency. They were then stuck arranging rentals and upkeep while trying to finish their education.

If you are going to buy you might want to make sure you won't mind not being able to sell.

i would agree with this. also, when you get to your third and fourth year rotations, the school does NOT take into account ownership of a home here... if you don't match here, too bad!!

Hi all,

I've ony posted a few times, but have been out of touch... But I'm back! For many reasons (including simplicity and assurance) I applied to on-campus housing and am really banking on that panning out. I read everyone's posts regarding disappointing visits, scary rentals and difficulties in searching - those were all of the things that worried me as well in the great housing search, so I guess I just quit. If I'm not granted on-campus housing, I might be in a pretty tough spot... Do you all think I'm safe in relying on KCOM housing coming through for me?

Thanks for the advice :)

mhebacher said:
If I'm not granted on-campus housing, I might be in a pretty tough spot... Do you all think I'm safe in relying on KCOM housing coming through for me?

I would have done it - but I have a family to take care of. Maybe you should call and tell them exactly what you posted here and ask what you should expect your chances to be.

mhebacher said:
Hi all,

I've ony posted a few times, but have been out of touch... But I'm back! For many reasons (including simplicity and assurance) I applied to on-campus housing and am really banking on that panning out. I read everyone's posts regarding disappointing visits, scary rentals and difficulties in searching - those were all of the things that worried me as well in the great housing search, so I guess I just quit. If I'm not granted on-campus housing, I might be in a pretty tough spot... Do you all think I'm safe in relying on KCOM housing coming through for me?

i was going to apply as well...but had a cat issue. between people having families, pets, etc...there might not be as many as you think who actually try to get the campus housing.

i am talking with one individual about being a roommate. i am sure there will be others like me. so in the end i am sure you will find somewhere to stay...i wouldn't stress over it too much.

i think i read somewhere that kcom will set up a forum or something soon so people can seek roommates etc.

Well I just got back from Kirksville and was met with sleet and snow so that was fun. My wife and I found a great place to stay but would advise those with pets to start looking now. We went through Heritage House and they were great but they only had three places to show us that allowed pets (and now they have 2). The other relators we called and asked about pets the only places they had available was Woodwind condos which I guess they said are filling up fast. So my advise find something now before the rush. I asked if more places were going to be available when the school puts out its list and was told that what they have now on their websites is what will be on the schools list. As for buying a house, my wife and I opted not to due to those same exact concerns as the others have pointed out.

As for apartments closer to KCOM, I looked but didn't see any closer than the campus housing. There are some various other apartment house type things nearby (one was right across from the anatomy building that had a room for rent sign but I apologize in that I forgot to get the name) but most of those are mostly Truman State from what the relator told us.

As for Kirksville, the weather aside it wasn't so bad. Yeah they still had their garbage on the side of the streets but it wasn't to bad. Ate at Il spazio (sp?) which was really a great place and I would recommend it to those visiting.

As for the class of 2009, I was told that this Friday is the last day they are interviewing. They won't know how many seats are left until after the next deposit is due in.

hey all..this is my 2nd posting and it's nice to know everyone is having the same questions as i am.
well, it's official... my fiance' mary and i will be coming to kcom this fall. i proposed over new years' eve and the wedding is planned for mid-july. post-honeymoon we plan to make the trek from philly to k'ville...maybe get there around aug. 15th to move in. when is everyone else thinking of moving in?
im guessing we're one of the few husband-wife couples at kcom, but we're both looking forward to all that we have in store.
about us: we're both 22 and went to washington and lee univ. in lexington, va (another small town) and majored in biology. i just graduated last spring and now i work at upenn med school doing research. she is finishing up her senior year at w&l. i grew up in st. pete, fl and she grew up in red bank, nj.
i plan on going over to k'ville the weekend of april 15th and hope to find a nice place to rent...duplex, condo, apt....woodwinds sounds nice. rentkirksville.com looked like a good site. we're both willing to pay the extra penny for something more suitable for us. she (we) has a psycho, cat-like pomeranian so we'll need to find a place that allows that.

