Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

RJ7XL.jpg

Hahahaha, that's amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from a classmate who received her score last monday that scores were released around noon-ish. If they are only released on Mondays looks like we may have another week of waiting ahead of us. Took it June 18th -sigh.

I called and they said that it would be this week but they wouldn't give me a day range...just sometime this week. I am beyond annoyed

I called and they said that it would be this week but they wouldn't give me a day range...just sometime this week. I am beyond annoyed

Thanks for the update. Lost sleep for nothing. I've always heard it's only Monday but apparently not? My classmates received their's before 10:30 am central time last week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Absolutely ******ed. They rape us of our money, and they cannot even get their act together. And what is pathetic is that if we complain about their test or their methods, we are deemed unprofessional. Is this the first step in getting doctors to keep quiet about idiocy for the rest of their careers?

I completely agree. I called last week to ask about grading of the exam and ended up being more confused. The person I spoke seemed to have no idea whatsoever about grading and couldn't give me a reason why scores aren't released every week on certain day. Someone else I know also called today and they said absolutely not releasing them today. I was told sometime this week, maybe today so?Just think we have to give how much more money to them?

Thanks for the update. Lost sleep for nothing. I've always heard it's only Monday but apparently not? My classmates received their's before 10:30 am central time last week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Last year a lot of my friends got them on a Friday. So there's no set day.

The waiting game is killing me. It would be so nice if I knew when they were coming out, instead of having this compulsion to check the NBOME website every time I have a spare moment in the clinic. Three little numbers, that's all I want... here's hoping that they do get the scores out this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I passed. . .549 (sorry, I'm not a genius like a lot of others on here).

COMSAE A: 428 - 3.5 months out
COMSAE B: 500 - 1 month out
COMSAE C: 554 - 1 week out

I went through FA like 1.5 times, DIT once, maybe 50% of the UWorld questions and Pathoma twice.

I was hoping for a little higher score, but I'm glad to just have this done and over with! Anybody know where this might put me for allo Peds or Neuro?

ill give my two cents since this thread is the most ive used for comlex

i studied soley for the USMLE and took the comlex 1 week after it, in that time i rready micro made ridic simple, its a big book and idk how much it helped since micro wasnt so high yield on my test (6/12). i did comquest in 4 days since i found out about it late and did about like 600 questions all OMM, ethics, and OB/GYN. Happy i did ob gyn since that crap was high yield on mine.

FA - must
Uworld - must for the basic understanding and indepth
comquest - must for comlex style questions

thats just my brief thoughts, any questions shoot me a message but im sure most of you guys are geniuses here anyways

COMSAE A : 566 (march)
COMSAE B: 678 (april)
COMSAE C: 688 (may)

COMLEX: 678 (june)

ill give my two cents since this thread is the most ive used for comlex

i studied soley for the USMLE and took the comlex 1 week after it, in that time i rready micro made ridic simple, its a big book and idk how much it helped since micro wasnt so high yield on my test (6/12). i did comquest in 4 days since i found out about it late and did about like 600 questions all OMM, ethics, and OB/GYN. Happy i did ob gyn since that crap was high yield on mine.

FA - must
Uworld - must for the basic understanding and indepth
comquest - must for comlex style questions

thats just my brief thoughts, any questions shoot me a message but im sure most of you guys are geniuses here anyways

COMSAE A : 566 (march)
COMSAE B: 678 (april)
COMSAE C: 688 (may)

COMLEX: 678 (june)

you, sir, are my hero.

I don't post on here much, but I've found a lot of good info on SDN over the past few years so I thought I would contribute my COMLEX stats/data.

COMSAE C (given by school)- 4/10/2012- 434
COMSAE A- 5/25/2012- 488
COMSAE B- 6/9/2012- 562

COMLEX- 6/12/2012- 539

COMLEX study materials:
FA 2012- read two times, then DIT took me through a third time.
DIT 2012- can't say it was essential or not, but it was at least organized and comprehensive.
Savarese book- didn't end up doing the questions in the end though.
UWORLD- I also took USMLE, but I would still have used this bank if I didn't though- 54% overall.
COMBANK- annoying grammar and question errors, but it was similar in style to COMLEX- 77% overall.
Also sparingly used brs physio and anatomy, Goljan RR, micro made simple, pharm recall.

