Official DMU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!

Your getting 1400 Sq. ft. for $750. Thats incredible. If you could send me any info you have on those townhouses that would be great. What was the total cost on that unit if you don't mind or are you renting? Any info you have would be a great help. Thanks

I'm renting. I'll give you info if your interested.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm renting. I'll give you info if your interested.

I know the website says June is the best time to find a place, but what was your experience? When do you think would be ideal?

I know the website says June is the best time to find a place, but what was your experience? When do you think would be ideal?

Some places won't allow you to hold an apartment until you officially move in while others will. I came out in April (during Easter Vacation) and found a lot of free apartments. However, like I said, some wanted me to pay all the rent until August while others were willing to take a down payment to hold it. My own experience says to go before June, but, that is just me (n=1).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places won't allow you to hold an apartment until you officially move in while others will. I came out in April (during Easter Vacation) and found a lot of free apartments. However, like I said, some wanted me to pay all the rent until August while others were willing to take a down payment to hold it. My own experience says to go before June, but, that is just me (n=1).

can we just pretend that we aren't trained to think like n=1? LOL, that made me smile.

What's going on, everybody? No posts in over a week :eek: Anyone hear anything new from admissions?

No! I have been waiting for the lady from the dual degree program to get back to me. I am really interested in the program, and need to talk to her about the process. Any current DMUers doing dual degree?

No! I have been waiting for the lady from the dual degree program to get back to me. I am really interested in the program, and need to talk to her about the process. Any current DMUers doing dual degree?

a few of my friends are doing it if you send me a few questions I can shoot them an email and get back to you with the answers. Do you want to do international health care?

a few of my friends are doing it if you send me a few questions I can shoot them an email and get back to you with the answers. Do you want to do international health care?

I'm not sure what I want to do. International health would be awesome, my fiance and I would love to do some work in some poverished places someday. However, I just see the huge benefits of having a MPH or MHA, and the doors it could open in fifteen years. I am mainly curious when the best time to start the program is, and how much extra work they are spending on it. If you could find that out, I would be very grateful. Thanks :D

Hey Futuredoctr--

I'm currently in the dual degree progam. The earliest you can enter the dual degree program at DMU (DO/MHA - MPH...etc.) is your 2nd semester of 1st year. There will be lunch meetings to talk abou the dual degree options once you start school. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to answer them. But for now...don't worry about starting anything...that doesn't happen until you're on campus!

Cheers-

J

Prof. Mueller sent my wife a nice acceptance letter ("Now that you have been accepted, we would like you to actually come here") with personal comments from him. Not sure if he needed to do that or not, but it was nice.

My wife wasn't much for Organic Chemistry (and her grades showed that), but she liked Biochemistry and got an "A" in it. Mueller is a professor of Biochemistry there at DMU.

come on class of 2011, let's keep this thread going. When is everyone heading out to Des Moines? Has ayone recieved anything in the mail from them yet after submitting their deposit? (I paid back on december 8th and haven't heard anything from them since) My father-in-law offered to pay the down paymet on a home so I may be heading out there in june with my wife to do some house hunting otherwise I really want to move in to the townhouses jbone showed me. Very exciting times everyone.

Wife graduates the first week of May here and starts at DMU in the fall. We will move to Des Moines from Colorado Springs area in late May I think. Will be selling our current house, and since it is unlikely it will sell by the "when we want to move day," will probably be renting for 3-6 months there. Plus, have a VA loan on this house here, not keen on having two mortgages at the same time or getting a bridge loan. Need to research some more. But houses are pretty cheap there. Will try to buy one near the campus down the road.

I will transfer in my job as I work for a large telecom company and will just work in another building, in another state. I know quite a few people in Cedar Rapids and one or two in Des Moines in my work.

We paid her seat deposit via credit card, and they sent notifications that we were good to go (Did $500/$500). No smail mail regarding school specifics. I am thinking February we should be getting some stuff. Not worrying about that.

Wife is looking forward to it all; I am looking forward to being a "hanger-on" ;) as well as maybe getting an MBA, etc. for me. I have helped to guide her along this route since the beginning, so exciting times for all. Last summer, we decided to have her take the Princeton Review prep class for the MCAT. With her 5 practice test average of 21, things didn't look too promising :( , but she got a 30 on the MCAT (in spite of her feeling she didn't do too well on it), and life was all roses. We worked out which schools she (and I with my job, etc.) would be best suited for and DMU was at the top. With DMU average acceptance MCAT of 'bout 25+, would have been a tougher nut to crack with a 21.

I like the direction we are headed. :thumbup:

I love the Springs. My wife and I lived in Rockrimmon for about 5 years (before we were married, we never knew eachother while we were in CO). I would love to go back but its just exploding down there. My Bro. lives in Thornton up by Denver and loves it but its so expensive now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also paid my deposit, and the wifey and I are flying out on 2/8 to scope out the area and houses.

I have also paid my deposit, and the wifey and I are flying out on 2/8 to scope out the area and houses.

glad to see that you guys are ready to go...lol...feel a little bit different after reading all of these posts as it seems like many of you are already well established (families, house hunting...etc), I am most likely going to move in this summer and get an apt situated...I do have a gf and she most likely will come down with me (been together for like 5 years), she will be looking for a job around the area to save up money and get her masters in education. Good luck on everything...go class of 2011!!!:thumbup:

glad to see that you guys are ready to go...lol...feel a little bit different after reading all of these posts as it seems like many of you are already well established (families, house hunting...etc), I am most likely going to move in this summer and get an apt situated...I do have a gf and she most likely will come down with me (been together for like 5 years), she will be looking for a job around the area to save up money and get her masters in education. Good luck on everything...go class of 2011!!!:thumbup:

Oh...and I almost forgot...go bears go!!!...DMU loves the bears!!....right?....lol:D

Oh...and I almost forgot...go bears go!!!...DMU loves the bears!!....right?....lol:D

Do fat kids love cake?? DA BEARS!!!!

My wife is also a teacher. The suburbs of DSM are going quite quickly & there have quite a few new jobs so that's good for those of us who rely on our Sugar-mommas:D

I'll be heading to DSM sometime in February (hopefully) to scope out houses (pending loan pre-approval from a DSM-area company). If we can't get pre-approved, we'll most likely be living downtown. Seems like there are some nice and affordable lofts with plenty of space for rent all over, so we'll see what happens. With a wedding two months away, however, housing issues are kind of taking a back seat.

I love the Springs. My wife and I lived in Rockrimmon for about 5 years (before we were married, we never knew eachother while we were in CO). I would love to go back but its just exploding down there. My Bro. lives in Thornton up by Denver and loves it but its so expensive now.

Ah, yes...We lived right near Rockrimmon and Delmonico. By "lived," I mean rented an apartment. We like it a lot up there, but real pricey. Doing better now than then financially, but full speed ahead to Des Moines. I am not a Colorado native but have been here for a long time. Time to live elsewhere for a while.

Do fat kids love cake?? DA BEARS!!!!

My wife is also a teacher. The suburbs of DSM are going quite quickly & there have quite a few new jobs so that's good for those of us who rely on our Sugar-mommas:D

Never thought I'd be rooting for the Bears in this Super Bowl. I was looking forward to a Pats Revenge of 1986! Alas.... All I can say now is - GO BEARS!

Hey guys, I haven't been accepted by DMU yet, but I hope to hear some great news next week. I was just looking at apartments and what is available and found some nice ones out in West Des Moines. Anyone else look out there? I think it would be a 15min drive.

From what I understand west Des Moines is the place to be. Newer apartments, homes, shopping centers etc. Good luck! We hope to hear some good news from you in the near future.

From what I understand west Des Moines is the place to be. Newer apartments, homes, shopping centers etc. Good luck! We hope to hear some good news from you in the near future.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
correct

Thanks guys, all of you are awesome and so supportive. One of the students that I spoke with on my interview day that lived in W. DM said that it takes her about 10-15 min to get to school (I think she got to school at 6am to study) and that if she left during "rush" hour it might take twice as long. That doesn't sound so bad coming from Chicago and being use to bumper to bumper and taking 45min-1hr to go 8-10 miles. DM keeps getting better and better. The thing with W. DM is that it seems like you get more apartment/condo for your money than if you live close to the campus. Is that right? Seems like comparable apartments in W.DM are about $100-150 cheaper a month than those close to campus. Maybe I need to see what other options are available closer to the campus.

