Official: Harvard 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
up

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some peeps have asked me for some more info about the area, so I figured I'd share my thoughts with the group rather than reply individually.

In the interest of full disclosure - I've lived and/or worked in Cambridge since starting college in '94. I know the place well, but am also 30 now, so I'm sure some of the straight out of college people might have things to add.

Generally speaking, it's pretty expensive in Cambridge, as I'm sure you've heard. If you are looking to save money on rent you have two choices: roommates or live away from the T. Prices go way down once you are beyond a 15 min walk to the redline. If you do live on the redline the cheapest fun place is Davis. I sold my car last year and live on the redline in Central Sq, which is a mile from school and a mile from work (one stop on the T each way), which is nice.

Kendall
Cheap, but you won't want to live here, it's business oriented and dead after 5.

Harvard Sq:
Housing/General: most expensive square on the redline in Cambridge or Somerville by far. Easy access to the river/esplanade for running/rollerblading etc. There are also some really neat things along the river here like outdoor salsa and dj dance parties.

Cheap Eats and Drinks:
-Grendels - you can get a decent dinner here for $5 during happy hour. Get a dark and stormy to drink.
-Chez Henri has an awesome cuban sammich you can get at the bar for <$10. Awesome mojitos too.
-Charlies
-Shay's
-Border Cafe has huge portions and decent margaritas. I don't go there much anymore, but I loved it in college (loooooooooong time ago :p)
-Crazy Dough in the Garage has great pizza.
-Bartley's Burgers
-No, I'm not a fan of John Harvard's.

Upscale Eats: Tons, too many to list. My fave is either Upstairs on the Square or Henrietta's Kitchen.

DJ Music:
I can't quite bring myself to mention the Hong Kong. Oh wait, I did. Scorpion Bowls. Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaady, but you won't remember anything so it doesn't matter.

Central Sq
Housing/General: Cheaper than Harvard, but still on the expensive side. The side towards the river is cheaper but sketchy. The other side is quite nice. About a 20 minute walk to the science center, one stop on the T to Harvard. Access to the river/esplanade for running/rollerblading etc.

Cheap Eats and Drinks:
-India Castle = yummy indian
-Pepper Sky's = yummy thai
-Mary Chungs = yummy chinese.
-Tavern on the Sq to catch a game
-The younger crowd seems to like The Field
-People's Republik is the only place open til 2.

More Expensive Eats/Drinks:
-Central Kitchen
-Green Street

Live Music:
-Cantab (it's a dive bar but the bands are always fun)
-Middle East (wide variety of original bands, catch Humanwine if you can)
-TT the Bears

DJ Music:
-Enormous Room = lounge with yummy food and awesome music. Gets really crowded though so get there early.
-Middlesex = club with decent food. (the mini tacos are cool). This place has gone downhill a bit, and I can't stand lines so you'll hear mixed reviews, but personally I've always had a great time there and generally the music is very good.

Porter
Housing/General: Cheaper to live than either Central or Harvard, especially if you go over the Somerville line. Not much in it for fun, but it does have a big supermarket and little shopping center right in the middle. 20 minute walk to science center, 1 stop on the T.

Cheap Eats:
-Christophers = great
-Wok and Roll = chinese
-There's a thai place I like too that I'm blanking on.
-Cambridge Common (between Harv and Porter)

More Expensive Eats:
-Elephant Walk = cambodian

Live Music:
-Lizard Lounge (below Cambridge Common)
-Toad = great dive bar + music but TINY

Davis Square
Housing/General: Varies a lot. Comparable to Porter but has a lot more going on. Even has a movie theatre you can drink beer at. 2 stops on the T, probably 45 min walk. Easy access to a bike/running path that connects with the minuteman trail for biking/running/rollerblading.

Cheap Eats:
-Red Bones (bbq)
-Dave's
-Blue Shirt Café
-Anna's (burritos)

More Expensive Eats/Drinks:
-Diva = indian
-Gargoyles = french
-Antonia's = italian

Live music:
-Johnny D's (highly recommend)
-The Burren does fun cover bands - thurs is the best.

Hope that is useful. :luck: to everyone getting ready to move, pack warm clothes. :D

So due to some unfortunate circumstances, I had to leave Boston quickly and drop out of Summer Gen. Chem. Which, well, blows, but is probably better in the long run.