im out...later

Hey guys. I haven't been on or posted in a while but I'm glad to see the class growing so much. I just wanted to tell you all that I have a list of housing that is currently occupied by 2nd year students and will be available in the summer. I have family that work at the school and they were able to get me the list. I posted this up earlier but I know there are a lot more people on here now. It was really helpful. I was able to find a very nice house at a very good price. And for those who have had a sub par visit to Kirksville, it’s not bad at all. Anyone who wants this info just message me and I will be happy to send it to you. Trust me it will help! :D

Hey guys,

I know I could probably find this somewhere, but my mom is driving me crazy and I don't have time to look for it. When are we supposed to start filing for loans? My FAFSA is filled out already, I just don't know when I need to get the loans set up.

Thanks,
Jesse

jnpeacoc said:
Hey guys,

I know I could probably find this somewhere, but my mom is driving me crazy and I don't have time to look for it. When are we supposed to start filing for loans? My FAFSA is filled out already, I just don't know when I need to get the loans set up.

Thanks,
Jesse

i think steve and the financial aid dept. put together financial packages for students after they get the fafsa stuff done. or am i delusional??

I think, from what I have been told at least, is that all we have to do is the FAFSA right now and then wait until KCOM puts together our FA packages and then they walk us through the loans and stuff.

jnpeacoc said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Jesse

I've had to take loans for everything. Don't worry, you should be hearing from the financial aid office some time before summer. If you haven't heard anything in May, you may just want to call and ask if there is anything you need to do. Sometimes you just need to activate your loans or sign some promissory notes and stuff.

sibleyp said:
hey all..this is my 2nd posting and it's nice to know everyone is having the same questions as i am.
well, it's official... my fiance' mary and i will be coming to kcom this fall. i proposed over new years' eve and the wedding is planned for mid-july. post-honeymoon we plan to make the trek from philly to k'ville...maybe get there around aug. 15th to move in.

You're one of the lucky few who gets to go to med school with their spouse (or significant other)!

Medicfletch said:
I think, from what I have been told at least, is that all we have to do is the FAFSA right now and then wait until KCOM puts together our FA packages and then they walk us through the loans and stuff.

exactly...i think whatever is not received from the stafford stuff out of the approx. 55g's is made up from a private lender that is set up by steve as well

docslytherin said:
i can guarantee you that there are NO apartments in this town that are closer to campus that the on-campus apartments... honestly i'm not 20 yards from campus. not that any are terribly far away. this town is small enough to get from one side to the other in 10 minutes. live where you want to... it doesn't have to be close.

kcom does not offer 4th year rotations in california... the student is probably doing an elective out there where she is interested in a residency program. you can schedule electives wherever you choose.

john

Yes, she is doing her electives in Cali. She somehow managed to be here for 2/3 of the year. Good news for me, who wants to come back to Cali.

John, one quick question: how many students in your class had on campus housing? Just trying to get a sense of my chances...being from a sunny state, I don't know much about living with cold weather and would rather stay close by.

Yeah what the previous posters have said is true. When I was down in Kirksville last week, my mom and I stopped by the financial aid office to ask some questions because I have never had student loans before so I don't know how they work. She told me as long as my FASFA is in, I just have to wait till their packet comes in the mail. She told me that when the packet comes, it will tell me how much I am able to receive and then all I do is fill in the amount that I want to borrow, what lender I want to use, and then sign it and send it back in. Then at orientation, they will hand out a check to you that has the balance of what was left of your loan after they took out their costs. They hand you a check the first time to make sure that you are actually still going to attend school and then later you can have it set up so that the check gets automatically deposited in your account. Which brings me to another question. What banks would people recommend going to. Which ones are close. I have commercial federal right now but if they don't have one, I will have to switch. Any recommendations? So basically all you can do as of now for financial aid is wait for the packet and run a cost estimate to determine how much you will need for a loan.

Lindsay

Perhaps some of you have had to make this same decision. I am sure both KCOM and DMU are great schools...but why one and not the other?...besides geograpy, are there major differences? Maybe if you have feedback as far as reputation...residency placement...as in do the grads get their top choices? I almost wish I would have been accepted to one and not the other so that this wouldn't even be an issue! I DEARLY HOPE SOMEONE HAS SOME ADVICE FOR ME! I'M DESPERATE! Thanks in advance.

