Official: Harvard 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I have heard, Immunology is challenging. If Human Phys I is the course held on Saturdays, I heard it wasn't all that great and not as challenging as many of the other science courses. I don't know anything about the other two. I hope someone else chimes in for you.
I just met with Fixsen to talk about upper level science courses and he suggested that Immunology should not be a class I go for...(something about the class being challenging for students and the professor to teach)
he suggested classes with Viel and the like (Kirby teaches Physio and I heard its a nice in depth review of what Fixsen covers and the course is pretty fair). Also: Comparative Anatomy & Development (embryology) taught by Rebecca W. (she's fixsen's star TF for Bio 1a & 1b)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I had a question. I'm a low gpa person too but I've already taken my Pre med courses and did really badly. Is this program for people like me or for nontraditional students who are new to the Pre-med game and have never taken the courses before.

Thanks!
they're for both, scroll to page #2 of this topic and you'll see the FAQ's being answered: yours is one of them.
One question to ask yourself if you decide to take your premeds again (repeating courses) is...did you not do well because the class was taught terribly and you tried to learn as best you could (my situation) or do you think it was a great course and you can teach yourself via your notes, textbook, syllabus
You could save yourself a lot of money by just sitting in on the courses you've taken at HES and re-learning things via notes you take during class, reviewing your old course notes and your old textbook. The only downside is that you don't boost your GPA until you take upper level courses (which require a strong background on the Premeds)...so if you feel like you can do it on your own (teaching yourself the basics then moving forward with upper levels in the following semester) dont take them.
In my case, I'm retaking them because I never really learned my pre med reqs well the first place. I want to create a solid foundation for myself and move on with my advanced science courses to solidify my foundation further. I'm one of those that is also taking their time with the program to make sure I pull in the right grades so take my advice with a grain of salt

welcome to the club polkadots, nice to know there will be another cali girl in the program :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to check the status of my application..

Do they have a person I can contact by email or phone?

I just met with Fixsen to talk about upper level science courses and he suggested that Immunology should not be a class I go for...(something about the class being challenging for students and the professor to teach)
he suggested classes with Viel and the like (Kirby teaches Physio and I heard its a nice in depth review of what Fixsen covers and the course is pretty fair). Also: Comparative Anatomy & Development (embryology) taught by Rebecca W. (she's fixsen's star TF for Bio 1a & 1b)

Thanks for sharing Fixsen's advice. :thumbup: I was leaning toward Immuno for the Fall.

For those already in Boston - I'm starting the HCP in the fall, but I'm not moving until August - do you think it'll be too late by then to secure an apartment (roommate situation)?

I understand that ideally, I should be looking for a place now, but it seems such a waste to pay rent over the summer when I'm not going to be staying there.

Please advise.

So i visited harvard a month ago and saw the science building.....why does it look like crap....lol my small private college looked better than that! compared to the other buildings at harvard it looks soo run down. and there are pieces of notebook paper that say "physics 1" ect.... is it just for extension students or do all harvard undergrads take their science classes there. only reason im asking is because im taking neurobio in the summer and my class is in harvard hall and not the science center. it was just kinda weird., but whatever.....

Good news.. got my acceptance letter for the HCP program. Now I have to decide whether or not I'm going.

Is anyone is starting the program this summer? :)

so i was doing some research and some people on the forums say that extension students are allowed to enter widener if they present their registration card or if they purchase a special privilages card. Well, according to the website, it says you can only go 6 times. is it different for ext. students? how much is it anyway? this really bites if its 6 times....

maybe im confused..... is it special access to a more private room or is it the entire library.

http://hcl.harvard.edu/info/borrowing/card_rr_privileges.html

so i was doing some research and some people on the forums say that extension students are allowed to enter widener if they present their registration card or if they purchase a special privilages card. Well, according to the website, it says you can only go 6 times. is it different for ext. students? how much is it anyway? this really bites if its 6 times....

maybe im confused..... is it special access to a more private room or is it the entire library.

http://extension.harvard.edu/2007-08/resources/libraries.jsp

I haven't actually tried this, though I did the 6 times thing years ago before I was a student. Supposedly you can use the reading room, but not enter the stacks or check out books.

this is still confusing b/c the ext. website says you can get a privilage card and get unlimited use of widener. vs the 6 times widnener says. maybe its 6 times fo a private conference room in widener......

has anyone that is an ext. student gone to widener, what did you have to do? thanks

this is still confusing b/c the ext. website says you can get a privilage card and get unlimited use of widener. vs the 6 times widnener says. maybe its 6 times fo a private conference room in widener......

has anyone that is an ext. student gone to widener, what did you have to do? thanks

Yes. Go during regular business hours with your registration and they will direct you to the appropriate office. They will give you a card that will provide you with access to the reading room and the general areas. Keep in mind that Harvard has many libraries. Some will give you a specific access card and others will ask for your registration - carry it with you at all times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to link up with my fellow New Yorkers and meetup for drinks before heading out to Boston this fall

- holla' at me at [email protected]

So far, I've been in touch with two people.....

