Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if this were a calculus-based physics course, it would be the best thinning agent. :)

Ron is the best thinning agent.

Members don't see this ad.

In the interest of keeping this thread as helpful as possible, I'll offer some advice for physics prep.

#1.) Ron is running a section, go to it even if you are not assigned. He choses problems to do (often difficult ones from the book) but he also writes the exams so it could clue you in to what might appear on his exams and the level of detail he expects you to understand (its often more than what the book goes into).

#2.) If you can't make Ron's section, go to K. Johnson's section. He is one of the few TF's that have been around for awhile. You will learn sooner or later that some TF's suck and you will find them useless, so I just saved you 3 weeks of pain. Kenny is the man. He explains things very clear, gives handouts, etc.

#3.) Understand your labs! Ron loves lab and you can expect several questions of the exam to come straight from the first lab. Know your graphing techniques used on the first lab, be able to create a similar graph from data he may give you on an exam, be able to identify the slope, etc. He was appaled last year that on one of our exams %90 of the class skipped a question similar to the first lab asking to re-graph data, etc. This year you will not have the option to "skip" a long answer question.

#4.) Go to the exam review! This may seem obvious but last year Ron was not teaching the class, so people would skip the review because he was not the best lecturer and had the reputation of doing too many difficult problems that would not appear on the exam. However we noticed (first semester) that at least one of the examples from the review showed up on every exam. With him teaching the class, you can bet you will see one or two on the exam.

Good luck

In the interest of keeping this thread as helpful as possible, I'll offer some advice for physics prep.

#1.) Ron is running a section, go to it even if you are not assigned. He choses problems to do (often difficult ones from the book) but he also writes the exams so it could clue you in to what might appear on his exams and the level of detail he expects you to understand (its often more than what the book goes into).

#2.) If you can't make Ron's section, go to K. Johnson's section. He is one of the few TF's that have been around for awhile. You will learn sooner or later that some TF's suck and you will find them useless, so I just saved you 3 weeks of pain. Kenny is the man. He explains things very clear, gives handouts, etc.

#3.) Understand your labs! Ron loves lab and you can expect several questions of the exam to come straight from the first lab. Know your graphing techniques used on the first lab, be able to create a similar graph from data he may give you on an exam, be able to identify the slope, etc. He was appaled last year that on one of our exams %90 of the class skipped a question similar to the first lab asking to re-graph data, etc. This year you will not have the option to "skip" a long answer question.

#4.) Go to the exam review! This may seem obvious but last year Ron was not teaching the class, so people would skip the review because he was not the best lecturer and had the reputation of doing too many difficult problems that would not appear on the exam. However we noticed (first semester) that at least one of the examples from the review showed up on every exam. With him teaching the class, you can bet you will see one or two on the exam.

Good luck

Well said! I second these points and second Kenny as A1 good TF.

In addition to these points, I found it absolutely crucial to do problems on your own. (I'm sure this has been said ad nauseum, but it's true!) It's nice to go to the reviews and section and see the problems done for you--I thought to myself "oh that's how you do it!" then promptly forgot about them. Do the review problems on your own so you know WHY that is the right answer, not just that you got the right answer.

While some physics problems do require a lot of calculations, some questions (even the exam) are very simple to solve, but only if you know the why and how.

As for Ron, yes he may seem...well...like Ron. But the man is brilliant and once you get into his head you will learn so much.

"13 what? Grapefruits?" "13 Ohms...that's what I thought you meant."

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the advice but I was wondering if it's really okay to just pop into discussion sections to which one isn't assigned... there's a kabillion students in physics and if we all decide to show up for Ron or Kenny's section, chairs might be an issue...
Do you think they'd mind extra people?

Also, any word on Weiss? I hope he's not one of the "useless" TFs...

:smuggrin: EvilAngelfish

for those who have taken bio, any tips?

this class is challenging and very integrative. i enjoy it very much. hopefully i'll repeat these sentiments after the midterms.

Thanks for the advice but I was wondering if it's really okay to just pop into discussion sections to which one isn't assigned... there's a kabillion students in physics and if we all decide to show up for Ron or Kenny's section, chairs might be an issue...
Do you think they'd mind extra people?

Also, any word on Weiss? I hope he's not one of the "useless" TFs...