I'd still like to do my pre-reqs in one year, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on a bio-chem-physics and Summer O-chem followed by August MCAT sequence?

I have taken some of these prereqs before (2 out of 3 quarters of gen chem with solid C's, Cell/Molecular Bio with an A, and Genetics with a C, 2 neurobios with As), so its not all totally new. Plus I feel like the accelerated pace will help me retain more info. for the MCAT.

I know people have done this plan before, but was just wondering what y'all thought of it in hindsight? Is it worth saving a year or am I just setting myself up for failure...? Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
OK. at what point did you see they cashed the application fee check? Was it before you got the acceptance letter or after???

I'm asking because, I have called the office and no one is telling me or even hinting at whether I got in. I wonder if that's just protocol for confidentiality reasons.

It's been exactly 12 working days since they have had my package in front of them. .This i know for certain because someone in the office confirmed it.

I have no idea what's taking so long.
I mean, If its a 'Denied', is it that they just forgot to mail out that simple page.

I'm sorry guys, this waiting process has been tough. I have a lot hanging on this and I was initially told, that I'd have a reply by the second week. which has more than passed if you count time for mail etc. (It was sent out overnight on June 10th)

I don't know what to think. I know I 'just have to wait it out'.

Any input from prior experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

hello all! i just got into hcp as well and i am quite excited!

in response to jude1:
just relax. im sure they didn't forget about you. it may be simply because you are an international student and they are just taking a longer time to process all of your paperwork, transcripts, etc.. in my situation, they returned my check to me to see if i still wanted to join the program after they reiterated their rigorous sponsorship reqs. this may be your situation seeing as how your check is not cashed quite yet. maybe not...

give it a few more days. i wish you the best of luck! ;)

Strong possibility that I'll begin the HCP this coming Fall. I'm currently trying to weigh the pros/cons of the Harvard program compared to the Columbia PMPB. I'm also looking into the employment opportunities based upon my circumstances, etc.

does anyone know when the labs are for gen chem 1 and physics 1 for the fall.

I know the classes are T/TH from 6-9, i cant believe they only meet once a week, but its 3 hours so it makes sense.

But im still wondering when the labs are? i hop they can be on the same day as class for my situation.

Hi,

I just finished physics in May 2008. Labs are available on the weekends saturday 2:00PM - 5:00PM, sunday 2:00PM - 5:00PM, tuesday night 9PM - 12AM, Monday 4:30PM - 7:30PM, 8:00PM - 11:00PM. There is usually also a 1:00PM - 4:30PM lab on monday. There are 5 labs, but the first lab is a take home lab, the other 4 are "in the lab". Can't help you with Gen Chem labs as I took that elsewhere.

Spudbunny

I know the classes are T/TH from 6-9, i cant believe they only meet once a week, but its 3 hours so it makes sense.

But im still wondering when the labs are? i hop they can be on the same day as class for my situation.

Gen chem offers several lab time options, ranging from during the day on weekends and at night during the week. I believe there's one after lecture, but I am not positive. You submit your preferences when the class starts and they try to match everyone up as well as possible.

Last year, gen chem labs were Mon, Tue, and Wed evenings. Most options have them right after section.

To those who are from LA area: wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to UCLA extension? The classes are only about $400-$600. Are you guys applying to HEC mostly for the sponsorship? I'm asking because I'm looking into both programs right now, (as well as SFSU 2nd bachelors) and I've heard some good things too about the extension classes offered at UCLA. What are your opinions? Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster.

So: I'm finishing my public health degree in Boston and wanted to start taking pre-med classes. I want to take it slow and start off with just Gen Chem my first year at HES.

Questions: How much time commitment is it really? I saw someone mention the lab times upthread, but what is the typical schedule and weekly time investment for Gen Chem at HES? (looked on the Extension School website, but couldn't access the coursepage)

Do you think it would be feasible to work 40hrs per week, volunteer (prob. just 5 hrs on the weekend or so), as well as take this course?

Thank you in advance. This is a wonderful resource and I'm glad that I'm a member of this awesome community! :)

Gen Chem is taught by an amazing professor at HES. I thoroughly enjoyed his class and was amazed at how much we covered. Working full time and volunteering, while taking one course is definitely feasible. In terms of a time commitment, you have a 3 hour class, a 1 hour review, a 1 hour section, and lab (can't remember how long it is - I think 3 hours). Btw, I would recommend that you go to all of the weekly reviews. So, that's approximately eight hours a week plus study time.

