Official: Harvard 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard people go through HCP and actually get into top medical schools, but how high are these peoples undergraduate GPA to begin with. I mean these people could have a 3.5 and enroll in HCP and bang they get into top school. How about those people who have like 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 to begin with?

In this case would the HCP be able to help them??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, but if you did the sponsorship successfully at Harvard, are you truly able to get admitted to medical school or do you have to enroll in an SMP and go from there?

I heard people go through HCP and actually get into top medical schools, but how high are these peoples undergraduate GPA to begin with. I mean these people could have a 3.5 and enroll in HCP and bang they get into top school. How about those people who have like 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 to begin with?

In this case would the HCP be able to help them??

For US allo schools 3.0 is pretty much the minimum realistically required to get in. There are exceptions of course, but they're few and far between. DO schools replace grades upon retake, so it's easier to boost your gpa there, plus the standards are lower. So, basically, if you have a 2.3 it will probably be prohibitive to take enough courses to get yourself over 3.0. There are also differences in requirements for sponsorship depending on your gpa. There are plenty of people in the 3.0 range coming in, however, that get into good schools (I'm guessing top schools are somewhat rare in that case, but I'm sure you can figure that out...) People go to HCP for various reasons - some to raise their GPA, some to take the pre-reqs for the first time, so you see a wide range of incoming GPAs

I'm not sure, but if you did the sponsorship successfully at Harvard, are you truly able to get admitted to medical school or do you have to enroll in an SMP and go from there?

If you get sponsored your chances of getting in somewhere are very high. I forget the exact number, but I believe it's around 90% success rate. They don't sponsor people they don't think can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
HES is the actual school through which you take classes. HCP is a program that advises and writes the Committee Letter. They function as your pre-med advisor. If you want to take courses here, you go through HES. If you want sponsorship, you have to apply and go through HCP.

How did you do in the core courses? How long ago did you take them?

I took most of my core courses three years ago. I've been out of school for a year now and I want to go attend the HES but without sponsorship, I don't see the sense in enrolling in this program. I got mostly B's in my core courses with occasional A's and a C in Physics II. So I am really looking for upper level courses or a SMP, but they are very expensive.:oops:

I took most of my core courses three years ago. I've been out of school for a year now and I want to go attend the HES but without sponsorship, I don't see the sense in enrolling in this program. I got mostly B's in my core courses with occasional A's and a C in Physics II. So I am really looking for upper level courses or a SMP, but they are very expensive.:oops:

The sense is in the committee letter. You can definitely apply without a committee letter, but schools do prefer them, and HES' is well regarded. I do know plenty of people who took the classes without getting sponsored though.

if the sponsorship does not work, would it be wise to complete the ALM in Biotechnology?

I just thought that the combo of sponsorship and ALM might be impressive

I just finished the core program this year and am trying to decide between biochemistry and another course (probably human pathophysiology) for the fall, so I'm trying to determine whether or not biochem is more important to take. I noticed some earlier replies about biochem not being worth it after having taken Fixsen's bio, and I've also just heard around the program that it's not the greatest class. In terms of interest level, I'd just prefer to take pathophysiology, but I know biochem is recommended by a lot of schools...

Anyone have an opinion on this?

I went through the same dilemma. I posted on the Allo sub-forum and those that replied suggested Biochem. I know that doesn't help, since they didn't necessarily go through HES, but I thought I'd share.

My two cents . . . take the course that interests you. You more than likely have the extra knowledge from Fixsen's course already. Good luck.

For US allo schools 3.0 is pretty much the minimum realistically required to get in. There are exceptions of course, but they're few and far between. DO schools replace grades upon retake, so it's easier to boost your gpa there, plus the standards are lower. So, basically, if you have a 2.3 it will probably be prohibitive to take enough courses to get yourself over 3.0. There are also differences in requirements for sponsorship depending on your gpa. There are plenty of people in the 3.0 range coming in, however, that get into good schools (I'm guessing top schools are somewhat rare in that case, but I'm sure you can figure that out...) People go to HCP for various reasons - some to raise their GPA, some to take the pre-reqs for the first time, so you see a wide range of incoming GPAs

If you get sponsored your chances of getting in somewhere are very high. I forget the exact number, but I believe it's around 90% success rate. They don't sponsor people they don't think can get in.

Ok so, if u had a really low gpa going INTO the program but u raised it through the program and got a decent mcat...will the committee sponsor u or will they also hold that undergrad gpa over ur head for sponsorship even though u do well in all of their school's courses...

I enrolled into the Human Pathophysiology II @ HES for the fall semester. Just trying to get some feedback on the level of difficulty or the nature of the course.

For anyone who got their chem book already:

What's the difference between the revised version Tucci lists on his syllabus vs. the same Chang textbook offered online?

Are they really trying to make us buy a book sold exclusively at the Coop and revised exclusively for Harvard Extension (shaking my head)

Is anyone else inclined to get their textbook online for a much better price than what the Coop is trying to Hustle on us? Has anyone asked Tucci what the differences are?

Ok so, if u had a really low gpa going INTO the program but u raised it through the program and got a decent mcat...will the committee sponsor u or will they also hold that undergrad gpa over ur head for sponsorship even though u do well in all of their school's courses...

There are specific numeric requirements for sponsorship, with various permutations depending on your stats coming in. Go do some research on the HCP website, you'll find the specifics there, along with lots of other information. Nothing will be "held over" you, it's just a matter of whether you actually have a realistic chance of getting in somewhere. Sponsorship is them saying "we have vetted this applicant and believe they can succeed." so you have to prove to them that that's the case.

For anyone who got their chem book already:

What's the difference between the revised version Tucci lists on his syllabus vs. the same Chang textbook offered online?

Are they really trying to make us buy a book sold exclusively at the Coop and revised exclusively for Harvard Extension (shaking my head)

Is anyone else inclined to get their textbook online for a much better price than what the Coop is trying to Hustle on us? Has anyone asked Tucci what the differences are?

IIRC, the custom edition includes a few extra pages on kinetics, and may also be "stripped down" to exclude chapters that will not be covered in the course (not sure). They figure as long as most students will already be buying a brand new book at the Coop, they may as well customize it just the way they like it. You should be fine with the standard version; the text is more for your own background reading than something used actively in the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone who is starting this fall. I have a question about the Bio Book for Dr. Fixen's class. Has anyone bought the 2nd edition? I heard it was almost identical to the new one. The 3rd edition is 180ish dollars and I don't feel like spending that much.

Also, if anyone has started a study group let me know. I am taking Bio1 and chem 1 this semester. Or if anyone wants to start one PM me.

Hey I'm taking Chem 1 and I'm also taking Physics E1A. Anyone else on here taking Physics for Fall 08?

Hi yall,

yeah we should def. do some kind of study group, I'm taking chem 1 this fall and I live close to Harvard. So if anyone wants to do a group with me PM me :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm also taking physics I and chem I this fall... A study group sounds like a great idea!

It seems everyone is taking Chem and Physics and I'm taking Chem and Bio...I know it's been discussed before about which order it is better to take these classes, because I've used that amazing search button everyone talks about, but maybe something has changed? I Just finished Calc last semester should I take Physics while it is still fresh?:confused:

Tooth - Physics @ HES is not calc based, so that doesn't matter. The standard recommendation is to take physics and chem the first year and bio and orgo the second year because bio is somewhat dependent on chem and bio and orgo somewhat complement each other. That said, if you have good algebra skills and some background in chem you should be fine in bio. I did it as physics in the summer, bio and chem during the year, orgo the next year, it worked fine. Besides, chem is pretty easy, and it's nice to not have the two hardest classes at the same time.

Oops, meant to add - when class starts and you have access to the class websites, there will be a forum area that people usually use to find study partners. (Not that this can't work too.)