Thanks guys, all of you are awesome and so supportive. One of the students that I spoke with on my interview day that lived in W. DM said that it takes her about 10-15 min to get to school (I think she got to school at 6am to study) and that if she left during "rush" hour it might take twice as long. That doesn't sound so bad coming from Chicago and being use to bumper to bumper and taking 45min-1hr to go 8-10 miles. DM keeps getting better and better. The thing with W. DM is that it seems like you get more apartment/condo for your money than if you live close to the campus. Is that right? Seems like comparable apartments in W.DM are about $100-150 cheaper a month than those close to campus. Maybe I need to see what other options are available closer to the campus.

Actually, I live in West Des Moines and I leave probably 20 min. before class (this is Des Moines "rush hour") and get there with time to spare. It's about 10-15 min. no matter what time. She probably chats on the phone while doing her make-up while eating a bowl of cereal. It's not a long drive at all and it's all freeway. Let me know if any of ya'll need some advice on housing. My wife and I looked at about 15 places before settling down here and might be able to same you some time if you are renting.

Actually, I live in West Des Moines and I leave probably 20 min. before class (this is Des Moines "rush hour") and get there with time to spare. It's about 10-15 min. no matter what time. She probably chats on the phone while doing her make-up while eating a bowl of cereal. It's not a long drive at all and it's all freeway. Let me know if any of ya'll need some advice on housing. My wife and I looked at about 15 places before settling down here and might be able to same you some time if you are renting.

Jbone, get back to your own damn thread.

Also, just another opinion, but I used to live in WDM and found it rather annoying. My old roomie and I both moved to des moines to be closer to school. Yeah, the rush hour is nothing like Philly (sitting on 76 for 45 minutes to go 8 miles) but, when you only have 30 minutes to get to class and something happens on 235 and you are waiting for 35 minutes, you tend to get a little pissed. The 35 minute wait was a rare occasion but, a few accidents is all it takes. I have also found myself more invovled since I moved closer. I am one of those people who can't study in the library so, after class, I would just go back to my room. When I lived in WDM that would usually mean I wasn't coming back. Now that I am only three blocks away, however, I can just walk to campus. I guess my own opinion would be that if you have a family, look into WDM. If not, I would say try to find a place that is closer.

Hey current DMUers, when did you get your financial aid packets last year? Thanks

For those of you that are MSI or MSII at DMU, how did you find a roomate at DMU if you didn't know any friends that were going there before your first year? Did you just get your place and advertise it on blackboard that you needed a roomate? I think that I will need a roomate to help cut the cost of rent and I don't know anyone that will be attending next year. So I am not sure how one would do this?

For those of you that are MSI or MSII at DMU, how did you find a roomate at DMU if you didn't know any friends that were going there before your first year? Did you just get your place and advertise it on blackboard that you needed a roomate? I think that I will need a roomate to help cut the cost of rent and I don't know anyone that will be attending next year. So I am not sure how one would do this?

You can find a roomate through this thread or use the portal once they give you access. I used the portal to find mine, and others used SDN.

You can find a roomate through this thread or use the portal once they give you access. I used the portal to find mine, and others used SDN.

How did it work out? Hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone that has similar studying habits and easy to get along with.

How did it work out? Hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone that has similar studying habits and easy to get along with.

It's fine. I study only at school, so I wasn't real concerned with who I live with. I sleep here and eat lunch here, that's basically it.

When did you all get your portal access packages?
I paid the first installment deposit in December, do you have to pay the whole amount before they send it to you?

I'm also gonna be looking for a roommate too, damn it's too expensive to get a single room apartment!

haha well I'm coming from a Canadian city......I guess I have no clue how much rent is in America.

:laugh: Yah - Look up some 1 br in Boston or NYC!! LOL!!
Anyway I know it isn't cheap. It just depends on your perspective!

