****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure others of you have received your letters, but I just wanted to let those who haven't know that I received mine in the mail today.

I got what I wanted, the one-bedroom with the study. It's a good feeling to have housing squared away!

Members don't see this ad.

jnpeacoc said:
Wahoo! New student forum is up on the KCOM page!

Really? It still only shows those 2 files. Hmmm. Finally get the password and email fixed and a new problem comes along. Oh well off to email the helpdesk I go. :D

Also I will second using Heritage House. They were fantastic.

Medicfletch said:
Really? It still only shows those 2 files. Hmmm. Finally get the password and email fixed and a new problem comes along. Oh well off to email the helpdesk I go. :D

Also I will second using Heritage House. They were fantastic.
did you see my new post?????

Members don't see this ad :)
mx_599 said:
did you see my new post?????

I don't think so. Where did you post it? In the web portal all I have access to is handhelds in medicine and politics in health care. I try the all forums thing and I get sent back to these two folders. I'm sure when they reset my account something with the forums and my access may have been effected.

What do most KCOM students use for health insurance? I have been looking at some insurance groups websites like BS/BC, Aetna, etc. and none seem to offer coverage in this part of MO. Any suggestions?

Medicfletch said:
What do most KCOM students use for health insurance? I have been looking at some insurance groups websites like BS/BC, Aetna, etc. and none seem to offer coverage in this part of MO. Any suggestions?

That's a good question. Since I have Aetna here at work, its good to know that it does not offer coverage in KV at this time.

Also, to those who are looking for roommates, I am interested in also having a roommate. I have not been back yet to check out apartments and houses but I hope to do that either the first or second weekend of May.

What about Fortis? Does anybody currently have that in KV? How is it?

Thanks,

Amber

I am looking for roomies + a place to stay. I got rejected for the student apartments as I applied too late.
My specs: I am a loud obnoxious jerk who is on anti-depressants--no wait! Thats my neighbor! Haha, kidding! Anyway, anyone who is interested leave a post.

Assistant said:
That's a good question. Since I have Aetna here at work, its good to know that it does not offer coverage in KV at this time.

Also, to those who are looking for roommates, I am interested in also having a roommate. I have not been back yet to check out apartments and houses but I hope to do that either the first or second weekend of May.

What about Fortis? Does anybody currently have that in KV? How is it?

Thanks,

Amber

I am clueless about health insuarance. Any idea on how much the most basic will cost? Thanks

Raggaman said:
I am clueless about health insuarance. Any idea on how much the most basic will cost? Thanks
i am just starting to look into it too, if you chance it and get a very high deductible it looks like it can be fairly cheap. like less than 50 dollars. i don't plan on getting hurt studying in kirksville so i am going to get very very cheap/ high deductible plan. (shoot...i forgot about soccer and mountain biking...blah blah blah, i guess i might have to consider injuries :rolleyes: ) should i have some major catastrophe...whatever, i will deal with it at the time and use financial aid or something. i wanted blue cross but someone said you couldn't get it there??? i have to investigate this more. so basically my post didn't help you out at all!!

hey everyone. i think we should all put a meanie face after the kcom signatures on our posts and see if any sdn'ers ever notice as we post throughout this website. i just like the emoticon and i think it would be funny if others are like, "whats up with those kcom people?" :laugh:

(see mine for an example)

mx_599 said:
i am just starting to look into it too, if you chance it and get a very high deductible it looks like it can be fairly cheap. like less than 50 dollars. i don't plan on getting hurt studying in kirksville so i am going to get very very cheap/ high deductible plan. (shoot...i forgot about soccer and mountain biking...blah blah blah, i guess i might have to consider injuries :rolleyes: ) should i have some major catastrophe...whatever, i will deal with it at the time and use financial aid or something. i wanted blue cross but someone said you couldn't get it there??? i have to investigate this more. so basically my post didn't help you out at all!!

Any answer is a good answer. I plan on getting the cheapest as well. But remember, no one plans on having a catastrophe! 50 bucks is not bad, higher than my car insuarance though! Do you think the school would be able to help?

I have another question for all of you. What cellphone service works in Kirksville? when i was there for my interview, verizon died immediately upon leaving kansas city. I checked and could find only Sprint that may have coverage there. is that true? aaaaarrgghhh!

mx_599 said:
hey everyone. i think we should all put a meanie face after the kcom signatures on our posts and see if any sdn'ers ever notice as we post throughout this website. i just like the emoticon and i think it would be funny if others are like, "whats up with those kcom people?" :laugh:

(see mine for an example)
hey I already got that meanie face!!! Since I am known as "meanie poo poo" by some females, that face goes well with me!! And so does this laugh: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

Raggaman said:
I have another question for all of you. What cellphone service works in Kirksville? when i was there for my interview, verizon died immediately upon leaving kansas city. I checked and could find only Sprint that may have coverage there. is that true? aaaaarrgghhh!

Raggaman,

I currently have Verizon out here, and it works fine with my America's Choice National Plan (no roaming, free domestic long distance, IN minutes), although we're on extended network out here. This means that they borrow Sprint towers that are out here to provide service for us Verizon customers, so IN minutes -- free Verizon mobile to mobile minutes -- are (I think) counted as regular minutes. My roommate also has Verizon and doesn't complain about getting service either. We cut off our landline and rely on our cell phones, since we live in town, rather than in the outskirts of KV. My other roommates use Sprint, and are happy with their plan as well. I would call Verizon first to see how your plan will work out here, just to make sure.

-N

Members don't see this ad :)
Raggaman said:
screw cell phones/services!! :laugh: i tossed my cell phone last april. the first month or two was the hardest...but i survived, i made it through the hard times and look at me now! i am going to medical school :D
seriously...it was a measure of self discipline. plus i wanted to make it hard for people to reach me :smuggrin: yeah...i know i'll need one again, but hopefully not anytime soon. i can honestly say it has been nice!!

Despite a little previous hostility on the cell phones, lol, I understand that Alltel also provides coverage in Kville. When I visited, I had pretty much a full signal. They also provide pretty good coverage in the state of MO if you sign up for their national plan (which is the "middle one" offered). That being said, I have gone major rounds with their billing services from time to time... :mad: For whatever that's worth. :D

Raggaman said:

According to Stacy in Admissions, Sprint is the big carrier out in KV. She said that this is what the school uses and gets thier discounts through. I believe she also said their was Verizon, Alltel and maybe another small carrier. I looked at the ACOMAS web site where it offers cell phone discounts to osteo students and for KV students it offers a discount with Cingular. The catch: if you look at the map, KV is not in cingular coverage area. Huh? Oh well. I currenlty have Nextel and I didn't have any service once I left Iowa.

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
That being said, I have gone major rounds with their billing services from time to time... :mad: For whatever that's worth. :D

Isn't that the way it goes will all cellular carriers? :D

Medicfletch said:
Isn't that the way it goes will all cellular carriers? :D

Don't you know it! And then you call the service center and no one can speak fluent English! Supposedly you can call in and make changes to your rate plan while under contract. So, because the exact same plan was cheaper and my contract was almost up, I gave it a try... And received a bill of $1000+! :eek: They had switched me to the wrong plan. It was a huge hassle and before it was all over, I had been on every plan cept the one I originally ordered and had to fight another HUGE phone bill.

That being said, I could not be happier with my coverage here in the state... with the exception of just a few podunk towns.

And that's why they're still my cell phone providers. Oh yeah, and because I am no longer under contract!!! :D

When I went for my interview I was able to receive and make calls using Cingular. The service wasn't perfect though. There were some areas where I'd lose reception, most of them slightly outside the town.

Also I am looking for roommates and a place to stay. Just send me an email if you are interested.

OK, a facebook group has been started, called KCOM class of 2009. I tried to invite some people, but I can't find everyone, so just go and join yourselves!

-Jesse

Another idea... Does anybody use the instant messanger programs and if so should we start making a list of everyones user names so we can get a meet and greet chat thing going? Just an idea.

Cell phone opinion from a Kirksville undergrad. "native":

Sprint, US Cellular, and Alltell are all that get consistently good coverage out here in the ville. I'd recommend Sprint because odds are it'll work at your home (wherever that is) too.

Medicfletch said:
Another idea... Does anybody use the instant messanger programs and if so should we start making a list of everyones user names so we can get a meet and greet chat thing going? Just an idea.
that would be cool

yahoo= brianscottmichaud
msn= briansmichaud

jnpeacoc said:
OK, a facebook group has been started, called KCOM class of 2009. I tried to invite some people, but I can't find everyone, so just go and join yourselves!

-Jesse
what is facebook? is this like a forum? do you have a link or something?
thanks

I thought Facebook groups only work at the school you go to; i.e. there can be a KCOM group here at Truman State, another for the Facebook for our UIC friends, and so on. If you have new info about a universal option, keep me posted :~)

Anyway:
AIM: lacrossegoalie48
e-mail: jterry AT truman DOT edu

Hope everyone has a smashing weekend. ;)

paintingcolorbl said:
I thought Facebook groups only work at the school you go to; i.e. there can be a KCOM group here at Truman State, another for the Facebook for our UIC friends, and so on. If you have new info about a universal option, keep me posted :~)

Anyway:
AIM: lacrossegoalie48
e-mail: jterry AT truman DOT edu

Hope everyone has a smashing weekend. ;)

Crap, you're right about facebook. Oh well, good try I guess :oops:

AIM chat sounds great, here's my info:
removed because of harassing aims and emails
see KCOM forum for contact info

AIM: blikeagain
email: docjohnv at gmail dot com

Be careful writing your email out the correct way. Bots crawl through these sites picking up emails for spam.

Also, could everyone who wrote their info post their first name so I can add a name to the email? Mine's John, in case you couldn't tell :D

Hey mx_599, I use my cellphone as my primary phone. If you dont want people reaching u- then turn it off. Thats what I do! :smuggrin:

Raggaman said:
Hey mx_599, I use my cellphone as my primary phone. If you dont want people reaching u- then turn it off. Thats what I do! :smuggrin:
yeah...i know, but then you have people insinuating you're ignoring them...they expect to reach you at anytime.

Hey guys, my info is.

AIM: griff51482
MSN: can be reached at lgriffieon AT yahoo.com

See you all in the fall.

Oh my first name is Lindsay

Hey guys-

congrats on being accepted!
I'm a current OMM fellow and 4th year KCOM student- if you have any questions about what all that osteopathic medicine stuff is all about, feel free to msg me (im busy- dont be offended if i dont reply immediately).

Though you will have new fellows next year, I will probably see you guys around some when you get here. I try to be social.

Michael

bones said:
Hey guys-

congrats on being accepted!
I'm a current OMM fellow and 4th year KCOM student- if you have any questions about what all that osteopathic medicine stuff is all about, feel free to msg me (im busy- dont be offended if i dont reply immediately).

Though you will have new fellows next year, I will probably see you guys around some when you get here. I try to be social.

Michael

Anyone else getting random IMs? If so, maybe we should move the AlM/email to the protected school forum

Did you honestly think that wouldn't happen? Hmmmm.

Does anyone know when KCOM will be finished with interviews?

umm, I don't think they have been doing interviews since the beg middle of april. There is a board where they post the names of those interviewing and I check it each week. It hasn't had a name in ~ a month. Now, I also know that I have seen a person or so walking with faculty that looked like an interviewee, but I don't know. I think all intreviews are over.

1viking said:
umm, I don't think they have been doing interviews since the beg middle of april. There is a board where they post the names of those interviewing and I check it each week. It hasn't had a name in ~ a month. Now, I also know that I have seen a person or so walking with faculty that looked like an interviewee, but I don't know. I think all intreviews are over.

That, and they haven't visited us up in anatomy lab...and no vultures waiting for leftovers in the commons. Hah.

jnpeacoc said:
Anyone else getting random IMs? If so, maybe we should move the AlM/email to the protected school forum
Everyone go post your personal stuff under "Introduction" in the ATSU forums. Its safer there...

Hello All,

I'm you're lates member to the KCOM'09 thread.

Anybody in the KCOM class a bears fan?

Later folks.

I know some people were posting earlier on health insurance, and said that Aetna wasn't covered in Kirksville. I had my dad contact Aetna (who our current plan is through) and they said that the do in fact cover Kirksville. I have a list of the approved primary physicians if anyone wants it, just send me a pm or email.

Hows the housing search going for everyone? The on-campus apartments were full, with a waiting list, so I need to scramble to find an apartment close to campus. Anyone have any idea what the name of the new apartments on osteopathy right across from the medical center are? Also, did anyone check out med-row?

Is living a maybe a mile off campus a bad thing? Cause it looks like everything near campus, on-campus or off-campus is pretty taken. I'm not even gonna be able to make a decision on an apartment till June? Is that a bad thing.

JohnDO said:
Hows the housing search going for everyone? The on-campus apartments were full, with a waiting list, so I need to scramble to find an apartment close to campus. Anyone have any idea what the name of the new apartments on osteopathy right across from the medical center are? Also, did anyone check out med-row?

Thankfully, I got on-campus housing. But I would probably be in your shoes if I wasn't. Good-luck with the housing search!
Did you consider asking some of the 2nd years who are moving to see if you could take over their lease? I stayed with one of the student ambassadors (2nd year) and I know she'll be leaving this summer. She lives in a 1-bedroom duplex, just a couple of minutes away from campus.

hi,
living a mile from school isnt a bad thing. i have friends who are in that situation and they even drive back home for lunch every day and they say its not a hassle. ull find that as the year progresses u might attend lectures less often bc your time might be more valuable spent studying at home, so driving back and forth wont be as much of an issue. also, there are some very nice neighborhoods in kville that arent that close to school and id imagine it would be nice to live in an environment that is away from the school atmosphere!
good luck!

So, are these the "real" requirements for insurance coverage from the school on the sample forms sent? The maximum deductible is $1000, with a lifetime max. of $1,000,000? Anyone having much luck finding an AFFORDABLE policy with these requirements? Hmmmmm, I say...

So is anybody else finding that individual health insurance really sucks. The best I can find so far is $95.35 per month and that is praying to god that I don't get pregnant because there is no way I am paying for health insurance with maternity on it. Health insurance in this country is just rediculous. So I have posted a new topic on the KCOM forum about health insurance that I hope everyone can help eachother out. I put what category I fell under (i.e., 23/f/nonsmoker/excellent health) and then what company has given me the best quote so far and I was hoping that others could post the quotes they have received from other companies and maybe we can all help eachother out in finding the lowest quote that best suits us.

Lindsay

Hey guys,

My name is Mihir (prounounced Me-Here)
Here is my info.

AIM: anjanna83
MSN: I can be reached at mshah2483 AT yahoo.com

See you guys later.

lgriffie said:
So is anybody else finding that individual health insurance really sucks. The best I can find so far is $95.35 per month and that is praying to god that I don't get pregnant because there is no way I am paying for health insurance with maternity on it. Health insurance in this country is just rediculous. So I have posted a new topic on the KCOM forum about health insurance that I hope everyone can help eachother out. I put what category I fell under (i.e., 23/f/nonsmoker/excellent health) and then what company has given me the best quote so far and I was hoping that others could post the quotes they have received from other companies and maybe we can all help eachother out in finding the lowest quote that best suits us.

Lindsay

Were you mostly contacting those on the list sent by KCOM? How many have you talked to? I am just starting to realistically look at insurance--again. I went through this on a smaller scale a while back, and I sure as heck don't want anyone calling me about it! Salesmen... I wish the deductible could be greater than $1000... I'll be sure to post when I hear back from any companies.

I called mostly just the local companies because a lot of them are agents for the larger companies like blue cross blue shield and others. When I looked up blue cross blue shield in the yahoo yellow pages under kirksville, Whitney-Harrison Insurance came up as their carier. I haven't received very many quotes yet. A lot of them are sending me their plans in the mail. I will let you know when I received the mailed ones whether they are any better. The www.studentselect.com does have a really cheap plan but it covers like nothing, just barely satisfies the requirement and I am just a little leary of a company like that. I would rather stick with a more local company that I can trust because the www.studentselect.com doesnt cover any routine exams and me being a girl with a strong history of cancer in my family, I make sure I get my yearly exam in every year and never want to skip that so I am getting a minimal coverage as I can that still includes stuff like that.

anyone know the deal with the osteopathic med student association insurance (www.somainsurance.com)? current students, do you know people on this and are they happy with it?