Really fun class most of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone doing this program for the upper level stuff (besides Nasrudin)? I'm wondering what courses I would take, if I decide to go there.

Last edited:
do u mean upper level science courses.... if so i will be taking neuro bio soon? heard it pretty good. Man... i hope i make some new friends here, i dont know anyone here!! Does anyone know the typical age group at HES?

Hey - Anyone else here starting in fall 08??

Hey all. Is anyone moving from California to Boston this fall? LET'S SPLIT A MOVING VEHICLE. It would be lots cheaper and we could bring more stuff that way! I'll be and MS I this fall and want to have my stuff in Boston around August 1. Private message me if anyone's interested.

Anyone know the % of students accepted to medical school, if they get the sponsorship?

Anyone know the % of students accepted to medical school, if they get the sponsorship?

They advertise over 90%, but not sure how accurate that is as they don't say how long those people are applying to school for..

ps. I did not take upper level classes so I cannot comment on them.

do u mean upper level science courses.... if so i will be taking neuro bio soon? heard it pretty good. Man... i hope i make some new friends here, i dont know anyone here!! Does anyone know the typical age group at HES?

I'd say the av. is 24

Hi guys! This is the first time I am posting in this forum. I am struggling whether to do the HCP and what classes to take and thought this might be the first place to try.

I have a weird situation. I did well over my undergrad career as a geology/chemistry double major from Tufts and got my MS in chem in one year. I did well in school except 2 semesters when I had immigration problems and got B's and C's. I ended up 3.48 overall undergrad and a 3.34 BCPM. Without the one semester where I got 3 C's in 3 science classes my GPA should have been around 3.7 overall with a 3.6 BCPM. One thing I also did was to apply 3 of my A's to my master degree from my undergrad and thus missed 3.5 overall GPA for my undergrad. My master degree program ended with a 3.75 GPA.

I loved research and did it almost every summer and year on the NASA Phoenix Mars mission (the little robot that just got on Mars, not med related) with one pub for 4 years. I hope to find a full/part time job in clinical/volunteer setting for two years while studying HCP. Just Did the MCAT and will get my score back in two weeks.

My biochem grades (B+ and A+) are better than my orgo (B and B+) better in upper level Bio (A's and B's) than my general bio classes (C and B). I got A's in gen chem and did not take physics. I took p-Chem instead because I had 5 on APs.

Here are my questions:
1) Should I retake pre-req classes at HES if I did better in the upper levels?
2) Can I take upper level bio only as a HCP?
3) Should I apply this year or the next?
4) Did not making to 3.5 overall as undergrad killed my chance to get into top/mid tier med schools?

Thanks for the help

Fetung

ps. My plan for two years at HES if I do not retake classes and with a part time job:
2008 Fall: Physiology I and Neurobiology (took physiology on respiratory, circulatory and renal systems)
2009 Spring: Physiology II and Molecular Bio
2009 Summer: apply to med schools for 2010 entrance
2009 Fall: Proteomics and Pathophysiology I
2010 Spring: Genomics and Immunology II (had taken graduate immunology class)

Are my courses too rigor?

ps2. I love Diva and Anna's in Davis square too Breeak!

Last edited:
Fetung -

1. I wouldn't retake classes. The only reason to do so would be if you were applying to DO schools (which replace grades from retake classes, whereas allo schools average them), or had been out of school for 5+ years (and even then maybe not depending on where you were applying).

2. Are you looking for sponsorship? I mean, yes, you can take only upper level classes if you've already done all the pre-reqs, and I think you would only need a year to get sponsorship, but talk to Fixsen to be sure.

3. It's late to apply this year. It wouldn't be absolutely impossible, but you'd be scrambling and it would lower your chances.

4. I hate it when people evaluate people's chances. I mean, nothing is absolute, and I'm not sure it's possible to extrapolate anything other than maybes from all the anecdotes and numbers on here. Is your GPA going to help you? Of course not, but plenty of people have gotten into good schools with worse GPAs. Don't let SDN numbers get you down. :) Obviously if you do really well on the MCAT it will help offset the gpa.

Your planned course schedule looks doable with a part time job (given your strong science background), but since you have the pre-reqs done I would be ready to err on the side of caution - A's are more important than any one of those classes. Are you planning on taking them for the GPA boost or because you think they will look good on your app and want to demonstrate that you've kept the academic ball rolling?

Thanks Breeak, I am taking those classes because I want to learn more about the topics. I loved physiology when I took it at Tufts and when I studied MCAT. I want to take neurobiology because I want to find the cause/etiology of schizophrenia, since I have worked with some patients with the illness. I heard Murphy is a great teacher in teaching that subject. As for molecular biology and proteomics/genomics. I want to take those subjects because I realized molecular biology/immunology is probably the next big things in medicine with all the new techniques involving T-cell treatments and new techniques coming from understanding the genome. Have you or anyone taken these subjects you know and can shed light on some of them?

Edit: Yes, I do hope these classes boost my GPA, but more importantly I want to have some direct experience with medicine before applying to med school to see if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Thanks alot

Fetung

Last edited:
I'd say the av. is 24

Eh, I'd say the avg age was a little bit older than 24. I'm 23 and I felt really young in all my six classes there. I'd say the avg was closer to 30...

Thanks Breeak, I am taking those classes because I want to learn more about the topics. I loved physiology when I took it at Tufts and when I studied MCAT. I want to take neurobiology because I want to find the cause/etiology of schizophrenia, since I have worked with some patients with the illness. I heard Murphy is a great teacher in teaching that subject. As for molecular biology and proteomics/genomics. I want to take those subjects because I realized molecular biology/immunology is probably the next big things in medicine with all the new techniques involving T-cell treatments and new techniques coming from understanding the genome. Have you or anyone taken these subjects you know and can shed light on some of them?

Edit: Yes, I do hope these classes boost my GPA, but more importantly I want to have some direct experience with medicine before applying to med school to see if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Thanks alot

Fetung

I haven't taken any of those classes at HES. I have heard molecular bio is really tough, and Fixsen told me not to take immunology, but I don't remember his specific words as to why - generally that it was not well organized. I have heard neurobio is great.

My only caution regarding the classes is to make sure you don't overload yourself since they are all elective. I can understand the desire to explore though. :) Good luck, have fun!

Can anyone attest to the resources that are provided for HCP participants? I'm a bit distressed that I need to carry around my registration confirmation to access libraries and such; not really sure why we aren't granted ID cards.

I'm an aspiring postbac student who has taken none of the premed requirements, and looking to begin a program in the spring. Is it possible to begin the HES program in spring of '09, when one has not taken any of the required premed classes? I see they do not offer Chem I in the spring - how difficult, in people's experiences, is it to begin a premed course of study with something other than chem I? Doable? Insane? Should I not even consider HES?

Gracias for any and all help.

It depends on what course(s) you were looking at. In my opinion, it is not advisable to take one of the core courses out of order - spring semester before Fall. It just doesn't work.

I'm an aspiring postbac student who has taken none of the premed requirements, and looking to begin a program in the spring. Is it possible to begin the HES program in spring of '09, when one has not taken any of the required premed classes? I see they do not offer Chem I in the spring - how difficult, in people's experiences, is it to begin a premed course of study with something other than chem I? Doable? Insane? Should I not even consider HES?

Gracias for any and all help.

Physics II or Bio II first would probably be doable since not much of the knowledge is based on the previous term.

Good point regarding Physics II and Bio II. Chem II or Orgo II is not advisable in my opinion, since they both build on the first semester. Sorry for not flushing that out in my earlier post.

Hi again. I went to the Harvard Extension School Web and saw the ALM program for biological science. Will it make more sense for me to do the ALM also since I am only taking biological electives? :confused: Does that mean each class will cost me $1000 more since I need to take them at graduate level?

Fetung

Hey all,

I'm a first-time poster and a bit of a latecomer, but I just recently got into Harvard's HCP and I plan on attending this coming fall.

As a quick introduction, I'm a 22-year-old, born and bread Southern Californian ABC (American-Born Chinese). Like some previous posters, I really don't have a lot of connections in Boston, but I am looking for roommates so if anyone still has their living arrangements up in the air or space, please send me a PM.

I really look forward to meeting all of you come Sept. 15 and contributing to future postbacc discussions, Harvard or otherwise.

Hi again. I went to the Harvard Extension School Web and saw the ALM program for biological science. Will it make more sense for me to do the ALM also since I am only taking biological electives? :confused: Does that mean each class will cost me $1000 more since I need to take them at graduate level?

Fetung

I would say no. a) Grad classes would not help raise your undergrad gpa. b) Grad classes are regarded differently, often perceived as easier to get high grades in. c) Double the cost? Nooooooooooooo thanks. :p Masters degrees just don't seem to be of significant help to applicants.

any past sponsorship student want to list the classes they took?

also, general consensus has been that its not advisable to retake classes from undergrad as a sponsorship student?

Anyone doing this program for the upper level stuff (besides Nasrudin)? I'm wondering what courses I would take, if I decide to go there.

So anyone else? It seems very hard to find people who came there for the upper level stuff. I'd appreciate any more people who went to Harvard for the upper levels.

also, general consensus has been that its not advisable to retake classes from undergrad as a sponsorship student?

Really? I didn't know about this...

any past sponsorship student want to list the classes they took?

actually most people take classes for many reasons, and one way to boost up the science GPA is to retake your classes, especially for D.O

actually most people take classes for many reasons, and one way to boost up the science GPA is to retake your classes, especially for D.O
yes this has been confirmed from the program. because DO schools rewrite your lower grades with higher ones, it is advisable to retake ur classes. for MD schools, not so much. but like stated above, everyone has their own agendas, so everyone's situation is different.

so who else is here already at MA? :D

Do HCP accepts whoever applies, or is it hard to get in?

Hey Guys,
I know most of you are going to attend HCP part-time and are not exactly part of the diploma program... but I was wondering how you are getting health insurance? Do most of you have jobs that offer you health benefits? Or are any of you still covered by your parent's insurance? I read that MA law requires everyone to have health insurance... Anyone know of an insurance company or website where you can get medical, dental, and vision coverage and is still affordable? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Do HCP accepts whoever applies, or is it hard to get in?

If you apply to HCP, you will "get in", provided you fill out your paperwork properly and pay the fee.

To get sponsorship from Harvard Extension's pre-med committee, you need to meet certain criteria with regards to GPA and MCAT score; the exact criteria are specified at the Harvard Extension website.

The HCP Diploma program requires that you meet certain criteria to get accepted to the program, and that you maintain a certain GPA once enrolled. The Diploma program is geared for those students that have never taken the pre-reqs as an undergrad. You do not need to be enrolled in the Diploma program to get the all important sponsorship.

So, the short answer to your original question is, yes.

im taking physics1 and gen chem 1 this fall..... its says theres no limit so its not gonna fill up right????

i dont want to be waitlisted on any of these classes.....

Im just waiting for my financial aid!

no. i asked that question before I applied. only some classes have limited enrollment but the basic pre-reqs don't fill up.

ok...heres the question:

if you have already completed all your premed requirements, what steps must you take in this harvard program to best benefit you? Do you take all premeds over again if your cum was low to prove that you can do it? Will doing this and doing well give you a higher chance in getting them to sponsor you? how many years should one devote if they hve already done all their premeds from another school? If someone could lay out what needs to be taken when for such a candidate it would help a lot...

also, is this program as respected nationally as other SMPs like georgetown or university of cincinnati's physiology program?

Whats the difference between HES and HCP or are they the same thing?

Whats the difference between HES and HCP or are they the same thing?

HES offers night classes in various subjects for reasonable tuition. Some people attend HES to get an undergraduate or graduate degree, some people just want to take a class or two for the sake of learning, and some people are trying to get into med/dental/vet school. The HCP is the subset of HES for the pre-health people. In the HCP, if you get good enough grades in the core prerequisites, the committee will write you a letter of recommendation.

So is it even worth applying to the HES? The HCP seems to be the real beneficial way if you want to apply to med school. For people like me who need to increase their undergraduate science gpa, but have taken all the core courses already, how would the HES be any more helpful than other post-baccs besides the name of the school?

It's valued highly as you mentioned, and you get their composite letter.

So is it even worth applying to the HES? The HCP seems to be the real beneficial way if you want to apply to med school. For people like me who need to increase their undergraduate science gpa, but have taken all the core courses already, how would the HES be any more helpful than other post-baccs besides the name of the school?

HES is the actual school through which you take classes. HCP is a program that advises and writes the Committee Letter. They function as your pre-med advisor. If you want to take courses here, you go through HES. If you want sponsorship, you have to apply and go through HCP.

How did you do in the core courses? How long ago did you take them?