Official DMU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Congratulations to everyone for getting accepted to DMU. I wanted to start this thread so I could get to know some of my potential classmates. Let me know who you are and when you interviewed and/or heard your good news. Thanks.

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
2005: http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/dmumatch

HOD

Members don't see this ad.

Got my acceptance on 10/10, interviewed on 9/29. Loved the school, but not making decision just yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo Hoo!! I also got an acceptance yesterday by email. I am pretty excited about DMU!

:luck: to everyone!

Woo Hoo!! I also got an acceptance yesterday by email. I am pretty excited about DMU!

:luck: to everyone!

jilli, when did you interview?? i'm eagerly awaiting acceptance....err...word from DMU ;)

jilli, when did you interview?? i'm eagerly awaiting acceptance....err...word from DMU ;)

9/28..... you'll probably hear back next week.
:luck:

Hey Everyone!

Congratulations to everyone for getting accepted to DMU. I wanted to start this thread so I could get to know some of my potential classmates. Let me know who you are and when you interviewed and/or heard your good news. Thanks.

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
2005: http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/dmumatch

HOD

You guys cannot be starting a 2011 thread yet, we haven't even finished our first year. BOO or something.

hey, congrats everyone! I'm just hoppin over here to say "sup" after getting my acceptance yesterday. Still deciding, but DMU is at the top of the list right now:p

hey, congrats everyone! I'm just hoppin over here to say "sup" after getting my acceptance yesterday. Still deciding, but DMU is at the top of the list right now:p
Congrats to you too NjD00.

Interviewed oct 5, accepted I think Oct 17th...DMU is definitely a top choice after my visit....just waiting to see if the other schools that I might get an interview at will be as good....congrats to everyone else

Interviewed oct 5, accepted I think Oct 17th...DMU is definitely a top choice after my visit....just waiting to see if the other schools that I might get an interview at will be as good....congrats to everyone else
Congrats UIC Killa!

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys cannot be starting a 2011 thread yet, we haven't even finished our first year. BOO or something.

Agreed! I think people need to decide where they are GOING before starting class threads!! LOL!! :laugh: (We're only HOW many weeks into this school year??!!)

I have an interview 11/16 at DMU and 11/20 for Touro NV, I hope some accepts me!!!:D

So what's the deal w/3rd year? Are we going to have to set up all of our own rotations ourselves, or is this no longer going to be the case??
I called the admissions office, and they wouldn't give me a definite on anything, including what hospitals we would rotate through. :confused:

So what's the deal w/3rd year? Are we going to have to set up all of our own rotations ourselves, or is this no longer going to be the case??
I called the admissions office, and they wouldn't give me a definite on anything, including what hospitals we would rotate through. :confused:
This may be because they are re-working rotations right now. I have heard that it is possible that all of 3rd year rotations could be in the state of IA. 4th year rotations could then be set up elsewhere.

Not sure where the "powers that be" are at with that decision, and who knows if this will end up being the case anyway. That's just what I've heard as a lowly OMS1. There are pro's and con's to having it this way IMO.

Bottom line: Don't pay attention to people in threads that say "At DMU you're on your own for setting up rotations - nobody will help you" That is garbage, you will have help setting up rotations...

This may be because they are re-working rotations right now. I have heard that it is possible that all of 3rd year rotations could be in the state of IA. 4th year rotations could then be set up elsewhere.

Not sure where the "powers that be" are at with that decision, and who knows if this will end up being the case anyway. That's just what I've heard as a lowly OMS1. There are pro's and con's to having it this way IMO.

Bottom line: Don't pay attention to people in threads that say "At DMU you're on your own for setting up rotations - nobody will help you" That is garbage, you will have help setting up rotations...

Thanks for the help back to reasonable thinking. (I did let a few posts get me carried away for some dumb reason....)

Alright, folks, I've made the final decision to attend DMU and will be sending my deposit in after Thanksgiving. Anyone else decide to take the plunge?

Cool I've sent in my deposit for DMU podiatry, see you guys next year.

That's it....DMU it is :D

Paid my deposit today online, sending the paper in the mail tomorrow.
I was accepted to KCOM, PCOM, and COMP, DMU had the most comfortable seats in the first year classroom.

Alright, folks, I've made the final decision to attend DMU and will be sending my deposit in after Thanksgiving. Anyone else decide to take the plunge?

Not yet. Money talks... :D

I think Orthodoc needs a good healthy dose of Peer Pressure;)

I think Orthodoc needs a good healthy dose of Peer Pressure;)

Shh! You're interrupting me! ;) Ahem. Now where was I...
"I will not be swayed by nice, new buildings, laptops and surgical skills labs!"
"I will not be swayed by nice, new buildings, laptops and surgical skills labs!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shh! You're interrupting me! ;) Ahem. Now where was I...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck to you then. :thumbup:

Whats up guys, I also got accepted to DMU. Wasn't thrilled at first, but the more I think about it the more I could see myself going there. I'm still thinking about this "plunge". Keep talking DMU up, it may sway me.

Good luck to you then. :thumbup:

Well I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to take that, but I was kidding around w/NjD, y'know?! Hopefully it didn't make anyone feel defensive cause I was just playin'. Truth is I love DMU - just not for these features as a FIRST, is all.

(As much as these ARE great features of DMU, can anyone blame me for not seeing them as the most important parts to making this decision??)

Well I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to take that, but I was kidding around w/NjD, y'know?! Hopefully it didn't make anyone feel defensive cause I was just playin'. Truth is I love DMU - just not for these features, is all.

(As much as these ARE great features of DMU, can anyone blame me for not seeing them as the important parts to making this decision??)

No, I wasn't being mean. Just playin around. Sorry, sarcasm isn't expressed very well in these forums.

You just seem skeptical towards those that actually want the extra goodies ALONG WITH a great education that's all. There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to DMU besides a great computer/surgical labs/ and a beautiful campus. These things, however, are an added bonus that many of us love and feel it will help us accomplish our goals. Anyone who made their choice to attend DMU solely on the fact that they get a laptop/surgical lab/nice campus etc. would be an idiot. The education you receive here is top notch. I would put our students against any others out there MD/DO and we would do just fine if not do better. It's just the fact that DMU will make almost any accommodation for their students to help them succeed. And that is a HUGE reason I chose DMU over several other schools.

Another thing is that nice campus/laptops/surgical centers/ etc don't just grow on trees. A LARGE chunk of it comes from donations usually from its Alumni. I don't know about you but if I hated my education or felt that it was mediocre and didn’t get me anywhere, I wouldn't be giving my school much money. Would you? As a matter of fact, they have received a record amount of $ from their alumni that will be offered in scholarships in the future.

Happy students=Happy graduates=Happy school from the success and donations from students. Simple formula that many schools STILL fail to realize.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your choice no matter where it is. Just a lowly first year…but if anyone has questions about DMU, drop me a PM.

No, I wasn't being mean. Just playin around. Sorry, sarcasm isn't expressed very well in these forums.

You just seem skeptical towards those that actually want the extra goodies ALONG WITH a great education that's all. There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to DMU besides a great computer/surgical labs/ and a beautiful campus. These things, however, are an added bonus that many of us love and feel it will help us accomplish our goals. Anyone who made their choice to attend DMU solely on the fact that they get a laptop/surgical lab/nice campus etc. would be an idiot. The education you receive here is top notch. I would put our students against any others out there MD/DO and we would do just fine if not do better. It's just the fact that DMU will make almost any accommodation for their students to help them succeed. And that is a HUGE reason I chose DMU over several other schools.

Another thing is that nice campus/laptops/surgical centers/ etc don't just grow on trees. A LARGE chunk of it comes from donations usually from its Alumni. I don't know about you but if I hated my education or felt that it was mediocre and didn’t get me anywhere, I wouldn't be giving my school much money. Would you? As a matter of fact, they have received a record amount of $ from their alumni that will be offered in scholarships in the future.

Happy students=Happy graduates=Happy school from the success and donations from students. Simple formula that many schools STILL fail to realize.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your choice no matter where it is. Just a lowly first year…but if anyone has questions about DMU, drop me a PM.
ABSOLUTELY agree! Well said jbone-

Another thing is that nice campus/laptops/surgical centers/ etc don't just grow on trees. A LARGE chunk of it comes from donations usually from its Alumni. I don't know about you but if I hated my education or felt that it was mediocre and didn't get me anywhere, I wouldn't be giving my school much money. Would you? As a matter of fact, they have received a record amount of $ from their alumni that will be offered in scholarships in the future.

Wow, great - I think we are on the same page about it. In fact, you're basically saying what I was trying to say, just much better, and more thoroughly. First thing is the education, the training, hospital affiliations, etc... Which I think are top notch there! It just seems like all I read are posts about 'Wow! What a great gym!' and/or 'Wow! They give you laptops!!' And so - yah, I've been skeptical about that. But I should give people more credit, and you've given me a good reminder to do so - so thanks! I'm really happy I got accepted to DMU, and it would be very hard for me to turn it down for any school at this point, trust me! My weird sense of humor probably didn't come across in that previous post there, anyway - sorry about that.

Wow, great - I think we are on the same page about it. In fact, you're basically saying what I was trying to say, just much better, and more thoroughly. First thing is the education, the training, hospital affiliations, etc... Which I think are top notch there! It just seems like all I read are posts about 'Wow! What a great gym!' and/or 'Wow! They give you laptops!!' And so - yah, I've been skeptical about that. But I should give people more credit, and you've given me a good reminder to do so - so thanks! I'm really happy I got accepted to DMU, and it would be very hard for me to turn it down for any school at this point, trust me! My weird sense of humor probably didn't come across in that previous post there, anyway - sorry about that.

It's all good and I 100% agree w/ you. Sounds to me like you have your priorities in order. Well done. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted! :thumbup:

Finally someone with a sense of humor. You will fit in well with..well, me. We can hold hands and sing show toons.

Boner, did you drop out to come back for the dmu class of 2011? I miss holding your hand in lab. Soundman just isnt the same anymore. All these 100's he is nailing off have just made him a God among men. HA:D

Finally someone with a sense of humor. You will fit in well with..well, me. We can hold hands and sing show toons.

Sweet! Name some favorites! "Mame" is probably appropriate for anatomy lab, I guess (LOL!)... I'm sure everyone will just LOVE to hear us!! :D

Sweet! Name some favorites! "Mame" is probably appropriate for anatomy lab, I guess (LOL!)... I'm sure everyone will just LOVE to hear us!! :D

Oh, they always love to hear me. Right now I am into teacher impressions. It is fun, I enjoy it and that is all that counts!!!!!

Oh, they always love to hear me. Right now I am into teacher impressions. It is fun, I enjoy it and that is all that counts!!!!!

"okay?" (said real fast and repeated about 200 times in a lecture)

Who am I?

BTW, I love this professor. Wish we had him again for more lectures!!
All of you who interviewed here know who I'm talking about because you all met him. Good times. Sorry class of 2011, didn't mean to hijack your thread so much. Guess we'll go back to good old 2010. :thumbup:

"okay?" (said real fast and repeated about 200 times in a lecture)

Who am I?

BTW, I love this professor. Wish we had him again for more lectures!!
All of you who interviewed here know who I'm talking about because you all met him. Good times. Sorry class of 2011, didn't mean to hijack your thread so much. Guess we'll go back to good old 2010. :thumbup:

WHAT IS THIS STRUCTURE?!?!?!?!

My heart starts out here, and what nerve comes along with it? (before you can even move your mouth to answer) that's right the phrenic nerve.

I am a lacunae....

hehehe

Something's wrong here: you guys are making it sound like FUN!!

BTW, in my interview I suggested to Dr. Breithaupt that since he says he isn't drinking his own homemade beer any more, he should share them with his class! He agreed, but has he done it yet??

Something's wrong here: you guys are making it sound like FUN!!

BTW, in my interview I suggested to Dr. Breithaupt that since he says he isn't drinking his own homemade beer any more, he should share them with his class! He agreed, but has he done it yet??

haha, there is an auction and I won his beer. I used to make my own so I had to test what a biochemist could do; I was not dissapointed.

Interviewed Oct 27th accepted November 8th! Can't wait for August. DMU is the best! Who else is going there for sure?

Can't wait to meet everyone! :D

you can count me in unless my state school comes through.

Anybody get that nice letter from Dr. Mueller today encouraging you to attend DMU? I thought it was great - especially his little personal note to me at the end about my luggage mishap...:oops:

Now if they'd just give ME some nice big scholarship since I'm not going to have nearly as long to pay off these expenses as most of my classmates......

I got a letter from him as well. He is a really nice individual.

I am stuck deciding between CCOM and DMU. :confused:

Anybody get that nice letter from Dr. Mueller today encouraging you to attend DMU? I thought it was great - especially his little personal note to me at the end about my luggage mishap...:oops:

Now if they'd just give ME some nice big scholarship since I'm not going to have nearly as long to pay off these expenses as most of my classmates......

It was pleasant to see that letter in the mail. It made me rethink about my choices.

I got a letter from him as well. He is a really nice individual.

I am stuck deciding between CCOM and DMU. :confused:

A new poll is in order, then!! LOL! :laugh:
Give us all your main considerations when you start the thread, though!! :D

A new poll is in order, then!! LOL! :laugh:
Give us all your main considerations when you start the thread, though!! :D

Ha...

I definitely have that "gut feeling" at DMU. We'll see what feels better. I got 2 more weeks!

Ha...

I definitely have that "gut feeling" at DMU. We'll see what feels better. I got 2 more weeks!

Me too, but from what I've heard from NjDO0, those hospital affiliations at CCOM can't be beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.