Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1room available in 3br 1.5 bath unit. In belmont, 20 min bus ride into harvard square. One male one female. Both premed postbac students. $545 util. not included.

Sorry the post isn't that informative, i'm posting from my phone.

Please email me with your questions.

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who has taken any upper level medical science courses have recommendations for specific courses or professors? (I was thinking of taking Neurobiology or Biochemistry or both).

Anyone else not able to pre-register online? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought registration only opened up on August 1st.

There is an option to pre-register by entering all of the needed info and paying the registration fee, so that the process is quicker on August 1st. Except whenever I try to do that, it tells me that I am already in the system (I've never registered for any classes at HES) and when I request my PIN, it tells me that the is no such person. Ugh. Might have to call tomorrow.

There is an option to pre-register by entering all of the needed info and paying the registration fee, so that the process is quicker on August 1st. Except whenever I try to do that, it tells me that I am already in the system (I've never registered for any classes at HES) and when I request my PIN, it tells me that the is no such person. Ugh. Might have to call tomorrow.

I'm having the same problem. Fingers crossed everything works in the morning. :scared:

No hitches with registration as of this morning; got both Chem E-1a and Phys E-1a. It appears that Chemistry is listed at "Limited" enrollment while Physics is "No Limit" enrollment.

In case anyone is interested or for future HES students, here is the registration information:

PHYS E-1a (4 credits)
Rueckner
Tu 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Science Center B

CHEM E-1a (4 credits)
Tucci
Thu 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Science Center B

The total bill for classes was $2,350 with expected aid of $6,219 for the semester. That's $3,869 towards books, supplies, and living expenses. Also, if you're attending under 12 credit hours, you are not eligible for health insurance. Quote, " It is currently only offered to active degree, certificate and diploma candidates who are registered three-quarter time (12 credits) or more per term."

Hey all,

Quick question:

I haven't heard back from the financial aid office yet. Do I have to wait until I receive aid to register? Or do I pay out of pocket and then receive my aid as a reimbursement?

Thanks guys - good luck registering!!

(Special thanks to Jennet for your great apt. searching tips!)

Also, for those of you under 12 credits, what are you going to do for health insurance? It is required by Massachusetts state law that all state residents have health insurance. Will any of you being using the state plans or services?

Registered. Thanks for the reference Jennet. I actually crosschecked my registration numbers and times with your post so if you're already pulling some gunnerish sabatoging tactics before the start of class then i'm screwed. :laugh:

Just checking: we are going to sign up for lab times and do all of the extra scheduling/TF assigning on/after the first day of class right?

No hitches with registration as of this morning; got both Chem E-1a and Phys E-1a. It appears that Chemistry is listed at "Limited" enrollment while Physics is "No Limit" enrollment.

In case anyone is interested or for future HES students, here is the registration information:

PHYS E-1a (4 credits)
Rueckner
Tu 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Science Center B

CHEM E-1a (4 credits)
Tucci
Thu 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Science Center B

The total bill for classes was $2,350 with expected aid of $6,219 for the semester. That's $3,869 towards books, supplies, and living expenses. Also, if you're attending under 12 credit hours, you are not eligible for health insurance. Quote, " It is currently only offered to active degree, certificate and diploma candidates who are registered three-quarter time (12 credits) or more per term."

FYI,

Just called financial services at HES and they said that only degree candidates are eligible for student health insurance. If you are NOT degree candidate (I assume most of us aren't) you are NOT ELIGIBLE. However, as mass. resident we are required to have health insurance. The woman at Fin. Aid said they did not offer any assistance in finding insurance for non-degree candidates.

The woman directed me to mass. state insurance directory www.masshealthconnector.org. I had been looking into this website for the past couple of weeks for insurance for my boyfriend (full time student in online school, no insurance) and was having trouble finding subsidized plans for non-mass full time students or for part time students.

