Official: Harvard 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm thinking of going to HES after graduating in May. Is it possible to take 3 classes, given that I don't plan to have a job, but am volunteering once a week? I'm thinking about re-taking Bio and Orgo, and taking Pre-Calc (then Calc I in the spring). Is this doable?

Sounds reasonable to me. Bio and Orgo can be very demanding, but if you learned a lot when you took them before, that should take some of the pressure off. As long as pre-calc is not especially hard for you, it's doable. Just make sure you can do it and get solid A's; otherwise re-taking them is a waste of time.

I've known people with no job who studied day and night for two core sciences, but others who piled the same two classes on top of a full-time job. It depends a lot on your preparation, the support you have, your discipline, and your raw ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone starting HES Spring 2009 that will be taking upper level science classes?
I am also looking for a roommate for spring, please send me a msg asap. I plan on moving to Boston at the end of December or beginning January.
Also, has anybody taken Developmental Biology?

How many of you work while doing this, and what do you do? I'm looking for some sort of research job and want to take 3 classes next year (I've already taken 2 of the classes, so it shouldn't be as hard). My questions:

1. Does this sound like too much?
2. How did you find research jobs/opportunities?
3. I will have 1 class to take whatever I want in both the fall and spring, what would you all recommend (if I have taken all the prereqs, but not biochem)?
4. Where are you all living this year, how much are you paying, and how do you like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

I plan on taking my pre-med required courses starting summer of 09.. somewhere! I'm applying to some postbac programs (1 yr) and was wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts and advice on finishing all the requirements in one year + a summer at HES? I'm thinking chem in the summer, bio/physics/orgo in the fall and spring and take mcat in may or june and apply at the same time.

It seems like ppl discourage doing these courses in a year at HES. I understand its rigorous and that doing it in two years is a better idea (for many reasons). I'd be curious to hear if ppl think the STRUCTURE, advising/handholding at these 1 yr programs (BM, Goucher, Scripps) is the critical factor that helps students do it in 1 yr vs places like HES where you basically have to do everything yourself.

Thanks so much!!

and good luck to everyone!!!

I plan on taking my pre-med required courses starting summer of 09.. somewhere! I'm applying to some postbac programs (1 yr) and was wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts and advice on finishing all the requirements in one year + a summer at HES? I'm thinking chem in the summer, bio/physics/orgo in the fall and spring and take mcat in may or june and apply at the same time.

It seems like ppl discourage doing these courses in a year at HES. I understand its rigorous and that doing it in two years is a better idea (for many reasons). I'd be curious to hear if ppl think the STRUCTURE, advising/handholding at these 1 yr programs (BM, Goucher, Scripps) is the critical factor that helps students do it in 1 yr vs places like HES where you basically have to do everything yourself.

I did the one-year track starting with summer gen chem. The classes themselves, I felt, were plenty structured and, apart from bio, kept up on you from week to week so that no one fell behind. Having everything fresh in my mind for the MCAT was a huge advantage. What was sorely lacking, though, was anything extracurricular. From finding volunteer opportunities to MCAT prep and putting together my application, I was on my own and clueless. This resulted in perhaps a bit weaker of an application, but did nothing to hinder me from finishing in a year.

I recall Bryn Mawr, in contrast, having a binder full of volunteer opportunities passed down from outgoing students. The handholding, I thought, was most helpful for extracurricular issues. Once you've planned your coursework, though, individual courses will have their own structure for you no matter where you go. You also have to bear in mind that while Harvard casts a wide net, most formal post-bacc programs like these hand-pick precisely the students they are most certain will succeed.

When I was first exploring programs, I thought the extra handholding and advising would be critical for me in ultimately getting accepted, but looking back now, I see it as basically dropping an extra fifteen grand for a little advice now and then.

[edit]

Last edited:
I did the one-year track starting with summer gen chem. The classes themselves, I felt, were plenty structured and, apart from bio, kept up on you from week to week so that no one fell behind. Having everything fresh in my mind for the MCAT was a huge advantage. What was sorely lacking, though, was anything extracurricular. From finding volunteer opportunities to MCAT prep and putting together my application, I was on my own and clueless. This resulted in perhaps a bit weaker of an application, but did nothing to hinder me from finishing in a year.

