Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all - This week I'm going to apply for the Harvard Extension school. I'm doing this to aid my UGrad GPA which hovers @ 3.1

I want to get into Med School and I'm hoping this helps.

Does Fin Aid cover this? How do rolling applications work? I've been browsing the HCP website for information...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By the way is anyone else leaving their car behind? I feel like I would be able to rely on public transportation to get me everywhere, but then again I've never really lived in the northeast so I wouldn't know. Any opinions?

I am inclined to take my car there but it depends on the apartment situation and the rent for the garage/parking. I won't use my car to commute to HES but use it for shopping, driving around, etc. Again, it all depends on how expensive a garage/parking is every month. So for me the apartment decision comes before the car decision.

I am inclined to take my car there but it depends on the apartment situation and the rent for the garage/parking. I won't use my car to commute to HES but use it for shopping, driving around, etc. Again, it all depends on how expensive a garage/parking is every month. So for me the apartment decision comes before the car decision.

It depends on where you live--- I live in the Inman Square area and have been able to get by on bikes/public transit without any real issues-- I feel that my bike is actually faster in most situations (no parking problems, no traffic problems). That said, I got a job that is 1+ hour from me that would be 20 minutes by car, so sometimes I miss having one. If you are living near Harvard or on the Red Line, not having a car won't be a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Filling out new application right now. :)

I hope I'm accepted.

What is the apartment situation within walking distance of Harvard like if someone has a large dog?

Ahhh.. you think so? Well I'm trying to finish up my AMCAS right now actually. I haven't submitted yet- just stuck on the personal statement a little. Wouldn't doing well and receiving sponsorship (and I do understand you have write like 13 essays) make up for the fact that my GPA won't increase much? I'm actually very late on my SMP apps, that's why I'm sort of looking to HCP as a fall back if I'm not accepted into any SMPs. The 31 MCAT is just a hypothetical. I took my MCAT 6/16 and think I did alright (hence the late SMP apps). I've been averaging better on my practice MCATs so 31 is a conservative estimate.

Getting sponsorship would most definitely help, but you would have to be admitted into the HCP. I suppose if you want to give it a shot, you can just take the classes you need without applying to the HCP (classes are open to everyone), and submit an application about 3 months before submitting your letter of intent to get sponsorship. I don't know if it'll work, but you could try.

I will say, though, that if you've taken as many science courses as it seems like in your previous post, don't expect your gpa to jump up very much. BUT, if you rock the post-bac courses and do well on the MCAT (you might have to take it again), then I see no reason why you wouldn't have a shot at sponsorship.

Along the same vein, you should look into osteopathic schools, since they do grade replacement, so if you didn't do so well in a couple classes, you can rock it in your post-bacc and replace it on your application.

But I give no guarantee that any of this will work.

Getting sponsorship would most definitely help, but you would have to be admitted into the HCP. I suppose if you want to give it a shot, you can just take the classes you need without applying to the HCP (classes are open to everyone), and submit an application about 3 months before submitting your letter of intent to get sponsorship. I don't know if it'll work, but you could try.

I will say, though, that if you've taken as many science courses as it seems like in your previous post, don't expect your gpa to jump up very much. BUT, if you rock the post-bac courses and do well on the MCAT (you might have to take it again), then I see no reason why you wouldn't have a shot at sponsorship.

Along the same vein, you should look into osteopathic schools, since they do grade replacement, so if you didn't do so well in a couple classes, you can rock it in your post-bacc and replace it on your application.

But I give no guarantee that any of this will work.

Delete

Last edited:
Ive been going over a cost comparison and noticed that 2 years of premed at HES will cost $9200. At my local state University it would cost $21,150.
But my low upga (2.5) means that I cant get admitted to the HCP (minimum gpa for HCP is 3.0).

So my question is..... what percentage of post-bacc students doing premed courses at HES are not formally enrolled in the HCP??

More specifically, does it make sense for me to do "a la carte" post-bacc at HES without being formally admitted to the HCP (hence no sponsorship)?
Im reasoning that (best case scenario) I could apply for sponsorship after acing classes.
Worst case scenario would be that I still would be denied sponsorship; but as a non-matriculated student at the local UNI, I wouldn't get sponsorship there either right? so isnt HES the better option? Please help thanks!

Ive been going over a cost comparison and noticed that 2 years of premed at HES will cost $9200. At my local state University it would cost $21,150.
But my low upga (2.5) means that I cant get admitted to the HCP (minimum gpa for HCP is 3.0).

So my question is..... what percentage of post-bacc students doing premed courses at HES are not formally enrolled in the HCP??

More specifically, does it make sense for me to do "a la carte" post-bacc at HES without being formally admitted to the HCP (hence no sponsorship)?
Im reasoning that (best case scenario) I could apply for sponsorship after acing classes.
Worst case scenario would be that I still would be denied sponsorship; but as a non-matriculated student at the local UNI, I wouldn't get sponsorship there either right? so isnt HES the better option? Please help thanks!

I'd say yes. If you were borderline 2.9/3.0.. I'd say get 2-3 classes in with A's and then apply for sponsorship.. but hmmm

Applied...

100.00 App Fee.
Official Transcripts requested to school.
Application.
Q22 Essay on supplemental attachment.
Attached my CV (LOL)

Why am I nervous I'm going to be denied? :laugh:

Now all I need to do is take out a ****load of loans for this. FML.

It will so be worth it. quitting my job to give this my 100% full attention. I'm going for a 3.7-4.0 in a years time... a 35 on the MCAT or higher...

25,000 in loans enough to pay for this + enough to live off of if I'm living outside of Boston for the year???

A questions for those of you who applied for financial aid before the priority deadline: have you received your award letter yet? I've been waiting anxiously. They quoted the time frame at 6 weeks after the deadline (June 1) but my mailbox has been lonely these past few weeks. Any news?

I'm flying into Boston on August 16th. Hopefully some of you will want to have a meet n' greet before classes start. I know I do!

Members don't see this ad :)
A questions for those of you who applied for financial aid before the priority deadline: have you received your award letter yet? I've been waiting anxiously. They quoted the time frame at 6 weeks after the deadline (June 1) but my mailbox has been lonely these past few weeks. Any news?

I'm flying into Boston on August 16th. Hopefully some of you will want to have a meet n' greet before classes start. I know I do!

Do you know if aid is still available? Or am i applying too late?

Hello Everyone,

I am sending out my application for Harvard's HCP tommorow. I understand it is pretty late in the admissions process, hopefully things will go well. Regardless of being admitted into the program for Fall 2011 or not, I will be making the move from Los Angeles to Cambridge, within the next few weeks. Would you all say this is a pretty risky decision, considering I have not been admitted into the program yet? I really do feel quite confident in my abilities, however it is quite a journey to make, when lacking linkages and a formalized structure.

Anyways, for those who have been admitted into the program, any suggestions on where to live? I am considering bringing my car from California, however it may seem like a nuisance when approaching the winter months. I would like to live near campus, possible Davis or Porter Square. I prefer being involved with the Harvard and surrounding community, and love meeting new people when time allows it. Besides I recently graduated from Berkeley last spring, I am still around the age of many younger grad students and would like to interact with individuals, so somewhere dynamic and lively would be a good fit. Thanks!

This was my first post on SDN, I hope to make many more

Congrats and good luck to all those attending this coming Fall!

-Saad

Last edited:

I am in the same boat but still haven't heard anything either...sorry! Have you tried contacting them? I emailed someone to check on it and they were saying a week or two (which has passed now).

Hope that helps!

Do you know if aid is still available? Or am i applying too late?

HCP made it very clear that if you apply after the priority deadline, you will be considered in the order in which your application was received. The Massachusets FAFSA deadline was May 1, 2011 for the 2011-2012 school year. That being said, I'm not a financial aid adviser and you need to call the office.

I am in the same boat but still haven't heard anything either...sorry! Have you tried contacting them? I emailed someone to check on it and they were saying a week or two (which has passed now).

Hope that helps!

Argh, this is really frustrating. Well, at least it is comforting to know we are both waiting! I emailed them awhile ago and received the same answer: "it is on the way". On the way my foot! It would be nice to have some assurance of aid before registration - let's just hope it arrives before August 1!