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start my second year at HES. I took a nontraditional route for a nontraditional student. I took OChem and Physics last year and I am taking Gen Chem and Neurobio this semester. My home university offers Gen Chem all in one semester (same with bio), and you take an elective course to fulfill the other semester. I thought I'd be lost if I tried to jump into the second semester of Gen Chem without the first so that's why I'm retaking the course. Anyways, having been in the program for a year, feel free to PM me with any questions and/or interest in forming a study group for Gen Chem. Enjoy your last week of freedom...

Thanks for the advice! I did switch it made more sense to me when I thought about it.

As for the book, has anyone bought the physics combo pack? The guy I talked to there told me that the Vol 1 and Vol 2 were for both Physics 1 and Physics 2. Can anyone clarify this? The combo pack is $212 :thumbdown:

oOo where are all the sponsorship students!?

im enrolled in the physics and chem class too for fall 08.

as for the combo pack, i think im just gonna buy the vol 1 book for now which is sold serperately for $80 then next semester ill get Vol 2.

Last edited:
The guy at the Coop said he wasn't sure if they were going to go to a new edition next year. The book was reprinted in 2005, as all of you know going through college that is senior citizen status for a book not to be published again. So, I was going to by Vol 1 as well but I'm not sure if the MCAT physics prep book was required. Which you can either buy in the combo pack or online at Amazon for 9 bucks or less. The guy at the coop said it was but who knows....

As for the Chem 1 book a pervious poster a page back said that the Harvard edition just cut out a few things. The power of Harvard :rolleyes:. There is another book that is required to that is on back-order that should be here the week of class, again quoting the guy at the Coop.

Finally starting! I can't wait.

^^^^Hey Toothsome...when you referred to an additional textbook for Chem 1 being on back order, are you talking about the lab manual or the logan notes? Because if you were, these are available in pdf on the course website.

I think it's the lab manual.

Anyone know anything about the Physics book? I'm thinking i'm just going to buy the pack.

Hi, if anyone wants to buy Chang (the special edition) for Chem, PM me. I just used it for the summer course and don't need it anymore. I will sell it for half the new price.

Here we go. . . . Good luck, everyone. :)

Hey Everyone! I'm starting this program with Gen Chem and Physics this fall, (actually starting tomorrow...), study groups sound like a great idea.

Has anyone already taken these courses? Do you have any feedback or advice? Thanks!

anyone commuting from outside of boston to HES?

Hey guys -

I've been up here in Cambridge for almost two weeks now and haven't gotten word one from Fixsen, Owen, et al. about any sort of orientation or info meeting. I had a one-on-one with Owen and had asked him at that point if there was any anything I needed to attend prior to the start of classes. He said no. What am I missing here? I checked the website and couldn't find anything. The lines of communication don't really seem to be open.

I'm not looking for any hand holding from HES, but basic info like an introduction and how to get my ID would be useful...

contact the ext school, they will let you know what you need and have to have picked up.

contact the ext school, they will let you know what you need and have to have picked up.

Thanks for responding to my post, whosthis. I guess my question though is more rhetorical than anything. I can certainly get whatever info I need by calling. I suppose I expected HES to reach out in some very basic way to their students prior to the start of classes, but I guess not. Not a big deal.

Hello, for those of you who have experience in the HES HCP, what's the best avenue to form study groups?

And just to toss it out there...is anyone interested in forming a study group for any of the following classes? (PM me if you're interested)

Human pathophys 2
Immunology 1
Human phys 1
Neurobio

Hey guys -

I've been up here in Cambridge for almost two weeks now and haven't gotten word one from Fixsen, Owen, et al. about any sort of orientation or info meeting. I had a one-on-one with Owen and had asked him at that point if there was any anything I needed to attend prior to the start of classes. He said no. What am I missing here? I checked the website and couldn't find anything. The lines of communication don't really seem to be open.

I'm not looking for any hand holding from HES, but basic info like an introduction and how to get my ID would be useful...
u probably missed the letter that said everything at HES is very basic and there is no orientation. in fact the letter was your orientation. and i dont think HES students get an ID card. from what i have been reading, you have to just carry around your class reg.

someone correct me if wrong.

u probably missed the letter that said everything at HES is very basic and there is no orientation. in fact the letter was your orientation. and i dont think HES students get an ID card. from what i have been reading, you have to just carry around your class reg.

someone correct me if wrong.

Got the letter. As far as ID, you get one if you're a diploma candidate.

I'm pretty diligent about fact finding. My post was meant as a think aloud to try and get some feedback from 2nd year students about communication from the HCP office. If there generally isn't any communication, I can live with that. I just thought it would be > 0.

hey...is anyone currently in Biochemistry? I'm hoping to start a study group...or join one.....PM me!

I'm taking Chem E1A and Bio E1A this semester at HES. I'm a ALB candidate. How's everyone doing so far and is anyone interested in doing some studying or study groups?

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to go about shadowing a physician? I wanted to start getting some hours clocked in, but I'm not sure how to go about it... Any input would be good at this point. Thanks...

def. studying and trying to make good study groups....this semester people seem particularly unfriendly.....bio's atmosphere was def. much more collaborative.

I'm looking to take classes at HES this coming fall. How many classes per semester (if one isn't considering employment and just volunteering on the weekends) is manageable? Like if I were to treat it as if I were going to my undergrad, I would take 4-5 classes. But how possible is that for HES courses?

Thanks! :cool:

Hello all,

A few of us HCP'ers are getting together after Chem class tomorrow night (Thursday, October 2nd) at John Harvard's for a drink or two...

A lot of us are new here in town and haven't had time to socialize so I thought I'd put together an informal "get together" so we can get to know each other and/or mull over our problem set experiences.

Hope you can join us - 33 Dunster Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Amina

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to go about shadowing a physician? I wanted to start getting some hours clocked in, but I'm not sure how to go about it... Any input would be good at this point. Thanks...

Bringham and Women's seems to have a pretty involved volunteer program tailored to medical career exploration.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/volunteer/premedical.aspx

I'm signed up for the orientation and plan to volunteer at this program.

As an aside, anybody else have any experience with BWH and this volunteer program?

Oh yes, and another question.

I failed to withdraw from a class I took at Harvard Summer School while in undergrad (and subsequently got an E). If i were to take classes after graduating my undergraduate institution, does anyone know if that E will affect my postbac section on the AMCAS? Or will that E go into the undergraduate section, even if I didn't use that class to apply transfer credit to my undergrad studies?

Thanks again!

People!! we need to form an online or whatever kind of PHYSICS STUDY GROUP.....the homework can get very annoying sometimes and it would be better if some of us work together to get these problems right..... pm me with questions or whatever for physics or chem and we'll take it from there. :cool:

Oh yes, and another question.

I failed to withdraw from a class I took at Harvard Summer School while in undergrad (and subsequently got an E). If i were to take classes after graduating my undergraduate institution, does anyone know if that E will affect my postbac section on the AMCAS? Or will that E go into the undergraduate section, even if I didn't use that class to apply transfer credit to my undergrad studies?

Thanks again!

AMCAS calculates your sci and non-sci gpas by year of college, post-bacc, and graduate. They then calculate a total undergrad and grad sci and non-sci gpa. If the course in question was taken prior to your graduation from college, it will not impact the post-bacc - it will hit your undergrad by year and your total undergrad (sci or non-sci), and your total undergrad (both sci and non-sci). All courses for credit are fair game.

I'm thinking of going to HES after graduating in May. Is it possible to take 3 classes, given that I don't plan to have a job, but am volunteering once a week? I'm thinking about re-taking Bio and Orgo, and taking Pre-Calc (then Calc I in the spring). Is this doable?

Thanks.