Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to transition. New year, new thread.

Happy new year and best of luck to you all. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Good, the other thread was too long.

Just a little over 2 weeks to go! Only 5 days til grades come out!

Hi all! How long does it usually take to hear back after they receive applications?

Good luck with grades, everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that it would take anytime from 2-8 weeks - I know that's a big range but it really depends on what the admissions are dealing with at the time. Plus, you'll have to factor in winter break into predicting when you'll receive anything.

Good luck, folks!

It should matter... plan as though you're in, because they accept everyone who has a bachelors degree.

Grades are out and. . . . no commute tomorrow!! Jan 12th is awesome. : )

Has anybody taken a statistics class before? I'm considering either intro to statistics or fundamentals of biostat and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to taking the intro stat class because the biostat class sounds more relevant to someone going into a health-related career. Also, does anybody have an idea of how heavy the courseload is for these two classes?

Thanks!
QC

Has anybody taken a statistics class before? I'm considering either intro to statistics or fundamentals of biostat and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to taking the intro stat class because the biostat class sounds more relevant to someone going into a health-related career. Also, does anybody have an idea of how heavy the courseload is for these two classes?

Thanks!
QC

I haven't taken one at HES, but I did take one in college. It was required for the psychology major, so it was geared towards "behavioral research" but covered all the typical things. Biostatistics is similar, but geared towards bio and medical research. The general intro class, a psych stats class, and the intro to biostats class should cover the same basic concepts, and the HES website even says that the basic Intro class and the Intro to Biostatistics class cannot be applied towards the same degree - which suggests that they are substantially similar.

Courseload for my college class (at a small highly selective liberal arts college) was significant - lots of problem sets and lab time (using statistics programs) and some real and mock research proposals/methodology/results/analysis of results.

quick question for ya'll: What's the average price per semester and why did you choose this program over your local state school with a formal post-bacc.

I'm trying to decide between this and SUNY Stonybrook.

quick question for ya'll: What's the average price per semester and why did you choose this program over your local state school with a formal post-bacc.

Depends on how many classes you take per semester, and which courses. I took 2 courses a semester, and it ran me around $2,200 (w/o books).

Orgo/Chem/Physics = $1,125 / course
They have other science courses that can run $925 - $975.

Mind you each course is 4 credits, making HES damn affordable. Plus IMO the quality of education is phenomenal. I can't speak highly enough for Organic, in particular, and how it is taught. Definitely a great place to do some post-baccalaureate work. But I live in Boston, sooooo....:)

So I'm taking Bill Anderson's Bio II (Intro. to Organismic and Evolutionary Bio) this spring and had a few questions:

Does he really just lecture out of the book? If so, did you find going to lectures useful? Does he post powerpoints online?

How are exams? I know a few people who were in the spring semester and they seemed fairly freaked out by the exams...could have been because exams are all that comprised the grade for that course, but I wanted to check.

How do labs work? Do you go to lab on either Monday or Wednesday of the lab week, depending on your section, or is it both days? (trying to plan some meetings and trips and this info. would be useful to know before class starts so I can settle up my schedule.)

Thanks in advance!

I already live in Boston, so this was an easy choice. I picked HES over other programs because:

1) the price is ridiculously low compared to the other schools in the area

2) the quality of education - we have *real* Harvard profs. for the most part (at least in the core premed courses), meaning that these professors teach Harvard undergrads and then teach us. Harvard education at CC prices!

3) the students are all very friendly and helpful. There are definitely gunners here but for the most part I've found my fellow students to be eager to help - I think people recognize that helping others (with problem sets, labs, what have you) solidifies their own understanding, and ultimately helps everyone in the long run.

There are a lot of people who drop out because it IS demanding...but med schools seem to know that. I got a B in my physics course but I freaking bled for that B - I've seriously never worked so hard at school in my life and its humbling. You will work very very hard...but it seems to pay off in the end (or so I hope.) Good luck with your decision!

Hey guys. When do you think I should apply if I want to attend in January 2012? Is that possible? or do I have to start in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took E1-a in the fall and I found it to be pretty challenging. I have never taken biology before and I felt pretty overwhelmed by the amount of information we were expected to know for the exams. It would have been manageable if he had given us some kind of direction in class, but we did not have any problem sets or even practice exams written by him (we received last year's practice exams, but they were written by a different professor).

The prof put up all of his powerpoints online, and he mostly lectures straight from the book. That being said, I think that I benefited from going to lecture to understand what topics he would emphasize on the exams.

Lab was a much more reasonable experience. There are about 4-5 lab sessions per semester and a final lab practical. You are given the choice of attending lab on either Monday or Wednesday (last semester we also had Thursday as a choice because of the class size). On weeks when lab is held you go to your lab session and you have the other day off.

I hope this helps!

So I'm taking Bill Anderson's Bio II (Intro. to Organismic and Evolutionary Bio) this spring and had a few questions:

Does he really just lecture out of the book? If so, did you find going to lectures useful? Does he post powerpoints online?

How are exams? I know a few people who were in the spring semester and they seemed fairly freaked out by the exams...could have been because exams are all that comprised the grade for that course, but I wanted to check.

How do labs work? Do you go to lab on either Monday or Wednesday of the lab week, depending on your section, or is it both days? (trying to plan some meetings and trips and this info. would be useful to know before class starts so I can settle up my schedule.)

Thanks in advance!

I took E1-a in the fall and I found it to be pretty challenging. I have never taken biology before and I felt pretty overwhelmed by the amount of information we were expected to know for the exams. It would have been manageable if he had given us some kind of direction in class, but we did not have any problem sets or even practice exams written by him (we received last year's practice exams, but they were written by a different professor).

The prof put up all of his powerpoints online, and he mostly lectures straight from the book. That being said, I think that I benefited from going to lecture to understand what topics he would emphasize on the exams.

Lab was a much more reasonable experience. There are about 4-5 lab sessions per semester and a final lab practical. You are given the choice of attending lab on either Monday or Wednesday (last semester we also had Thursday as a choice because of the class size). On weeks when lab is held you go to your lab session and you have the other day off.

I hope this helps!

Sorry, is Anderson the professor who took over for Fixsen? I read somewhere here that Fixsen no longer taught Bio (meaning the practice exams you received were written by Fixsen?)... is that true?

If you don't mind, how did you end up doing in Anderson's class?

Depends on how many classes you take per semester, and which courses. I took 2 courses a semester, and it ran me around $2,200 (w/o books).

Orgo/Chem/Physics = $1,125 / course
They have other science courses that can run $925 - $975.

Mind you each course is 4 credits, making HES damn affordable. Plus IMO the quality of education is phenomenal. I can't speak highly enough for Organic, in particular, and how it is taught. Definitely a great place to do some post-baccalaureate work. But I live in Boston, sooooo....:)

Thanks for this info. Is it safe to say that $400-ish will cover books and materials for 2 courses/semester? I know books were already super expensive when I was in college not too long ago, but they have probably also skyrocketed since then. I'm also assuming that the books are the same as the undergrad classes, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find used ones, right?

This is exactly the info. I was looking for, thank you so much QueCee!

I hope this helps!

Yes, Anderson took over from Fixsen, and we received Fixsen's practice exams. Anderson used to write questions for the biology GRE so we were told that we could use that for practice questions.

I ended up getting a B+; hopefully things will be smoother this semester! You just really need to put in the time and know basically everything from the book/lecture ....

To answer your question about textbooks: I bought my bio book from ebay, it was an international version, for about $80. It was brand new and was basically the same as the american version (The only difference was the cover). I'm sure you could do the same for other courses, it's even cheaper than buying them used.

Sorry, is Anderson the professor who took over for Fixsen? I read somewhere here that Fixsen no longer taught Bio (meaning the practice exams you received were written by Fixsen?)... is that true?

If you don't mind, how did you end up doing in Anderson's class?

Thanks for this info. Is it safe to say that $400-ish will cover books and materials for 2 courses/semester? I know books were already super expensive when I was in college not too long ago, but they have probably also skyrocketed since then. I'm also assuming that the books are the same as the undergrad classes, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find used ones, right?

Most definitely. It's not like you are buying the Henry's Clinical Diagnostics book, haha. I always got my books on Amazon, and they are probably the cheapest you can find. But yes, that should do the trick -- maybe even get you a few rounds after finals. :thumbup:

Just wondering if anyone has any information about Dr. Fixsen and whether or not he will be teaching Biology again? I am applying to HES to start this coming fall, and I was very excited about Dr. Fixsen's class after reading so many sterling reviews of his teaching.

I know that he is not teaching this year, but is he planning to return?

I already read someone's post on their experience with Dr. Anderson, does anyone else have any feedback on his teaching? I'm sure that he does not compare with Fixsen, but are people still happy and feel like they are benefiting from his class?

Thanks a bunch!

I don't know if Fixsen will ever return. It seemed like Anderson was taking over, not just filling in. I certainly would not wait for him to return before diving into Biology (either at Harvard or elsewhere). Although I hear he is a good lecturer and you will be well prepared for the MCAT Biology section, his exams are killer. You may walk away with a poor class grade in Fixsen's class.

QueCee's feedback on Anderson is pretty spot on. No, I'm not happy with the class. I study entirely from the book and have no clue what will be on his exams. I did well on his first two exams, but realized I did not concentrate on the proper material for the final. I blame myself for not studying better for the final, but I was not happy with certain questions either. Having said that, I still feel I'm learning by studying out of the book (which I think is pretty decent). However, looking at a Fixsen exam makes me realize how much more there is to learn.

Just wondering if anyone has any information about Dr. Fixsen and whether or not he will be teaching Biology again? I am applying to HES to start this coming fall, and I was very excited about Dr. Fixsen's class after reading so many sterling reviews of his teaching.

I know that he is not teaching this year, but is he planning to return?

I already read someone's post on their experience with Dr. Anderson, does anyone else have any feedback on his teaching? I'm sure that he does not compare with Fixsen, but are people still happy and feel like they are benefiting from his class?

Thanks a bunch!

How do you become a candidate for the diploma program? I just checked the "Yes" box in the application indicating I was interested in earning a diploma -- does that mean acceptance into HCP is also an acceptance into the diploma program? (So if I had checked "No" then I would be accepted into HCP, but not the diploma program?) Or do I need to have been enrolled in HCP for a certain amount of time/taken a certain number of classes before I'm officially a diploma candidate?

How do you become a candidate for the diploma program? I just checked the "Yes" box in the application indicating I was interested in earning a diploma -- does that mean acceptance into HCP is also an acceptance into the diploma program? (So if I had checked "No" then I would be accepted into HCP, but not the diploma program?) Or do I need to have been enrolled in HCP for a certain amount of time/taken a certain number of classes before I'm officially a diploma candidate?

To earn the diploma, you are to have not taken any of your pre-medical courses yet. You need to complete them at HES with at least a 3.0 GPA: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/programs/hcp/diploma/

To earn the diploma, you are to have not taken any of your pre-medical courses yet. You need to complete them at HES with at least a 3.0 GPA: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/programs/hcp/diploma/

Oh, I already saw that... it just talks about how you can earn a diploma. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't answer any of my questions about becoming a diploma candidate. Is there a separate application form or anything? Or is checking the "Yes" box in the HCP application enough? And if so, when do you get your ID, e-mail, etc.? Thanks.

I'm wondering some of the same things, serendipityy. I got my admission letter to HCP a couple weeks ago but it didn't talk about logistics of enrolling, becoming a Harvard student, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm leaning toward HES over other programs for next year. I'd also be a diploma candidate.

Also, does anyone have a sense of how many HCP students relocate to Boston for the program?

Hey guys,
I'm currently working on my application. I noticed there's no word limit for the essay, however, I don't want to make it too long or too short. What do you guys think is an appropriate word limit? Thanks!

Hey guys,
I'm currently working on my application. I noticed there's no word limit for the essay, however, I don't want to make it too long or too short. What do you guys think is an appropriate word limit? Thanks!

I would just use the same rule of thumb for applications in general and keep it to two pages or less, preferably less :)

Has anyone taken the Fundamentals of Biostatistics course with Rosner? How was it? How were the lectures? How was the course load and How were the exams? I am trying to decide whether to take the course or just take one online.

I was reading a thread and it looks like people can get rejected from HES. The guy had 2 A's and a B. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/613594-rejected-harvard-extension-school.html

The first three courses are mandatory. Exactly, how difficult are these mandated courses?

Just to draw a distinction, the OP was rejected from the ALB degree program, not HCP. Are you interested in the ALB program? Otherwise, as far as I know, HCP doesn't have a cap on the number of acceptances.

I was reading a thread and it looks like people can get rejected from HES. The guy had 2 A's and a B. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/613594-rejected-harvard-extension-school.html

The first three courses are mandatory. Exactly, how difficult are these mandated courses?

As was noted previously, the person in question was applying for admission into a degree program - for which the pre-reqs are two courses (can be anything, so degree of difficulty is kind of up to you) and what looks to be your standard college writing course.

Though I'm not part of the HCP, from what I've read on this thread and its relatives, it seems that the percentage of HCPers who are also degree-seeking students at HES is very small indeed. Taking science courses a la carte from the Extension School is just a matter of available seats, and not subject to any sort of admission policy - as far as I know.

Has anyone ever taken BIOS E-12 with Viel? How advanced is the content? Would it be appropriate for someone who already has taken Genetics, Biochem, but doesn't have any experience?

For you guys asking about applying, and how to enroll as a Harvard student, etc.... you have to understand just HOW informal the program is. (Which is not at all to say that it is low-quality.) But it is, truly, continuing education - you just sign up... for classes, for HCP. No, despite an application process which appears formal, you cannot be rejected when you apply for HCP, unless maybe you don't have a bachelors degree.

Also - you can join HCP at any point, just keeping in mind when you will be applying for med school, since they have a somewhat flexible "deadline" - you need to have been enrolled by X date in the year before you apply to med school. But, you can take classes without being in HCP, and then enroll in HCP after, say, a year of classes, depending on how long you plan to be at HES.

And, "enrolling" - even if you're in HCP - consists of registering for your classes online (or paper, if for some reason you can't register online.) That's it. It's essentially "rolling admissions" or even "no admissions process." There is no "matriculation" as there would be for a formal degree program. I'm headed into my second semester of classes - one class last semester, and two this semester, and will continue next year. I will likely apply for HCP next year.

For you guys asking about applying, and how to enroll as a Harvard student, etc.... you have to understand just HOW informal the program is. (Which is not at all to say that it is low-quality.) But it is, truly, continuing education - you just sign up... for classes, for HCP. No, despite an application process which appears formal, you cannot be rejected when you apply for HCP, unless maybe you don't have a bachelors degree.

Also - you can join HCP at any point, just keeping in mind when you will be applying for med school, since they have a somewhat flexible "deadline" - you need to have been enrolled by X date in the year before you apply to med school. But, you can take classes without being in HCP, and then enroll in HCP after, say, a year of classes, depending on how long you plan to be at HES.

And, "enrolling" - even if you're in HCP - consists of registering for your classes online (or paper, if for some reason you can't register online.) That's it. It's essentially "rolling admissions" or even "no admissions process." There is no "matriculation" as there would be for a formal degree program. I'm headed into my second semester of classes - one class last semester, and two this semester, and will continue next year. I will likely apply for HCP next year.

People do get "rejected" from the program. From my understanding, their decision is based upon whether it makes sense for an applicant to pursue this particular program. Some specific reasons are very low gpa or too many of the pre-reqs already completed recently (last 5 or so years). They try not to waste your time or money. With that said, HCP sponsorship or enrolling in an HES course are not the issue. As lizzo76 stated, HCP is extremely informal. Getting accepted to medical school depends on a lot of factors. Choose the post-bac program that is best for you in terms of location, cost, rigour, etc.... Don't get lulled into the Harvard name. Many of the course are superb and you will learn a lot about yourself in the process.

Has anyone ever taken BIOS E-12 with Viel? How advanced is the content? Would it be appropriate for someone who already has taken Genetics, Biochem, but doesn't have any experience?

Friends who have taken it have told me that he is a good teacher, who sets the bar high. If you have taken genetics and biochem already, it sounds like you have a solid foundation. You should be fine, but don't underestimate the work. Stay on top of it.

Anyone taking the Neurobiology of Addiction?

How about the Biology of Cancer . . . anyone taking it?

People do get "rejected" from the program. From my understanding, their decision is based upon whether it makes sense for an applicant to pursue this particular program. Some specific reasons are very low gpa or too many of the pre-reqs already completed recently (last 5 or so years). They try not to waste your time or money. With that said, HCP sponsorship or enrolling in an HES course are not the issue. As lizzo76 stated, HCP is extremely informal. Getting accepted to medical school depends on a lot of factors. Choose the post-bac program that is best for you in terms of location, cost, rigour, etc.... Don't get lulled into the Harvard name. Many of the course are superb and you will learn a lot about yourself in the process.

Thanks for the clarification... I guess I was talking too generally. I just saw a thread where a girl (who has both and undergrad and masters degree in Biology) has been advised that HCP is inappropriate for her. I should have said that admission is not a competitive process so people shouldn't stress over it. I see how there can be some relatively rare instances in which they might decide admission is not appropriate. Nevertheless, I believe HES would still let you enroll in whatever classes you wanted (assuming you hadn't already taken them there several times unsuccessfully) - you just might not be able to get the formal sponsorship of HCP.

I was actually planning on attending HES this summer for a MLA degree, but I didn't know that they had a postbacc premed program. I've been to the their website and I was wondering if you can enroll in the diploma program if you have completed some of the pre req's? I just graduated with my BA and I have taken Bio 2, Chem 1, A&P 1, and I wouldn't mind taking them again if they let me in. If they don't let you into the program can you still take the premed classes? Do you pretty much get accepted if you apply? All I had to do was take a Critical Reading and Writing test for the master's program. How does succeeding in this program look to medical school committees? Thanks.

You can enter having done some of the pre-reqs. Its a normal post bacc program for people interested in attending medical school. You sign up, and take the classes. Anyone can join, but the classes are very rigorous and many drop out. If you do the classes, get A's/B's, and are a well intentioned and serious person, they may write you a nice letter of recommendation.

Do about 20 minutes of research and you should be able to find answers to your questions. :)

Hi. I'm considering HES for Fall 2012. I'm a senior at NYU and I completed the pre-health curriculum with a mediocre GPA, which is why I'm going back home to work and take additional courses. Does anybody know about how the rigor and competitiveness of the courses in HES compare to that of a university like NYU? The science classes here were pretty competitive and difficult, and even though I manged to stay afloat, my grades were not outstanding.

Thanks in advance!

I was curious if anyone on the forum is starting a post-bacc program at HES in Fall 2011. I hope to start this fall (in the process of completing and filing my application) and was hoping to get in touch with others who will be starting the program this fall. Ping me if you are.

I am an engineer who is currently working, and I am starting the process of transitioning into the medical field.

Last edited:
Hey cluster!

I'll be joining you in the fall. :)

To my knowledge, the perks are for only diploma candidates in HCP, not just the admitted students/those registered for classes. I'm not a diploma candidate, but I think I should be fine - just need the public library, my own room for studying, and the outdoors for running. Honestly, when I applied to this program, I was concerned mostly about obtaining sponsorship than the minor perks.

That's so cool runnerbee and QrtrLifeCrisis. To answer QLC's question, I plan on going down to the HES office sometime later next week (most likely next Fri). I can find out and let you know. If you have any other questions, let me know, and I can add them to my list and get back to you.

I know, but perks are nice :D.

I think I'll be joining you guys as well (pending my "acceptance" letter).

Still unsure about Harvard Summer V. HES. There's a huge difference in tuition, it seems, and odd course structure. For example, Gen Chem is split into 1 (4 credits) and 2 (4 credits) for HES (at $1,125 each). However, Gen Chem in the Summer appears to be one comprehensive course (8 credits) at $5,280.

Any thoughts on why the difference and how a summer course may look to med adcoms? I'd rather start sooner than later, but with those prices and the potential to look like a slacker, I might hold out for the fall.

The price difference is due to the fact that the summer program is run by Harvard University, while HES during the academic year is the extension school. They are different, albeit closely related, institutions. HES was formed in 1910 to allow people in the surrounding communities without means to gain an education. The symbol of the extension school shows two bundles of wheat, the market price for which ussed to determine the tuition for that semester/year. Clearly, things have changed, but that is its history. In practice, the courses are often taught by the same professors who teach at HES and the curriculm is basically the same. The pace of the summer courses is intense. As for the adcoms, who knows. I doubt the decision to a summer class versus a year long class will have a major impact on whether you will be accepted or not.

Hope that helps.

Quick question for you current HESers --

In terms of candidate perks (http://www.extension.harvard.edu/programs/hcp/diploma/perks.jsp), does that apply to all who participate in the program or just those diploma candidates? I realize that it may be a stupid question because it's listed under diploma candidates weblink, but the language seemed vague when I read the description.

Also, is there any bending of the rule for the diploma candidacy? The only science course I took in college was Intro to Biology, first semester, freshman year, nearly 7 years ago. I plan to retake it.

Thanks!

Give them a call and ask them about the one course. They make the decision.

As for the perks, you need the ID for most of them. If you aren't a dipolma or certificate candidate, you don't get the ID. Silly, I know, but it is the way they work. With respect to libraries, you're printed out enrollment and a license will get you into most of them. Hasn't been a huge problem for me.

Hi. I'm considering HES for Fall 2012. I'm a senior at NYU and I completed the pre-health curriculum with a mediocre GPA, which is why I'm going back home to work and take additional courses. Does anybody know about how the rigor and competitiveness of the courses in HES compare to that of a university like NYU? The science classes here were pretty competitive and difficult, and even though I manged to stay afloat, my grades were not outstanding.

Thanks in advance!

In my experience the rigor of the science courses varies. The 4 basic pre-requisites can be very challenging. The fact that you have been through them before ought to help you a great deal. The upper level courses have been all over the place for me. Some have required a lot of work and have been superbly taught, while others have been very disappointing, but easy. As for competitiveness, HES (the premed courses) are structured to foster cooperation between students. You are only competing with yourself. If your work is of A caliber, you will get the A even if 2/3 of the class also get an A. I think it is one of the best aspects of the place.