I recall Bryn Mawr, in contrast, having a binder full of volunteer opportunities passed down from outgoing students. The handholding, I thought, was most helpful for extracurricular issues. Once you've planned your coursework, though, individual courses will have their own structure for you no matter where you go. You also have to bear in mind that while Harvard casts a wide net, most formal post-bacc programs like these hand-pick precisely the students they are most certain will succeed.

When I was first exploring programs, I thought the extra handholding and advising would be critical for me in ultimately getting accepted, but looking back now, I see it as basically dropping an extra fifteen grand for a little advice now and then.

Thanks so much for your reply, usethe4ce.
Did you take the MCAT in the spring/summer and prepare for it while you were taking physics/orgo/bio? How was that?

Also would you say that the HCP advisers / professors are helpful and supportive if you are proactive? If you seek their advice on things like what kind of volunteer experience / clinical research would make an application stronger etc, do you think they would be helpful?

Did you find that HCP /Dr. Fixsen were disapproving of the fact that you did it in a year and therefore were less helpful? I have heard that they disapprove of ppl attempting the whole thing in 1 year and my concern is that I will be in his bad books by going against his advice. I'm assuming he can play a strong role in your committee letters etc.

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much for your reply, usethe4ce.
Did you take the MCAT in the spring/summer and prepare for it while you were taking physics/orgo/bio? How was that?

Also would you say that the HCP advisers / professors are helpful and supportive if you are proactive? If you seek their advice on things like what kind of volunteer experience / clinical research would make an application stronger etc, do you think they would be helpful?

Did you find that HCP /Dr. Fixsen were disapproving of the fact that you did it in a year and therefore were less helpful? I have heard that they disapprove of ppl attempting the whole thing in 1 year and my concern is that I will be in his bad books by going against his advice. I'm assuming he can play a strong role in your committee letters etc.

I took the MCAT just after finals. I put all my energy into thoroughly mastering the courses and getting an A, and by then there was not much more preparation to do besides verbal/writing. The approach is not for everyone but it worked well for me.

If you want to meet with either of the program directors (Fixsen or Peterson) for discussion and advice, they are always welcoming. They will help you plan your coursework, give some idea of the strength of your application and what you need to improve, and so forth. They were only unhelpful about particulars such as how to go about getting a research job. Students come to them with a wide variety of situations, and they know most people will just do whatever they really want regardless of advice. They don't sugar-coat it either; if they think your chances for med school are slim to none, they will say so, rather than stringing you along. I think they have sort of a fatherly concern that too many students rush to finish in a year, take on way too much, and crash and burn. Hence the general advice, but each person is unique. If you can do it all in a year successfully, I really doubt anyone would hold it against you.

Browsing through the HES offered classes, I feel like they have limited Math/Psych classes (where is statistics???). The classes they offer, is it just a limited scope of all the classes at Harvard? Since they all are in the early evening/late evening time frame? Because I really want to take Biostatistics or Statistics, but I don't see it!

Browsing through the HES offered classes, I feel like they have limited Math/Psych classes (where is statistics???). The classes they offer, is it just a limited scope of all the classes at Harvard? Since they all are in the early evening/late evening time frame? Because I really want to take Biostatistics or Statistics, but I don't see it!

Yes, the extension school is a limited selection tailored toward adults with professional goals rather than math majors. You can find statistics under statistics (STAT-E50). Up until this year they always had biostatistics too (STAT-E102), but I guess the professor is on sabbatical (?).

http://extension.harvard.edu/courses/stat.jsp

ah, okay thanks! :D

it didn't occur to me to check if there were a separate statistics section...

Has anyone ever taken this class: History and Ethics in Biotechnology? I'm considering taking it online next semester to get a feel for things before I fully commit to the post bac program. Are there tests or papers? Recommended?

Has anyone ever taken this class: History and Ethics in Biotechnology? I'm considering taking it online next semester to get a feel for things before I fully commit to the post bac program. Are there tests or papers? Recommended?

Yes, I took it in 2006 when I decided to go back to school to finish my Bachelor's degree. Everyone is assigned a TA for coursework, but Dr.Weidman is very approachable and always answers emails. Her lectures are really interesting and you can download from the class website to watch at home if you don't want to go to class. No exams, only papers, but be prepared for a lot of reading...I think we read about 6 or 7 books. PM me if you have any more questions! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently (literally 2 minutes ago) got my acceptance letter into the program. I am no going to be in the Diploma program since I've taken some studies. But I was just wondering for the people who are currently there, how are you financing your education--loans? working (full or part)? rich parents?

thanks

Hey jonu3, I was wondering how long it took to get your acceptance? When did you apply, did you interview, etc? I applied a couple of weeks ago but I just wanted a ballpark figure. Thanks.

From what I've read about HES so far, it seems like an awesome program. I have a few questions about it though.

Does anyone know what percent of those starting the program end up getting sponsorship? I know there's a certain criteria to be met but based on their grading styles how many people ultimately win sponsorship? Is the program a supportive one or one that weeds people out like mad? Also, does anyone know what percentage of people who finish matriculate to med school?

Is HES a remedial kind of program or is it a free-for-all crapshoot like the VCU program?

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I don't think I've seen the answer posted to this question before on the HES thread... forgive me if it has!

I have a question about labs. Do you need to take two semesters of lab for each science class, i.e., bio, chem, orgo, physics? If you just have to take one semester of lab for each science class, does HES offer the labs during the fall and the spring, so that you have the option of taking it either in the fall or spring?

If I go to HES, I'm thinking of doing my classes in one year but the thought of doing 3 labs on top of the 3 courses in the fall is a bit daunting.

thanks!

Hey jonu3, I was wondering how long it took to get your acceptance? When did you apply, did you interview, etc? I applied a couple of weeks ago but I just wanted a ballpark figure. Thanks.

Well I applied in either late September or early October so it took a little more than a month. Some other people though applied closer to the program start date and heard within 2 weeks

Hey folks,

I don't think I've seen the answer posted to this question before on the HES thread... forgive me if it has!

I have a question about labs. Do you need to take two semesters of lab for each science class, i.e., bio, chem, orgo, physics? If you just have to take one semester of lab for each science class, does HES offer the labs during the fall and the spring, so that you have the option of taking it either in the fall or spring?

If I go to HES, I'm thinking of doing my classes in one year but the thought of doing 3 labs on top of the 3 courses in the fall is a bit daunting.

thanks!

Lab is part of each semester. For chem, orgo, and physics, you also have section and another review section each week that are very useful. The hours add up very quickly. I'm not sure if bio has the same format. However, it does have lab each semester, too.

From what I've read about HES so far, it seems like an awesome program. I have a few questions about it though.

Does anyone know what percent of those starting the program end up getting sponsorship? I know there's a certain criteria to be met but based on their grading styles how many people ultimately win sponsorship? Is the program a supportive one or one that weeds people out like mad? Also, does anyone know what percentage of people who finish matriculate to med school?

Is HES a remedial kind of program or is it a free-for-all crapshoot like the VCU program?

I don't know the exact answers to these questions, but I can tell you that there has been significant attrition from my physics class this semester (it's the only pre-req that I'm taking, so I don't have a frame of reference for the other subjects). I would guess that about half of the class has either dropped the class or simply stopped coming to lectures.

This isn't surprising based on the nature of the program and its business model. When you essentially let anyone in (keeping tuition low), but also keep the courses relatively demanding, there is a good chance that you're going to lose a lot of people. I got to know a bunch of the people who dropped out of the program, and I have to say that I think a good portion of them were humanities majors who weren't prepared to accept a science workload and probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

That said, if you're motivated, I do not think that gaining sponsorship is unreasonably hard. The profs go out of their way to help you. The key is NOT to treat the program like night school - treat it like a legit undergraduate year where class needs to be a first priority. I'm in the program for mostly remedial purposes ( I needed to take a few of the prereqs, but mostly needed to raise my science gpa with more advanced classes). It's worked out well for me so far. If you have questions, feel free to PM.

Lab is part of each semester. For chem, orgo, and physics, you also have section and another review section each week that are very useful. The hours add up very quickly. I'm not sure if bio has the same format. However, it does have lab each semester, too.

Thanks a lot for answering my question.

Do you know if HES publishes stats on what % of their sponsored applicants matriculate into medical school? I always thought that HES was looked upon favorably by medical schools but one of my mentors told me to seriously reconsider going to HES. He said that classes taken through "extension" schools are not looked upon well and that it would be detrimental to my application. He urged me to find out what % of students of applicants actually matriculate and also find out if they are competitive for the top medical schools.