Overall I was happy with my score. I wish it had been closer to my COMSAE B, but I feel like I peaked a few days before I took my actual exam. I had taken USMLE on the 6th and COMLEX on the 12th, and by the 10th I really felt burned out. If I had to do it over again I would have taken COMLEX on the 9th or 10th. A few days did make a difference.

Congratulations everyone! Its got to feel great knowing you passed and don't have to think it over anymore.

Studied my freaking butt off for the USMLE and COMLEX. SDN helped me so much so I'd like to give back. I'll write more later, but here it is for now.

Studied the following:
1. Kaplan Qbank starting in January; did all disciplines but added in systems as we finished them; 70% cumulative
2. First Aid 2011 annotated with Kaplan and some class notes
3. Goljan x2 during each system and ~once more during dedicated time
4. UWorld saved for dedicated time; done by systems in untimed mode; 81% cumulative

Practice exams:
1. NBME 11: 252 (5 weeks out)
2. UWSA 1: 256* (4 weeks out)
3. NBME 12: 245 (3 weeks out)
4. UWSA 2: 257* (2 weeks out)
5. Free 150: 93% (3 days out)
6. COMSAE C: 608

USMLE: 255
COMLEX: 717

*I felt these were more predictive since I had done UWorld by systems/untimed and not random/timed mode. Just a thought.

So ecstatic; my goal was 250. I was thinking I would either be between a 235 or a 250+ depending upon whether my nerves got the best of me. Thanks to all the regular posters on SDN who give out really good advice on studying and how to tackle this beast. My score isn't the crazy 265+ that is so common on SDN, but if anyone would like any study advice or tips I would be more than happy to help.

Thoughts on the exam:
This exam is not about memorization. The beast doesn't care if you remember that anti-Yo antibodies are associated with cerebellar and Purkinje cell degeneration in patients with small cell carcinoma. If you can't synthesize information and think on your feet, you're toast. If you want to do well on USMLE, you need to work on understanding mechanisms behind the diseases you study. This exam is not about the what; it's about the why.

Protip #1: focus on understanding the Big Picture and it will take you far.

Keep studying and work hard and you can achieve your goals. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions; I learned a lot by PM'ing people around here who hit scores that were my goal.

***Edit: My MCAT was a 24 (no lie), so don't worry about any "correlation" that may exist. If you want it bad enough and work hard enough, you can achieve your goals.***

The above is what I wrote in the USMLE Experiences thread. If you're going to take the USMLE and the COMLEX, all you really need is a solid first two years (studying like every test is the most important you've ever taken), Goljan RR, First Aid, and UWorld. You can add Kaplan Qbank (for USMLE) in there if you need to. I didn't touch COMBANK or COMQUEST and it worked out for me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Here it is. Took it on the 22nd. Did DIT 2012, thought it was a decent program. Did 56% of UWorld, Did 400 q of ComBank, 900 q of ComQuest, towards the end. I would have completed all of ComQuest and UWorld twice if I could do it over, but it just came out so I didn't know till later. I think UWorld + ComQuest is the way to go.

My dedicated study time was from May 1st till June 22.

COMSAE A (1 month out): 477

After getting the 477, I decided to do DIT because I wasn't structured enough. It was a great decision just to add structure to my schedule. I read FA and Saverese in total about 1.5x each before my COMLEX. Would I have liked to do more? Sure, but there's never enough time. I also read about half the chapters from Pathoma once and would have liked to finished the whole thing but no time.

REAL THING: 563

Any questions, feel free to PM

This thread helped me a ton so hope this helps yall. Peace.

Last edited:
Took the test today:

Comsae A: 540
Comlsae B: 640
Nbme 7/11/13: 240/240/250
UW: 68% and 85% on second pass.
Combank: 90%

My test was about 30% Omm, 30% micro, 10% Neuro, 30% the rest.

