Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also- can you apply for the Spring semester or do they only accept fall admissions?

You can apply to start in the spring - that's what I did. They weren't thrilled with the idea of me taking Bio 2 before 1, but because I had a strong bio background they let me do it. You could also take calc in the spring, since that's required by a lot of med schools, and then start with the 1's in the fall.

Is everyone going to meet up again? I've been in the HCP since January but didn't make it to the meet up last week, but I'd love to come if there's another one.

-Vanessa

Members don't see this ad.

Also, is anyone here taking Phys E-1a and want to make a study group to go over problem sets/prep for exams?

-Vanessa

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still trying to figure out how to do the first lab ;)

Me too! It seems like we aren't going to be taught anything of relevance to the problem sets/labs during lecture, and it just takes so long to try to completely teach yourself everything you need to know from the book.

Hi All!

Anyone know anything about the following courses next semester: Bio E12 Principles and Techniques of Molecular Biology, BIOS E-55 Developmental Biology, and BIOS E-60 Immunology? Ive heard immuno is brutal, but i couldn't find any reviews on ratemyprofessor.com or this thread really.

Also, for those of you who are enrolled in classes, are there enough opportunities (professor office hours, Q&As, etc...) to get to know professors well enough for Letters of recommendations? Are the class sizes small enough to do so? any input is greatly appreciated.

I would also be interested in studying with a group! I feel pretty good about chem, but very overwhelmed with physics.

I couldn't make the meet-and-great you all had on Tuesday night a few weeks ago. Might there be a possibility of scheduling another get together? Perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone, get to know each other and plan some group study?

I am all for more Physics study groups. At this point I am doing Chemistry to feel better about Physics. I have a few suggestions for anyone struggling:

1 - get the Giancoli book. I bought it and and keeping up well enough, and the book actually teaches you principles.
2 - there is a Sunday PM study group with a tutor named Robert for $20 in one of the small classrooms (forget the numbers) by the stairs. Usually I think 110? He is fantastic. Won't help you understand Ruecker, but will definitely help you understand physics.
3 - MIT open course ware for the win!
4 - Kahn academy
5 - Practice problems in Giancoli

So far, this has been my regimen. Other than that, we should totally meet next weekend for a exam study group. Unfortunately, I am dedicating this weekend to Chemistry. I want to ace that test!

See you guys at Queen's Head tonight?

So is the physics tutor guy every Sunday? I'm still a little confused about this

So is the physics tutor guy every Sunday? I'm still a little confused about this

Yes, from 5:30 - 7:30. $20, good tutoring session and he creates handouts for us.

Good luck to all wannabe physicists tomorrow. May the force be with us!!!

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Good luck to all wannabe physicists tomorrow. May the force be with us!!!

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Right back at ya. If anyone is studying for physics tonight and has any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM - I'm pretty confident on most of this stuff.

Also, in case you didn't attend the review session - from what Doug told us, we will not be given a formula sheet. Make sure anything you need is on your crib sheet.

Hi All, I'm new to SDN and hoping that you can offer some advice!

I'm very interested in participating in the HCP at HES to finish my prerequisites. As I have already completed one semester each of bio, inorganic chem, and calculus, plus both semesters of orgo chem, I would like to start taking classes during the spring '12 semester. However, I recently spoke with the Health Careers office and they told me that this year they set a cap on acceptances and have stopped reviewing applications for the 2011-2012 year. It was explained that if I submitted an application for the spring semester it would be returned. However, HES recommended that I begin taking classes in the spring semester on my own and submit an application at the beginning of 2012 to enroll in the HCP in the fall. My questions are:
1) Has anyone else taken a similar approach to Harvard's HCP?

2) Since I only have 5 classes to take (inorganic chem II, bio II, physics I & II + one other medical sciences course), should I be concerned about beginning to take courses before actually being accepted into the HCP?

3) Should I be concerned about sponsorship? Based on their website, when determining whether or not to provide sponsorship, in addition to MCAT scores, GPA, etc., it looks like they also take into consideration when you submitted your application to the HCP program. If I want to apply to med schools June-Oct 2013, do you think I could be in jeopardy of being excluded from the sponsorship pool for the 2013 cycle simply based on when I submitted my application?