I also received the "it's coming soon" response! Frustration! The Extension School website also mentions that we will receive financial aid counseling after we get our letters, so hopefully they will give us some more guidance and information then... Any thoughts on when you would apply for supplemental loans? I am heading up from DC towards the end of August, closer to the start of term (my lease actually doesn't start until September 1 so I have some planning to do...) But it would be great to meet up before classes start!

Is anyone still looking for an apartment? It'd be great to room with a few Post-Bacc students. I'm looking to pay 600-800 a month. I heard Somerville is a good place to live b/c its pretty cheap and close to Cambridge. PM if you're interested in looking for a place together!

Hello Everyone,

I am sending out my application for Harvard's HCP tommorow. I understand it is pretty late in the admissions process, hopefully things will go well. Regardless of being admitted into the program for Fall 2011 or not, I will be making the move from Los Angeles to Cambridge, within the next few weeks. Would you all say this is a pretty risky decision, considering I have not been admitted into the program yet? I really do feel quite confident in my abilities, however it is quite a journey to make, when lacking linkages and a formalized structure.

Anyways, for those who have been admitted into the program, any suggestions on where to live? I am considering bringing my car from California, however it may seem like a nuisance when approaching the winter months. I would like to live near campus, possible Davis or Porter Square. I prefer being involved with the Harvard and surrounding community, and love meeting new people when time allows it. Besides I recently graduated from Berkeley last spring, I am still around the age of many younger grad students and would like to interact with individuals, so somewhere dynamic and lively would be a good fit. Thanks!

-Saad

Hi Saad-

You can take classes without being a part of HCP, so worst case is that, if for some reason they don't admit you (and they almost certainly will if you meet the GPA requirements), you can just take the classes you would have taken and apply to be admitted to the HCP for the spring or fall. It's all very loose. I don't see what would be wrong with that scenario, besides not being eligible for loans.

I am 80% sure about this, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't received anything, but I'm not worried about it. As long they get the letter and credit the aid to my account by August 1st (which they tend to get done fairly quickly), I'll be happy.

Hello Everyone,

-Saad

Just as an fyi, I emailed Dr. Fixsen yesterday about applying and he said they're not accepting any more applications for the fall, which completely caught me off guard... I had the impression it was more of a formality.

I was accepted last year, and decided to hold off to finish up some research, so I was just curious if I had to reapply, and then he says it's too late altogether... It might be different for you since you already sent in your application. Worst case though, you could take classes outside of the program, which is what I'll most likely do.

Just as an fyi, I emailed Dr. Fixsen yesterday about applying and he said they're not accepting any more applications for the fall, which completely caught me off guard... I had the impression it was more of a formality.

I was accepted last year, and decided to hold off to finish up some research, so I was just curious if I had to reapply, and then he says it's too late altogether... It might be different for you since you already sent in your application. Worst case though, you could take classes outside of the program, which is what I'll most likely do.

Hmmm I spoke to dr. fixsen 2 days ago... he told me send it in. If they get to it, great. If not, they'll get me back my 100.00 app fee...

so it's a no-lose situation.

the tone changed with me when I told dr. fixsen I was on a PhD track and that I didn't require Sponsorship... my grad advisor can help me with recs... I just need admittance for aid.

Yeah, that makes sense. He told me they're not taking any more applications for 2012 sponsorship... I guess if people are looking to apply in 2013 that's a different story, or if in your case just applying to get aid.

It's not a deal-breaker for me since I'm sponsored by the school where I did my master's. I'm more interested in taking some classes just to bump my undergrad gpa. Still, it's kind of surprising how swamped they seem w/ applications.

Hi Saad-

You can take classes without being a part of HCP, so worst case is that, if for some reason they don't admit you (and they almost certainly will if you meet the GPA requirements), you can just take the classes you would have taken and apply to be admitted to the HCP for the spring or fall. It's all very loose. I don't see what would be wrong with that scenario, besides not being eligible for loans.

I am 80% sure about this, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

rock2doc,

Yes all this seems quite true, and I just hope that I will be admitted into the program. I think I shouldn't have too much difficulty registering for classes, but it's nice to get some of the perks and reassurance of knowing you are in some sort of program. Loans won't be so much of an issue right now, have saved up adequately. Hopefully I will hear back soon from the program, however it seems like their turn around time on decisions can take a little while. Thanks for your help!