Also, not sure how long you need to live in mass to be considered a resident and eligable

Hey everyone,

I only recently decided that I'll be starting HES this fall as well. Really excited, but finding housing hasn't been the easiest thing to do all the way from CA. Just wondering if any females were still looking for roommates or apartments. Please PM me if you are!

Can't wait to meet all of you!

Figured it out!

One more question: anyone applying for research jobs in the area? Better yet, does anyone already have such a position?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Registered. Thanks for the reference Jennet. I actually crosschecked my registration numbers and times with your post so if you're already pulling some gunnerish sabatoging tactics before the start of class then i'm screwed. :laugh:

Just checking: we are going to sign up for lab times and do all of the extra scheduling/TF assigning on/after the first day of class right?

You choose lab and sections on the first day of class.

I found the motherload on the HEPS website. Here is their webpage: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/heps/ . The Facebook group looks relatively active and there is good information about books and housing.

If you click the "PHYS E-1a" forum, it links you to a page with everything you'd ever want to know about Rueckner's class. I think someone mentioned this before, but I'm re-hashing. There I found the syllabus, math review, problems, lecture slides, etc. Here is the link: http://www.courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ . Go nuts!

I found the motherload on the HEPS website. Here is their webpage: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/heps/ . The Facebook group looks relatively active and there is good information about books and housing.

If you click the "PHYS E-1a" forum, it links you to a page with everything you'd ever want to know about Rueckner's class. I think someone mentioned this before, but I'm re-hashing. There I found the syllabus, math review, problems, lecture slides, etc. Here is the link: http://www.courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ . Go nuts!

What is the link to their Facebook group?

I just decided to enroll in HCP as well, so wanted to introduce myself to the board. I've been lurking for a while (this is my first post) and have found a lot of great advice / insight on SDN. I look forward to meeting (and studying) with you all! :)

Hi All,

Just curious. A while back I was interested in the program, but kind of gave up on it due to personal circumstances of not being able to move to Boston. I've been rethinking it and I'm definitely in a position where I could move, but is it too late to apply to this program? Website states Aug 31st before the year you're applying to med school is the last date. I would definitely attempt to rush my application into them by Monday, but I think registration has already started?

Figured it out!

One more question: anyone applying for research jobs in the area? Better yet, does anyone already have such a position?

I got lucky and a physician I shadowed throughout the late winter/spring was able to hook me up with a colleague at MGH. Had a quick phone interview, talked about what I wanted to get out of research and why I wanted to do research etc. and I'm pretty sure he wants me for a long-term (<12 mos) research position - score!

Most of the websites for the "big" hospitals - MGH, Beth Israel, Childrens, Brigham and Womens - have an online system for applying for research gigs.

Does anyone know what the tentative LAB schedule for PHYS E-1? The CHEM syllabus provides a tentative listing but PHYS syllabus does not.

The PHYS spring 2011 lab schedule is available but this is not terribly useful for the fall.

If you took PHYS last fall (2010), could you please post the list of LAB options that you had.

Thanks,
~cluster

Does anyone know what the tentative LAB schedule for PHYS E-1? The CHEM syllabus provides a tentative listing but PHYS syllabus does not.

The PHYS spring 2011 lab schedule is available but this is not terribly useful for the fall.

If you took PHYS last fall (2010), could you please post the list of LAB options that you had.

Thanks,
~cluster

I'm pretty sure that the spring and fall sections were fairly similar, and that nothing is set in stone until a few weeks before the course starts. I think the spring schedule is a good guide for what the fall might look like.

I'm pretty sure that the spring and fall sections were fairly similar, and that nothing is set in stone until a few weeks before the course starts. I think the spring schedule is a good guide for what the fall might look like.

Thanks rock2doc.

Last edited:
glad i found this thread! i registered for chem and phys a couple days ago and am getting nervous! i'm 3 years out of college and feel like i dont remember how to study anymore! i ordered an "international" edition of the physics text bc it was so much cheaper and promised to be identical in content and pagination (hope this is true).