4) Lastly, on an unrelated note, has anyone taken physics during the summer at HES recently? What were your thoughts on the accelerated summer course?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Hi All, I'm new to SDN and hoping that you can offer some advice!

I'm very interested in participating in the HCP at HES to finish my prerequisites. As I have already completed one semester each of bio, inorganic chem, and calculus, plus both semesters of orgo chem, I would like to start taking classes during the spring '12 semester. However, I recently spoke with the Health Careers office and they told me that this year they set a cap on acceptances and have stopped reviewing applications for the 2011-2012 year. It was explained that if I submitted an application for the spring semester it would be returned. However, HES recommended that I begin taking classes in the spring semester on my own and submit an application at the beginning of 2012 to enroll in the HCP in the fall. My questions are:
1) Has anyone else taken a similar approach to Harvard's HCP?

2) Since I only have 5 classes to take (inorganic chem II, bio II, physics I & II + one other medical sciences course), should I be concerned about beginning to take courses before actually being accepted into the HCP?

3) Should I be concerned about sponsorship? Based on their website, when determining whether or not to provide sponsorship, in addition to MCAT scores, GPA, etc., it looks like they also take into consideration when you submitted your application to the HCP program. If I want to apply to med schools June-Oct 2013, do you think I could be in jeopardy of being excluded from the sponsorship pool for the 2013 cycle simply based on when I submitted my application?

4) Lastly, on an unrelated note, has anyone taken physics during the summer at HES recently? What were your thoughts on the accelerated summer course?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Current HCP student here. Have nothing but great things to say about the program. Boston is the perfect city for anyone looking to get into some type of health-related profession.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, people do that. I don't think you'd be in jeopardy. Even if you're not formally accepted you can still get LORs from your profs and you'll have the benefit of taking courses with some pretty awesome profs.

2. I wouldn't be too concerned. Not sure if you've thought about it, but there are some upper level science electives that many med schools "want" you to take i.e. biochem, genetics, molecular bio, cell bio, etc. These are offered at HES, and the price is tough to beat.

3. Sponsorship is more than just the # of applicants. They look into your volunteer, work and research experience, grades, etc to make sure you are fit for and have a good chance of getting accepted into medical school. From what I've heard HCP has close to a 90% acceptance rate for sponsored students - that is an outstanding statistic.

4. I've heard really good things about summer physics. That said, I think Dr. Rueckner (the HES physics prof) is awesome. I'm in the boat that physics is a very self taught course. If you don't put in the effort to practice, practice practice you'll never figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
How'd everyone do on the physics midterm? Any idea what the average was? I missed class Tuesday in my desperate attempt to crush more information into the old brainpiece before my bio midterm on Wed...

How'd everyone do on the physics midterm? Any idea what the average was? I missed class Tuesday in my desperate attempt to crush more information into the old brainpiece before my bio midterm on Wed...

Personally I did really well, but I felt confident as hell going into it. Class avg was a 72%. Histogram of the grades (it was attached to the lecture 6 slides)
2nsm35i.jpg

How'd you feel about bio? I know I screwed up the vmax/kmax stuff but felt comfortable with everything else.

Personally I did really well, but I felt confident as hell going into it. Class avg was a 72%. Histogram of the grades (it was attached to the lecture 6 slides)
2nsm35i.jpg

How'd you feel about bio? I know I screwed up the vmax/kmax stuff but felt comfortable with everything else.

I thought the practice exam was harder than the one he gave us. I found the multiple choice/true-false questions to be easy, and the short answer questions to be a bit challenging. There were some questions I wasn't expecting on the short answer section. I think I did OK, though.

I thought the practice exam was harder than the one he gave us. I found the multiple choice/true-false questions to be easy, and the short answer questions to be a bit challenging. There were some questions I wasn't expecting on the short answer section. I think I did OK, though.

Yea, that's how I felt. I think I spent too much time becoming very comfortable explaining and understanding respiration and photosynthesis, causing other topics to receive less attention.

Oh well, lesson learned. Wonder what the average is going to be.

Yea, that's how I felt. I think I spent too much time becoming very comfortable explaining and understanding respiration and photosynthesis, causing other topics to receive less attention.

Oh well, lesson learned. Wonder what the average is going to be.

I figure most people benefit either way. If it's low, a lot of people benefit from the curve. If it's high, then most people did well. It would mostly suck if the average were around 80, because then you don't get much benefit from the curve, and while 80 isn't bad, it won't be the grade most of us want.

I figure most people benefit either way. If it's low, a lot of people benefit from the curve. If it's high, then most people did well. It would mostly suck if the average were around 80, because then you don't get much benefit from the curve, and while 80 isn't bad, it won't be the grade most of us want.

Yeah, I felt the same way with bio... I was really comfortable with the cellular respiration stuff and maybe should have spent more time on the Vmax stuff... I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Do you guys have the syllabus or some examples for the class (a URL) that we can look at as a preview of what the course is like? Thanks...

Do you guys have the syllabus or some examples for the class (a URL) that we can look at as a preview of what the course is like? Thanks...

Sure do! The professors are really good about keeping their websites updated:

Rueckner's Physics class
Tucci's Chemistry Class

You can check on both of those and find the syllabi, lecture slides, practice exams, etc. They all come in handy during midterm time.

Question for anyone who's been in HCP for more than a semester or a year:

I was reading through my acceptance letter and it says I have to meet up with HCP advisor each semester. Does this entail setting up an appointment with Dr. Fixsen/Peterson and having a face-to-face meeting? What would the meeting even be about?

I've been here since January and haven't met with anyone, so I don't think that's actually required. - Vanessa

Question for anyone who's been in HCP for more than a semester or a year:

I was reading through my acceptance letter and it says I have to meet up with HCP advisor each semester. Does this entail setting up an appointment with Dr. Fixsen/Peterson and having a face-to-face meeting? What would the meeting even be about?

I met with Dr. Fixsen today. I'd recommend at least sitting down face-to-face once. He's going to be working with you a lot when it comes time to apply - it wouldn't hurt to meet with him and talk about your plans for class, what you're doing outside of class, etc.

I met with Dr. Fixsen today. I'd recommend at least sitting down face-to-face once. He's going to be working with you a lot when it comes time to apply - it wouldn't hurt to meet with him and talk about your plans for class, what you're doing outside of class, etc.

When I was in HCP, I met with Fixsen or Peterson periodically. I highly recommend it just to get any lingering questions answered (ie. "will my math AP credit be acceptable?") and to make sure everything is in order. I went to them more frequently during my last semester, as I had to make sure my LORs made it to them.

Chances with a 3.3/3.4 sGPA and a 3.6 cGPA? Assuming everything else is fine.

Of? Acceptance into HCP or acceptance into medical school? From what I've been told, HCP is "full" this year, they are no longer taking applications.

To those of you who have experienced the program, any advice on preparing for the core classes? I plan on entering the program fall 2012, but am somewhat anxious because I have never taken chemistry or physics, and my math is extremely rusty (did well in stats during college, haven't taken algebra or geometry since sophomore year of high school and did poorly). Any tips on how to prep now for HES core premed courses would be much appreciated!

Concentrate on brushing up on your math. It is very important for physics, particularly the first semester. The stronger and more comfortable you are with it, the easier and more enjoyable physics will be.

Concentrate on brushing up on your math. It is very important for physics, particularly the first semester. The stronger and more comfortable you are with it, the easier and more enjoyable physics will be.

This 1000 times. I'm finding physics thoroughly enjoyable - great lectures, awesome demonstrations, challenging homework, etc. If I wasn't as comfortable with math (specifically trig) I imagine I'd be in a world of hurt.

Johnny what about living expenses? Housing, food, traveling, and utilities, can you give me a range how much it adds up to for 1 year? I know each person is different but I am thinking 32k for rent and everything else for 1 year, is this accurate? That is the range I heard but just double checking. Sounds a little high.

Johnny what about living expenses? Housing, food, traveling, and utilities, can you give me a range how much it adds up to for 1 year? I know each person is different but I am thinking 32k for rent and everything else for 1 year, is this accurate? That is the range I heard but just double checking. Sounds a little high.

Do you plan on living alone or with a roomate? Car or bike/walk/public trans? Do you want to live in the city or outside of it? Do you cook your own meals or eat out? Do you have health insurance?

I called for information regarding the HCP today, however, the person answering the phone had no clue what he was talking about. Are the classes 2 days a week or 4 days including lab? And do you also have lectures the same week you have labs?

I am planning to take Bio and OChem as I have completed all other pre-reqs through my undergrad degree.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I called for information regarding the HCP today, however, the person answering the phone had no clue what he was talking about. Are the classes 2 days a week or 4 days including lab? And do you also have lectures the same week you have labs?

I am planning to take Bio and OChem as I have completed all other pre-reqs through my undergrad degree.

Thanks a lot for your help.

http://dceweb.harvard.edu/prod/sswc...eference=0A3305264653FCF36CACC3DDA7194E1DFC71

Bio - Mon/Weds @ 7:30 - 9:30 pm. Although it doesn't explicitly say, on the weeks we have lab lecture does not meet. Lab is either Mon or Weds from 730-1030 (although we never go that late). You choose your lab date during the first week of class.

Orgo - Thurs @ 6:00 - 9:00 pm. Review sessions on Monday from 5:30 - 7:30 pm. Labs are every other week Tues 7-11 pm or Sat 9 am -1 pm. It looks like you have Lecture and Lab in the same week. Source: http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic943171.files/ChemE2a-syllabus-2011.pdf

Most information can be found on that first link above. Click on a course, and then click on the link for website.

Hope this helps.

To anyone here taking the Bio class with Anderson right now (or has taken it recently) -- what do you think about the class and the workload involved?
I am thinking about adding Bio-II to my schedule next semester (I have taken one semester of bio in undergrad, so don't need to retake it here) in addition to general chem and physics and am wondering if it's doable considering I want to get an A in each of those classes... Right now chem and physics alone are pretty tough, but when I think about how crazy it's going to be next year with orgo, bio and studying for MCAT, I think it might be worth it getting at least one of those classes out of the way now so that I have more time to study for the MCAT then.
Any input/feedback on the class is appreciated!

I'm just speaking for myself, but the average weekly workload for Bio is pretty light compared to Orgo, Physics, and gen chem. Just reading for each lecture, then a little review. You don't have do do much during the average week. Every few weeks you have to prepare a short lab report, which doesn't take much time.

Come exam time, though, you'll need to study a good amount to get all those lecture slides memorized-- but how much time that will take is completely dependent on the person/ memorization ability. I wouldn't be too concerned about the two classes + MCAT prep-- totally doable.

Definitely lighter than OChem. I will say, though, that there is a lot to go through for the exam. It doesn't help that he says "everything" when you ask what will be on the exam, but if you pay attention in lecture and go over the slides, he gives hints as to what is important to know and what you can devote less time to.

Last edited:
Bio on a week to week basis is manageable. Read, highlight, lecture, review, done.

Test prep is an entirely different animal. There is a ton that is fair game on exams, so just be ready to sacrifice a social life the week leading up to an exam.

November of 2012 we leave the military and move back to the U.S. I will also be finished with my bachelor degree about a month before that. Not all of the science requirements are offered in person here since that requires professors volunteering to live overseas for awhile in order to teach at a military education center. I will have a good amount of biology (it is my minor) so that is taken care of. I will need some chemistry and physics. I will already have calculus, statistics and all other requirements such as english. I also want to take biochemistry at my post bacc.

I really want to end up in the east because my mom lives in Ohio so this program stands out to me for more than just education reasons.

Do you think I would have a competitive chance to get in? I should have a 3.9 GPA unless something happens then maybe a 3.7-3.8, I have been deans list since I can remember, I am in multiple honor societies, I am a military veteran with a honorable discharge, I am a certified daycare provider for military children currently and that includes providing care for special needs children such as autistic kids.

I think I would have a pretty good application with all of that, but my bachelors is from UMUC (university of maryland university college), they are accredited, but they are not a top school. I went with this school because I have to, they have representatives at every military post and offer face to face courses at almost all mlitary education centers. I pretty much had to use this school because I know a completely online school would not look good for med school. My high school records are not exactly impressive either. I was reading info from one post-bacc school that said they also reviewed high school records and I really don't want those to surface. I could say that I had difficult moments and painful times that messed up my high school years.....and that would be true, but at this point in my life I see that as an excuse. I screwed up in high school, I didn't apply myself like I should have near the end and I let my emotions get the best of me. So if this one looks at high school records as well....that is not good for me.

Sorry I am typing so much, I type really fast :p What do you think of my chances to get in?

I'm just speaking for myself, but the average weekly workload for Bio is pretty light compared to Orgo, Physics, and gen chem. Just reading for each lecture, then a little review. You don't have do do much during the average week. Every few weeks you have to prepare a short lab report, which doesn't take much time.

Come exam time, though, you'll need to study a good amount to get all those lecture slides memorized-- but how much time that will take is completely dependent on the person/ memorization ability. I wouldn't be too concerned about the two classes + MCAT prep-- totally doable.

Definitely lighter than OChem. I will say, though, that there is a lot to go through for the exam. It doesn't help that he says "everything" when you ask what will be on the exam, but if you pay attention in lecture and go over the slides, he gives hints as to what is important to know and what you can devote less time to.

Bio on a week to week basis is manageable. Read, highlight, lecture, review, done.

Test prep is an entirely different animal. There is a ton that is fair game on exams, so just be ready to sacrifice a social life the week leading up to an exam.

Thanks guys for your input!
Seems like either way should be doable for me. I guess if I decide to take all three classes next semester, I can only hope that I don't end up having a bunch of midterms in the same week and will really have to brace myself for that finals week... I really like my current TAs and would like to stick with them, though, so perhaps the schedule won't work out for me for all three classes anyway.. Or maybe I should wait till I get my final grades first and see if it is such a good idea to increase my workload by 50% :/
Thanks again!

LupaCupcake, I don't think you should have difficulty getting into HCP with those stats.

@Sciengee: Like others have mentioned, Bio with Anderson isn't bad. Mostly, it's just reading the text. For exams, you should study off his notes and use the text as a reference. He comes up with exam questions directly from his own notes. Unfortunately, for his exams, you need to know details (ie. DNA Polymerase I, II, III or IV)

I did Bio and Orgo together, took a Kaplan course starting in January, then took a May MCAT. It was doable. I had a friend who took the April MCAT and, come the end of the semester, I realized he made a much better decision. By mid-to-late April, there are only a few lectures of MCAT-relevant Bio and no lectures of MCAT-relevant Orgo, so you only need to fill in that gap by reading a few chapters on your own. April is relatively sparse on midterm exams while May is finals time. So, while I was cramming for my finals and my MCATs, my friend was just cruising along with just the finals to worry about. I also realized later that, if I screwed up my May MCATs, a retake would make my application late.

@LupaCupcake: You have a great GPA. I'm confident they'll let you into HCP (assuming you haven't taken any of the pre-reqs yet). Even if you don't get into HCP, you can always take the exact same courses. You won't have a committee letter that way, but you can still get the LOR from professors.

ghostman, that's great advice on MCAT timing. I didn't think of that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

ghostman, that's great advice on MCAT timing. I didn't think of that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

Neither did I, and I'm actually thinking that's what I might do now. My original plan was to take Orgo over the summer (thus finishing up my pre-med requirements) but now I'm thinking of taking biochemistry and molecular biology over next summer (neither require Orgo) and Orgo and A&P I&II the following fall and spring.

I couldn't help but feel like I was setting myself up for suicide taking Orgo over the summer, and I feel like taking Orgo and A&P I&II won't hurt when it comes to MCAT prep.

@johnnyscans: Advice from my Gen Chem TF who took Bios E-10: take a semester of orgo before you do biochem. It'll be doable if you've taken a year of Gen Chem, but you'll likely have to work twice as hard as everyone else since most everyone else will have already taken Orgo and have a general grasp of what's going on ahead of time.

Last edited:
@johnnyscans: Advice from my Gen Chem TF who took Bios E-10: take a semester of orgo before you do biochem. It'll be doable if you've taken a year of Gen Chem, but you'll likely have to work twice as hard as everyone else since most everyone else will have already taken Orgo and have a general grasp of what's going on ahead of time.

Hmm. I know that the extension school biochemistry course requires both a year of bio and a year of chem. Summer school biochemistry, on the other hand, lists only a year of bio as the prereq - I wonder if the courses are taught differently.

That said, thank you for the heads up. Luckily I have some time before I have to make a decision.

Can any current Harvard Extension students give their views on this.

My logic is that because only the top 10% get inducted into the Honor Society at Harvard Extension's ALB, it means only 10% get over a 3.30 GPA. So Harvard Extension's ALB is a bad route to get into medical school. Any disagreements?

Can any current Harvard Extension students give their views on this.

My logic is that because only the top 10% get inducted into the Honor Society at Harvard Extension's ALB, it means only 10% get over a 3.30 GPA. So Harvard Extension's ALB is a bad route to get into medical school. Any disagreements?

Disagree.

This statistic tells me nothing. I don't know who's getting the 3.3. I don't know what they're studying. This also doesn't tell me how many of those students are actually interested in pursuing med school or some other professional school where a high GPA is required. Most of those students won't be interested in pursuing medicine/law/etc., so why would they care that they have straight B's all the way through? I certainly didn't before going pre-med.

So, saying that doing the ALB route is detrimental is silly.

In addition, this is the wrong thread to discuss this, and you've already posted something similar in a different thread in this subforum.

Disagree. This statistic tells me nothing. I don't know who's getting the 3.3. I don't know what they're studying.

It doesn't matter who's getting the 3.3. At my local college, at the graduate college level, probably not even a single person graduated with a GPA of less than 3.3. At the undergraduate level, while I don't have the exact statistics, definitely less than 10% graduated with a GPA of 3.3 or lower. When you compare it to HES, you have 10% graduating with a GPA of 3.3 and above.

Who is at an advantage when it comes to medical school admissions? Unfortunately, medical schools give more prominence to GPA than to GMAT, so "easy" college students and "easy" majors have a tremendous advantage in medical school admissions. It's kinda sad.

It doesn't matter who's getting the 3.3. At my local college, at the graduate college level, probably not even a single person graduated with a GPA of less than 3.3. At the undergraduate level, while I don't have the exact statistics, definitely less than 10% graduated with a GPA of 3.3 or lower. When you compare it to HES, you have 10% graduating with a GPA of 3.3 and above.

Who is at an advantage when it comes to medical school admissions? Unfortunately, medical schools give more prominence to GPA than to GMAT, so "easy" college students and "easy" majors have a tremendous advantage in medical school admissions. It's kinda sad.

It does matter who gets the 3.3
Let's say we get the stats on all the students going for the ALB who are also pre-med, and we find out that half of them have a GPA of at least 3.3. That's a significant difference from 10% of all students getting at least a 3.3. Without knowing who is getting the 3.3, the stats don't mean much.
Also, at the graduate level, getting less than B is a no-no in most programs, so it's not surprising that such a high a proportion of students graduated with at least 3.3 GPA.

And, I don't know where you went to college, but having less than 10% graduating with a GPA under 3.3 means that either the undergrads at that college are exceptional students, or there's crazy grade inflation going on, or the courses are made so easy as to do a disservice to those who matriculate in that school.

There IS crazy grade inflation going on at most universities. Which is why when only 10% of HES graduates of the ALB program get over 3.3, Harvard Extension's ALB seems to be a very bad idea for students aiming for medical school.