Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed :thumbup:

This is the sequence I'm following. I thought of taking physics along with bio and gen chem during the year, but I figure it won't leave me any time to get in volunteer work and maintain a part-time gig (I need food and the occasional beer to keep me going).

Glad to see someone else will be working part-time for beer.

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of the pre-med coursework.

The HCP advice is solid. If you're planning it immediately after your last summer course, that'll give you an August MCAT exam date. The score won't come out until Sept, which will mean your application is late. That's a bad idea. But if you delay it to the next year, why cram the schedule and pay more for classes? Just something to consider.

As for the actual order of the classes to take, I still prefer the one I suggested over HCP's order. In order to get a good understanding of Orgo, which you'll need for Biochem, you should probably take the time to understand it.

Bring your cell phones for contact numbers. We're gonna need them.

What's a good cell phone provider for Boston? And how much will I be expected to pay per month? Currently I pay $10 for 45 days (Virgin Mobile) and I get charged 20 cents a minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions on apartments close to Harvard that will allow a large dog?

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else will be working part-time for beer.

It's all I have left to work for. If not for a beer or two on Friday nights, I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am in chem right now.

I'm also really excited to be going to Portland in a month. I'm going to pack 20 pounds of OR beer in my checked baggage. Me+beer=:love:

What's a good cell phone provider for Boston? And how much will I be expected to pay per month? Currently I pay $10 for 45 days (Virgin Mobile) and I get charged 20 cents a minute.

I obviously know nothing about cell phones in Massachusetts.

Last edited:
It's all I have left to work for. If not for a beer or two on Friday nights, I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am in chem right now.

I'm also really excited to be going to Portland in a month. I'm going to pack 20 pounds of OR beer in my checked baggage. Me+beer=:love:

I'm shipping a few cases of the local brew.

Have you been to the Lower Depths yet? Thinking about sponsoring the happy hour there!

Last edited:
I also know smiley's roommate who dropped from the program and have been very well convinced to NOT take summer courses. I realize this is a personal issue and congrats to anyone who can do it. It certainly isn't for me. I like my spread out, time consuming, library-living long courses.

For you new people, I have the Chem e1A syllabus if you'd like a copy. PM me for details.

Also, I'm in the middle of setting up a HES meet n' greet for Saturday August 20th or 27th. It will likely be at a local Cambridge area bar accessible by T. Any preferences on date? I'll be in Somerville on the 16th so I'm open to whenever the rest of you will be there. I've already got a few good bars scouted.

I'm so down for a get together before school starts. It would be great to actually meet ya'll before the hardcore studying begins! Also, I haven't received my financial aid letter yet, should I be worried?

I'm shipping a few cases of the local brew (St. Arnold's in Houston) to my apartment. I have Divine Reserve 11, an annually brewed and limited availability beer, that will age until I graduate from HES. This beer is fought over in grocery stores. I have a six pack. It will be in a safe.

Have you been to the Lower Depths yet? Thinking about sponsoring the happy hour there!

I haven't yet.

BTW, be careful shipping alcohol in and out of MA. I'm not exactly sure what the law says now, but at least up until a couple years ago, it was illegal to ship alcohol in and out of the state without a license.

I haven't yet.

BTW, be careful shipping alcohol in and out of MA. I'm not exactly sure what the law says now, but at least up until a couple years ago, it was illegal to ship alcohol in and out of the state without a license.

Well, that settles it. Suitcase full of beer. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I'm in the middle of setting up a HES meet n' greet for Saturday August 20th or 27th. It will likely be at a local Cambridge area bar accessible by T. Any preferences on date? I'll be in Somerville on the 16th so I'm open to whenever the rest of you will be there. I've already got a few good bars scouted.

I will totally be up for something on the 27th (which is when I get to town), great idea Jennet. Can't wait to meet everyone! Blair

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm shipping a few cases of the local brew (St. Arnold's in Houston) to my apartment. I have Divine Reserve 11, an annually brewed and limited availability beer, that will age until I graduate from HES. This beer is fought over in grocery stores. I have a six pack. It will be in a safe.