So much to respond to...

1. Junk on the road--I don't know what happened, but everybody in the ville put their junk on the road last Saturday. I mean, it was a concerted effort. The rumor is that you can pick up whatever you see. I don't know if the city does some spring cleaning collection, or something. Anyway, tough about the weather--we are all pretty bummed about it too.

2. Married students--There is one couple in our class that came engaged. I don't know them all that well, but I do know that it would be nice to study with my wife.

3. Financial aid--There is a sheet that you fill out (I can't remember), but then you log onto the website to declare how much you want to take out. Since you don't have your logins yet, it won't matter.

4. Financial aid (private loans)--With the public loans, if you declare that you want the full amount, you will get the nice check in the your mail box (school mail box). All you do is say that you want to use KCOM as your lender (wise choice--no origination fees). For private loans, you have to fill out an application with an organization (there are many to choose from ) and submit it. If you have bad credit, you can be denied. I recommend that you not take out your private loans. Try to do as much budgeting as you can and be realistic. Don't buy any diagnostic equipment (waste of money) and don't even think about buying all of the required books.

5. Banks--I am with U.S. Bank, since it is a national chain and I can recieve my funds from the school no matter where I am in the country. It will be nice for 3rd and 4th years. There are two branches in the ville.

6. DMU vs. KCOM-- I know nothing about DMU, but I have some suggestions that will help you. Ask the school if they will setup your rotation sites for you during 3rd and 4th. Wouldn't it be horrible to have to stress about that? KCOM is excellent about this. Also, ask how much time you will have OTM per week (important, OTM is big on the boards). Find out about their failure policies. I know this sounds like the last thing that will happen to you, but you will learn those policies very soon whether you are at the top of your class or bottom. Some schools say, "tough luck on being a doc, see in my clinic when you are sick." I would stay away from these schools, since there will be a time (there will be a time) that you are not in your comfort zone about your grades for a class. Finally, understand this, medical schools are top notch no matter where you go. You are going to learn the skills that you need to. Don't make your decision based on geography or numbers of bars. You will have less time for recreation each week than you think.

Long winded, I know. You see, the quarter just started and I am still looking for reasons to not study physiology right now. Better get going.

DMU vs. KCOM. Well, I picked KCOM over DMU and I am orginally from Des Moines. Why I chose KCOM over DMU was because of personal interviews I did with residents that work at the hospital that I am currently working at. I found many D.O. residents, asked them what school they went to, and then asked them to name the pros and cons about the school since they had already been there and my decision on the schools came down to 3rd and 4th year. The residents I talked to from DMU said that they liked the school until it came to 3rd and 4th year. At DMU they had to set up their own rotations, nobody set them up for you. They said it was added stress and hard to find places to go. Residents from KCOM had nothing bad to say and they said that their 3rd and 4th year were fine since rotations were set up for them. So that became my deciding factor. I realized that I did not want the added stress my 2nd year of having to call hospitals and set up rotations. I liked the idea of just submitting my top 3 rotations sites and then having everything set up for me. I guess it is up to the individual person here. If you would like to have the freedom of being able to go anywhere for rotations, and you don't mind setting them up yourself, you may want to pick DMU. You would probably need to find connections to get yourself in places. If you want less stress your 2nd year and the security of knowing you are going somewhere, then KCOM may be your best choice. Other than that, they are pretty equal schools. As for rankings, Kirksville was ranked 19 in Best Graduate Schools for Family Medicine and 20 in Best Graduate Schools for Rural Medicine. In the top 25, DMU was not rated. Read this at http://www.kcom.edu/spotlight/usnews.htm Another things is KCOM is strongly geared towards primary care, but then again, I think all osteopathic schools are. So basically it is all your decision. I wouldn't let geographic or money influence your decision.