When did you all get your portal access packages?
I paid the first installment deposit in December, do you have to pay the whole amount before they send it to you?

I'm also gonna be looking for a roommate too, damn it's too expensive to get a single room apartment!

I think we got access in like March. I don't remember if it was dependent on deposit or not, I think everyone got it at the same time and wasn't dependent on deposit.

haha well I'm coming from a Canadian city......I guess I have no clue how much rent is in America.

OH NO!!! We let a Canadian in this year?? What is osteopathic medical education coming to?

Totally just kidding of course. The only thing I have against Canada is the French (for being associated in anyway w/ that d-bag Chirac) & Celine Dion:thumbdown:

And as I said the only thing I have against Canada is Celine Dione & the French.

Funny joke Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam lead singer, from Seattle) once told about Canada; Canada is kind of like your grandma's attic...you don't go up there very often, but when you do you're like, "What the f!@$ is all this ****." :)

And as I said the only thing I have against Canada is Celine Dione & the French.

Funny joke Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam lead singer, from Seattle) once told about Canada; Canada is kind of like your grandma's attic...you don't go up there very often, but when you do you're like, "What the f!@$ is all this ****." :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OML, I almost fell of my chair while reading this.

man, have you ever been to Montreal? That city rocks. Canada is a pretty cool country as it is, but the French only make it better. (But, I love France and the people, seriously, some of the nicest people I have ever met)

hey, Canadians aren't so bad, they invented curling. I have no clue what the hell the use of that sport is or what drunken, ice frozen, couldn't get on his hockey team Canadian came up with it but...you gotta love the 51st state. Canada, you are far better than Jersey!!:thumbup:

I love the Eddie Vedder quote! Seriously though Canada is like this strange combination of European ethics and American technology. Vancouver, B.C. is pretty cool though and who can resist Whistler!

Does no one have a sense of humor except Jbone anymore?? How is Eddie Vedder's joke not hilarious??

I am glad to see that no one is sticking up for Celine Dione though...

hahaha, there are actually a few Canadians that go here now. I know of one in the DPM program. She and I trade off "American's are fat and Canadians are the long lost Uncle that you wish would have stayed long lost" jokes. I thought the Pearl Jam joke was funny I just don't like Pearl Jam so it's hard for me to laugh (CREED ALL THE WAY)!! Sorry...

The Eddie Vedder joke had me busting out laughing and please don't even get me started on my disdain for Celine Dion. I honestly get physically angry whenever I see her "singing" on TV. I'm pretty sure I'd punch her if I ever ran into her.

The Eddie Vedder joke had me busting out laughing and please don't even get me started on my disdain for Celine Dion. I honestly get physically angry whenever I see her "singing" on TV. I'm pretty sure I'd punch her if I ever ran into her.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Love to see that BEAK punched right back through her face. LOL!!
Damn, too much physiology. Sleepy time. :sleep:

toucansamflyingright.jpg
celine-breaks-ears.jpg

"ONCE MORE YOU CALLED ME A *****....................Freakin Canada rocks eh"

BAM! Right in the kisser

:thumbdown:
hahaha, there are actually a few Canadians that go here now. I know of one in the DPM program. She and I trade off "American's are fat and Canadians are the long lost Uncle that you wish would have stayed long lost" jokes. I thought the Pearl Jam joke was funny I just don't like Pearl Jam so it's hard for me to laugh (CREED ALL THE WAY)!! Sorry...

Jamers,

I truly feel sorry for you now that you are going to try to pass Creed off as a credible rock band :thumbdown: . I miss the good 'ol days of growing up listening to the real alternative rock of Pearl Jam & Nirvana. Mike McCready on guitar...doesn't get much better & probably most the reason they were voted greatest American rock band of ALL TIME in 2005. Seattle grunge bands is where it's at. There's ton of stuff from the early 90's that never made it mainstream that is probably so freaking awesome.

I wish Eric Clapton would come out w/ something new too. That guy can really play. Reminiscing about the good 'ol days is so much more fun than Repro or Boards :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.