Oh and by the way have you been admitted into to the program and beginning this fall as well?

-Saad

gtace,

I spoke to Dr. Fixsen on Monday, and he was expressing some concern as to the timing of my application. He said many factors, namely the economic climate, has resulted in a much larger applicant pool. He was a bit hesitant in my admittance, solely because I was applying a bit late into the application cycle. However he said, I can reapply and still take classes in the mean time. Looks like you and I will be in the same boat, taking classes outside of the program, I just hope we will are able to register for classes in time. I don't want to end up dropping a hefty security deposit on an apartment and not even get my classes. I would send it in anyways, especially if you feel you are a strong applicant. You have little to lose, not accounting for costs associated with transcript delivery. The $100.00 application will be refunded, in the case you are not admitted into HCP. Go for it!

-Saad

Does this mean we can apply for sponsorship during the spring/summer for the 2012 application cycle after we take classes in the fall (if we aren't in HCP)?

Does this mean we can apply for sponsorship during the spring/summer for the 2012 application cycle after we take classes in the fall (if we aren't in HCP)?

From what he told me, they can't offer sponsorship to any more people for the 2012 cycle... I would talk to him directly though. It also might be different once you start taking classes and introduce yourself face-to-face.

What is the min outside GPA req for admittance to the HCP?

One room available starting august in a 3 bed 1.5 bath in belmont, near cambridge. 20 min bus ride into harvard square. $545 month. We think it's a good deal.

one female is a diploma candidate taking summer chem at harvard now. I will be applying to the hcp after one semester of fall chem and physics at HES. I'm taking math at umass now. Im a guy. We have no preference on gender. We're quiet and studious. We dont bring the party home.

My email is andrewtokumi@gmail. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Good luck in your postbacs and good luck to all applying to the hcp.

I GOT MY FINANCIAL AID LETTER TODAY! WAHOO!

For those of you interested, here is the breakdown:

(Est) TUITION AND FEES 2011-2012: $4700
(Est) BOOKS & SUPPLIES: $708

FALL
Federal Subsidized Direct Loan - $2750
Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan - $3500

SPRING

TOTAL = $12,500
Federal Subsidized Direct Loan - $5500
Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan - $7000

12,500- 4700 = $7800
7800 - 708= $7092 on the side for 10 months of school!

I am taking out the full amount and applying for work study/looking for part-time admin jobs at the Harvard research level. I really plan to not take out anymore private loans until they become absolutely necessary. For such an inexpensive program, HES ended up providing me with a nice chunk of money.

In case you are curious about the other HES budget breakdown, here are their estimates:

Tuition - $4600
Fees - $100
Room & Board - $17,098 (mine is at 6,500 for 10 months - not sure where this number came from)
Books & Supplies - $708
Miscellaneous - $2,990
Transportation - $812

See you all in a month!

Ah thanks a lot for posting this! Not sure if I'll be at HES after I graduate but this definitely showed me that it'd be possible to finance!

The room and board estimate made me lol

I GOT MY FINANCIAL AID LETTER TODAY! WAHOO!

For those of you interested, here is the breakdown:

(Est) TUITION AND FEES 2011-2012: $4700
(Est) BOOKS & SUPPLIES: $708

FALL

SPRING

TOTAL = $12,500
Federal Subsidized Direct Loan - $5500
Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan - $7000

12,500- 4700 = $7800
7800 - 708= $7092 on the side for 10 months of school!

I am taking out the full amount and applying for work study/looking for part-time admin jobs at the Harvard research level. I really plan to not take out anymore private loans until they become absolutely necessary. For such an inexpensive program, HES ended up providing me with a nice chunk of money.

In case you are curious about the other HES budget breakdown, here are their estimates:

Tuition - $4600
Fees - $100
Room & Board - $17,098 (mine is at 6,500 for 10 months - not sure where this number came from)
Books & Supplies - $708
Miscellaneous - $2,990
Transportation - $812

See you all in a month!

To answer an earlier post, a large number of students at HES are not in HCP. I believe there's less than 70 HCP students each year, but there are 200-300 students in each lecture.

If you're committed to it, take the HES classes outside of HCP. Get to know the profs and get good LORs. You'll generally need at least 2 science and 1 non-science LOR, at least 1 coming from an undergrad prof. If you insist on a committee letter, ask your undergrad to see if they would be willing to write one. Mine was willing, but I went for the HCP committee letter anyway.

And for those entering HES, here's a few minor penny-pinching tips I repeat often to new students here:
- Buy international paperback versions of the textbooks on ebay if they are available (make sure the versions are correct). They ship from Asia, but it's surprisingly fast shipping. They are IDENTICAL, page-for-page, to the US hardcover version. Since it was cheaper, I felt OK about cutting it up and putting it in a binder. Much lighter to carry relevant chapters than the entire textbook. For orgo, there was no international version. Get the e-book from the publisher instead. It'll be used as reference only.
- For Gen Chem, you'll need a scientific calculator (graphing calculator not allowed). If you don't already have one, but one that can solve quadratics. I like the Casio fx-115ES, but there are others. It'll save you time and prevent calculation mistakes during the 2nd semester when doing solubility problems.
- Get a pair of cheap $3 chemical safety goggles (not safety glasses) at Home Depot instead of buying the fancy, but more expensive goggles at the COOP. You'll look stupid wearing either one. :p
- If you buy a molecular model kit, get it off ebay. Cheaper and they are near identical to the ones sold at the COOP.
- There's a Church Street computer lab and Grossman library for HCP students (extension school students with ID cards). These allow free printing. This will be important for printing physics and bio lecture notes to follow along during lecture. The chem lectures print lecture notes for you.
- If you do intend to sign up for Kaplan for MCAT, they usually have a promotion at the beginning of the year that gives you slightly more savings and a free "Kaplan Edge" course. Put a deposit down to reserve this promotion. You can do this during the year you plan to study for the MCATs. Get your deposit back if you decide not to use Kaplan. (BTW, I'm not promoting Kaplan at all. I find their study material useful, but the 3-hr classes were not much help.)
- If you volunteer at Brigham and Women's Hospital (probably also applies to most local hospitals), you can get discounted monthly T-passes. Saves ~$29/month if you use the Subway/Bus LinkPass. You should volunteer for other reasons though.

The HES financial estimates seem high. That's per year? Based on those estimates, you could potentially save over $1500 alone from these tips, which will go nicely toward med school apps.

Last edited:
To answer an earlier post, a large number of students at HES are not in HCP. I believe there's less than 70 HCP students each year, but there are 200-300 students in each lecture.

If you're committed to it, take the HES classes outside of HCP. Get to know the profs and get good LORs. You'll generally need at least 2 science and 1 non-science LOR, at least 1 coming from an undergrad prof. If you insist on a committee letter, ask your undergrad to see if they would be willing to write one. Mine was willing, but I went for the HCP committee letter anyway.

And for those entering classes, here's a few minor penny-pinching tips I repeat often to new students here:
- Buy international paperback versions of the textbooks on ebay if they are available (make sure the versions are correct). They ship from Asia, but it's surprisingly fast shipping. They are IDENTICAL, page-for-page, to the US hardcover version. Since it was cheaper, I felt OK about cutting it up and putting it in a binder. Much lighter to carry relevant chapters than the entire textbook. For orgo, there was no international version. Get the e-book from the publisher instead. It'll be used as reference only.
- For Gen Chem, you'll need a scientific calculator (graphing calculator not allowed). If you don't already have one, but one that can solve quadratics. I like the Casio fx-115ES, but there are others. It'll save you time and prevent calculation mistakes during the 2nd semester when doing solubility problems.
- Get a pair of cheap $3 chemical safety goggles (not safety glasses) at Home Depot instead of buying the fancy, but more expensive goggles at the COOP. You'll look stupid wearing either one. :p
- If you buy a molecular model kit, get it off ebay. Cheaper and they are near identical to the ones sold at the COOP.
- There's a Church Street computer lab and Grossman library for HCP students (extension school students with ID cards). These allow free printing. This will be important for printing physics and bio lecture notes to follow along during lecture. The chem lectures print lecture notes for you.
- If you do intend to sign up for Kaplan for MCAT, they usually have a promotion at the beginning of the year that gives you slightly more savings and a free "Kaplan Edge" course. Put a deposit down to reserve this promotion. You can do this during the year you plan to study for the MCATs. Get your deposit back if you decide not to use Kaplan. (BTW, I'm not promoting Kaplan at all. I find their study material useful, but the 3-hr classes were not much help.)
- If you volunteer at Brigham and Women's Hospital (probably also applies to most local hospitals), you can get discounted monthly T-passes. Saves ~$29/month if you use the Subway/Bus LinkPass. You should volunteer for other reasons though.