Omm:
A lot of viscerosomatics all in the green book
Next most common was chapman. Colon, gallbladder, and liver made multiple appearances.
3-4 cranial, all basics
A few sacrum diagnosis and to questions
A few I don't quite recall

Micro:
Heavy on atypical pneumonias, biological warfare bugs, water loving bugs, and some of the usual stuff.
Virulence factors made quite a show
Foreign parasites also made quite a show.
Minor pharmacology was present but just DoC type.

Neuro:
Thalami nuclei, various vitamins and Neuro deficits, typical localize the lesion.

The rest:
Heavy on lower extremity anatomy, cardiophys, and just a mush of other stuff. Only had 2 epidemiology questions.

Good luck everyone.

Got my score, extremely happy!
I was hoping for >600
Made >630(vague because I am known by others irl)
Also made >240 on USMLE

I have benefited greatly from all of these posts on SDN, and I am happy that I can finally return the favor by making my own. I took only the COMLEX, so I can’t compare it to the USMLE. By the sound of it I may never find out my score (8 weeks, really?) but nevertheless, here is how my test went…

Prep:
Gunner training starting halfway through first year, which I did not keep up with nearly well enough (sadly). I love their program, I just didn’t have enough/make enough time for it in 2nd year.
First Aid and Pathoma were my primary resources during my 5-week dedicated study period, which I annotated with info from GT
UWorld, Kaplan USMLE Qbank and Kaplan COMLEX Qbank for questions
Savarese, of course, for OMM

I went through FA with a few questions sprinkled in for about 3 weeks, then did questions for the last 2 weeks. I think that was a good decision, because many of the cases on my exam felt familiar because of the number of questions I did (about 3600 by my estimate).

Practice Tests:
NBME 7, prestudy: 190
UWSA2, 3 weeks out: 214
COMSAE C, 3 weeks out: 478
“Free 150” from the USMLE website, 2 weeks out: 75%
NBME 13, 1 week out: 200
COMSAE B, 1 week out: 520
Kaplan Full-Length COMLEX, 4 days out: 70%
Kaplan USMLE Qbank: 70%
Kaplan COMLEX Qbank: 75%
UWorld Qbank: 61%

Impression of the exam: It was an odd test which seemed to cover a strangely small amount of material. I had several identical or nearly-identical questions on the exam, which was somewhat surprising (and annoying). There were some weirdly worded questions, like everyone said. Overall I feel pretty good about my performance. As far as difficulty and question type goes, I felt like the Kaplan full length COMLEX was a pretty good representation of the exam I took today. Naturally everyone's exam will vary. The following is what I remember about the makeup of my exam.

Repro: Probably the heaviest system tested for me. Very very very specific birth control questions, lots of pregnancy situations, many of which I had to draw on information from my classes to answer rather than my review materials.
Endo: Very light on the endo, all of it very basic.
Renal: Light on Renal, with basically no renal phys questions. I'm okay with that. The kidneys are no friends of mine.
Cardio: Some WEIRD EKG's on my exam. Only a couple, but I don't know if I answered them correctly. I expected harder cardio pharm questions, but only got a couple of those. Zero heart murmurs, which is sad, because I studied the hell out of those. I recall a couple pages back someone had a million murmurs though, so at least I was prepared.
Respiratory: Pneumonia. Yeah, that's it.
GI: Fair amount of GI, but not that terribly complicated as I remember it. The hepatobiliary tract was a favorite.
Psych: I was so happy to see lots of psych on my test. Very little on the drugs, though. Some very strange cases here.
Anatomy: Brachial Plexus!!! Also several very strange anatomy questions I would never have gotten anyway. I wish I had studied the plexus more. Anatomy was pretty heavy on my exam.
Neuro: Not as much neuro on my exam. Most of it was fairly straightforward.
Biochem: I felt like I wasted my time studying so much biochem. Maybe 5 questions? Easy, obvious questions.
Biostats: 2 questions. Sadness. At least with math you know for sure if you're right or not.
Pharm: Lots of P450-related questions, NOT a lot of "how do you treat this" questions.
Micro: Some of it was obvious, while some of it left me staring at the screen trying to figure out what they were talking about. More than one obscure question about something that 1) I've never seen while in class or studying and 2) I almost certainly will never see in real life. I expected this, though.
Behavioral: No child development for me, but there were several HMO/PPO questions and weird ethical situations. I think I handled those alright. I don't think I could have done much to prep for this. More common sense than anything.
OMM: Savarese plus the chapman's points posted in this thread (THANK YOU FOR THOSE!) were enough. So glad I didn't have much cranial. Levels were the key here - easy points. The OMM felt very reasonable as far as difficulty. The Savarese questions were much harder and great for preparation.

Got my score today, just a bit shy of 530. My goal is to get into a psych program, so I'm happy!

Congrats to all the good scores! Now, we can finally move on and look forward to Step II!

NOT. . . .

Studied my freaking butt off for the USMLE and COMLEX. SDN helped me so much so I'd like to give back. I'll write more later, but here it is for now.

Studied the following:
1. Kaplan Qbank starting in January; did all disciplines but added in systems as we finished them; 70% cumulative
2. First Aid 2011 annotated with Kaplan and some class notes
3. Goljan x2 during each system and ~once more during dedicated time
4. UWorld saved for dedicated time; done by systems in untimed mode; 81% cumulative

Practice exams:
1. NBME 11: 252 (5 weeks out)
2. UWSA 1: 256* (4 weeks out)
3. NBME 12: 245 (3 weeks out)
4. UWSA 2: 257* (2 weeks out)
5. Free 150: 93% (3 days out)
6. COMSAE C: 608

USMLE: 255
COMLEX: 717

*I felt these were more predictive since I had done UWorld by systems/untimed and not random/timed mode. Just a thought.

So ecstatic; my goal was 250. I was thinking I would either be between a 235 or a 250+ depending upon whether my nerves got the best of me. Thanks to all the regular posters on SDN who give out really good advice on studying and how to tackle this beast. My score isn't the crazy 265+ that is so common on SDN, but if anyone would like any study advice or tips I would be more than happy to help.

Thoughts on the exam:
This exam is not about memorization. The beast doesn't care if you remember that anti-Yo antibodies are associated with cerebellar and Purkinje cell degeneration in patients with small cell carcinoma. If you can't synthesize information and think on your feet, you're toast. If you want to do well on USMLE, you need to work on understanding mechanisms behind the diseases you study. This exam is not about the what; it's about the why.

Protip #1: focus on understanding the Big Picture and it will take you far.

Keep studying and work hard and you can achieve your goals. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions; I learned a lot by PM'ing people around here who hit scores that were my goal.

***Edit: My MCAT was a 24 (no lie), so don't worry about any "correlation" that may exist. If you want it bad enough and work hard enough, you can achieve your goals.***

The above is what I wrote in the USMLE Experiences thread. If you're going to take the USMLE and the COMLEX, all you really need is a solid first two years (studying like every test is the most important you've ever taken), Goljan RR, First Aid, and UWorld. You can add Kaplan Qbank (for USMLE) in there if you need to. I didn't touch COMBANK or COMQUEST and it worked out for me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
First and for most....congratulations on those awesome scores! You comlex blows me away....esp that it was 100+ points above your comsae! I would be thrilled if I managed that! Took mine the 29th so hopefully I get scores in the next week or so too!

Did really poor on COMLEX, 450 ! What should I do now to improve my chances to get better residency?

First and for most....congratulations on those awesome scores! You comlex blows me away....esp that it was 100+ points above your comsae! I would be thrilled if I managed that! Took mine the 29th so hopefully I get scores in the next week or so too!

Thanks. That was a school-administered COMSAE and I think I had like 4 weeks or so left to study (maybe 5). I also heard that COMSAE C was the hardest and not a very accurate predictor of your score. That obviously held true.

Just work hard and continue to study and you can achieve your goals!

Did really poor on COMLEX, 450 ! What should I do now to improve my chances to get better residency?
First off what residencies are you aiming for? In the DO world it is my understanding that how you do on your rotations really means alot. If you kick butt and get good letters of rec, do awesome on audition rotations, work hard to do better on level II then I think you will be okay. Be happy that you passed, have faith in yourself and your hard work in the next two years will pay off!