As for the trash on the streets, last week when I was down looking for housing I noticed all the trash and asked about it. Supposedly, each week you are only allowed a 33-35 gallon tub of trash, otherwise you get charged extra. Well this week is spring cleaning week and you are allowed to put as much trash on your curb as you want and they will pick it all up at no extra charge so that is the reason for all the trash. They only allow something like this once a year, so it looks like people take advantage of it. It should be gone soon and the town will go back to normal.

Lindsay

1viking said:
So much to respond to...

1. Junk on the road--I don't know what happened, but everybody in the ville put their junk on the road last Saturday. I mean, it was a concerted effort. The rumor is that you can pick up whatever you see. I don't know if the city does some spring cleaning collection, or something. Anyway, tough about the weather--we are all pretty bummed about it too.

2. Married students--There is one couple in our class that came engaged. I don't know them all that well, but I do know that it would be nice to study with my wife.

3. Financial aid--There is a sheet that you fill out (I can't remember), but then you log onto the website to declare how much you want to take out. Since you don't have your logins yet, it won't matter.

4. Financial aid (private loans)--With the public loans, if you declare that you want the full amount, you will get the nice check in the your mail box (school mail box). All you do is say that you want to use KCOM as your lender (wise choice--no origination fees). For private loans, you have to fill out an application with an organization (there are many to choose from ) and submit it. If you have bad credit, you can be denied. I recommend that you not take out your private loans. Try to do as much budgeting as you can and be realistic. Don't buy any diagnostic equipment (waste of money) and don't even think about buying all of the required books.

5. Banks--I am with U.S. Bank, since it is a national chain and I can recieve my funds from the school no matter where I am in the country. It will be nice for 3rd and 4th years. There are two branches in the ville.

6. DMU vs. KCOM-- I know nothing about DMU, but I have some suggestions that will help you. Ask the school if they will setup your rotation sites for you during 3rd and 4th. Wouldn't it be horrible to have to stress about that? KCOM is excellent about this. Also, ask how much time you will have OTM per week (important, OTM is big on the boards). Find out about their failure policies. I know this sounds like the last thing that will happen to you, but you will learn those policies very soon whether you are at the top of your class or bottom. Some schools say, "tough luck on being a doc, see in my clinic when you are sick." I would stay away from these schools, since there will be a time (there will be a time) that you are not in your comfort zone about your grades for a class. Finally, understand this, medical schools are top notch no matter where you go. You are going to learn the skills that you need to. Don't make your decision based on geography or numbers of bars. You will have less time for recreation each week than you think.

Long winded, I know. You see, the quarter just started and I am still looking for reasons to not study physiology right now. Better get going.

Now that you've brought this up, what are KCOM's failure policies?

jnpeacoc said:
Now that you've brought this up, what are KCOM's failure policies?

:eek: double :eek: :eek:

they :laugh: at you say better luck next time :smuggrin:

hehehehhe

I too had to make the dreaded decision between DMU and KCOM. To say I agonized over it would probably have been accurate, lol. I can honestly say that there were several factors that I considered relevant in my decision to attend KCOM, but it also came down to 3rd and 4th year rotations--though maybe not for the same reasons as previously listed. I do know that DMU says that you work with a coordiantor to set up your rotations--and maybe things are running more smoothly now than in the past--but I have read that things there can be a little disorganized. DMU does have more options in IA, if you are wanting to "stay local" for your rotations. I am originally from MO, and it's quite a distance to Des Moines, but definitely doable. That being said, DMU only had one rotation site in MO, whereas KCOM had quite a few. It was extremely difficult to turn down the prospect of the new facilities at DMU...and the laptop...and the PDA... NICE. DMU has Harvey, KCOM has Stan... KCOM definitely has a more traditional feel, as we have ol' A.T.'s cabin in the foyer. I have been in contact w/KCOM for a number of years, and I have been nothing but impressed with all of the faculty and admissions staff that I have met. Plus, I felt like they do a better job of screening their applicants through the interview process. I think KCOM makes an effort to really know what you are about, and I was impressed by that. I did not leave DMU feeling all that confident in the way my interview was conducted or in how they could have perceived me as a person--as most of the questions were pretty generalized. (Honestly, I did not think I would get in .)Overall, while I definitely think DMU has the edge on facilities, I have to appreciate KCOM for their ranking and for the interest they show their students. It is also a lot cheaper to live in Kirksville--if $ is a factor at all. I know students at both locations, and both seem fairly happy with their decisions. The important thing to remember is that this is a good decision to have to make--even if it has to be made in a week! STRESS! Congratulations on your acceptances and good luck with your decision.

Hey all who responded to my post KCOM vs. DMU

You have me convinced me that I should be in Kirksville...however, I did not make my deposit on time :(. I talked to admissions and this class is full, but I wrote a request to defer for the year and then begin at KCOM the fall of 2006. I could also potentially be on the alternate list and find out waaaay late in the game that I'll be joining you this august. Thank you for confirming what I had already considered regarding the 2 schools. Good luck to you all.

Yosueñoque… said:
Hey all who responded to my post KCOM vs. DMU

You have me convinced me that I should be in Kirksville...however, I did not make my deposit on time :(. I talked to admissions and this class is full, but I wrote a request to defer for the year and then begin at KCOM the fall of 2006. I could also potentially be on the alternate list and find out waaaay late in the game that I'll be joining you this august. Thank you for confirming what I had already considered regarding the 2 schools. Good luck to you all.

Well, I didn't reply since others said what I would have said already. But I'm glad you'll be joining us, sooner or later. I hope sooner!

Peace&Health said:
Yes, she is doing her electives in Cali. She somehow managed to be here for 2/3 of the year. Good news for me, who wants to come back to Cali.

John, one quick question: how many students in your class had on campus housing? Just trying to get a sense of my chances...being from a sunny state, I don't know much about living with cold weather and would rather stay close by.

i'm not sure how many people in my class are in the student apts. maybe 15?? i really couldn't say...

estella said:
Many students are paying $10.000 a year for houseing in Kirksville and I will pretty much break even (aka $20,000 ahead of my classmates at the end of second year!)

i don't know anyone who's paying this much a month for housing... that would be over $800/month. the most that anyone i know with a house pays is around $450. for the '09-ers, talk to steve jorden in the financial aid office about planning your loans. he's excellent with management.

good luck.

Hi everyone,

I came across this just recently and was very glad to see it. There is a lot of great info on it. I am definitely looking forward to coming this fall. My info:

Residence: St. Louis, MO
Undergrad: Washington Univ. in St. Louis
Majors: Psychology and Biology
Field of Interest: Psychiatry (of course we'll see what happens during rotations). If anyone else is interested in Psych let me know. I am going to get a Psychiatry Interest Group going. I would also like to get us funding to attend the local and national meetings of the American Psychiatric Association. We could also do mental health outreach in various areas: volunteer work, stigma reduction, etc.
Interests: biking (great to see others interested too!), reading, and I guess I'll convince myself that studying is one also.
Other: I'm 28 y/o, getting married this June. My fiance is finishing her PhD this fall at Wash U so hopefully we won't be apart for too long. She is hoping to get a teaching/research position at Truman or KCOM for the two years we are there. If anyone has any info that would be great. It would have to be in Chem or Bio.

I was in the Navy for four years. I did mostly computer and electronic work. I was on the USS Mt. Whitney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mount_Whitney) and worked on the Close-In Weapon System (CIWS/Phalanx, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS).

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Medicfletch said:
Ahhh....we fell to the second page

where is everyone?? shouldn't there be new intros here as final decisions/acceptances are made??

PsychDoc76 said:
Hi everyone,

I came across this just recently and was very glad to see it. There is a lot of great info on it. I am definitely looking forward to coming this fall.
I look forward to meeting everyone!

Just wanted to say we're glad you'll be joining the KCOM family! SEe ya in the fall!

Just wanted to remind everyone to get in the $500 that has to be postmarked by Friday!

jnpeacoc said:
Just wanted to remind everyone to get in the $500 that has to be postmarked by Friday!

what? :eek: i thought it was by april 15 then may 15th?? i better look at my stuff :D

My "Admission Checklist" says the pre-registration fee is due April 15th. What do you mean Friday!!