:smuggrin: EvilAngelfish

You can attend any section you want, unless they've made changes due to the large class size. Last year everyone would figure out after the first few weeks who the good TF's were and then head to their section, so its fairly common and encouraged. Weiss is a new TF.

this class is challenging and very integrative. i enjoy it very much. hopefully i'll repeat these sentiments after the midterms.

The word on bio is to study the handouts he gives you. One person I worked with commented last year that roughly %50 or more of the questions you see on exams come from the practice problems and past exams he hands out. The questions are very simiar if not the same exact questions.

The word on bio is to study the handouts he gives you. One person I worked with commented last year that roughly %50 or more of the questions you see on exams come from the practice problems and past exams he hands out. The questions are very simiar if not the same exact questions.

hey thanks man - i notice that during lectures and office hours he makes occasional reference to the problem set and provides the solution without knowing that it was in the set. or maybe he does know and wants to give you a treat for listening.

I took Bio over the summer. Fixsen told us that he did not deviate from the fall/spring material, so aside from the compressed format, I think I can speak to his class.

First, you are totally right about the integrativeness (is that a word?) of the class. He told us pretty explicitly that the class is not about regurgitation of the material onto the page. Rather, it is critical thinking about biological topics. So here are some thoughts:

Knowing the material is just the first step. If you just spit back what the books and handouts say, you are in for a big fat C at best. He's pretty explicit about what you do and do not need to know, so don't feel pressure to go much further than that. Where he gets you is the A does to B does to C and produces D. You really have to think intuitively about the questions. There's no perfect strategy to this since everyone thinks differently. I found that past exams were CRITICAL to seeing how he asks questions and how you should study. Just memorizing the Krebs Cycle is pointless. What does it do? What are its products? If you cause it to be disrupted, what other systems are impacted? That's how you have to think. Basically, it's great training for being a doc.

Next, I would not rely too heavily on the book. Again, highlighting passages is regurgitation. I read the book before class to get a sense of the material and where it was going. Then I put it away and concentrated on my notes and handouts then on problem sets. The day before an exam (or week in the fall/spring case) I would simply do past exams.

Problem sets are hard for a reason! Master them. Make flashcards if you need to, but think about what impacts what, not about the details. If you forget a detail, it's a point off, but if you get the concept right then you get almost full credit. Yeah, you know what an alpha helix is, but WHY is it an important aspect of secondary structure. (Because any pp chain can form one) Oh, and disulfide bonds... (thiols to orgo folks) Get comfortable with them and what cool things they enable. The list goes on and on... But that's the kind of stuff you need to think about.

For the exams, here was my strategy.

Multiple Choice: You should be able to explain why the answer is the correct answer. Then you should be able to explain why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If you can't do this or are stuck between two possible answers, put a star next to it and go back to study it--even if you get the answer right. Most MC questions are recycled in some way, so things should look familiar on the exams, but READ THE QUESTION!!! He is sneaky and will change a "not" to an "and" or something like that.

Free response: You will get a sense during lecture what topics are more important than others. If Fixsen should talk about something in depth or go into detail...you can bet money it's going to be on an exam. Put a star next to it in your notes. There are about two or three of these gems per lecture. Know them inside and out. Usually they are systems types of things, i.e. what would mess this whole thing up? Would X act as an allosteric or competitive inhibitor if it did this? Fixsen tends to get happy smiley when talking about them, but as you go through the course, you will develop a sense of what these things are.

A couple other things to consider:

Brush up on your gen chem thermodynamics, delta g, h, s, etc... This will become clear later, but do it now so you're ready.

Do NOT try to memorize details. Cannot say this enough. You will bury yourself trying to do this. Know that you will miss points on an exam for this. Accept this. I bet 95% of our summer class missed a vocab word since it was so esoteric. But it was 3 points out of 200. I saved 20 points by studying the concepts not trying to memorize the itty bitty chemicals or structures. (This goes more for 2nd sem than 1st, but same applies.)

Lab TF's are an untapped resource. Use them!

I can't think of anything else right now, but feel free to shoot me questions if you have 'em. And for full disclosure, I got a B+ in this class. It was the HARDEST (and most rewarding) class I have ever taken and I am proud to say that I got that.

Good luck!!

Ok here is my deal...I'm thinking about post-baccs one being HES. I have a 3.0 gpa and am applying to dental school. I have a few questions regarding what I need to do.

1) I want to start this spring, should I go ahead and apply for the HCP or just enroll in classes.

2) Do you really only take 2 classes a semester and if so do people work as well part time? I ask this because I want to apply to dental for the next cycle as well starting in May. If I start in spring I'll have a semester of classes done but just two?!?! How would that look on my application?

3) By taking only two classes are you considered a full time student and can receive aid especially for housing/appartments?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me because I think this program would be in my best interest but I'm worried since I want to apply by the end of May only have two classes done is meaningless!:scared:

If you can't make Ron's section, go to K. Johnson's section. He is one of the few TF's that have been around for awhile. You will learn sooner or later that some TF's suck and you will find them useless, so I just saved you 3 weeks of pain. Kenny is the man. He explains things very clear, gives handouts, etc.

So true, so true.

Jays2cool4u

1.) You don't need to apply to take the classes. If you have a 3.0 GPA you will need more than a years work part time to get sponsorship. My advice would be to just take the classes you need a la carte if you plan on being here less than 2 full years. The other thing you need to figure out is what classes you need. HES does not offer intro courses in the Spring (i.e. you cannot take bio 1, chem 1, phys 1, etc in January). There are others you can take, but not many.

2.) Some people work part time w/ 2 classes. I've only met a few who worked full time and took 2 classes. Ask JMS..she's one of them and it's not fun.

3.) I don't know much about the loan process, I guess it varies by lender? I know someone taking 2 classes and able to keep payments defered as long is they take 2 classes and do not work at all.

Ok here is my deal...I'm thinking about post-baccs one being HES. I have a 3.0 gpa and am applying to dental school. I have a few questions regarding what I need to do.

1) I want to start this spring, should I go ahead and apply for the HCP or just enroll in classes.

2) Do you really only take 2 classes a semester and if so do people work as well part time? I ask this because I want to apply to dental for the next cycle as well starting in May. If I start in spring I'll have a semester of classes done but just two?!?! How would that look on my application?

3) By taking only two classes are you considered a full time student and can receive aid especially for housing/appartments?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me because I think this program would be in my best interest but I'm worried since I want to apply by the end of May only have two classes done is meaningless!:scared:

I took Bio over the summer. Fixsen told us that he did not deviate from the fall/spring material, so aside from the compressed format, I think I can speak to his class.
Good luck!!

thanks for the words of wisdom - this is all appreciated very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
2.) Some people work part time w/ 2 classes. I've only met a few who worked full time and took 2 classes. Ask JMS..she's one of them and it's not fun.

The only fun part about it is pissing off the people I work for/with....kidding! I'm struggling right now with "the powers that be" in terms of scheduling work with classes, labs, sections, reviews, help sessions, etc. Other than that, it's basically down to a science. More like I've become a robot. My life is the standard WCP^E.... (work, chemistry, physics)^E. Wow, I've gone mad already... Note that sleeping, eating, transportation, and other general necessities of life--including showering--need to be factored in there somewhere. If you plan on working at all while taking 2 classes, don't plan on having a social life.

However, I AM optimistic, and it WILL be done successfully. I may be in a constant state of distress by the end of the semester, but I believe it will eventually pay off. The best advice is to truly figure out just how much you can handle. Be honest and don't try to kid yourself. I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of the classes, but from what I hear it's going to be nuts. Luckily I have experience in taking on too much from undergrad (two majors, three minors, working full-time, honors thesis, etc, etc) Important to note that I was not a science/pre-med major in undergrad, but I was in the top 2% of my class and graduated in 4 years. We'll see how I fare this time around. For those interested in making fun of me as I go insane, I may post updates from time to time for your reading pleasure :D

3.) I don't know much about the loan process, I guess it varies by lender? I know someone taking 2 classes and able to keep payments defered as long is they take 2 classes and do not work at all.

In terms of federal loans, it is still the standard 12 credits to qualify for them (stafford--subsidized AND unsubsidized). Two classes = 8 credits-->not enough to receive federal aid. Private loans are different in that you can get them regardless of credit hours, but they have higher rates and not all can be deferred. Do some research and figure out what's best for your situation. I'm working to pay for school (but the hospital does reimburse me for some of my schooling). Saving the loans for med school.... Unless I somehow convince them that I am wonderwoman and secure a scholarship :laugh:

Word is that tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday nights are supposed to be clear....anyone interested in meeting to work on the Physics lab??

The only fun part about it is pissing off the people I work for/with....kidding! I'm struggling right now with "the powers that be" in terms of scheduling work with classes, labs, sections, reviews, help sessions, etc. Other than that, it's basically down to a science. More like I've become a robot. My life is the standard WCP^E.... (work, chemistry, physics)^E. Wow, I've gone mad already... Note that sleeping, eating, transportation, and other general necessities of life--including showering--need to be factored in there somewhere. If you plan on working at all while taking 2 classes, don't plan on having a social life.

However, I AM optimistic, and it WILL be done successfully. I may be in a constant state of distress by the end of the semester, but I believe it will eventually pay off. The best advice is to truly figure out just how much you can handle. Be honest and don't try to kid yourself. I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of the classes, but from what I hear it's going to be nuts. Luckily I have experience in taking on too much from undergrad (two majors, three minors, working full-time, honors thesis, etc, etc) Important to note that I was not a science/pre-med major in undergrad, but I was in the top 2% of my class and graduated in 4 years. We'll see how I fare this time around. For those interested in making fun of me as I go insane, I may post updates from time to time for your reading pleasure :D

In terms of federal loans, it is still the standard 12 credits to qualify for them (stafford--subsidized AND unsubsidized).
Two classes = 8 credits-->not enough to receive federal aid.
Private loans are different in that you can get them regardless of credit hours, but they have higher rates and not all can be deferred. Do some research and figure out what's best for your situation. I'm working to pay for school (but the hospital does reimburse me for some of my schooling). Saving the loans for med school.... Unless I somehow convince them that I am wonderwoman and secure a scholarship :laugh:

If one is in the Health Careers Program, then a minimum of 8 credits can be taken to be eligible for federal loans since this is a diploma granting program. If you are not in the Health Careers Program, then private loans, scholarships or paying out of pocket would be the only other options.

If one is in the Health Careers Program, then a minimum of 8 credits can be taken to be eligible for federal loans since this is a diploma granting program. If you are not in the Health Careers Program, then private loans, scholarships or paying out of pocket would be the only other options.

Ooh...maybe I need to investigate this option next year! The financial aid office told me 8 credits didn't qualify (in HCP & will receive diploma). As much as I don't want any loans through post-bacc, working only part-time sounds very nice....

For those interested in making fun of me as I go insane, I may post updates from time to time for your reading pleasure :D

You need to give me full podcasting rights to your nervous breakdown :smuggrin:

the part when dr. tucci talks about gloves and gloved people - that is straight out of naked gun 2 1/2.

Someone in bio office hours said that they were worried about getting test questions out of left field "like in physics last year" - anyone care to comment?

Someone in bio office hours said that they were worried about getting test questions out of left field "like in physics last year" - anyone care to comment?

How about telekinesis and electrocuted cows? As an outsider, those seemed pretty "out of left field" to me. If last year's final exam is posted on the physics site, take a look. I'm sure some of the HES folks will elaborate more.

Anyone know if he's as good in lab as he is in section?? I've been assigned to his lab. Maybe the Powers That Be in the physics world have "tossed me a bone"?! :p

If I took general chemistry already (1 year of it) can I still be admitted into the program?

I need some advice from you HESers

I have a sad undergrad GPA of 2.98 and was looking at HES to take all of my postbac work (I took NO science in undergrad). Obviously I NEED all A's in these science courses. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like that happens at HES. Is anyone actually doing really well in these courses? As in 4.0? All I've heard that people learn a lot and are challenged...

I am willing to study my butt off and not even have a job if it will get top grades, but I already went to a top tier undergrad where you killed yourself to get a B. I'm not willing to make that mistake again.

Thoughts?

I have a sad undergrad GPA of 2.98 and was looking at HES to take all of my postbac work (I took NO science in undergrad). Obviously I NEED all A's in these science courses. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like that happens at HES. Is anyone actually doing really well in these courses? As in 4.0? All I've heard that people learn a lot and are challenged...

I am willing to study my butt off and not even have a job if it will get top grades, but I already went to a top tier undergrad where you killed yourself to get a B. I'm not willing to make that mistake again.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if you put the work in it is very likely to get at least a B/B+/A- in each class, as they require. It is quite difficult to get a straight A in each semester of each class, depending on your background in science, learning curve, etc. Having said that, you would need to be downright unmotivated to get less than a B in either course. Each class gives you more than enough resoures to succeed.

Thoughts?
High GPA's definitely happen - but the kids that do well in these classes work their asses off. I'm talking about reading extra textbooks, doing problems in extra textbooks, etc. The good news is that a great GPA in this program is highly respected by ADCOMS.

I don't know about killing yourself to get A's. Some classes are more about memorization and some less- I found that I could do A A- with a reasonable amount of work and I'm no genius. Some stuff that people found easy (certain stuff in physics) was very hard for me- the first terms in both Gen Chem and Orgo, however, were a breeze. I have a 3.8.

If you want another- much cheaper if you are from Mass - program you might want to consider UMass Boston. I took bio there over the summer, simply because Harvard summer tuition was way beyond what I could afford. The first term was competent, but by no means difficult (though people around me were complaining: To me it was a welcome break from Harvard Extension, and I was working full time!!!). The second term was a joke. I mean, seriously. No academic standards whatsoever.

I heard the same mixed reports (and the fact that it is a lot easier) from others I really respect.

Not to say that the UMass Boston people were in anyway less smart- they were, however, much less privileged (ie had to work more) or just not used to having to do any work in school.

However, despite that I believe that the UMassBoston post bacc can get you into certain schools. It depends, among other things, on how competative you want to be... there is no doubt in my mind that despite the famous grade inflation, Harvard Extension is much much better.

I personally enjoyed it, though it was a little grating to meet some of the competition- classmates who had the money - mostly from their parents - to do nothing but take two classes all year. I would have loved that, too, and I'm not criticizing them, they'll work plenty hard in med school and residency, but when you are wroking your ass off in a full time job and two rigorous evening class, it is just hard, to be honest, not to be jealous.

Oh well.

Point is, you can make A-, at least, if you are willing to work hard enough. You also have to keep in mind that sadly, your purpose is to succeed in the exam, not only understand the material. But you need to have the time and focus to get there. Several questions you might ask yourself, if, for example, you are taking two classes with lab.

Do you have 20-30 REAL hours a week to devote to studying, attending lecture, getting to class/study group/etc?

How good are you at math? Not calculus, but everything up to that? You don't want to spend your time in Intro Chem and Phys struggling with math rather than with the basic concepts, as I saw some do. A good benchmark is if you find the SAT I math fairly straightforward.

Can you focus on the important details rather than trying to understand every little bit? That is particularly important to Orgo, where you are simply FLUDDED.

Anyway, for those who are wiling to/have the time to/can afford to study hard, Harvard extension is a great option.

Good luck.

1159126759840.png

HAHAHAHAHAHA....I certainly hope not! Good luck to everyone for the first round. Hope you all are holding up well. As for me, sorry Sundarban, no nervous breakdowns as of yet--although the first physics lab certainly tested me!! :D

Hey everyone,

I currently go to a state school (California State University) where the science department isn't exactly great. I didn't want to take any of my pre-reqs there. I plan to graduate with my degree either this semester or next. I want to go to the HCP program at Harvard. I don't have the best GPA (3.0), so will it be hard for me to get into Med school considering my BS was from a State college? I am also considering caribbean schools after I get my pre-reqs done since my GPA is on the low side (SGU, AUC, SABA).

Hey everyone,

I currently go to a state school (California State University) where the science department isn't exactly great. I didn't want to take any of my pre-reqs there. I plan to graduate with my degree either this semester or next. I want to go to the HCP program at Harvard. I don't have the best GPA (3.0), so will it be hard for me to get into Med school considering my BS was from a State college? I am also considering caribbean schools after I get my pre-reqs done since my GPA is on the low side (SGU, AUC, SABA).

You don't have to "get in" to take classes here. I'd consider Ross before SABA. SABA does not qualify for federal loans, so you won't get any financial aide from the government like you would ST G, AUC, and Ross. Furthermore they do not require the MCAT. This may seem great at first glance, however if you cannot do well enough on the MCAT, you should probably think of other career options before going into 200K+ debt and not able to pass the other (argubly tougher) exams required to become a licensed physician.

Yeah I'll probably want to go to the one's that have federal loans. I think if I try hard enough that I could do well on the MCAT's, it's just the glide year that discourages me ( I know....1 year isn't worth the hassle) Well that's a long time away anyways, I should focus on doing well right now. I'm currently in California, is it worth it for me to go take classes at HES? I really want a challenging and strong program and it seems like HES has that, for cheap as well.

I'm currently in California, is it worth it for me to go take classes at HES? I really want a challenging and strong program and it seems like HES has that, for cheap as well.

Absolutely! The toughest thing is trying to balance $city living$ with education. It's not the cost of classes, but the cost of living thats brutal. I'd consider at PT job if you're not planning on taking out loans for living purposes. FT job will kill your grades if you plan on doing this in 2 years.

Hello,

I know one can take courses during Summer, at Harvard Summer School. I was wondering if I could take a course at Harvard College, during regular (Spring) term. Do you guys would know about this? It's just because I would like to take in Spring a course that at HES is only offered during Fall.

Thanks

Hello,

I know one can take courses during Summer, at Harvard Summer School. I was wondering if I could take a course at Harvard College, during regular (Spring) term. Do you guys would know about this? It's just because I would like to take in Spring a course that at HES is only offered during Fall.

Thanks

I don't think you can do that but I'd call the college registrar to confirm. The credits you take at the college (if they let you) will not count towards credits earned at HES sponsorship if you're planning on applying to the program and take a certain amount of credits for sponsorship.

I don't think you can do that but I'd call the college registrar to confirm. The credits you take at the college (if they let you) will not count towards credits earned at HES sponsorship if you're planning on applying to the program and take a certain amount of credits for sponsorship.

Do summer courses count towards sponsorship?

I don't know about killing yourself to get A's. Some classes are more about memorization and some less- I found that I could do A A- with a reasonable amount of work and I'm no genius. Some stuff that people found easy (certain stuff in physics) was very hard for me- the first terms in both Gen Chem and Orgo, however, were a breeze. I have a 3.8.

I agree with part of this - I'm in chem & physics right now. The material up to the first exam isn't challenging in either. At the same time, the amount of raw knowledge I'm having to learn in Bio dwarfs my other two classes. I'd say that I prepare at least 3-4 hours for every bio lecture (which are twice a week) - that doesn't include time for studying for tests and doing problems. For chem, we go over every part of the material in class - so a quick read leaves you more than prepared. For physics, if I wasn't paying for classes I wouldn't even go to lecture - we never learn anything of use (for grade purposes - ex. being that he skipped over vector addition).

for those taking the chem test this thursday, how are you doing? one of the problems on the sample test has a fixsenesque challenge to it.

for those taking the chem test this thursday, how are you doing? one of the problems on the sample test has a fixsenesque challenge to it.
What problem would that be? They all appear to be straightforward - by Fixsenesque I assume you mean that we know A&B and need to think about it for a minute to conjecture C-R. :)

I bet you mean the mass/volume mixture - it's actually one of the shorter problems if you do it properly.

I didn't care for getting points off on the homework for dissolving both protons of sulfuric acid. I know that it's wrong to put it in the net ionic equation, but writing down two different equations for one reaction just seems wrong to me. Plus, in the book they dissolve both in the net ionic equation under the explanation of the presence of the strong base. I guess I'll start putting asterisks and explanations on all of my answers too.

If you take them at Harvard Summer School, yes.
Thought so - just making sure. Anyone care to suffer through summer orgo with me? I was shocked to find out that class gets up over 300 people.

What problem would that be? They all appear to be straightforward - by Fixsenesque I assume you mean that we know A&B and need to think about it for a minute to conjecture C-R. :)

it was problem 4, that 250-gram white solid mixture problem. it took me a while to put all of the information to good use.

The one where you keep adding stuff in? Make a chart off to one side and keep track of what you have leftover from each reaction, then just step through each one. It sucks, but that's chem for you.

How did the gen chem exam go? Median?

How did the gen chem exam go? Median?

Israel said they would announce statistics on Thursday. I'm betting it will be higher than you expect for the first exam - aside from the #6 fiasco, it was straightforward.

I didn't circle "Precipitation" in the neutralization reaction - but other than that I was fine.

Did the common ion sheet have bicarbonate listed on it? I thought they had it listed as hydrogen carbonate or something like that. I remember seeing it in the book (they use NaHCO3 to clean up highway spills IIRC), but a lot of people I know didn't know what bicarbonate was.

Physics is in a few hours, how does everyone feel?

Worse yet, Bio is in 6 days - how's it coming? I finally got into the practice exams, SO glad that there are multiple choice answers. I feel like those can be a good way to lock in some points that you know you'll get.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that Photosystems I & II can receive some photons, get excited, and go fornicate themselves.

First off, thank you all for your ideas and input. I have literally skimmed through this whole thread, from page 1 to page 10, because I'm thinking very seriously about uprooting and doing the whole premed thing. I've been impressed by Harvard's Extension program thus far as well. I can't find the answer to 3 things though:

1. Are there any statistics that show how successfull students have been who've gone through the program? Any idea of what percentage are accpeted to medical school?

2. I'm guessing that there aren't any "linkage" schoools since I've not seen it listed on the webpage anywhere. So are there any schools that the program has an especially good relationship with?

3. This one is going to sound vain on my part perhaps (I'm trying to cover all of my bases), but when you're done with the program what exact name to you put on your resume/applications? Is it "Harvard University"? "Harvard Extension School"? Most of you don't care about this perhaps, and I agree, in the end it's what you learn not where you were necessarily that counts, but I'm just thinking ahead to my future and how people/companies/committees will perceive this experience. Either way Harvard or HES, I'm thinking this one might be a match for me.

Thanks! :)
DUT99002

The answers are in this thread (somwhere) but I'll summarize:

1. Are there any statistics that show how successfull students have been who've gone through the program? Any idea of what percentage are accpeted to medical school?

It's been said 80%+ for those who've received sponsorship eventually get into medical school. No numbers for those who do not attain sponsorship.

2. I'm guessing that there aren't any "linkage" schoools since I've not seen it listed on the webpage anywhere. So are there any schools that the program has an especially good relationship with?

There is no official linkage with any school (Including Harvard). However last year a group of medical school admissions members from Dartmouth, Harvard, New Jersey, GW, Wash U, talked to us and said they all look highly upon successful HES students.

3. This one is going to sound vain on my part perhaps (I'm trying to cover all of my bases), but when you're done with the program what exact name to you put on your resume/applications? Is it "Harvard University"? "Harvard Extension School"? Most of you don't care about this perhaps, and I agree, in the end it's what you learn not where you were necessarily that counts, but I'm just thinking ahead to my future and how people/companies/committees will perceive this experience. Either way Harvard or HES, I'm thinking this one might be a match for me.

You are not taking classes at Harvard College, so your transcript will not say Harvard College. I imagine it would say Harvard Extension, Division of Continuing Education, or something to that effect, but nothing disguising the fact that you did not take these classes at Harvard College.

for those taking orgo and bio - how would you rank them in difficulty?

i'm curious in how students on other campuses would fare if they all have fixsenistic professors. my cousin is taking ap bio and i fed him a problem set question, and all his rote memorization went down the drain.

bio at HES is an awesome class so far, don't get me wrong - yet i'm sure there are students out there who have easy bio professors, raking in those A's, boosting their bcpm gpa, and getting interviews.

of course, whether they'll succeed in passing the usmle's is a different thing.

for those taking orgo and bio - how would you rank them in difficulty?

i'm curious in how students on other campuses would fare if they all have fixsenistic professors. my cousin is taking ap bio and i fed him a problem set question, and all his rote memorization went down the drain.

bio at HES is an awesome class so far, don't get me wrong - yet i'm sure there are students out there who have easy bio professors, raking in those A's, boosting their bcpm gpa, and getting interviews.

of course, whether they'll succeed in passing the usmle's is a different thing.

I would love (and do need) an easy A in bio - but I feel like the level at which we're comfortable with the material is going to increase MCAT scores. Most "common concepts" are second nature to us - we spend our time thinking about upper level stuff.

Speaking of which - does anyone know how Fixsen grades? I just took my first practice exam and WOW - I have honestly never, in my life, spent the entire allotted time for an exam. I was finishing up the last question with almost zero time left - it was a very intense test. I got 90%, which I can only pray would get me an A in the class - does he curve? If not, will someone please put me out of my misery? His syllabus has a sentence about grade breakdown, but not grade levels & curving . . .