Had 6 weeks to study, and I primarily studied for USMLE. This is my breakdown and the resources I used:

NBME 7, 12 weeks out to get a baseline: 219
NBME 11, 4 weeks out: 247
UWSA 1, 2 weeks out: 263
UWSA 2, 1 week out: 265
UW 1st pass: low 70s%
UW 2nd pass: low 90s%
COMSAE C 1 month out: 672
USMLE Step 1: >260
COMLEX: >700

I used FA throughout 1st and 2nd year so I was pretty familiar with it. I went though it in-depth one time during my 6 weeks, then would just refer when needed.

Pathoma: HIGHLY recommend! I got several questions on both USMLE and COMLEX correct because of a few one-liners out of his book. He does an awesome job explaining basic principles to help you understand a concept, rather than just memorizing it. He was the only resource I used during my first 2 weeks of studying and my score jumped up to 247. I re-listened to a few of my weak sections the week before my exam and was glad that I did.

UW: cannot stress this enough!!! This was a better prep for USMLE but the concepts were definitely high yield for both. If I had to do it again I would have gone through UW one more time, at least the ones I missed or had marked.

Goljan: I listened to him throughout second year with each system course and loved him but only listened to a few lectures throughout my board studying. I would say his first few hours when he discusses cell injury, hypoxia, etc. are the best, but if you really want to understand a concept then pathoma is better, in my opinion.

I also went through all of the questions in the Red robbins questions book. I think these are a good representation of the USMLE style of questions in terms of length and the fact that they give you a lot of extra information that you usually don't need to answer the question, such as BMI, BP, pulse, etc. I would recommend doing the path chapters that you are weak in for comlex.

Pharm: FA is all I used.

Micro: I definitely had some low yield micro but feel that my school prepared me well. FA is not enough for COMLEX micro, I would recommend getting microcards by Sanjiv Harpavat which are a lengthy but good review.

Neuro: this was a pretty big section on my exam. I used BRS neuroanatomy but only went through the questions at the end of the chapters.

Anatomy: I used rapid review gross and developmental anatomy, again just went through the questions at the end of the book.

I took USMLE on Monday and COMLEX on Friday. in the 3 days I had to study for COMLEX I went through savarese, BRS neuro, RR anatomy and microcards. I did not use COMbank or COMquest but I did go through some of the kaplan level 1 questions. Savarese is a good review if you are weak in OMM, definitely need to know sacrum stuff but other than that know your spinal levels and chapmans points, that is where the $ is!

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
what u get? comsae?

The only COMSAE I took was one our school got for us and I got a 380 on that before I started studying, so its not a great representation of correlation.

I did DIT and all of COMBANK (80%) and COMQUEST (abt 75%) for my question banks. I also went through Pathoma.

Got >550 on the real deal.

Had 6 weeks to study, and I primarily studied for USMLE. This is my breakdown and the resources I used:

NBME 7, 12 weeks out to get a baseline: 219
NBME 11, 4 weeks out: 247
UWSA 1, 2 weeks out: 263
UWSA 2, 1 week out: 265
UW 1st pass: low 70s%
UW 2nd pass: low 90s%
COMSAE C 1 month out: 672
USMLE Step 1: >265
COMLEX: >760

I used FA throughout 1st and 2nd year so I was pretty familiar with it. I went though it in-depth one time during my 6 weeks, then would just refer when needed.

Pathoma: HIGHLY recommend! I got several questions on both USMLE and COMLEX correct because of a few one-liners out of his book. He does an awesome job explaining basic principles to help you understand a concept, rather than just memorizing it. He was the only resource I used during my first 2 weeks of studying and my score jumped up to 247. I re-listened to a few of my weak sections the week before my exam and was glad that I did.

UW: cannot stress this enough!!! This was a better prep for USMLE but the concepts were definitely high yield for both. If I had to do it again I would have gone through UW one more time, at least the ones I missed or had marked.

Goljan: I listened to him throughout second year with each system course and loved him but only listened to a few lectures throughout my board studying. I would say his first few hours when he discusses cell injury, hypoxia, etc. are the best, but if you really want to understand a concept then pathoma is better, in my opinion.

I also went through all of the questions in the Red robbins questions book. I think these are a good representation of the USMLE style of questions in terms of length and the fact that they give you a lot of extra information that you usually don't need to answer the question, such as BMI, BP, pulse, etc. I would recommend doing the path chapters that you are weak in for comlex.

Pharm: FA is all I used.

Micro: I definitely had some low yield micro but feel that my school prepared me well. FA is not enough for COMLEX micro, I would recommend getting microcards by Sanjiv Harpavat which are a lengthy but good review.

Neuro: this was a pretty big section on my exam. I used BRS neuroanatomy but only went through the questions at the end of the chapters.

Anatomy: I used rapid review gross and developmental anatomy, again just went through the questions at the end of the book.

I took USMLE on Monday and COMLEX on Friday. in the 3 days I had to study for COMLEX I went through savarese, BRS neuro, RR anatomy and microcards. I did not use COMbank or COMquest but I did go through some of the kaplan level 1 questions. Savarese is a good review if you are weak in OMM, definitely need to know sacrum stuff but other than that know your spinal levels and chapmans points, that is where the $ is!

I agree with the comment above, my MCAT score was 26.

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to everyone!
You are my hero ! Congratulations on some truly amazing scores!

I passed, hooray! Couldn't believe it. My score was under predicted by the comsae by about 100 points. I ended up getting around 550 on the real thing.

Yaaay! What a nice surprise to come home to! I just got my scores and I'm quite happy and surprised with my score. You can walk out of that test thinking you did poorly and come home to a score higher than any practice exam that you felt better about. I guess it's natural to only remember the ones you get wrong when it's the boards. I don't know or care.

Anyway, I used FA and supplemented Micro with CMMRS early on because I heard Level 1 was micro heavy (it was, but not as heavy as I thought). I had a lot of OB on mine. I then completed UW, then CQ.

COMSAE A (before studying): 441
COMSAE B (after first run through FA, CMMRS, and UW with 71% average: 545
COMSAE C (after all COMQUEST questions with 86% average): 650

COMLEX: 720 !!!

I would recommend COMQUEST not only for the question style, but reading their explanations (even if I got the question right) helped answer a lot of questions since they weren't always directly asked but they covered it. I think they'll become the UW of the COMLEX world soon. Their quality was definitely up there.

I'm very happy with my score and I think if you put in the hard work - it will pay off (even if you don't feel you did so well after the test like I did). Congrats to everybody!

For my studying

I started questions 50/day in February. Then in March I came up with a week to week schedule of what to study, repeating my weaknesses more often then my strengths.

I used Kaptest, Uworld, Combank, FA, DIT.

I liked Kaptest better because it referenced FA page numbers about where to find information on that particular questions.

During School, while going through each sub discipline, I would read Robbins Pathology on that chapter, and complete Review questions in that subject. I attend most/all lectures, read, and used Board review style questions to master the content. I tended to score 10-15% higher then the class average on exams. I have no idea what my class rank was or even my GPA.

Pharm I relied on my schools lectures and FA for the most part.

Practice Test
March NBME form 13: 205
May NBME form Unk: 243
Jun NBME form 11: 242
Jun NBME form 7: 243

USMLE Step 1: 245

Comlex
Jun COMSAE form A: 600
Jun COMSAE Formc: 614

COMLEX LEVEL 1: 773

Between USMLE I did as many Combank questions a possible.

I am not really quite sure how my score jumped so dramatically. I am quite surprised myself. To add to the trend I scored only 28 on the MCAT.

Score: 689/95

To be honest, I'm sure most of you already have a good idea on what the popular studying aids are (FA, UWorld, ComBank, etc.) so reiterating what I used is probably pointless. What I do want to say is that these board exams are 70% hardwork 30% intelligence. If you're like me, someone who deep down knows that will never be the smartest kid in the class, the best word of advice is to truly by honest with yourself. If you know you don't have the intelligence to only study 4 halfass weeks and be able to get a 650+, then you better ask yourself how bad do you want to destroy this test? If you work your butt off, you're going to get a solid score.

I honestly think if you truly devote your life for a solid 6 weeks, you'll most likely get a 600+. It's about knowing your weaknesses and making them your strengths.

I walked out of the test feeling like a low 600 score would be a dream come true. Every other question felt like a barely educated guess. If you find yourself in this position, only use what you know. Don't pick the answer that sounds right. Use the knowledge that you've made from your endless hours of studying.

And for those ppl that stress after the test about the questions you missed, i easily could have counted at least 10+ questions that I got wrong and that were all gimmes.

Hard work always pays off in the end.

I pulled this from NBOME.org -

The following COMLEX-USA examination scores have been mailed and are available online: • Level 1 examinations taken on or before June 22, 2012.
• Level 2-CE examinations taken on or before June 1, 2012. • Level 2-PE examinations taken on or before May 30, 2012. • Level 3 examinations taken on or before May 15, 2012.

If your results aren't already in, I'd imagine they should be in very soon. If you took the COMLEX Level 1, your score should have been recorded.

Last edited:
I took my exam on 6/22. Pretty much half the exam i was making educated guess and I tried to not lose my temper at the ridiculous exam. Felt awful coming out of the exam and was actually wondering if I passed or not. (Before the exam I was more worried about my performance on the exam rather than passing or failing) but yea.. terrible terrible experience that day.

On the real deal I got 620 and like most ppl ...really really surprised.

UW I was averaging ~71% (Finished arnd 40%) but didnt really go crazy going over it.

COMBANK: ~84% (Did around 200ish questions/ day and just wrote down main points and moved on)

COMQUEST: ~81% (Pretty much UW for the comlex..found out about it too late but def a bank everyone should finish)

I never took the comsae and just judged my score based on what SDNers that were getting based on their UW/COMBANK/COMQUEST percentages. (which was usually 600+)
I used FA/DIT/Pathoma/and above question banks. If I could do it ALL over again i would basically do just questions and not worry bout watching videos. Don't get me wrong, I love learning from video format too. But especially for COMLEX i felt like I wasted alot of time watching the videos. Questions Questions Questions that is what I am gonna do for step 2.

good luck everyonee

I feel obliged to post how I prepped and what I would have done differently in hindsight since this forum has given me so much over the past couple years.

Score: 86

My only question banks used were all of UWorld (67% overall), and about 40% made it through COMBANK (70% overall). Started both in January, but still was left with large chunks to muscle through during my 6 weeks of dedicated prep. I personally feel UWorld helped me a heck of a lot more than COMBANK....too many mistakes and question stems weren't anything like what I got on my real exam. Word on the street is that COMQUEST helped people much more.

The kicker though for me is for both question banks, I went through them subject by subject rather than random. Kind of makes me wonder if I would have done better if I had done things on random, but overall I'm happy with what I got since I don't think I'm interested in anything uber competitive.

If I had more time I would have also done either Kaplan/Rx on random, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Didn't take any COMSAEs either, just not enough time. I also would have started going over pharm/micro earlier in January rather than the last 3 weeks of dedicated prep.:scared: I also wish I'd had more time to go over the questions in Savarese just 1 additional time to cement things better, as there were 2 OMM questions on my COMLEX that were carbon copies of what I saw on Savarese, but I was blanking out and totally had to guess on them....I just had more important things to review instead of OMM.

Went through FA 2 times. Had UWorld and 2010 DIT of only several sections heavily annotated into FA. I used Lange pharmcards (annotated) and MicroCards(also annotated). Biochemistry wasn't well represented on my exam, but Kaplan's lecture notes and Raymon's biochem/pharm videos did more than enough to prep me for it just in case. I wouldn't recommend using anything else. For pathology, combo'ed with Goljan's Rapid Review, and BRS Path. I felt both were more than enough for what I encountered on COMLEX. For Neuro I only used HY Neuroanatomy and selectively referenced BRS Neuro on several topics. Also used Roadmap Gross Anatomy, and the CN tables in that book helped a lot as well. Every Neuro/CN question was a cake walk thanks to these.

Ultimately, I think annotating so much into FA is what slowed me down the most, but ironically also helped me the most, especially from UWorld. Just should have nailed time management a little better.

Hope this post helps some people. GL to future test takers.:xf:, and to those still waiting for their scores:xf::xf::xf:

Last edited:
There are some ridiculously high scores being posted for both USMLE and COMLEX. Congratulations to you all! I did decent on my USMLE but still waiting to see how I did on my COMLEX. Took it June 26th.

Last edited: