Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ordinarily I don't meet scary people from the internet, mainly due to my hideous, smelly tentacles, 4-foot tail and seven dripping eyes, but actually a drink could be fun!

Who else is up for it!?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ordinarily I don't meet scary people from the internet, mainly due to my hideous, smelly tentacles, 4-foot tail and seven dripping eyes, but actually a drink could be fun!

Who else is up for it!?

4ft.? In your dreams - word on the street is that you're not an inch over 2 feet.

Oh - and yeah, I'm in for a drink.

4ft.? In your dreams - word on the street is that you're not an inch over 2 feet.

Oh - and yeah, I'm in for a drink.

I believe you'd actually have to meet Prav IN PERSON before making those types of statements....the tail is quite intimidating...

since it seems like a few people are interested...any ideas on where to meet tonight and when?

Is Harvard Sq. where you guys usually meet? I'm down to go wherever, but figured that'd be a place everyone could find (hopefully, geez). Any ideas on location?

FYI, if you have a tail - it's only common courtesy to wag it when meeting new people, don't be rude.

Also up for a drink... places? times?

I PM'd people and then realized it was stupid - just to go ahead and say here:

How about John Harvard's @ 10?

Earlier has been suggested - how about people just start showing up whenever you want? I'll try to be there by 9:15 or 9:30. I'm the only person obnoxious enough to wear a burnt orange hat in Boston - pretty easy to spot.

Greetings to the thread!

I just had my first class yesterday (Pathophysiology, 1 of 3) and of the admittedly few people I talked to, none were HCPers. I guess I just wanted to take a poll and see what people on this forum were taking this semester -- maybe you might be interested in joining a slay-the-course study group or two...

here's my stats:
Human Pathophysiology II (mondays)
Physics E 1-A (tuesdays + ?)
Orgo (thursdays + ?)

Let me know if you're enrolled in any of these courses.

:luck: EvilAngelfish

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings to the thread!

I just had my first class yesterday (Pathophysiology, 1 of 3) and of the admittedly few people I talked to, none were HCPers. I guess I just wanted to take a poll and see what people on this forum were taking this semester -- maybe you might be interested in joining a slay-the-course study group or two...

here's my stats:
Orgo (thursdays + ?)

Hey everyone. Like prav stated, I'm ready to rock this semester. Admittedly, the anxiety compared to starting this fall is way less than last fall.

Well EvilAngelfish, here's my stats:

Orgo (thursdays and pretty much every other day)
Neurobiology (wednesday)

Throw in some MCAT prep and some work to pay the bills and I'm full. I'm interested to hear how pathophysiology goes. I wanted to take that, but it was a PITA to get to the school of public health and neurobio doesn't conflict with any orgo stuff.

By the way, having just finished the Fixsen summer biology, I have one bit of advice for you taking the fall course: study past exams!!! This course is deceiving in sooooo many respects. Just when you think you understand it, you don't.

Greetings to the thread!

here's my stats:
Orgo (thursdays + ?)

Physics E 1-A here. Will be in the Tuesday 9-midnight lab....

Also Chem on Thursdays w/ Lab & Section on Wednesday mornings

I think that 9-midnight crowd will be an interesting group . . .

Bio Monday/Wed.
Physics Tuesday
Chem Thursday

Don't know about labs/sections yet.

Bless you child. Walking home from Harvard at midnight will be fun. Trying to get out fast enough to make the last T was memorable.

I had 9-midnight last year for both semesters. Nice crowd. Normal people. I would say that it's the TF who can make or break the experience. If you have someone who is willing to help and keep pace to finish on time, then it will be great. (my 2nd sem TF) However, if you have--for lack of a better term-- a "lab nazi" who doesn't help you get on track, who shows up late, is derogatory, and makes you turn in your lab at midnight whether you finished or not....etc... then it is horrible. If your first experience does turn out horrible, then talk to Doug. He is a great resource and help.

I know this is a shot in the dark.... Anyone else out there taking Neurobiology this semester?

I had 9-midnight last year for both semesters. Nice crowd. Normal people. I would say that it's the TF who can make or break the experience. If you have someone who is willing to help and keep pace to finish on time, then it will be great. (my 2nd sem TF) However, if you have--for lack of a better term-- a "lab nazi" who doesn't help you get on track, who shows up late, is derogatory, and makes you turn in your lab at midnight whether you finished or not....etc... then it is horrible. If your first experience does turn out horrible, then talk to Doug. He is a great resource and help.

lol..she wasn't that bad!

lol..she wasn't that bad!

My bad. Should have been more specific. Francesca was great 2nd sem. (UNITS!!!) It was my 1st semester TF who was the freakshow.

Bless you child. Walking home from Harvard at midnight will be fun. Trying to get out fast enough to make the last T was memorable.

Ahh yes....shall be interesting indeed! I have no problem plowing through large groups of people in order to make the last T (will just have to make sure my running shoes are with me on Tuesdays!) If all else fails, I'll at least be able to log a few miles on those nights as I'm running home (bags/books in tow). In fact, perhaps I'll be so energized from my midnight run home that I'll run to chem lab for 8am the very next morning!!! :laugh:

I'm seriously hoping (praying?) for option A.....

Lab Nazi = One hell of a looooong semester

More of a general than class-by-class question, but who should we ask questions? It seems like TF's are supposed to be our direct contacts with prof office hours less common and less available by email. Right?

I'm not going to apologize if this person is on SDN, but tonight someone in chem asked what is now the dumbest question I have ever heard, ever. Enjoy:

To preface, the professor was talking about the arrangement of the periodic table. He thought he'd pick out one of his favorite elements, Tungsten - whose symbol is W. After speaking about Tungsten's location for a few seconds, someone asked him to point Tungsten out because they couldn't find it. What ensued embarassed me to be in the same room:

"So where is Tungsten?"
<Professor points to W>
"Oh, I get it - so the W is silent in Tungsten?"

Wow.

Are you sure they weren't joking? I've been known to make ludicrous comments like that for the sake of humour.

Are you sure they weren't joking? I've been known to make ludicrous comments like that for the sake of humour.

It was a sarcastic response after another student asked where the "w" came from in the first place (it's also known as "wolfram/wolframium"--hence the "w")...

On a random note, I LOVE that class! I wish Tucci could teach the majority of the courses. Perhaps I'll be singing a different tune in a few weeks, but I'm impressed with the amount of energy he brings to the subject--AND that he kept us awake/engaged for the entire three hour lecture. I hope the rest of the semester continues in this fashion!

there aren't enough explosions. maybe try tnt and c-4's in the next lecture?

for bio, have you guys tried the problem sets? it's very integrated in terms of chapters covered.

I'm not going to apologize if this person is on SDN, but tonight someone in chem asked what is now the dumbest question I have ever heard, ever. Enjoy:

To preface, the professor was talking about the arrangement of the periodic table. He thought he'd pick out one of his favorite elements, Tungsten - whose symbol is W. After speaking about Tungsten's location for a few seconds, someone asked him to point Tungsten out because they couldn't find it. What ensued embarassed me to be in the same room:

"So where is Tungsten?"
<Professor points to W>

Wow.

Be careful of who you criticize here, most of us know each other and I don't think you want to alienate your classmates by trying to clown our friends. What you will see is that there are people from many backgrounds and education systems and in a class of over 250 you're bound to hear questions that you know the answer to, but others don't. It seems the jest in this question was a little of your head, but it's amazing what people will ask, and how much you realize you didn't know from people asking questions in lecture.

I really enjoyed Orgo last night, although the work is piling up steadly I'm still going to get a podcast out before the first exam! Anyone curious can contact me.

JMS...give it a few more weeks, it starts really slow and easy so don't fall for the cute pictures of his child...the first exam is right around the corner! Then you will quickly learn to hate the class :)

What you will see is that there are people from many backgrounds and education systems and in a class of over 250 you're bound to hear questions that you know the answer to, but others don't.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! Even though the tungsten commment was pure sarcasm, there will be plenty of questions that may seem silly to some people in the room but are completley valid and genuine for others!!!

JMS...give it a few more weeks, it starts really slow and easy so don't fall for the cute pictures of his child...the first exam is right around the corner! Then you will quickly learn to hate the class :)

Haha...yes yes yes. I definitely don't expect it to be easy in any way, shape or form, but I do like the fact that he's energetic AND a good lecturer!! :D

We did those same balloons (and oxygen) in high school - but it was in a normal classroom (no high ceilings). Our wonderful teacher didn't realize that the shockwave of the blast would blow apart ceiling tiles and fill the room with hopefully non-toxic particles. The evacuation was a nice break from class. :)

I haven't finished the problem sets yet for Bio, was planning on doing them today.

Anyone else doing the Wednesday morning chem section?

Anyone else work on the bio problem sets? I found them to be pretty difficult - a lot of thinking instead of just spitting out answers.

Anyone else work on the bio problem sets? I found them to be pretty difficult - a lot of thinking instead of just spitting out answers.

i started but haven't finished the problem sets. the textbook and the notes provide very little clues.

if these problems are indicative of the exams, then i think we better start preparing for the midterm right now.

i started but haven't finished the problem sets. the textbook and the notes provide very little clues.

if these problems are indicative of the exams, then i think we better start preparing for the midterm right now.
I do like that the questions are one step further than the standard text - makes you really think about the concepts instead of memorization. But I do think that Fixsen's exams are going to be pretty darn hard. I've been spending more time on bio than chem & physics combined (and then some).

Anyone interested in joining an Orgo/Physics study group?
There'll be practice problems, camaraderie and possibly baked goods...
PM or email me for details.

I do like that the questions are one step further than the standard text - makes you really think about the concepts instead of memorization. But I do think that Fixsen's exams are going to be pretty darn hard. I've been spending more time on bio than chem & physics combined (and then some).

yes, i agree. these problems force you to get into the language of biology. in a way, it's like those proof-oriented math courses. it's good for serious premed students.

the drawback is that when you think you've solved a problem, the actual answer can be totally different, and you'll say, "that's bs, man".

whereas in chem/phys/math, there are fewer nasty surprises in terms of your solution to the problem versus the actual solution.

are you interested in discussing solutions to the problem set?

Anyone interested in joining an Orgo/Physics study group?
There'll be practice problems, camaraderie and possibly baked goods...
PM or email me for details.
We have to take organic physics too!? Crap.

I'm in for physics.

yes, i agree. these problems force you to get into the language of biology. in a way, it's like those proof-oriented math courses. it's good for serious premed students.

the drawback is that when you think you've solved a problem, the actual answer can be totally different, and you'll say, "that's bs, man".

whereas in chem/phys/math, there are fewer nasty surprises in terms of your solution to the problem versus the actual solution.

are you interested in discussing solutions to the problem set?
I've only done the first 20, but am willing to compare solutions whenever.

So Israel said during the Orgo review today that Orgo has something like 220 students and Inorganic is 300+ (I don't remember the exact number).

I knew the class seemed larger, but that is huge! Any speculation on the reasons why this is the case? I see a number of students from summer Chem who are in orgo now I would assume doing the 1-year approach.

Any of you newer folks care to enlighten us? Harvard must really be getting its name out there and/or we're playing a bigger role than we imagined here on SDN.

So Israel said during the Orgo review today that Orgo has something like 220 students and Inorganic is 300+ (I don't remember the exact number).

I knew the class seemed larger, but that is huge! Any speculation on the reasons why this is the case? I see a number of students from summer Chem who are in orgo now I would assume doing the 1-year approach.

Any of you newer folks care to enlighten us? Harvard must really be getting its name out there and/or we're playing a bigger role than we imagined here on SDN.

Fixsen said that the program is growing as a whole. Med school apps are continuing to rise and I think that Harvard's program has a great name to it. The first year pre-reqs are both over 300 people, is really stretching the limits of the labs from what I understand.

(As an aside, feel bad for Israel - he has 300+ in HES inorganic, 220 in HES organic, and 200+ in the college's inorganic! Make sure you identify what class you're in when emailing him.)

Don't worry, after the first exam the numbers in each class will decrease. Keep in mind we've only had one lecture so far and the material in all the classes (especially physics and chem) gets significantly more challeging in the coming weeks.

Don't worry, after the first exam the numbers in each class will decrease.

I'm looking forward to when this happens...mwhahaha :smuggrin:

But really, you mean we won't get to do sig figs and basic nomenclature problems all semester long?? :p

I figured that bio has already started thinning out pretty extensively, no?

I think that 2d kinematics should start to thin the field, then dust off the drop period with friction. :)

But really, you mean we won't get to do sig figs and basic nomenclature problems all semester long?? :p

lol. The reason Greg and Isreal are so nice is that by the end of the first month you want to kill them. You'll see soon enough :smuggrin:

I figured that bio has already started thinning out pretty extensively, no?

I think that 2d kinematics should start to thin the field, then dust off the drop period with friction. :)

if this were a calculus-based physics course, it would be the best thinning agent. :)