Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me advice how to prepare for the neuroanatomy questions on comlex? Should I listen to the kaplan neuroscience videos? Is FA enough for the neuroscience questions? Please help thanks!

Can anyone give me advice how to prepare for the neuroanatomy questions on comlex? Should I listen to the kaplan neuroscience videos? Is FA enough for the neuroscience questions? Please help thanks!

I assume you're talking neuroanatomy...

At least for my test, BRS Phys helped a lot for the more random tracts outside of the "Big 3". I had 7-10 questions on these. I only had one easy localization question on the brainstem.

FWIW, don't go overkill on resources. Just know your select resources very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you're talking neuroanatomy...

At least for my test, BRS Phys helped a lot for the more random tracts outside of the "Big 3". I had 7-10 questions on these. I only had one easy localization question on the brainstem.

FWIW, don't go overkill on resources. Just know your select resources very well.

I have BRS phys and it doest not have neuroanatomy. Are you saying BRS Neuroanatomy is sufficient? What about High yield neuroanatomy?

I have BRS phys and it doest not have neuroanatomy. Are you saying BRS Neuroanatomy is sufficient? What about High yield neuroanatomy?

high yield was money for me, one of the best choices i made to lick that book cover to cover, helped on usmle and comlex, it is dense to read, it took me about 2 days to get through it but i remembered alot from it

I went through HY, none of it was on my test however it could be useful for Brainstem and explaining things you don't understand. IMO It's overkill and too dense to memorize it if you're short on time. It was an extremely useful book for my neuro class.

BRS Physiology, yes physiology (Constanzo) definitely has the random tracts you need to know for Comlex. I believe they were in the Neuro phys section. It's not necessarily "neuro anatomy" but the name and function of tracts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they came out on Mondays? No?

I called the office and shockingly they were very unhelpful about the possibility of a release date. I was told they can be released any day and time they are open 4-6 weeks after the exam. So if anyone founds out more please let us know!

I took mine on July 2nd and still no score here either. :mad: lol was kind of expecting to see it yesterday.

Last edited:
Congrats apevo8!!! Did you feel the june 29th test was harder than comsae B or easier than comsae B?

thanks! I felt it was more difficult than comsae B but I sort of put myself at a disadvantage not doing enough COMBANK (only did OMM questions) and taking the exam 3 days after the USMLE. But I did fine so I'm not complaining. Good Luck to the rest of you and Congratulations to those who passed!

Hey guys I justreplied to a question someone asked me, and I thought that I might as well postit here because I want to open up to everyone of you and be pretty straight forward,with the hopes of helping anyone out there…
Basically they asked how I did on comlex, and this is what I replied back:

"Unfortunately I did pretty bad on my test, 408 if you want to know a specific number. I honestly did not know what the heck they were asking in a good percentage of questions even on subjects that I am strong on, such as OMM. I also think that my anxiety got the best of me while studying which did not let me absorb a lot of the info I was reading; but I think that the BIGGEST factor to my demise was not being organized, consistant and focused. So my advice to you would be to do exactly those 3 things I did not do (I am trying to do that now, is just that is difficult for me because I don’t have a pattern).

I do want to take the USMLE at some point before next the end of 3rd year to make upfor my poor performance, but I have to find the time to do that while also preparing for my rotations (which have higher priority). I know that a lot of my buddies did a lot better in USMLE that in COMLEX, I guess in part because it is better written.

I will post this so everyone can see that not everybody gets 750+ in COMLEX, and that we can survive it. I hope in a couple of years I can post something saying that despite having such a horrible score, I got the residency of my dreams :xf::luck:

Let me know if you need any help, because I would be more than happy to help you any way I can‼! :)

P.S.: sorry it took me so long to respond, is just that I have a crappy phone that takes forever to send messages (I will get a new phone soon) :woot:"

Hey guys I justreplied to a question someone asked me, and I thought that I might as well postit here because I want to open up to everyone of you and be pretty straight forward,with the hopes of helping anyone out there…

"Unfortunately I did pretty bad on my test, 408 if you want to know a specific number. I honestly did not know what the heck they were asking in a good percentage of questions even on subjects that I am strong on, such as OMM. I also think that my anxiety got the best of me while studying which did not let me absorb a lot of the info I was reading; but I think that the BIGGEST factor to my demise was not being organized, consistant and focused. So my advice to you would be to do exactly those 3 things I did not do (I am trying to do that now, is just that is difficult for me because I don’t have a pattern).

I do want to take the USMLE at some point before next the end of 3rd year to make upfor my poor performance, but I have to find the time to do that while also preparing for my rotations (which have higher priority). I know that a lot of my buddies did a lot better in USMLE that in COMLEX, I guess in part because it is better written.

I will post this so everyone can see that not everybody gets 750+ in COMLEX, and that we can survive it. I hope in a couple of years I can post something saying that despite having such a horrible score, I got the residency of my dreams :xf::luck:

Let me know if you need any help, because I would be more than happy to help you any way I can‼! :)

P.S.: sorry it took me so long to respond, is just that I have a crappy phone that takes forever to send messages (I will get a new phone soon) :woot:"

Sorry to hear about this...when did you sit for the exam?

Sorry to hear about this...when did you sit for the exam?

I took my exam on June 25th. My school had told us that the best time to take step 1 is in may because after that it gets harder. I don't know if this is true because there are many ppl that took it in June, and they did pretty well, so I'm not sure that this is true. :confused:

I took my exam on June 25th. My school had told us that the best time to take step 1 is in may because after that it gets harder. I don't know if this is true because there are many ppl that took it in June, and they did pretty well, so I'm not sure that this is true. :confused:

LECOM-B also told us to take it in May, and that everyone who ever failed from our school took it in June. But they didn't say the actual test got harder in June. Basically, they implied that the longer we are out from school, the more difficult the test seems, or we burn out, or something like that.

how many questions did you mark per section? because i felt like absolute crap when i walked out. how do you plan on studying for usmle during rotation? has anyone done that before and been successful?

what would u guys say is the combank and comquest average score to feel comfortable in passing the comlex?

No score back as of August 6th. I took mine on July 2nd.

Took mine on July 7th, and still no score. At this rate I am going to get my USMLE score before my COMLEX. I took my USMLE 11 days after COMLEX....how does that make any sense?!

Took mine on July 7th, and still no score. At this rate I am going to get my USMLE score before my COMLEX. I took my USMLE 11 days after COMLEX....how does that make any sense?!
Probably. I took USMLE on June 27th and got my results two weeks ago. U know, it's NBOME, anything is possible. ;)

My husband took the comlex July 7th and they are up!

They still haven't updated the front page but I know the scores till then are up! I thought about you guys after the excitement wore off!!!

It looks like some scores are up today.

Here's my prep, from the USMLE thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12848375&postcount=2380

I skimmed the Savarese book in the day between the USMLE and Comlex, and that's the only time I spent on OMM. My school is very strong on OMM though, and there was almost nothing in Savarese that we hadn't already covered extensively.

722/98

First time poster, but I felt I should share my experience.

Took the whopper on July 7th and it was exhausting, frustrating, random at times, generally a poor written exam BUT.....that's exactly what I expected. Everyone who took it with me had similar complaints and concerns. Felt like I passed but to be honest, I really don't have any idea on how well I did. One does not simply feel good about their COMLEX experience. This is mainly due to the amount of guessing you will have to do. I marked on average about 10-14 questions per block. As I understand it, COMLEX is graded on a curve for same day test takers, so it really doesn't matter if you missed 75 questions or 175 questions....it's all about how you perform compared to others. Don't be too bummed if you feel the same way for your exam.

my study plan: 2 months. Used FA, DIT, Savareese, pathoma, UWORLD, COMBANK, COMQUEST, micro flash cards, pharm flashcards, anatomy flashcards (<-surprising how helpful these were.)
COMSAE A 4 weeks out: 515
COMSAE C 2 weeks out 550
(will be taking USMLE on July 21st)

My test break down:
Biochem-very surprised by the number of questions (10 ish?) Half were diseases but had some metabolism/insulin questions. And of course there were some heritage questions but they were pretty straight forward. Felt confident for this because I've been studying for USMLE as well. Don't forget this subject.

Immuno: 3-4...maybe. Not a big deal. I'm not including some of the micro questions that had some immuno flavor to them, but it's what you would expect.

Micro: lots, of course but actually was the easiest part of the exam for me. Not too many drugs (thank God) and straight forward. Expect repeaters (I answered at least 7 questions with the same bug.) Make sure you know bugs that have similar presentations and can differentiate them. The COMLEX seems to LOVE these types of Q's.

OMM: this pissed me off a little. I had like 6-8 questions on tender points....knew my SV, sym, para innervations and Chapmans...but not tender points. W.T.F. Everything else was easy for the most part as long as you know that green book.

Anatomy: sorry guys....you're going to have to review your anatomy. I did a few days before this exam and I do not regret it. MANY questions on lower extremity and some of them were pretty difficult/weird. I've been hearing extremity anatomy was a COMLEX favorite in the past, so I took the time for some light review. I'm not going to say I beasted it, but I definitely felt I had a little more knowledge to work through the Qs. Also, it's not a bad idea to review face anatomy. This includes the cranial nerves, where they exit, nerves/blood vessels of face, tongue, ears, eye, nose. I used Netter's anatomy flashcards which was perfect for some random, last minute review.

Histo: I'm including this because I had >10 histo images...all of which were terrible, half didn't even give you much of a clinical vignette. I don't know how anyone could prepare for this, but don't be too surprised if this happens.

Ethics/biostats: 6? I don't remember. They sucked for the most part, in my opinion.

Endo/cardio/resp/GI/MSK/psych/neuro: a wide range of mega easy to WTF. I'd go over each subject individually but it's what you expect and have probably read in past posts. Balanced out, but not as drug heavy as I expected. Embryo was mild and fair.

GENERAL: the exam in parts felt like COMSAE C on average but it definitely had easy, and I mean REALLY easy questions. I actually saw a couple of Qs from form C and A on my test. COMQUEST was probably the most helpful Q bank. I felt COMBANK was only good for ethics, biostats, OMM. COMQUEST was still my best bet. Also, don't forget to review poisonings. Got one question that burned me because I should have known it/reviewed it. Felt like there was plenty of time to take the test plus I took the optional 2 breaks. The highlighting and strikeout option was a little weird (you have to highlight the line and then click this upper R hand corner button) but I think it's helpful. I reviewed every single question and the saved highlighted areas helped me review quickly. If you're doing well with time in practice Q banks, I highly recommend doing this. I went back and found 5 Q's where I made a stupid mistake on easy questions. This can be exhausting, but I'm glad I did it.

SPECIAL STUDY TIP: for my last read-through of FA, I made a flashcard of every little topic that I kept forgetting or still struggled with. At the end of the evening, I made it a point to go over the flashcards I made. After reading my very large batch of FC nightly, I felt like I was reinforcing my weak points.

Last thoughts: All I'm hoping for is 550 or higher, and I'd even be comfortable with just above 500. Not sure if I hit my goal or not, but I feel comforted that there are many of us who felt the same way. It's heartbreaking to spend so much time studying and then to get bent over by an unfair exam, only to have scores graded on a curve (which I fail to understand how that reflects my medical knowledge if you're judging me on how much I know compared to doc A and doc B by whatever....) My best advice is to stay calm and don't worry if your test seems murky, picky, or random.
Good luck everybody!!

My score: 634/91. So pleased. Never thought I would break 600 due to my COMSAE scores.

Thanks to everyone who had posted their exam feedback. Here is my contribution:

Stats:
Mcat: 24
Medschool GPA: 3.45

Prep time 2.5 months
Kaplan Qbank 400Qs: 65% with looking up answers
Uworld 1000Qs: 55%
Combank complete: 65%
Comquest 500Qs: 61%
Comsae C: 490 2 weeks before exam

Resources
FA 2012 (went thru once with 80% of DIT and used as reference for qbank Qs)
Pathoma (went thru it 2x)
CMMRS (read thru gram neg and virus chapters)
BRS path and physio
Saveresee (went thru text and end of chapter questions)

Spent last two weeks focusing on OMM, neuro, msk, and micro. I learned all the rare pathogens, but only had two questions on rare pathogens. Memorized all chapman points and VS levels. I wrote them all out on the white boards during the 10 min tutorial prior to starting the exam. As everyone has mentioned, the Comlex is poorly written. A majority of the questions had odd wording and unexpected answer choices. Often the most obvious answer was not one of the choices (i.e. question asked for a gram neg rod causing UTI, yet pseudomonas was the only gram neg rod answer choice, others being gram positive). I left exam feeling confused, disappointed, and uncertain if I passed. At that point, all I hoped for was to pass. :xf:

Took Comlex July 10, 2012
Received score August 9th, 2012

Comlex score: 480 :luck:

Test day tips:
1) You'll need to finish sections early if you want a 10 min break without losing time.
2) Wear clothing with the least amount of pockets since you must put them inside out before entering the testing area
3) Drink gatorade or use an antidiuretic to avoid bathroom breaks (10 min break isn't that long)
4) Bring ear plugs if your sensitive to noise.

Good luck to those who have yet to take their exam.

I got my score back and was hugely disappointed. :(

I used FA and the green book. I made a first pass in maybe 1.5 weeks. Got uworld and combank. Did one practice test. Didn't make it all the way through combank, but did over 1/2 of the questions. Then I did a 2nd fast pass of FA a few days before the exam. Read over the green book maybe a day or two before the exam.

My combank average after finishing FA was around 78%. From communications with the combank people and my practice test, I figured I would score maybe around 580-600.

Test center was almost a couple hours away. I drove up and stayed at a hotel. It was so noisy that I didn't get a whole lot of sleep the night before. No worries. I drank a couple energy drinks. I know this stuff. I'll do fine.

Went through the first block without much trouble. I marked a lot, but I always mark a lot. Second block wasn't that bad either. I look at the timer up at the top of the screen and see I have 1 hour and 55 minutes left. I know I usually had more than enough time on combank questions, but I still have almost 2 hours left for these 50 questions? Really?? Ok.. might as well make a second pass just to double check my answers..nothing wrong with being thorough. Did a second really thorough pass of the 2nd block of 50. Now my time is down to 45 minutes.. well, I could spend some more time I guess, but I doubt it will improve my score. I'll just go on to the next section I guess. I start the next section of 50, look up at my time.....WTF? It didn't reset. I only have 45 minutes total??? How many more questions do I have to do?? I have 100 questions to do in 45 minutes?? FUUUUU.. I rushed through. I barely had enough time to read the questions. Blindly guessed on a lot of them.

My craplex score: 4xx. So lame. So depressing.

what would u guys say is the combank and comquest average score to feel comfortable in passing the comlex?

They say 62% from combank. I must be one of those outliers.

I got my score back and was hugely disappointed. :(

I used FA and the green book. I made a first pass in maybe 1.5 weeks. Got uworld and combank. Did one practice test. Didn't make it all the way through combank, but did over 1/2 of the questions. Then I did a 2nd fast pass of FA a few days before the exam. Read over the green book maybe a day or two before the exam.

My combank average after finishing FA was around 78%. From communications with the combank people and my practice test, I figured I would score maybe around 580-600.

Test center was almost a couple hours away. I drove up and stayed at a hotel. It was so noisy that I didn't get a whole lot of sleep the night before. No worries. I drank a couple energy drinks. I know this stuff. I'll do fine.

Went through the first block without much trouble. I marked a lot, but I always mark a lot. Second block wasn't that bad either. I look at the timer up at the top of the screen and see I have 1 hour and 55 minutes left. I know I usually had more than enough time on combank questions, but I still have almost 2 hours left for these 50 questions? Really?? Ok.. might as well make a second pass just to double check my answers..nothing wrong with being thorough. Did a second really thorough pass of the 2nd block of 50. Now my time is down to 45 minutes.. well, I could spend some more time I guess, but I doubt it will improve my score. I'll just go on to the next section I guess. I start the next section of 50, look up at my time.....WTF? It didn't reset. I only have 45 minutes total??? How many more questions do I have to do?? I have 100 questions to do in 45 minutes?? FUUUUU.. I rushed through. I barely had enough time to read the questions. Blindly guessed on a lot of them.

My craplex score: 4xx. So lame. So depressing.

They say 62% from combank. I must be one of those outliers.

Was your practice test a COMSAE? Because the time counts down exactly the same between COMSAE and COMLEX. If not, this is probably a great example of why people should do one of the comsaes; just to get comfortable with the timing for four blocks in four hours. You are also the perfect example of why students should be able to cancel their scores at the end of the exam like the MCAT. I doubt your issue with your score had anything to do with your knowledge, but the fact that you had to rush through two blocks in forty-five minutes. So sorry that happened to you :(. If you're aiming for a competitive field, do awesome and be completely comfortable with step 2 and you should be okay.

In the past, wasnt it possible to void your comlex score if you didnt feel good about the exam?

You are also the perfect example of why students should be able to cancel their scores at the end of the exam like the MCAT. I doubt your issue with your score had anything to do with your knowledge, but the fact that you had to rush through two blocks in forty-five minutes. So sorry that happened to you :(. If you're aiming for a competitive field, do awesome and be completely comfortable with step 2 and you should be okay.

I definitely would have voided. Now I feel like I'm screwed for any competitive residency and am looking at primary care. It's crazy how something as silly as this can so completely decide your future.

Did you just get nervous and mess up your timing, or were you not aware of how the COMLEX timing works for the exam? The timer never resets; it starts at 4 hours at counts down from there.

Did you just get nervous and mess up your timing, or were you not aware of how the COMLEX timing works for the exam? The timer never resets; it starts at 4 hours at counts down from there.

I had no idea it was timed like that. You could say it's my fault for not researching the test more or for using the instruction time to fill up my whiteboard with formulas, and you'd probably be right. But it just sucks. It doesn't accurately reflect my medical knowledge. It's one little f--- up, yet it is going to largely determine my future. :(

Chin up happy kitten.. Nothing you can do now. Take step2 early and audition where you want to go and rock it.

Chin up happy kitten.. Nothing you can do now. Take step2 early and audition where you want to go and rock it.

:thumbup: This

Even if you did not as well on one of these exams just realized you passed it and can graduate. More so in the DO world if you go to a place and audition there and do well and are liked by everyone you will get chosen. I have heard of people matching ortho with 450 comlex..:scared:..it shows a test does not have to determine your fate. Go for doing what you want to no matter what. Good luck.