Any tips on alternative financing??? LOL

I'm going to have to take loans... speaking with Dr. Fixsen, he doesn't believe I'll benefit from the HCP program. My freshman and soph grades were too low
and AMCAS counts them... (despite a cGPA of 3.09 and a sGPA of 3.45)

and that my background in science is too strong.

I plan on taking Ochem (b/c genchem is @ the same ****ing time booo)

I'm taking english fiction writing

I want to take physics...

and I'm working on a bio class too

I hate most of the classes are 5-7 or 6-9...

I'll have to quit my night job..

---

spring -

Physics I, Gen Chem I, a second Bio, and still figuring it out lol

:(

1,150.00 ea class yay

Any tips on alternative financing??? LOL

and that my background in science is too strong.

I plan on taking Ochem (b/c genchem is @ the same ****ing time booo)

I'm taking english fiction writing

I want to take physics...

and I'm working on a bio class too

I hate most of the classes are 5-7 or 6-9...

I'll have to quit my night job..

---

spring -

Physics I, Gen Chem I, a second Bio, and still figuring it out lol

:(

1,150.00 ea class yay

Sorry. Can't help with financing info. I paid out-of-pocket.

I couldn't really understand what you were saying, but are you stating you're planning to take Ochem, Physics, English and Bio all at once? I don't know what your science background is, but I'd say that's too much to take on at once. If you're looking to pull up your GPA, be careful not to overload yourself. Ochem and Physics are the hardest courses while Bio requires a good deal of memorization.

Then in the next statement, you mention spring. Are you saying you want to take Physics I, Gen Chem I and another Bio in the spring semester? If so, no can do. The first semester courses are only offered in the fall, the second semester courses are only offered in the spring.

Sorry. Can't help with financing info. I paid out-of-pocket.

I couldn't really understand what you were saying, but are you stating you're planning to take Ochem, Physics, English and Bio all at once? I don't know what your science background is, but I'd say that's too much to take on at once. If you're looking to pull up your GPA, be careful not to overload yourself. Ochem and Physics are the hardest courses while Bio requires a good deal of memorization.

Then in the next statement, you mention spring. Are you saying you want to take Physics I, Gen Chem I and another Bio in the spring semester? If so, no can do. The first semester courses are only offered in the fall, the second semester courses are only offered in the spring.

that is a good point.

as for my background... I have a solid science background. BS and an MS.

Hopefully enough that I can withstand that courseload. I really have to dedicate myself this semester taking Ochem + physics + bio at one time.

Hi everyone,
I just got accepted to the HCP and am looking forward to starting and meeting all of you in the Fall. Let me know if any of you are planning to get together before classes start!

I'm currently taking Calculus 1a at the Summer School (wanted to get it out of the way and also ease back into studying after 3 years out of school and NINE without any science or math), and was wondering whether any of you are in it too? I thought I felt some post-bacc vibes at the review session somewhere between all the high-schoolers...

Anybody know what books were used for Organic Chem and Bio last year?

I believe the recommended HES schedule is as follows:

1st year
Fall: Physics, Chemistry
Spring: Physics (next sequence), Chemistry (next sequence)

2nd year
Fall: Biology, Organic
Spring: Biology (next sequence), Organic (next sequence)

However, I want to start in the Summer.
Then I will do one full year of Fall and Spring.
Finally, I will wind off with another Summer session.

How can I accomplish this at HES?

Anybody know what books were used for Organic Chem and Bio last year?

How's it going there?

Organic Chem: "Organic Chemistry" by Jones
Biology: "Biology" by Brooker

Again, I'd recommend the ebook for the organic chem and the int'l version for the biology.

I believe the recommended HES schedule is as follows:

1st year
Fall: Physics, Chemistry
Spring: Physics (next sequence), Chemistry (next sequence)

2nd year
Fall: Biology, Organic
Spring: Biology (next sequence), Organic (next sequence)

However, I want to start in the Summer.
Then I will do one full year of Fall and Spring.
Finally, I will wind off with another Summer session.

How can I accomplish this at HES?

I think the best way to pull this off would be:
1st Summer: Gen Chem
Full Year: Bio and Orgo
2nd Summer: Physics

The benefit of this: Gen Chem is the easiest, so it'll ease you into how HES works. Bio and Orgo follows the regular, full-year sequence. And I hear Physics in the summer is better than the regular class. Also, if you're a pre-dental student, Physics is not on the DATs, so you can take that class after you take the exam.

The benefit of this: Gen Chem is the easiest, so it'll ease you into how HES works. Bio and Orgo follows the regular, full-year sequence. And I hear Physics in the summer is better than the regular class. Also, if you're a pre-dental student, Physics is not on the DATs, so you can take that class after you take the exam.

Agreed :thumbup:

This is the sequence I'm following. I thought of taking physics along with bio and gen chem during the year, but I figure it won't leave me any time to get in volunteer work and maintain a part-time gig (I need food and the occasional beer to keep me going).

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I recently contacted Dr. Fixsen, and he said that they were no longer accepting sponsorship for 2012. Has anybody taken classes at the extension a la carte, asked for recommendation from professors individually, and have been successful in applying to medical school without the sponsorship?? I don't want to wait until 2013 to apply to medical school.

Also, do classes fill up fast? I have yet signed up for anything yet.

Thanks!

A friend asked Dr. Fixsen this question just today and she forwarded me his response. Here is Dr. Fixsen's suggestion -

First, it is our preferred recommendation that you take chemistry and physics the first year and biology and organic chemistry the second. Of course, you need to be comfortable with math at the pre-calculus level before attempting physics. Given the time restrictions, plan B would be to take chemistry in the summer and then bio, orgo, and physics during the fall and spring. Plan C would be to take chemistry in the summer and then bio and physics during the fall and spring, and orgo the following summer. Problems: summer is much more expensive and insanely condensed; finishing in the summer makes it almost impossible to prepare well for the MCAT in the same year. Hope this helps.

A friend asked Dr. Fixsen this question just today and she forwarded me his response. Here is Dr. Fixsen's suggestion -

First, it is our preferred recommendation that you take chemistry and physics the first year and biology and organic chemistry the second. Of course, you need to be comfortable with math at the pre-calculus level before attempting physics. Given the time restrictions, plan B would be to take chemistry in the summer and then bio, orgo, and physics during the fall and spring. Plan C would be to take chemistry in the summer and then bio and physics during the fall and spring, and orgo the following summer. Problems: summer is much more expensive and insanely condensed; finishing in the summer makes it almost impossible to prepare well for the MCAT in the same year. Hope this helps.

When were you planning to take the MCAT?

Hi all,

I'll be starting this coming fall in the HCP. I'm currently looking for places to live and wanted to see if anyone is looking for a roommate (or multiple roommates). It'd be awesome to find a place around Harvard Square, but my price range of 800-1000 max per month probably won't allow it. Either way, pm me if you're interested in looking for a place!

- Russell

I know somone who dropped from the program and have been very well convinced to NOT take summer courses. I realize this is a personal issue and congrats to anyone who can do it. It certainly isn't for me. I like my spread out, time consuming, library-living long courses.

For you new people, I have the Chem e1A syllabus if you'd like a copy. PM me for details.

Also, I'm in the middle of setting up a HES meet n' greet for Saturday August 20th or 27th. It will likely be at a local Cambridge area bar accessible by T. Any preferences on date? I'll be in Somerville on the 16th so I'm open to whenever the rest of you will be there. I've already got a few good places scouted.

Bring your cell phones for contact numbers. We're gonna need them.

Last edited: