Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with you, I am so disorganized its not even funny... any input would help... comlex seems like such a wierd test to study for... like i feel i could put a full into stuff thats completley not high yield for the exam... and i want to minimize that... i just took COmsae A, i didnt realize how heavy teh anatomy was on it... is that test predictive at all?

Is there embryology on COMLEX? The bulletin of information doesn't seem very specific about which topics are covered, and the combank doesn't have embryology questions. I feel like it's hard to know how to prepare for this test.

Is there embryology on COMLEX? The bulletin of information doesn't seem very specific about which topics are covered, and the combank doesn't have embryology questions. I feel like it's hard to know how to prepare for this test.

An upperclassmen said to me there was No embryo, biostats and biochem was very little also, like 4-5 questions on their exams. But who knows for sure right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking it next Friday 6/1, any thoughts from recent takers about last minute things to focus on would be appreciated.

Ill be sure to post my thoughts on the test for others sometime after next Friday.

As far as prep, I did almost a complete pass through FA before starting DIT, I've done DIT in the past few weeks and I have COMBANK and USMLERX I have been using for a while. I am reviewing FA and Saverese and cranking out as many questions as possible in these last week or so.

I took COMSAE B about a week ago and scored in the low 500's. Hoping to be at least there on the real thing.

Teacherman84, may I ask what your COMBANK average is?

In the mid 60's...but I havent done much yet and most of that was before DIT/any OMM review, I had been doing more of Rx to reinforce what I learned in DIT/FA but am now focusing more on COMBANK in this last week before my test. So well see how that changes

Took mine today, exactly 1 week after I took the USMLE. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

OMM - easy. Just know chapman points, special tests, sym/para levels. free points

Micro - lots of really really really obscure stuff. A few bugs I'd never seen before, ever (ive done kaplan, uworld, and combank). Make sure you know FA micro front to back. May even want to check out some of the more random stuff in CMMRS.

biochem - super easy after doing usmle biochem, easy points.

anatomy - surprisingly simple, nothing that wasnt on uworld or combank

Everyone says that comlex tests random stuff out of left field. I felt that other than some random micro, the test was pretty easy and straightforward. Probably 30-40% are free memorization points; ie. did you remember that pancreatic andenocarcinoma is CA19-9...

It is an exhausting test though. The usmle was much better timed, I did 5 sections in the morning, took a lunch, then did 2 in the afternoon. On the comlex you can only do your lunch between sections 4 and 5. So no matter what, you have 4 hours after lunch. Brutal.

Took mine today, exactly 1 week after I took the USMLE. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

OMM - easy. Just know chapman points, special tests, sym/para levels. free points

Micro - lots of really really really obscure stuff. A few bugs I'd never seen before, ever (ive done kaplan, uworld, and combank). Make sure you know FA micro front to back. May even want to check out some of the more random stuff in CMMRS.

Everyone says that comlex tests random stuff out of left field. I felt that other than some random micro, the test was pretty easy and straightforward. Probably 30-40% are free memorization points; ie. did you remember that pancreatic andenocarcinoma is CA19-9...

It is an exhausting test though. The usmle was much better timed, I did 5 sections in the morning, took a lunch, then did 2 in the afternoon. On the comlex you can only do your lunch between sections 4 and 5. So no matter what, you have 4 hours after lunch. Brutal.
buccsmf1, how did you prepare for comlex? What was your schedule like after you were done with school? I am trying to get organized to have more productive study sessions, so I would like to know what areas to focus on, and roughly, how much time should i dedicate to each? what should be my daily pattern? also, I want to study by systems, but don't know where to intergrate biochm, omm, and micro in a system based approach... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! ;)

Hey thanks for the update! Is FA Biochem sufficient? I am taking the USMLE after my COMLEX so I would like to know whether to do Kaplan Biochem now or after I take the Comlex and just stick to FA Biochem. Thanks!

Question about exam day: I know there are no break times between blocks 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, but are you allowed to get up and take a break on your own time? For example, I finish block 1 in 45 mins, can I take a bathroom break for 15 mins before returning for block 2? Alternatively, I finish block 1 with no time to spare, can I still goto the bathroom at the expense of block 2's time?

If the answers are no, that's a huge problem because my bladder does not last for 2 hours.

Has anyone had any of the cranial bulls--t of OMM? I just feel that studying this is a total bullc--p!!! :mad:

Can someone tell me where to get "Bugs and Drugs" cards? I cant find them on the internet. Thanks

Here are the ones that were suggested to me:
Microcards by Lippincotts
Pharmacology Cards by Langes

I personally use the Pharm cards by Langes, but as far as Micro, I've been sticking to FA+whatever Uworld adds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also been looking for something to supplement FA with since everybody says the exam is so Micro heavy. Thanks!

Do you guys think that combank is good enough to pass comsae C ?

i get mixed reviews on whether to just use Combank to pass Comlex/Comsae. I would say its possible but Uworld is a good source for learning so if you have time, use it. If not, Combank will regurgitate a lot of facts straight from FA through there questions so its a decent study tool in that sense, and of course has OMM questions.

Taking mine June 1st...
This is what I have done:
MMRS, BRS phys, First aid, pathoma, goljan RR, high yield neuroanatomy, Kaplan Qbank, Uworlds, combank, DIT question bank. I flip through pharm cards here and there... Slowly but surely reading green book.

I also did 75% of DIT, but this was AFTER I had already finished all those Qbanks and read through all those sources, so the information was kind of basic so I am not going to finish it. I've just been reading goljan RR for my third time, but I don't think I am going to get through it completely.

Some of my scores in chronological order:
Uworld Sim 1: 236
School given NBME: 220
Comsae A: 600
School given Mock COMLEX #1: 630
School given Mock #2: 680
Uworld Sim 2: 261
Comsae B: 678
NBME #13: 247 (taken today)

For those taking usmle: Yes Uworld sim exams WILL overshoot your score. I have heard this from previous students; NBMEs are more accurate.

I am not going to take the usmle ( going for ortho), but I figured the more question the better. Talking to previous successful students.. they tell me the COMLEX is hit or miss ( some luck is involved?). I set my goal to get a 650... but I will be happy with anything above a 600, but at the same time won't be surprised if I don't.

I'll post my experiences after my exam, and will post my score when I receive it to see if there are any correlations.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Has anyone had any of the cranial bulls--t of OMM? I just feel that studying this is a total bullc--p!!! :mad:

I have heard from current classmates that have recently took it that they had a bunch of cranial. Play it safe.

In the end, the more knowledge the better!

I have heard from current classmates that have recently took it that they had a bunch of cranial. Play it safe.

In the end, the more knowledge the better!

thanks frankyazz!!! In my school at the end of the this semester they did teach us that, and I got a lot of the questions right by answering with reverse logic, that is, whatever is oppossite of what makes sense. Still, I think that cranial omm is as close to science as reading crystal balls!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

There's a good bit of cranial on the COMLEX, so be comfortable with all the major dysfunctions. I'll post a very brief primer; if you glance over it, focus mostly on motion/strains. You'll need visuals from your books/power points to supplement it.

Attachments

• Cranial.docx
    23.3 KB · Views: 487
Does anyone know what a good indicator as far as a good COMLEX score and a COMBANK percentage? I'm at 80% currently, but I haven't seen anything that might give me a decent idea of how I am looking in terms of the COMLEX.

Does anyone know what a good indicator as far as a good COMLEX score and a COMBANK percentage? I'm at 80% currently, but I haven't seen anything that might give me a decent idea of how I am looking in terms of the COMLEX.
I have searched far and wide... as far as I am concerned there are no accurate predictors for COMLEX scores, or I have just not found any.

Took comlex 5.23

The heaviest was micro/pharm/omm/obgyn. Thought micro and pharm were straight forward and easy. FA was definitely sufficient for me. I did five passes of both of those subjects and then three of some sections and two of others. Might have been one micro question that was weird. Pharm was basically MOA or "what would you prescribe for this..". I was surprised by the lack of ADRs. One question that had a diagram asking where the action of the drug was. Omm was mostly chapmans and innervation stuff. Find all of the chapmans points, not just the green book. It doesnt have them all. Obgyn was fine for the most part except for a few questions where i don't know where you'd find the info.

Neuro was the next heaviest. Basically lesion type stuff. There was a fair deal of trauma. Bunch of concussion, epidural/subdural questions.

Only had 3 embryo questions. A bunch of biochem metabolism questions. Three vitamin questions. Only one actual pathway question.

Lots of interleukins questions. No immuno disorders.

Wasn't a lot of cardio which was disappointing. A few ekgs. One murmur.

Good amount of respiratory, but not that heavy.

Few bleeding disorders. Two anemia questions. One cml question.

Endo was pretty straight forward.

Felt like renal was my Achilles heel. Mainly physio questions. Should have gone through it a third time. Few questions on anion gap.

Lots of gi path that was straight forward.

Only four genetics questions that I can remember. Marfans syndrome, then asked the inheritance pattern. Another diagram with a weird translocation pattern. One pedigree.

Few biostats questions. One specificity calculation. A couple ethics questions. One sleep stage question.

That's all I can really remember. It was very vague and always felt like I wanted more info. A bunch of wtf questions. Hopefully they were experimental. Definitely think you can get by with just FA and combank. It's all I used and I felt very good. It's all my friend used last year too and she scored a 667. I did listen to all of goljan audio though. Did both comsaes. Mine was most like B. I heard good and bad things about using uworld. Stayed away personally just because the friends I had that used it an just did comlex felt like they studied too much detail and not broad vague concepts like the comlex tested, and then felt like they were over thinking everything. I think you just have to know your style and what works for you. I always did random times questions from the beginning.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Took comlex 5.23

The heaviest was micro/pharm/omm/obgyn. Thought micro and pharm were straight forward and easy. FA was definitely sufficient for me. I did five passes of both of those subjects and then three of some sections and two of others. Might have been one micro question that was weird. Pharm was basically MOA or "what would you prescribe for this..". I was surprised by the lack of ADRs. One question that had a diagram asking where the action of the drug was. Omm was mostly chapmans and innervation stuff. Find all of the chapmans points, not just the green book. It doesnt have them all. Obgyn was fine for the most part except for a few questions where i don't know where you'd find the info.

Neuro was the next heaviest. Basically lesion type stuff. There was a fair deal of trauma. Bunch of concussion, epidural/subdural questions.

Only had 3 embryo questions. A bunch of biochem metabolism questions. Three vitamin questions. Only one actual pathway question.

Felt like renal was my Achilles heel. Mainly physio questions. Should have gone through it a third time. Few questions on anion gap.

Only four genetics questions that I can remember. Marfans syndrome, then asked the inheritance pattern. Another diagram with a weird translocation pattern. One pedigree.

Few biostats questions. One specificity calculation. A couple ethics questions. One sleep stage question.

That's all I can really remember. It was very vague and always felt like I wanted more info. A bunch of wtf questions. Hopefully they were experimental. Definitely think you can get by with just FA and combank. It's all I used and I felt very good. It's all my friend used last year too and she scored a 667. I did listen to all of goljan audio though. Did both comsaes. Mine was most like B. I heard good and bad things about using uworld. Stayed away personally just because the friends I had that used it an just did comlex felt like they studied too much detail and not broad vague concepts like the comlex tested, and then felt like they were over thinking everything. I think you just have to know your style and what works for you. I always did random times questions from the beginning.

Good luck everyone!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFOR. I am also just doing combank and FA/ and goljian and I feel like everyone in my class is making me feel bad for not doing uworld. I am jus planning on taking comlex so i dont know whats the purpose of doing uworld.

I hope you do really well!!!

UWorld gets you thinking....COMBANK, not so much.

Agreed. Uworld is just all around more difficult, so you really learn the material. It is also a good resource with tons of information. With combank it was just mostly straight regurgitation without any thinking involved.

I just bought the new comquest step 1 qbank...I've done about 120 or so questions this morning, and it is pretty similar to combank. Actually, my final percent correct on combank almost matches up with my current comquest percent correct, and the cumulative average score for all users are basically identical (63%)..... hmmm.

How many questions are on the new comquest level 1 qbank? I'm taking my comlex level 1 this Wednesday, but was thinking about doing some new questions before test.

Took comlex 5.23

Good luck everyone!

I agree completley with the overthinking aspect that happens when you get use to the UWORLD style, but that only comes from my experience of taking a COMSAE after doing a bunch of Uworld.

This post confirms it, I will stick to Combank completely till the 22nd, and after i will revert back to Uworld.

Is FA Biochem sufficient, do you think doing Kaplan Biochem is necessary? The reason I ask is because I am sorely deficient in the understanding part of Biochemistry. Also, I heard no mention of Biostats. As for the embryo, is it embryo from the embryo section of FA or more clinically relevant embryo like Meckels or something.

Thanks for the post!

would you say its necessray to both combank and comquest? are the questions similar?

Well nothing is really "necessary" if you already know it all :p I am just doing it because I finished combank a while ago, and I figure the more the questions the better.

The "style" of questions are similar, but there are definitely some concepts being hit in comquest that were not hit in combank that I feel like are pretty important. The more questions you do, the more information you are exposed to, so the better!

I also agree with this. Its been awhile since I took the COMSAE our school gave us, but it also seems like the interface from COMQUEST mirrors that of a COMSAE and I'd assume the COMLEX. Definitely the more questions the better. And be sure and check with your SOMA officers at your school if you are a SOMA member. Makes a HUGE difference in the cost.

Can anyone describe how in-depth the questions will be regarding pathology? I've been annotating pathoma with various sources but I'm not sure if I can have it down by my COMLEX exam date.

Is going through FA sufficient?

Any suggestions?

There's a good bit of cranial on the COMLEX, so be comfortable with all the major dysfunctions. I'll post a very brief primer; if you glance over it, focus mostly on motion/strains. You'll need visuals from your books/power points to supplement it.

Thanks so much AndyRSC!!!! It is nice to have that in one page :D

Agreed. Uworld is just all around more difficult, so you really learn the material. It is also a good resource with tons of information. With combank it was just mostly straight regurgitation without any thinking involved.

I just bought the new comquest step 1 qbank...I've done about 120 or so questions this morning, and it is pretty similar to combank. Actually, my final percent correct on combank almost matches up with my current comquest percent correct, and the cumulative average score for all users are basically identical (63%)..... hmmm.
I've been doing some COMQUEST lately as well. I really think these are making me think alot more than the COMBANK ones. I was at 80% in COMBANK, but I'm in the mid-seventies so far in COMQUEST. I may be way off, but I feel like the COMQUEST questions seem more like what I will actually see on test day.

I also agree with this. Its been awhile since I took the COMSAE our school gave us, but it also seems like the interface from COMQUEST mirrors that of a COMSAE and I'd assume the COMLEX. Definitely the more questions the better. And be sure and check with your SOMA officers at your school if you are a SOMA member. Makes a HUGE difference in the cost.

How much of a difference? My school's already out and I have no idea if the SOMA officers are even in town still.

I have done a little over 800 questions, and in my opinion comquest is superior. Overall, I feel as though the questions are a bit more challenging, and there is a broader spectrum of questions covering more material ( it seems like every other endo question in combank has to do with TSH levels) .

Not only that, but the customer support is excellent. While I was going through these questions, I commented on some of the questions, and before I even finished the block, I was emailed thanking me for the feedback, and that changes have already been made. I've commented on combank a few times, and they have never replied to me.

If you can, definitely do both qbanks ( the more questions the better). If you had to pick just one, I'd go with comquest.

I've been doing some COMQUEST lately as well. I really think these are making me think alot more than the COMBANK ones. I was at 80% in COMBANK, but I'm in the mid-seventies so far in COMQUEST. I may be way off, but I feel like the COMQUEST questions seem more like what I will actually see on test day.
Half off...so over what they're offering by 35%. You have to get the code from your SOMA officers though to verify you're a SOMA member

I have done a little over 800 questions, and in my opinion comquest is superior. Overall, I feel as though the questions are a bit more challenging, and there is a broader spectrum of questions covering more material ( it seems like every other endo question in combank has to do with TSH levels) .

Not only that, but the customer support is excellent. While I was going through these questions, I commented on some of the questions, and before I even finished the block, I was emailed thanking me for the feedback, and that changes have already been made. I've commented on combank a few times, and they have never replied to me.

If you can, definitely do both qbanks ( the more questions the better). If you had to pick just one, I'd go with comquest.

Comquest over Combank? Would you care to elaborate? I find the explanations on Combank horrible, but Combank had staying power for so many years prior, so it'd be tough to the make the switch. How much was Comquest anyway? I actually got the freel trial but haven't used it much

Comquest over Combank? Would you care to elaborate? I find the explanations on Combank horrible, but Combank had staying power for so many years prior, so it'd be tough to the make the switch. How much was Comquest anyway? I actually got the freel trial but haven't used it much
I got a 30 day since my test is June 12th. It was $37.50 with the discount. I think the COMQUEST explanations are vastly superior and the questions seem more challenging, to me anyway. They're better written also and the customer service seems amazing. Anytime you leave feedback they email you right back. Pretty awesome. I haven't taken the COMLEX obviously but looking at the layout and comparing what I remember from my COMSAE I think these are much closer to what I will see on test day. I may be way off though.

The explanations are definitely more thorough when need be. I think it was 50 bucks with the discount on the site for a one month subscription. You just got to give it a whirl... I just feel like overall the questions are more challenging and they hit on a lot of good concepts completely missed in combank. Like I said, I would just do both... and if you can get it for free, why not do them!?

The explanations are definitely more thorough when need be. I think it was 50 bucks with the discount on the site for a one month subscription. You just got to give it a whirl... I just feel like overall the questions are more challenging and they hit on a lot of good concepts completely missed in combank. Like I said, I would just do both... and if you can get it for free, why not do them!?

My 30-day trial ends on June 2 and I used it sparingly before I heard all the good reviews, I definetly liked using it but just assumed Combank was the better source since more people have used it. I know Comquest is the preferred source for Level 2 and 3 Comlex so I can see it being a good for step 1 also.

I agree completley with the overthinking aspect that happens when you get use to the UWORLD style, but that only comes from my experience of taking a COMSAE after doing a bunch of Uworld.

This post confirms it, I will stick to Combank completely till the 22nd, and after i will revert back to Uworld.

Is FA Biochem sufficient, do you think doing Kaplan Biochem is necessary? The reason I ask is because I am sorely deficient in the understanding part of Biochemistry. Also, I heard no mention of Biostats. As for the embryo, is it embryo from the embryo section of FA or more clinically relevant embryo like Meckels or something.

Thanks for the post!

For comlex FA is definitely sufficient. Most of my questions came from the metabolism section. It was definitely my weakest subject but just because it and development were the only subjects I didn't do at least twice. In the end I'm glad I didn't because they were straight forward and for the most part simple. I was able to spend a lot of time on higher yield material. If you're doing usmle, then I'm not sure if you'll need Kaplan, but it is definitely higher yield.

For comlex FA is definitely sufficient. Most of my questions came from the metabolism section. It was definitely my weakest subject but just because it and development were the only subjects I didn't do at least twice. In the end I'm glad I didn't because they were straight forward and for the most part simple. I was able to spend a lot of time on higher yield material. If you're doing usmle, then I'm not sure if you'll need Kaplan, but it is definitely higher yield.
Metabolism as in knowing the glycolysis, krebs, urea, and gluconeogeneisis? :(
I've kind of been neglecting biochem, don't scare me, I have my test in a few days...

Good to know. I guess I will just try and memorize rate limiting steps and whatever FA/DIT says to do.

Do you know if Pharmacodynamics/Pharmacokinetics is necessary to spend time? Like the Line-weaver Burk plots and all the Vd, half life equations?