And I forgot to add that I would totally be down for happy hour anytime. Really, I'd be down for happy hour at any fine beer establishment. Bukowski's in Back Bay near the Hynes Convention Center is also good. There's another one in Inman Square in Cambridge, but the service is kind of meh.

Ok... I got a welcome to Harvard Extension School greeting notice from the Fin Aid dept... and a notice that I need to change my fafsa so they can package me...

did I miss something? :confused:

I compiled a list of SDN users starting in Fall2011. I gathered this data from various posts to the SDN forum. It is not comprehensive, so if I missed your name, please don't take it personally. Just add yourself to the list.

1. DocInDaHouse
  2. Jennet
  3. cluster
  4. gmen028
  5. blair2011
  6. Sciengee
  7. Pose
  8. UCLAtrueblue
  9. chicagoryan
  10. runnerbee
  11. MsMD00
  12. noy2005
  13. simcha17
  14. AlbionAshley
  15. LetsGoNeuro

Did anyone else get on this list since last month?

Did anyone else get on this list since last month?

I am starting in the Fall but not part of Harvard Extension diploma. When registration for classes open August 1, I will just register for them and move to Cambridge.

Does anyone know what textbooks we will use for the pre-req courses at HES? I like to buy my books in advance before they run out. I also hear prices at the Harvard Coop are needlessly high.

Send me a message if your looking for housing in the fall.

-Justin

If you've expressed interest in the meet n' greet, PM me and I'll shoot you the details. Can't wait to meet everyone and get geared up for the fall. It will be really wonderful to have contacts in the program for notes, studying, or general tomfoolery.

Last edited:
If you've expressed interest in the meet n' greet, PM me and I'll shoot you the details. Can't wait to meet everyone and get geared up for the fall. It will be really wonderful to have contacts in the program for notes, studying, or general tomfoolery.

The above post and the other posts you've made in other threads - why do you first post X, delete it and then post Y which is something completely different from X? You're the biggest drama queen at Harvard Extension and on SDN. I wish someone more level-headed with less drama was organizing the meet n' greet. I wouldn't like to be part of the meet n' greet if you are organizing it.

Incidentally, I checked what TexasM has posted. Everything he or she said is within the boundaries of free expression of ideas. And in the other thread you're telling the moderators to ban his ISP! To give you a taste of your own medicine, how would you like it if someone e-mails Harvard Extension and our professors at HES and tells them around the time recommendation letters are written that you routinely falsely accuse people of harassing you? Now that would be terribly unfair, wouldn't it? Likewise banning someone's ISP for no good reason is very serious action. You are hurting a student's medical career because he or she may not be able to access the very valuable information on SDN again! Are you from one of the countries that suppresses free and open expression of ideas? (That is just a rhetorical question because my friends from HES have told me who you are). If you have a problem with someone over email - and I am told you're making it all up - complain it to the email provider and let the email provider take action. Don't carry any disputes over to this forum.

Banning someone's ISP is not likely to help if a person is internet savvy. The person will just use a proxy that changes his ISP, get another account and continue to post. You know there is an ignore list. If you don't like someone's views, just add the person to your ignore list. Grow up and stop being such a drama queen. Jeez, I can't believe I'll have to put up with you at Harvard!

Last edited:
If anyone is still looking for housing for Sept 1st, feel free to shoot me a PM. There's 1 BR open in my 3BR apt near Porter Square (5-7 min to T stop, 20-25 min walk to Harvard). I've been living here for the past 2 years while completing the HCP program, which I just finished in May, so I can tell you that it's a quiet setup and has been very conducive to studying for me. I'll send the craigslist ad if anyone's interested.

The above post and the other posts you've made in other threads - why do you first post X, delete it and then post Y which is something completely different from X? You're the biggest drama queen at Harvard Extension and on SDN. I wish someone more level-headed with less drama was organizing the meet n' greet. I wouldn't like to be part of the meet n' greet if you are organizing it.

Incidentally, I checked what TexasM has posted. Everything he or she said is within the boundaries of free expression of ideas. And in the other thread you're telling the moderators to ban his ISP! To give you a taste of your own medicine, how would you like it if someone e-mails Harvard Extension and our professors at HES and tells them around the time recommendation letters are written that you routinely falsely accuse people of harassing you? Now that would be terribly unfair, wouldn't it? Likewise banning someone's ISP for no good reason is very serious action. You are hurting a student's medical career because he or she may not be able to access the very valuable information on SDN again! Are you from one of the countries that suppresses free and open expression of ideas? (That is just a rhetorical question because my friends from HES have told me who you are). If you have a problem with someone over email - and I am told you're making it all up - complain it to the email provider and let the email provider take action. Don't carry any disputes over to this forum.

Banning someone's ISP is not likely to help if a person is internet savvy. The person will just use a proxy that changes his ISP, get another account and continue to post. You know there is an ignore list. If you don't like someone's views, just add the person to your ignore list. Grow up and stop being such a drama queen. Jeez, I can't believe I'll have to put up with you at Harvard!

I'm sorry you feel that way. We'll miss you at the meet n' greet!

I don't remember posting on SDN about a dog but I do have a dog like millions of other Americans. Indeed, I have three dogs! If this is your logic for assuming I am the same person as Texasm, then you need to give up all hopes of studying medicine because you won't make it! As I have said repeatedly Texasm can go to hell for all I care. My problem is with Jenna because she is advocating banning ISP's. I looked through the posts by Texasm and I found nothing he posted that deserved banning his (or her?) ISP. If you find something like that, I encourage you to bring it to my attention. My other problem with Jenna and you is that by insinuating I am the same person as texasm, you are implying that I am harassing Jenna over email. Incidentally, no one ever harassed Jenna over email and the person who Jenna said harassed her over email has made all his emails to her available to some of us who are already at Harvard. My final problem with Jenna/Jennet is that she has been lobbying the moderators to ban me too and my ISP too.

Why are you rushing to Jenna's rescue in every thread? Is this another of her aliases?????????

Interestingly, if you go on the public search engine spokeo.com and type out your email address, you are listed as John Norton as well as Jenna Norton. This is a public search engine, free to be used by anyone. This is Harvard, not Houston - you can't fool everyone at Harvard like you did in Houston.

I am presuming you Smiley27 and Jenna Norton aka Jennet aka John Norton are the same individual based on your behavior. We will know for sure after you arrive here and take classes with us. Most of us hang out on the private Harvard Extension forum (for which you need a Harvard email address), which is where you will be posting after you join HES. I need to warn you Jenna that once you arrive at HES, you're not likely to find much tolerance for such behaviors either on our private forum or on campus. I am told you have aspirations for student leadership positions at HES. I am not sure we want an individual like you to be our leader and represent us. You have already started out on the wrong foot at HES Jenna. It is in your own interest to be courteous and civil to your colleagues. Attacking your colleagues, making false accusations, falsely alleging that they harass you over email is certain to backfire.

I must also mention that making false accusations and falsely alleging that an HES student is attacking you and harassing you over email may result in disciplinary action against you at Harvard Extension. So this is a formal request for you to cease such false accusations. Because if you continue with such fake accusations, we will go to the HES administration and ask you to provide evidence of such harassing emails by another Harvard student and that will get you into trouble because you won't be able to provide any emails like that. I think the best solution is for you to privately apologize to the individual who you falsely said was harassing you over email.

Congratulations! You've already started out wonderfully at HES!

Last edited:
We'll miss you at the meet n' greet!

Jenna, stop pretending that I am invited. You have made this a closed event and there are at least 6 people who have sent you a PM who are not being invited, including me. So stop pretending that I am invited.

images

Jenna, stop pretending that I am invited. You have made this a closed event and there are at least 6 people who have sent you a PM who are not being invited, including me. So stop pretending that I am invited.

I'm sorry but I really don't have any unanswered private messages. Please tell those 6 people to send their requests again by SDN private message and I'm sure I'll receive them. If you let me know who sent them, I can check my block list and make sure they are not on it. That way, everyone who wants to may attend. Sorry! You are all invited! We have about 11 people attending so far and it is going to be a great start to the semester.

Give me a break Jenna/Jill Norton/John Norton/Jennet/Smiley27. You first say the meet-n-greet is a closed event and now you say all are invited? You ask people to PM you for details and invitation and later you claim you never received any PM's. You make up a story and tell everyone that Texasm is stalking you over email, harassing you over email and threatening you over email, then you get the mods to ban Texasm and block his ISP. Then you claim I am Texasm and ask the mods to ban me and block my ISP too. And on top of it, you accuse a kind and helpful second-year Harvard student who emailed you a list of HES textbooks and accuse him too of being Texasm over email. Well you need to know that this Harvard student will put in a formal request to produce all the harrassing emails you told SDN posters he sent you. I don't know for sure if you and Smiley27 are the same person but if he is not, he is likely to fry too for this. It is one thing to accuse random posters on SDN of being a troll and it is completely something else when you falsely publicly accuse your own colleague who is a second-year student at Harvard Extension of harassing you - especially when that charge is completely and utterly baseless. What kind of a drama queen are you? And you want to be a student leader at Harvard Extension? I see you are toning down your rhetoric in your posts now but you have already hurt individuals and gotten them banned and their ISP's blocked, so unless you apologize to that second-year Harvard student, you really need a lot of good luck at Harvard! You already have a number of people at HES who dislike you intensely.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we will get our Harvard emails/ID#? They gave me this weird ID with an @sign but it doesn't work for trying to pull up old syllabi on the website. I was trying to get an idea of the books I would need to think about (for budgeting) and couldn't bring up Chemistry or Physics without having a Harvard email.

Does anyone know of books or past books?

Also, I am not planning on working the first semester at least, so I was thinking about doing the Chem/Physics combo but also doing Bio 1-a. Thoughts?

Who is ready to register for classes on Monday? Woo!

I think youre going to get ur email address after you register. I put up a link before on this thread that shows the CHEM and PHYSICS website on this thread. You can check for books/old exams/practice problems there.
Personally, I don't think I can manage 3 sci courses all at once, especially when I haven't taken sci courses since high school. Doing one chem/physics problem alone takes me up to 30-one hour. Try getting at least one textbook beforehand and see if you can answer all of the problems for a section (which you have to do for physics) in a reasonable time. If you're able to manage your time and understand everything you're doing, then I'd say go for it.

on a side note.... this thread has become the worst harvard extension thread on sdn. keep ur bull**** off the forum please : )

Does anyone know when we will get our Harvard emails/ID#? They gave me this weird ID with an @sign but it doesn't work for trying to pull up old syllabi on the website. I was trying to get an idea of the books I would need to think about (for budgeting) and couldn't bring up Chemistry or Physics without having a Harvard email.

Also, I am not planning on working the first semester at least, so I was thinking about doing the Chem/Physics combo but also doing Bio 1-a. Thoughts?

A second-year HES student sent me this:

- General Chemistry The Essential Concepts - Custom 6th edition for Harvard Summer School/Extension School by Raymond Chang

- Organic Chemistry I - Translating the Basic Concepts by David Klein

- Organic Chemistry II - Second Semester Topics by David Klein

- Physics - Giambattista et al.

- Biology - Campbell and Reece.

Of course, the books may change this year! So don't spend money buying them right away.

- General Chemistry The Essential Concepts - Custom 6th edition for Harvard Summer School/Extension School by Raymond Chang

Of course, the books may change this year! So don't spend money buying them right away.

Thanks for this! This will at least give me an idea of what to expect! And great suggestion sungjy1231 about testing myself a bit before the semester starts. I've been reviewing stuff on Kahn Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/), including brushing up on pre-calculus and physics, so I hope I will be OK! I feel like since I won't be focusing on anything but these courses and studying the first semester, maybe three will be alright, but we shall see! Blair

Thanks for this! This will at least give me an idea of what to expect! And great suggestion sungjy1231 about testing myself a bit before the semester starts. I've been reviewing stuff on Kahn Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/), including brushing up on pre-calculus and physics, so I hope I will be OK! I feel like since I won't be focusing on anything but these courses and studying the first semester, maybe three will be alright, but we shall see! Blair

Just don't confuse yourself! HES uses different symbols compared to some other schools. If you are the kind that gets confused if square root of delta is used instead of alpha somewhere else, it is best to wait for the classes to begin before studying anything.

on a side note.... this thread has become the worst harvard extension thread on sdn. keep ur bull**** off the forum please : )

Agreed. Let's not derail what this thread was originally created for. I believe the pre-allo forum was specifically created for flame wars and catfights.

This list is already outdated. The Organic Chem and Biology books listed above are not what was used last semester. Gen Chem and Physics remains the same though.

We used:
Organic Chemistry 4th Edition by Maitland Jones (girl drawing figures cover)
Biology 2nd Edition by Robert Brooker (jellyfish cover)

blair2011, you might want to check my earlier post on tips to save money. You can get the Int'l version of these textbooks when it comes time to buy them and save a bunch of money. Btw, don't worry about the fact that the Gen Chem text is a "custom edition". Tucci added a few pages to the end of it from another text. You can read those few pages at the Grossman (Extension School) library. I also recommend getting the ebook for Organic Chem since you'll only use it as a reference occasionally. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought the hardcover. If anyone is inclined to buy my copy w/ study guide, let me know.

But definitely don't buy anything until you see the syllabus. Books might change.

Last edited:
I also recommend getting the ebook for Organic Chem since you'll only use it as a reference occasionally.

I've never used an ebook myself - How does an ebook work out and why is it better than a regular book for OC?

This list is already outdated. The Organic Chem and Biology books listed above are not what was used last semester. Gen Chem and Physics remains the same though.

We used:
Organic Chemistry 4th Edition by Maitland Jones (girl drawing figures cover)
Biology 2nd Edition by Robert Brooker (jellyfish cover)

blair2011, you might want to check my earlier post on tips to save money. You can get the Int'l version of these textbooks when it comes time to buy them and save a bunch of money. Btw, don't worry about the fact that the Gen Chem text is a "custom edition". Tucci added a few pages to the end of it from another text. You can read those few pages at the Grossman (Extension School) library. I also recommend getting the ebook for Organic Chem since you'll only use it as a reference occasionally. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought the hardcover. If anyone is inclined to buy my copy w/ study guide, let me know.

But definitely don't buy anything until you see the syllabus. Books might change.

Thanks for the update and the suggestions! I definitely don't plan on actually buying anything until I see the syllabi, but I was just trying to price it all out to get a general idea of the costs that I need to consider. That is a good suggestion for the ebooks and international books; I'll have to look into those options as well. Thanks again!

For anyone contemplating an upper level science course, I highly recommend Neurobiology. It starts a little slow, but the subject is fascinating and the professor is great. The course is well run, too.

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to officially introduce myself to the group. I am a 28 yr old female starting HCP this fall. My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Boston from Seattle mid-August and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all!

Some quick logistics questions for you:

1. Have any of you tried to find housing long-distance, or are you traveling to Boston to hunt (or waiting until you arrive for school)?

2. I'm having trouble accessing the course pages for physics and chem using the links that have been posted on this thread. I do not have a login to access the info, and I am not sure where to procure one... any advice? or better links?

3. Anyone know if there is any general orientation or info session for incoming HCP students? I realize the program is very informal, but I still feel a bit ungrounded as to how the whole process is going pan out.

Thanks guys! Look forward to seeing you soon!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to officially introduce myself to the group. I am a 28 yr old female starting HCP this fall. My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Boston from Seattle mid-August and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all!

Some quick logistics questions for you:

1. Have any of you tried to find housing long-distance, or are you traveling to Boston to hunt (or waiting until you arrive for school)?

2. I'm having trouble accessing the course pages for physics and chem using the links that have been posted on this thread. I do not have a login to access the info, and I am not sure where to procure one... any advice? or better links?

3. Anyone know if there is any general orientation or info session for incoming HCP students? I realize the program is very informal, but I still feel a bit ungrounded as to how the whole process is going pan out.

Thanks guys! Look forward to seeing you soon!

Nice to meet you! I used padmapper.com and found some people willing to Skype chat for a room they were renting. I think I was relatively lucky but you'll never know until you ask! Padmapper has a T overlay and you can calculate your total time to the respective stops. It also has an option to map out groceries, restaurants, and bars if you'd like to have amenities around.

Friends have said repeatedly that September 1 is the worst day in Boston (I'm sure that is an overstatement considering snowpocalypse). Basically every university has their move-ins on that date so the city becomes more crowded than usual. Also, if you park a car to move things in, there is a city wide permit you must purchase for (I think) $100. If you can't find something before classes, you may want to try and sublet for a few weeks before finding something more permanent.

This website and forum is a great resource if you're just getting started. I'd suggest going through the thread and looking at all the advice including that on cheap textbooks & required reading, cluster's post on the HX information meeting, and Moki's posts about the program. They were all extremely helpful and informative.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask these questions, but I was reading the website and it had the typical course track that students take (2 years).

My question is, do people fulfill the english and math requirements while attending HCP as well?

I was thinking about taking calculus (refresher thing, A- undergrad) before going into HCP, because it's been 5 years since any math course and taking a calc-based physics class seems like it would wipe the floor with me, as my math understanding stands now. Would this be detrimental to my future applications?

I was wondering the same! If you do figure out how to set up our email address and how to find the syllabi please let me know. We can register on Monday correct? Also, I've already taken Phys I and Phys II, so would it be a bad idea if I took Chem and Bio my first semester?

I've never used an ebook myself - How does an ebook work out and why is it better than a regular book for OC?

I believe the ebook is accessible online. I believe it allows you to print as well, but you'll want to figure out the details on your own. I saw a classmate read the book from a computer lab.

The content is not better in any way. The ebook is just cheaper. You'll hardly ever use the textbook. I did not open it once during the second semester.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask these questions, but I was reading the website and it had the typical course track that students take (2 years).

My question is, do people fulfill the english and math requirements while attending HCP as well?

I was thinking about taking calculus (refresher thing, A- undergrad) before going into HCP, because it's been 5 years since any math course and taking a calc-based physics class seems like it would wipe the floor with me, as my math understanding stands now. Would this be detrimental to my future applications?

This is the right place to ask. The two year track only refers to the science pre-reqs, I believe. It does not count the English and Math requirements. I'm sure there are HES classes that will satisfy English and Math, but you'll have to figure out if you can handle the load.

If you've taken English or writing courses in undergrad, you probably already satisfy the English requirement. The physics E1A/E1B at HES is not calc-based.

For anyone contemplating an upper level science course, I highly recommend Neurobiology. It starts a little slow, but the subject is fascinating and the professor is great. The course is well run, too.

Funny, I was thinking of which ones I'd like to take and I remember neurobiology being one that looked good. How much previous coursework is required? Just bio/chem/ochem?

I will add to ghostman's advice that the guy who teaches Calc I at HES (Eric Towne) might be the best math teacher you'll ever have. So if you ever feel like refreshing yourself, I highly recommend it.

Funny, I was thinking of which ones I'd like to take and I remember neurobiology being one that looked good. How much previous coursework is required? Just bio/chem/ochem?

Previous coursework always helps in my opinion, but I don't believe you need specific knowledge. The book is outstanding and all the lectures are recorded (distance option), so you can review them as many times as you'd like. The exams are part multiple choice and part problem/short answer. I felt like the multiple choice questions required more info from the book than the lecture.

I loved this course, particularly the second half. Very interesting.

I was wondering the same! If you do figure out how to set up our email address and how to find the syllabi please let me know. We can register on Monday correct? Also, I've already taken Phys I and Phys II, so would it be a bad idea if I took Chem and Bio my first semester?

Yup registration is Monday, 6am! See you in Bio and Chem! Someone else posted we get our official IDs after registration.