I really would like to get to know fellow HCPers considering how unstructured the program seems to be. up for a meet & great on the 27th as suggested!

glad i found this thread! i registered for chem and phys a couple days ago and am getting nervous! i'm 3 years out of college and feel like i dont remember how to study anymore! i ordered an "international" edition of the physics text bc it was so much cheaper and promised to be identical in content and pagination (hope this is true).

I really would like to get to know fellow HCPers considering how unstructured the program seems to be. up for a meet & great on the 27th as suggested!

For chem, the math is fairly easy. If you remember algebra you'll do fine. For physics, you might want to brush up on your pre-calc. In particular, I think you should get really intimate with quadratic equations, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

If you took calculus, doing a brief review of differentiation and simple integration can also be helpful, but probably not necessary since the course is not calculus-based.

Hi all.

I wanted to ask any current or former HCPers your opinion on whether I should take Physics at HES if I've already taken it at an undergraduate level, although with a not-so-great grade.

My reasons for taking Physics at HES are that it may be good MCAT prep, and it would give me a chance to make up for the bad grade I got previously.

My reasons for NOT taking Physics at HES are that I've heard it is not necessarily taught as well as the other courses and is notoriously difficult. I wouldn't want to invest $2500 and end up with another bad grade. To compensate for the bad grade I got previously, I could take an upper level science course. However, I would then have to study Physics (which I took eight years ago) on my own in order to prepare for the MCAT.

Any advice from anyone who has taken Physics at HES or who might be able to provide some advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, good luck to everyone getting for the semester / moving in / getting settled / registering for classes! :) I'm moving to Boston on Thursday myself to go apt hunting, so am nervous / excited for that! (As a side note, PM me if you are still looking for a roommate ;))

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just curious. A while back I was interested in the program, but kind of gave up on it due to personal circumstances of not being able to move to Boston. I've been rethinking it and I'm definitely in a position where I could move, but is it too late to apply to this program? Website states Aug 31st before the year you're applying to med school is the last date. I would definitely attempt to rush my application into them by Monday, but I think registration has already started?

Hi queendenteen.

Last month or so, someone else asked this same question in this thread, which you can read up on for more details. Basically, they were informed by Dr. Fixsen that HCP was no longer accepting applications this year. However, I believe you can still go about and register for classes (there is still space) and apply for the actual HCP program next year. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips.

For chem, the math is fairly easy. If you remember algebra you'll do fine. For physics, you might want to brush up on your pre-calc. In particular, I think you should get really intimate with quadratic equations, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

If you took calculus, doing a brief review of differentiation and simple integration can also be helpful, but probably not necessary since the course is not calculus-based.

Last edited:
Anyone bough the Physics book for Fall yet? I looked up the ISBN at Harvard Coop but can't find any international editions or any other editions for sale anywhere. Is the Physics book a Harvard special edition? Do i need the special edition sold at the Coop for class? Or will any current edition work?

Could anybody give advice on obtaining research positions? In general are professors at Harvard accommodating towards Extension students? I have previous research experience (benchwork) and would like to continue that during the school year. Also, it doesn't have to be paid job. Thanks in advance.

Hooray! Summer chem is finally over :) No more titration problems ever again! I'm selling a (very gently used, barely highlighted) copy of Chang 6th Ed General Chemistry text to fund my Fall textbook purchases. $30. Feel free to PM me if interested me and I can meet you down at Harvard Square or nearby.

I noticed that the Chem syllabus says that even though we'll be using the 6th edition of the textbook, any edition is fine. Does anyone know what the difference between say the 5th and the 6th editions is? The price difference is quite significant, but I am a little nervous to buy an older edition... To the folks who have already taken the class - how often did you use the book and do you think I could get by with an older edition? Thanks!

Also, which calculator is the best out of those listed in the syllabus?

Haven't used one of those in ages!