I think he's wrong...but was wondering if ppl knew of such stats?

Hey there! I have a question about class scheduling in the HCP. Are labs held on the same night as the lecture or is it on another night? For a class like chem where there is lecture, Dis and lab - how is that scheduled? Are you given an option to choose what would work best for your schedule from a variety of times or are you assigned? Also, are they all at night? weekdays? anything on the weekend? Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks a lot for answering my question.

Do you know if HES publishes stats on what % of their sponsored applicants matriculate into medical school? I always thought that HES was looked upon favorably by medical schools but one of my mentors told me to seriously reconsider going to HES. He said that classes taken through "extension" schools are not looked upon well and that it would be detrimental to my application. He urged me to find out what % of students of applicants actually matriculate and also find out if they are competitive for the top medical schools.

I think he's wrong...but was wondering if ppl knew of such stats?

Hi, there. I do not believe that they publish any stats. I have heard several times that it is rather high. The best bet would be to call HCP and ask. They have a better sense of the big picture, since they write the Committee Letters and know all the students applying.

As for your mentor's perspective on extension schools, I do not believe that his standards apply to HES. The quality of the core courses are high and very challenging. You are not simply guaranteed an A if you show up and do the work. They require students to think and synthesize the material. I was extremely impressed with the caliber of the instructors (some of whom are active at Harvard in well deserved positions (not HES)). I am specifically referring to Chem and Orgo. Many students that go through this program go to excellent medical schools.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your decision.

Hey there! I have a question about class scheduling in the HCP. Are labs held on the same night as the lecture or is it on another night? For a class like chem where there is lecture, Dis and lab - how is that scheduled? Are you given an option to choose what would work best for your schedule from a variety of times or are you assigned? Also, are they all at night? weekdays? anything on the weekend? Thank you so much in advance!

They do offer options for both Section and labs. You generally sign up for them on the first day of class (Choices #1 -3) and then they assign it based on availability. I worked full time and was able to fit them in. They are aware that many of us are not full time students and they do their best to accomodate it. Sections are often available on the same day as the class. I think physics and orgo offered a lab the same day. Chem had one option on the weekend first semester and bio has in built into the class time. The options include day, evening, and sometimes weekends. Keep in mind that the specifics will change depending on the number of students and the TFs. The take home message is that it is doable, albeit painful at times. : )

would the applicant be in good shape if he or she complete the sponsorship and also get a ALM in biotechnology from harvard?

I asked because my undergraduate GPA was so screwed up, like around 2.0. I haven't calculate it yet, but i think it's around there.

Just figured I'd say hello! I am planning on starting at Harvard next fall (2009), but I'm looking to move up there in May so that I can look for a job, find my way around, etc. before school starts. I'll be looking for a place to live, so anyone that knows of someone looking for a roommate, let me know! I'm a 26 year old guy from Texas, who is lots of fun...but also knows that work and school come first. I also just want to say that I have gotten a ton of info from this forum, and I really appreciate everyone taking time to talk about all of the different options for post-bacs. I know it really helped me to make my decision to go to Harvard Extension.

Anyone else looking to start at Harvard next fall? If so, give a shout out! :)

Hello,

This question is for those who have already attended the program. If you DID NOT work full time (and don't have piles of money sitting in the bank) did you end up having to take out private loans to cover cost of living (food, rent, etc..). I've heard people say that working full time is not a good idea, to others saying its hard but doable, I would like to be able to focus on class as much as possible AND not go into debt. I tried to find some answers to this on the previous years posts but couldn't find it...I looked for a long time though so I might have glazed over it.
Thanks!

if anyone needs the general chemistry book that tucci uses let me know i have it for sale

Hey guys,
I just got my acceptance to the HCP at Harvard this week! Who else is going to be starting this fall?

Is it stupid that I am taking classes on my own at HES? I didn't apply to the program because I only needed to take Phys II, Orgo I and II. I figured I would just take them informally as well as some upper level science courses. I have a cGPA of 2.9 so I wanted to just take my pre-reqs, raise my GPA to 3.0+ then apply to SMP after MCATs.

Was this not the best path? Should I have applied to the formal program, and if so, would I still be able to and what are the general admission requirements (Avg. Stats)?

Any help would be awesome, thanks alot!!

Hi. Please come share your experiences and wisdom in the Official Harvard 2010 thread. Thanks!