Don't take immuno @ HCP - everyone I've ever known that took it said it was dreadfully hard. It's supposedly more than you will learn about immuno in medical school (which means it's also probably irrelevant).

For Widener - I studied there for most of my first semester (a lot more than 6 times). You can go whenever they're open and use their computers, just no priveledges to check out books. Also, avoid the food in the basement cafeteria . . . although that is a good place to have a laid back study group (make a peep in the reading room and you may be shot). Another option is to make friends with someone who has a Harvard ID - they can check you in as a guest to any library. You also have access to the library in the science center with proof of registration.

The science building is so ugly that Cambridge tried to prevent Harvard from building it (so I'm told). If you look from far enough away, you can see a gigantic metal spider if you're not already creeped out enough.

I need someone to share an apartment with me for the 08-09 school year at HES. I live in California and am not moving out there until early september but already found a potential apartment. PM me if you want to talk.

Hey, I will be starting the postbac program in fall 08 as well. Are you working at all? I work 3 12's a week... and am wondering if I'll eventually need to go part time to be able to really handle all of this. Any advice would be great thanks!

Good luck to everyone in the program! I finished it in June 2007. I started with Gen Chem in the summer of 2006 and took Bio/Orgo/Physics in the 06-07 academic year while also working a 20 hour/week job doing Clinical Research and volunteering 3 hours/week on a peds floor at a local hospital. I had a rough but rewarding year. Though this is a do-it-yourself program, I got a lot out of it and will be attending a top medical school in a couple of months. :)

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm moving from NYC (in August) and I'm looking for an apartment/roomate - if anyone has any lead/info, I would really appreciate it. I can be reached at [email protected].

About me:

26, F, aspiring dental student. My undergrad was in English/Journalism, but I currently work for an A/V rental company. My boss is letting me work via email and phone, with biweekly trips back to NYC, so paying rent won't be an issue.

I'm easy to live with - neat, responsible, not too many hang ups, no drama and I'm looking for the same in a roommate. I'm not looking for a best friend, but it would be great to have a friendly, mutually-respectful relationship as I won't know anyone in Boston.

If you want to get an idea about me, look me at on facebook Amina S. Kangiwa.

i usually hear mostly of students that have undergrad degrees other than science that enter HES/HCP Has anyone that has a poor undergrad science GPA and that has done really well in the program got into med school?

I'm also starting the HCP this year although I will be taking chemistry this summer through the summer school. I have a Bachelor of Music in Performance and look forward to getting back to the sciences again.

In terms of finding places to live, definitely check Craigslist every day for what you are looking for. Just be careful of all the scams. You can't get a two bedroom in downtown for 800. There's also www.onmarketboston.com, and just searching for roommates that can keep your cost down. Boston and the outskirts are far from being the most expensive places to live (ever try San Francisco!?) but they aren't cheap either. Most brokers will tell you that you can't find a studio for under 1100 or a 1 bedroom for under 1300. I just signed a lease for a sizable 1BR downtown Boston in a fairly good location for 900/month but decided on a slightly larger place in a quieter part of Somerville for 950/month. Also, for most apartments in MA, it is the law that the landlord pays for hot water (unless they can meter it separately which most can't). Trust me, it's good to know.

Is it possible to defer your admittance/acceptance to the HCP? Or do you have to re-apply later?

I'm actually still an undergrad but have all intention of applying to HES HCP either later this year or next year depending on if another opportunity pops up.

I had a couple of straightforward questions:

1) Do students that complete the program tend to go to the medical school of their choice (or one of their top medical schools, depending on their, let's say, top ten)?

2) Are most students in the program involved in clinical and/or biomedical research?

Any answers would be great. And thanks for the posts above - incredible informative and really helped me make my choice for my postbac!

I'm actually still an undergrad but have all intention of applying to HES HCP either later this year or next year depending on if another opportunity pops up.

1) Do students that complete the program tend to go to the medical school of their choice (or one of their top medical schools, depending on their, let's say, top ten)?