Many of the slides in the lecture notes come straight from the book, and it's easier to follow along with the newer edition since the prof does reference tables in certain pages of the book in problem sets. That being said, I don't think editions really change all that much. It should be easy enough to find the necessary info. Still, why take a chance with your postbac education? I always get the latest edition for all science classes. Preferably international editions cause they're usually identical but cheaper. Unfortunately you can't sell those back to Amazon, which is why I'm offering a deal!

For calculators I used both the TI 30 XS and Casio ES115. I like how the casio can solve quadratic equations but ultimately used my TI for exams since the key placement seems much more intuitive and the display is much sharper.

Hope this helps!

I noticed that the Chem syllabus says that even though we'll be using the 6th edition of the textbook, any edition is fine. Does anyone know what the difference between say the 5th and the 6th editions is? The price difference is quite significant, but I am a little nervous to buy an older edition... To the folks who have already taken the class - how often did you use the book and do you think I could get by with an older edition? Thanks!

Hey guys,

have the professors mailed out the syllabi yet with the required texts, or are we supposed to find the name of the books we'll be using via an alternative method? Thanks a lot.

I took the class last year and used a 4th edition that I bought for 10 dollars. I can't see any reason why the newer edition would provide an advantage. I barely even opened the textbook in the second semester and it made no difference.

The only time I used the textbook were to read before class and for the charts/graphs/tables and they seemed to be the same as the ones as in the lecture slides.

Thanks newbie909 and rock2doc, that was really helpful!

jac673, the syllabi are posted on the courses' websites (not sure what you are taking this semester, but both physics e-1a and chem e-1a are already posted: http://www.courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ and http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k82119)

Speaking of which, I am little confused with what textbook is required for physics 1. The link in the syllabus is broken, and I was wondering if I could get the book on amazon (again, would an older edition be ok?) or is it a special edition that needs to be purchased specifically from the McGraw Hill website? Thanks!

Thanks for the help Sciengee.

I believe the required text is "Physics 2nd Edition" by Giambattista, Richardson, and Richardson. As someone previously mentioned, the international versions are far more affordable and offer the same content as the native US editions (rarely with differences in end chapter exercises). I used ebay to pick up my copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHYSICS-GIAMBAT...ps=63&clkid=2069941840646421556#ht_2358wt_808

I hope this helps!

I used the 5th edition, and the only difference was that the tables/charts I had to use for certain problem sets were on a different page (but not far removed).

Otherwise, it seems to be identical.

Hey Folks,
I was hoping for some advice. I'm planning on taking classes at HES without being enrolled in the HCP for one semester before applying to the HCP, and was wondering which courses you guys would recommend for my first semester.
Things I need to take into account:
I haven't taken chem/phys/calc courses since high school (about 5-6 years ago); I'm still more than willing to work hard enough to compensate for the atrophy I've suffered.
I'm also hoping to ultimately achieve sponsorship and I'll have to take 24 credits on account of my undergrad GPA.

Also, are students expected volunteer and have a job while taking these courses? I am willing to sacrifice almost all of my leisure time but am genuinely curious about the rigor of juggling all of these commitments and how much time the average student has for basic rest. Finally, do students who aren't in the HCP have access to tutoring services? Thanks so much guys, really looking forward to your responses.

Hey Folks,
I was hoping for some advice. I'm planning on taking classes at HES without being enrolled in the HCP for one semester before applying to the HCP, and was wondering which courses you guys would recommend for my first semester.
Things I need to take into account:
I haven't taken chem/phys/calc courses since high school (about 5-6 years ago); I'm still more than willing to work hard enough to compensate for the atrophy I've suffered.
I'm also hoping to ultimately achieve sponsorship and I'll have to take 24 credits on account of my undergrad GPA.

Also, are students expected volunteer and have a job while taking these courses? I am willing to sacrifice almost all of my leisure time but am genuinely curious about the rigor of juggling all of these commitments and how much time the average student has for basic rest. Finally, do students who aren't in the HCP have access to tutoring services? Thanks so much guys, really looking forward to your responses.

Hi there.

HCP recommends following the standard schedule of Chem/Physics your first year and Bio/Orgo your second year. Even if you haven't take these classes since high school, I imagine it won't be a huge issue, and I would assume that a number of people in the program are in your shoes as well. However, since you haven't taken Calc since high school, and a year of Math is required for med schools, I believe you'd have to add that to your schedule. You could try emailing Dr. Fixsen (director of HCP) and Owen Peterson (asst director) about your specific concerns as well. They are very responsive and have answered a number of questions like this for others.

Regarding engaging in other activities while in the program, that varies depending on each person's personal situation and what they feel comfortable with. There are some who work full time, some who work part time, and some who do not work at all. Keep in mind though that the HCP-suggested track of two classes a semester adds up to 8 units, which does not constitute full-time student status (FT status is 12 units). I believe most people volunteer while in the program and/or try to engage in some research as well. Also, if you take a look at the Physics syllabus for example, the professor lays out how much time you are expected to contribute to the course overall (including class time, lab, studying, office hours, etc.). For Physics the total comes out to 16.5 hours a week, so that may be a way for you to gauge how much time each class takes and how much you will have left over.

I hope this answers your questions. I am somewhat new to this forum as well and will just be beginning HCP this fall, so am dispensing information based on what I've read on SDN and what I've learned from talking to current students in HCP.

Hey everyone - I'm finally in Cambridge and I'm looking for a place to live and having a TERRIBLE time! Who would have thought everyone in Cambridge is trying to do the same thing right now?? ha :thumbdown:

I thought I'd write to see if anyone knows of an open room in an apartment they have or that they're looking at. I'd definitely be interested! Please send me a PM.

Good luck. See you all in class!

Speaking of which, I am little confused with what textbook is required for physics 1. The link in the syllabus is broken, and I was wondering if I could get the book on amazon (again, would an older edition be ok?) or is it a special edition that needs to be purchased specifically from the McGraw Hill website? Thanks!

It's not a special edition. Don't get the older edition, since the prof assigns homework from the textbook. It's on amazon, but the int'l version is cheaper and identical. I know that for a fact, since I had the int'l version and finished HCP.

I believe the required text is "Physics 2nd Edition" by Giambattista, Richardson, and Richardson. As someone previously mentioned, the international versions are far more affordable and offer the same content as the native US editions (rarely with differences in end chapter exercises). I used ebay to pick up my copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHYSICS-GIAMBAT...ps=63&clkid=2069941840646421556#ht_2358wt_808

I did not notice any differences. Text and problems were identical, page-for-page to the US hardcover version.

Literally any version will do. You'll never open the book. The edition at the COOP is a "custom" edition because the prof added about 10 pages from another textbook at the end of the COOP version. Don't worry about it. You can always read/photocopy those last few pages at the Grossman (extension school) library.

... However, since you haven't taken Calc since high school, and a year of Math is required for med schools, I believe you'd have to add that to your schedule. You could try emailing Dr. Fixsen (director of HCP) and Owen Peterson (asst director) about your specific concerns as well.

If it was AP calc and the scores were accepted by your undergrad, it should be accepted by most med schools. But you might want to add statistics if you haven't taken it though.

Wow, all of you guys have been immensely helpful. Thanks so much.
I took a year of stats (Research Methods I and II for my Psych major), which fulfilled my quantitative profiency requirements. Am I still required to take Calc, and if so, is it unadvisable to take alongside my first year of Chem/Phys?

Wow, all of you guys have been immensely helpful. Thanks so much.
I took a year of stats (Research Methods I and II for my Psych major), which fulfilled my quantitative profiency requirements. Am I still required to take Calc, and if so, is it unadvisable to take alongside my first year of Chem/Phys?

Well, you never mentioned whether the calc you took in HS was AP and whether your undergrad accepted those AP credits.

Some med schools require calculus and some only require math. If you did not get AP credit for your calc, then it's as if you didn't take calc and you will not have fulfilled the math requirements for those schools that explicitly require calc.

Here's an OLD list of med schools math requirements. You'll need to find an updated list (perhaps through the latest MSAR), but it'll give you a rough idea of what's required of you, math-wise:
http://web.jhu.edu/bin/w/o/add_math_reqs.pdf

Here's an OLD list of med schools math requirements. You'll need to find an updated list (perhaps through the latest MSAR), but it'll give you a rough idea of what's required of you, math-wise:
http://web.jhu.edu/bin/w/o/add_math_reqs.pdf

Well I learned something about the school I'm interested in (my home state has only one school) and it's that it didn't have a math requirement a few years ago. And I thought it does have one now but I checked the website and was surprised to find out that it still doesn't have one. This WHOLE time I thought it had a one year of math requirement that most schools have.

That list is actually quite interesting. Anyone else surprised by the schools recommending computer science? I had no idea that some schools have that. And it seems to be schools located in rural areas. Interesting correlation.

I actually like how the elite schools (hahvahd, jhu, wustl to name a few) require two semesters of calculus. Not that I am even close to even thinking about applying there but in my opinion these schools of course know that you probably won't ever take a derivative in med school and beyond but they have this requirement as "so you want to be a doctor" weeder classes. It wouldn't surprise me to see lower echelon schools catching onto this two semester calculus requirement and also adding this in the future.

To the the person asking about taking calculus on top of physics and chemistry. If you've taken calculus before then I would recommend taking it again or going over the concepts again because per the physics syllabus if i recall correctly, we will be studying kinematics (motion) in the second lecture and remembering how position, velocity and acceleration relate to each other, mathematically speaking, will be extremely helpful in this chapter as well as pretty much every other chapter on physics. I was told that calculus was invented to solve physics problems.

I've got the Gen. Chem solutions manual if anyone needs it, $30 cash. It goes with the book from Chang.

Well I learned something about the school I'm interested in (my home state has only one school) and it's that it didn't have a math requirement a few years ago. And I thought it does have one now but I checked the website and was surprised to find out that it still doesn't have one. This WHOLE time I thought it had a one year of math requirement that most schools have.

That list is actually quite interesting. Anyone else surprised by the schools recommending computer science? I had no idea that some schools have that. And it seems to be schools located in rural areas. Interesting correlation.

I actually like how the elite schools (hahvahd, jhu, wustl to name a few) require two semesters of calculus. Not that I am even close to even thinking about applying there but in my opinion these schools of course know that you probably won't ever take a derivative in med school and beyond but they have this requirement as "so you want to be a doctor" weeder classes. It wouldn't surprise me to see lower echelon schools catching onto this two semester calculus requirement and also adding this in the future.

To the the person asking about taking calculus on top of physics and chemistry. If you've taken calculus before then I would recommend taking it again or going over the concepts again because per the physics syllabus if i recall correctly, we will be studying kinematics (motion) in the second lecture and remembering how position, velocity and acceleration relate to each other, mathematically speaking, will be extremely helpful in this chapter as well as pretty much every other chapter on physics. I was told that calculus was invented to solve physics problems.

Well, it's an old list. Make sure you check the school's current requirements, which will probably be on its website.

If you've taken AP calculus in HS and received credit for it in college, I actually think statistics would be much more relevant to medicine. Especially if the class delves into hypothesis testing, which would be important for research.

Personally, I did not want to touch calculus again after going through it in high school. Physics at HES and on the MCATs do no require any calc knowledge. Granted, with calculus, you'll probably have another perspective on certain equations, but it's not at all necessary to grasp the concepts of kinematics or other intro/mcat-level physics.

Physics at HES and on the MCATs do no require any calc knowledge. Granted, with calculus, you'll probably have another perspective on certain equations, but it's not at all necessary to grasp the concepts of kinematics or other intro/mcat-level physics.

True. I didn't remember much from my high school calc and made it through the course without missing it.

So one week till school starts! Are we still meeting up on saturday? if so does anyone know where and when?