2) Are most students in the program involved in clinical and/or biomedical research?

Any answers would be great. And thanks for the posts above - incredible informative and really helped me make my choice for my postbac!

1) Hard to say. I have friends from HES who are going to top 10/20 programs, but they were simply brilliant (e.g. Oxford scholars). I, on the other hand, really have no chance at a top 10, not that I cared too much. It's a postbacc that accepts nearly everyone who applies, so you're going to have a broad range of undergrad/professional experiences. That said, if your undergrad background makes you competitive for Harvard/Hopkins, HES will absolutely not hold you back from getting in there. Of those I know who've taken the MCAT after the program, almost all have done extraordinarily well.

2) Most students work. Not necessarily in research (after all, you're doing premed requirements, what kind of science background do you have for science professionally?). Some part time, some full time, although pretty much all my friends were full-time, and included working in a social science department at Harvard, a non-profit, a low-income healthcare clinic, public health research, retail, and foodservice. So it really runs the gamut. It doesn't matter too much if you work in the medical or a scientific field, you just need to make sure you have some sort of clinical work, and since Boston must have the most hospitals per capita in the world, that can be found pretty easily.

As stated, it's a big enough program to get all types. There are people that go to HMS and WashU along with people that just try to get into a Caribbean school. I would say that less than half of people applying to med school in general go to the medical school of their choice - they choose from the places they actually get in.

Research varies - I've known people in basic science, but most (including myself) were in a more clinical research setting. This depends on a lot of things - if your app needs it, etc.

i usually hear mostly of students that have undergrad degrees other than science that enter HES/HCP Has anyone that has a poor undergrad science GPA and that has done really well in the program got into med school?

To be in the health careers program as a degree candidate, you can't have taken any of the pre-reqs yet - so most of them are non-science majors. However, many non-degree candidates (in my experience) are science majors. There are occasional weirdos like me - degree candidate, but I majored in math.

1) Hard to say. I have friends from HES who are going to top 10/20 programs, but they were simply brilliant (e.g. Oxford scholars). I, on the other hand, really have no chance at a top 10, not that I cared too much. It's a postbacc that accepts nearly everyone who applies, so you're going to have a broad range of undergrad/professional experiences. That said, if your undergrad background makes you competitive for Harvard/Hopkins, HES will absolutely not hold you back from getting in there. Of those I know who've taken the MCAT after the program, almost all have done extraordinarily well.

2) Most students work. Not necessarily in research (after all, you're doing premed requirements, what kind of science background do you have for science professionally?). Some part time, some full time, although pretty much all my friends were full-time, and included working in a social science department at Harvard, a non-profit, a low-income healthcare clinic, public health research, retail, and foodservice. So it really runs the gamut. It doesn't matter too much if you work in the medical or a scientific field, you just need to make sure you have some sort of clinical work, and since Boston must have the most hospitals per capita in the world, that can be found pretty easily.

Thanks for the responses punkindrublic and Maxprime!

Another random question (again, any answers appreciated):
Have any past or present HES HCP participants that you have known lived at home (i.e. s/he is from MA and chose to live at home instead of moving into Boston) while taking classes for the program?

I live less than an hour away from Boston (actually went to high school there) and am debating whether or not I should stay in Boston or live at home (so far, my verdict is stay at home but I'm open to hearing other thoughts on this).

Thanks for the responses punkindrublic and Maxprime!

Another random question (again, any answers appreciated):
Have any past or present HES HCP participants that you have known lived at home (i.e. s/he is from MA and chose to live at home instead of moving into Boston) while taking classes for the program?

Yup - I can remember two, but I'm sure there were a lot more (I didn't poll the class :)). It saves money in an expensive city, if you're cool with it and they don't drive you nuts - I could see it working for a year or two.

I have just moved here and its been almost a month now and am looking for a good research related job. Anything clinical would be great. I am having a difficult time looking for a job. it seems like its too hard to get a good medical related job, maybe some of you have contacts.

Can anyone help me out?

Full time or part time, i just want something that will look good on my application to med school and be great to do too.

Hello,

I created a Facebook group so we can also get to know each other - if you're on Facebook, search for group titled, "Harvard Ext. Health Careers Program"

Hope to hear from you!

Hello,

I am considering taking biochem at harvard extension fall 2008. I took bio and chem elsewhere, but took physics at harvard with Rueckner. Can anyone comment on the difficulty, labs, tests in this class? Thanks.

Spudbunny

I'd also like to know what courses people recommend for upper level work. I plan on taking 6 in one year (plus one in the summer).

I've heard positive reviews of neuro. Also see Post #104 and then scan to the present. I seem to recall one other comment in there somewhere.

Just needed to say that this thread (as well as advice from other past participants I know) has convinced me completely to apply for the Program. Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

I just finished up working at the Joslin Diabetes Center where I know there are a couple of openings in Clinical Research and Basic Science Research. I would consider applying there. I loved working there in Clinical Research while I was in HCP.

Good luck!

I have just moved here and its been almost a month now and am looking for a good research related job. Anything clinical would be great. I am having a difficult time looking for a job. it seems like its too hard to get a good medical related job, maybe some of you have contacts.

Can anyone help me out?

Full time or part time, i just want something that will look good on my application to med school and be great to do too.

last post, i promise. i'm leaving my apartment in early august to move onto to sf for medical school. it is available mid-august for occupancy.

i have a lovely two bedroom in cambridge apartment 7 minutes from the kendall sq cinema and from inman square, and i'm about 15 minutes walking to both the lechmere and the kendall square t stops. i'm about a mile and a half from harvard (25 minute walk or 10 minute bike ride), and there's a bus on the corner of my street the takes 10-15 minutes to get to harvard. i live on the first floor and have about all 800 square feet of it to myself. because it is set off-street behind another building, i have an incredible amount of privacy and pretty good sunlight in all rooms at different times during the day. i've got washer/dryer hookups all to myself and all hardwood floors. i also have my own porch. if you have a car, parking on the street is fairly easy since i live across the street from a park. the apartment stays fairly warm in the winter (so my heating bills are low) and fairly cool in the summer (so much so that i don't even have air conditioning).

the landlords are great. the apartment is part of a 12 apartment complex between two buildings that are all owned and mostly occupied by the same portuguese family. (i think only 4 of the 12 units are rented out.) the couple of problems we had were always fixed same day or next day. they are all warm and make for wonderful neighbors.

i'm currently paying $1475/month for it all.

i'm helping my landlords find new tenants because they've been so kind to me. and i've loved living at my place. also, i want to able to pass on this apartment to another student. it likely won't be listed on craigslist for a while.

i'm leaving the country for a while to take the big trip to celebrate getting into my #1 choice and to live it up during one of my last two summers i'll ever have free. if you are interested, please pm me before monday and i can get you in touch with my landlords.

How long did they take to reply? and is it the HCP that you were accepted to?

Does anyone know how long they take to reply?

Yes I was accepted into the HCP program. It only took 3 weeks for me to receive the letter.

Congrats dude.
I was asking cuz i sent in my app last week wed and i wasnt sure how long it would take.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I think i'm gonna go with neuro for the summer. How was the course?

I'm kinda nervous about getting accepted to the HCP.
When I wrote the program for information, Mr. Peterson replied saying they can usually reply within the same week or the next.

When you got your acceptance was it just a letter, or further instructions as well (like a welcome package etc),
the reason I'm asking is because I'm also an international student and on the application itself there was no mention space for that. So in order to get student visa's etc organized i was wondering if the welcome package had more information.

Anyone who's been recently accepted, can you please help me with the timeline of the decision letter etc. Any information would help.

THANKS

when i first applied, it took about 3 weeks for an acceptance letter. It was an official letter for my acceptance and another piece of paper with simple instructions. There is no huge packet to deal with. It comes in your normal sized mailing envelope.

Maybe the reason it can be taking so long on your hand is b/c your an internatonal student and verifying that you took the pre reqs could take. Are you a diploma candidate?

You should definetly call them and ask abut you situation because it would be very different from the current U.S students that are applying to the HCP.

Hi all! I know there were some posts about this earlier, but are any HES'ers taking summer Gen Chem? It would be nice to get this party started early :hardy:

But seriously, I was in Cambridge today and the sight of all those 19 year olds (no offense to the under 20s) scared me. It'd be nice if us more mature post-baccers banded together for the long haul. Plus, unlike the rest of the summer classmates, most of us can get a drink together after class! Legally, even! Good luck to everyone starting the process tomorrow... :)

i got my acceptance one week after i applied. i suggest you guys to call the office and email them. they are really friendly and Mr. Peterson responds in a very timely manner!

the acceptance letter like many said was just a plain letter that stated the requirements and that you are accepted. no welcome letter or watever.

i am waiting to see what to do next. i have to plan first trip into boston to find a place to live and then go a second time to move/by furniture. kind of stressful, but i am excited!!

Last edited: