Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the input guys.

Any of you take Step 1 as well? If so how did you balance the studying between the two in the last few days leading up the exam? Focus on combank, redo uworld?

I am taking both tests and getting anxious now because I have kind of been focusing too much on step 1. Although I have been focusing on micro, but not enough combank.

Appreciate any input!

I was going to take the USMLE, but I realized in the final days that fatigue was an issue and I needed to build up my endurance. By hour 7 on the COMLEX, I had a migraine and I felt my concentration going down. I'm still studying in hopes of taking it, but I'm also packing up my apartment to move for rotations, so I don't know when I'll take it.

Wish I could offer more. All I can say is that I would do both COMBANK and COMQUEST, if you can in preparation for COMLEX.

Good luck!

Has anyone else taken the June 29th COMLEX? From the horror stories I've heard from other students earlier in the testing season I was expecting the worst, but I thought it was surprisingly straightforward with relatively "high yield" concepts. Any thoughts other June 29th-ers?
I took it the 29th also....I heard the horror stories and was worried but felt mine was straight forward and very similar in difficulty to comsae c that I took. I had plenty of time left over and felt comfortable with what I was asked. I felt everything I was tested on I had atleast seen before. I can't say I always knew the answer but it was stuff I recognized. I felt like they asked me about the temporal bone several times! Overall, if I get what I got on comsae I will be extremely happy!

hey guys... I wast just wondering... what happens in the event that we fail comlex, when can we take it again? and what happens to the rotations we have already done? do we have to repeat them? I'm just really scared bc of this test was so freaking vague that I felt that I had to guess what they were asking on a great percentage of questions :mad:

I welcome all of your opinions :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys... I wast just wondering... what happens in the event that we fail comlex, when can we take it again? and what happens to the rotations we have already done? do we have to repeat them? I'm just really scared bc of this test was so freaking vague that I felt that I had to guess what they were asking on a great percentage of questions :mad:

I welcome all of your opinions :D
I think it depends on your school. My school just says we have to pass it by January. As long as you pass your rotations I can't imagine your program would make you repeat them. They may stop you from starting new ones.....if we dont pass by jan we can not take any rotations until we do. With that being said I really think you feel terrible but I bet you did fine. Most people feel horrible but pass...many do much better than average even. Did you do any comsaes? The general consensus seems to be you do as well or better than your comsae score. I am sure you did better than you think you did. Try not to fret over what you may of gotten wrong and think about the easy ones you know you got right! Its hard I know.....I really want my score but I just try to focus on my rotations and do the best I can and let chips fall where the may. If I failed then I will schedule again and hopefully do better.......although I really hope it doesnt come to that!

thanks so much hawthorne!!! I really really want you to be right but who knows.... I did not take any comsae (no specific reason, I guess that was really dumb on my part), but I felt that I could handle the material and understand the questions on COMBANK, which was not the case for the real thing!!! There were some easy questions, but also a lot of wtf questions that I didn't really know what the heck they were asking.... but I see that lots of people feel the same way, so that tells me that is not that we are all dumb, is that they have no idea how to write questions....hopefully the curve wil be generous :)

thanks so much hawthorne!!! I really really want you to be right but who knows.... I did not take any comsae (no specific reason, I guess that was really dumb on my part), but I felt that I could handle the material and understand the questions on COMBANK, which was not the case for the real thing!!! There were some easy questions, but also a lot of wtf questions that I didn't really know what the heck they were asking.... but I see that lots of people feel the same way, so that tells me that is not that we are all dumb, is that they have no idea how to write questions....hopefully the curve wil be generous :)
I'm sure it will be a great curve! I looked over last years forum and just about everyone talked about how awful it was and how sure they were they failed and no one really seemed to have failed. I think they design the test to make you feel like crap.....maybe its a cosmic joke against medical students. We are all smart people or we wouldn't have gotten this far. I think as medical students we hate having to choose between answers......we like to know for certain that the answer we picked is right. Comlex isn't designed that way unfortunately. The plus side is that you do not need to get them all right to get a good score. I took a comsae to get a feel for the questions and get an idea of where I might score. It made me feel more comfortable about my test. I kept track of how many I marked in the comsae. I then kept tack of how many I marked in the real thing and they were about equal so my hope is that I can get the same score as my comsae. I have always been one to mark questions in my exams so when I walk out I have a rough idea of my score.....most the time I'm right too.....if I mark six I usually do not get more than that wrong.....its not always the ones I marked that I got wrong though. I am hoping the same holds true for this. The crappy part is that I don't really know how many wrong gets you what score, I'm just hoping it correlates with comsae. I don't think I learned anything specific from comsae though in regards to content. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised when scores come out.......if they ever come out! Overall, I think I got lucky and got an exam that was well suited for me.....however many of my class mates who spent way more time studying then me though theirs was brutal and the took it the week before me so who knows! I try to be the optimistic glass half full kinda girl though so maybe that helps!

Last edited:
"hey guys... I wast just wondering... what happens in the event that we fail comlex, when can we take it again? and what happens to the rotations we have already done? do we have to repeat them? I'm just really scared bc of this test was so freaking vague that I felt that I had to guess what they were asking on a great percentage of questions"

retakes depend on your school policy you need to check with them in the event you fail..don't worry about it until the event happens, whihc most likely it won't

"hey guys... I wast just wondering... what happens in the event that we fail comlex, when can we take it again? and what happens to the rotations we have already done? do we have to repeat them? I'm just really scared bc of this test was so freaking vague that I felt that I had to guess what they were asking on a great percentage of questions"

retakes depend on your school policy you need to check with them in the event you fail..don't worry about it until the event happens, whihc most likely it won't

you take it again depending on your school policy. my school has a 3 strike policy. the rotation gets moved back and you get about a month to study for a retake, if you pass you make up the lost time on the missed rotation during the summer sometime and still graduate on time i believe. whatever rotations you've completed before that time, i think will count as long as you pass the necessary shelf and whatever other reqs. thats as far as i know.

and yes, i am scared of failure too. i honestly guessed on 70% of the test. and i felt like nothing was from FA.

oh well.

you take it again depending on your school policy. my school has a 3 strike policy. the rotation gets moved back and you get about a month to study for a retake, if you pass you make up the lost time on the missed rotation during the summer sometime and still graduate on time i believe. whatever rotations you've completed before that time, i think will count as long as you pass the necessary shelf and whatever other reqs. thats as far as i know.

and yes, i am scared of failure too. i honestly guessed on 70% of the test. and i felt like nothing was from FA.

oh well.

Jumpmanv15 is on the practice squad helping Team USA train for the olympics, true story. That jump shot man is cray.

Hey guys, I just talked to 4 people from my school who took the step 1 comlex on June 29. They ALLLL said the comlex was STRAIGHTFOWARD AND VERY SIMILAR TO COMQUEST!!!!

i wonder why every other day in june the comlex was a killer!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster, but I felt I should share my experience.

Took the whopper on July 7th and it was exhausting, frustrating, random at times, generally a poor written exam BUT.....that's exactly what I expected. Everyone who took it with me had similar complaints and concerns. Felt like I passed but to be honest, I really don't have any idea on how well I did. One does not simply feel good about their COMLEX experience. This is mainly due to the amount of guessing you will have to do. I marked on average about 10-14 questions per block. As I understand it, COMLEX is graded on a curve for same day test takers, so it really doesn't matter if you missed 75 questions or 175 questions....it's all about how you perform compared to others. Don't be too bummed if you feel the same way for your exam.

my study plan: 2 months. Used FA, DIT, Savareese, pathoma, UWORLD, COMBANK, COMQUEST, micro flash cards, pharm flashcards, anatomy flashcards (<-surprising how helpful these were.)
COMSAE A 4 weeks out: 515
COMSAE C 2 weeks out 550
(will be taking USMLE on July 21st)

My test break down:
Biochem-very surprised by the number of questions (10 ish?) Half were diseases but had some metabolism/insulin questions. And of course there were some heritage questions but they were pretty straight forward. Felt confident for this because I've been studying for USMLE as well. Don't forget this subject.

Immuno: 3-4...maybe. Not a big deal. I'm not including some of the micro questions that had some immuno flavor to them, but it's what you would expect.

Micro: lots, of course but actually was the easiest part of the exam for me. Not too many drugs (thank God) and straight forward. Expect repeaters (I answered at least 7 questions with the same bug.) Make sure you know bugs that have similar presentations and can differentiate them. The COMLEX seems to LOVE these types of Q's.

OMM: this pissed me off a little. I had like 6-8 questions on tender points....knew my SV, sym, para innervations and Chapmans...but not tender points. W.T.F. Everything else was easy for the most part as long as you know that green book.

Anatomy: sorry guys....you're going to have to review your anatomy. I did a few days before this exam and I do not regret it. MANY questions on lower extremity and some of them were pretty difficult/weird. I've been hearing extremity anatomy was a COMLEX favorite in the past, so I took the time for some light review. I'm not going to say I beasted it, but I definitely felt I had a little more knowledge to work through the Qs. Also, it's not a bad idea to review face anatomy. This includes the cranial nerves, where they exit, nerves/blood vessels of face, tongue, ears, eye, nose. I used Netter's anatomy flashcards which was perfect for some random, last minute review.

Histo: I'm including this because I had >10 histo images...all of which were terrible, half didn't even give you much of a clinical vignette. I don't know how anyone could prepare for this, but don't be too surprised if this happens.

Ethics/biostats: 6? I don't remember. They sucked for the most part, in my opinion.

Endo/cardio/resp/GI/MSK/psych/neuro: a wide range of mega easy to WTF. I'd go over each subject individually but it's what you expect and have probably read in past posts. Balanced out, but not as drug heavy as I expected. Embryo was mild and fair.

GENERAL: the exam in parts felt like COMSAE C on average but it definitely had easy, and I mean REALLY easy questions. I actually saw a couple of Qs from form C and A on my test. COMQUEST was probably the most helpful Q bank. I felt COMBANK was only good for ethics, biostats, OMM. COMQUEST was still my best bet. Also, don't forget to review poisonings. Got one question that burned me because I should have known it/reviewed it. Felt like there was plenty of time to take the test plus I took the optional 2 breaks. The highlighting and strikeout option was a little weird (you have to highlight the line and then click this upper R hand corner button) but I think it's helpful. I reviewed every single question and the saved highlighted areas helped me review quickly. If you're doing well with time in practice Q banks, I highly recommend doing this. I went back and found 5 Q's where I made a stupid mistake on easy questions. This can be exhausting, but I'm glad I did it.

SPECIAL STUDY TIP: for my last read-through of FA, I made a flashcard of every little topic that I kept forgetting or still struggled with. At the end of the evening, I made it a point to go over the flashcards I made. After reading my very large batch of FC nightly, I felt like I was reinforcing my weak points.

Last thoughts: All I'm hoping for is 550 or higher, and I'd even be comfortable with just above 500. Not sure if I hit my goal or not, but I feel comforted that there are many of us who felt the same way. It's heartbreaking to spend so much time studying and then to get bent over by an unfair exam, only to have scores graded on a curve (which I fail to understand how that reflects my medical knowledge if you're judging me on how much I know compared to doc A and doc B by whatever....) My best advice is to stay calm and don't worry if your test seems murky, picky, or random.
Good luck everybody!!

Took the whopper on July 7th and it was exhausting, frustrating, random at times, generally a poor written exam BUT.....that's exactly what I expected. Everyone who took it with me had similar complaints and concerns. Felt like I passed but to be honest, I really don't have any idea on how well I did. One does not simply feel good about their COMLEX experience. This is mainly due to the amount of guessing you will have to do. I marked on average about 10-14 questions per block. As I understand it, COMLEX is graded on a curve for same day test takers, so it really doesn't matter if you missed 75 questions or 175 questions....it's all about how you perform compared to others. Don't be too bummed if you feel the same way for your exam.

my study plan: 2 months. Used FA, DIT, Savareese, pathoma, UWORLD, COMBANK, COMQUEST, micro flash cards, pharm flashcards, anatomy flashcards (<-surprising how helpful these were.)
COMSAE C 2 weeks out 550

My test break down:
Biochem-very surprised by the number of questions (10 ish?) Half were diseases but had some metabolism/insulin questions. And of course there were some heritage questions but they were pretty straight forward. Felt confident for this because I've been studying for USMLE as well. Don't forget this subject.

Immuno: 3-4...maybe. Not a big deal. I'm not including some of the micro questions that had some immuno flavor to them, but it's what you would expect.

Micro: lots, of course but actually was the easiest part of the exam for me. Not too many drugs (thank God) and straight forward. Expect repeaters (I answered at least 7 questions with the same bug.) Make sure you know bugs that have similar presentations and can differentiate them. The COMLEX seems to LOVE these types of Q's.

OMM: this pissed me off a little. I had like 6-8 questions on tender points....knew my SV, sym, para innervations and Chapmans...but not tender points. W.T.F. Everything else was easy for the most part as long as you know that green book.

Anatomy: sorry guys....you're going to have to review your anatomy. I did a few days before this exam and I do not regret it. MANY questions on lower extremity and some of them were pretty difficult/weird. I've been hearing extremity anatomy was a COMLEX favorite in the past, so I took the time for some light review. I'm not going to say I beasted it, but I definitely felt I had a little more knowledge to work through the Qs. Also, it's not a bad idea to review face anatomy. This includes the cranial nerves, where they exit, nerves/blood vessels of face, tongue, ears, eye, nose. I used Netter's anatomy flashcards which was perfect for some random, last minute review.

Histo: I'm including this because I had >10 histo images...all of which were terrible, half didn't even give you much of a clinical vignette. I don't know how anyone could prepare for this, but don't be too surprised if this happens.

Ethics/biostats: 6? I don't remember. They sucked for the most part, in my opinion.

Endo/cardio/resp/GI/MSK/psych/neuro: a wide range of mega easy to WTF. I'd go over each subject individually but it's what you expect and have probably read in past posts. Balanced out, but not as drug heavy as I expected. Embryo was mild and fair.

GENERAL: the exam in parts felt like COMSAE C on average but it definitely had easy, and I mean REALLY easy questions. I actually saw a couple of Qs from form C and A on my test. COMQUEST was probably the most helpful Q bank. I felt COMBANK was only good for ethics, biostats, OMM. COMQUEST was still my best bet. Also, don't forget to review poisonings. Got one question that burned me because I should have known it/reviewed it. Felt like there was plenty of time to take the test plus I took the optional 2 breaks. The highlighting and strikeout option was a little weird (you have to highlight the line and then click this upper R hand corner button) but I think it's helpful. I reviewed every single question and the saved highlighted areas helped me review quickly. If you're doing well with time in practice Q banks, I highly recommend doing this. I went back and found 5 Q's where I made a stupid mistake on easy questions. This can be exhausting, but I'm glad I did it.

SPECIAL STUDY TIP: for my last read-through of FA, I made a flashcard of every little topic that I kept forgetting or still struggled with. At the end of the evening, I made it a point to go over the flashcards I made. After reading my very large batch of FC nightly, I felt like I was reinforcing my weak points.

Last thoughts: All I'm hoping for is 550 or higher, and I'd even be comfortable with just above 500. Not sure if I hit my goal or not, but I feel comforted that there are many of us who felt the same way. It's heartbreaking to spend so much time studying and then to get bent over by an unfair exam, only to have scores graded on a curve (which I fail to understand how that reflects my medical knowledge if you're judging me on how much I know compared to doc A and doc B by whatever....) My best advice is to stay calm and don't worry if your test seems murky, picky, or random.
Good luck everybody!!

How do you recommend preparing for the anatomy part? I hate extremity anatomy and looks like I will have to deal with it for this test. Also which would you recommend combank or comquest?

Appreciate the input, good luck with your score.

COMSAE C 2 weeks out 550

My test break down:

Good luck everybody!!

took it july 7th as well and I feel exactly same way. Thanks for summing it up so well. Also nice to know so many others felt cruddy afterwards like I did. Took usmle few days before and thought that was kinda rough at first but it had nothing on the July 7th monster.

How do you recommend preparing for the anatomy part? I hate extremity anatomy and looks like I will have to deal with it for this test. Also which would you recommend combank or comquest?

Appreciate the input, good luck with your score.

I used Netter's anatomy flashcards and reviewed a basic anatomy book for blood vessels/nerves. The hardest part of the anatomy was the muscles themselves. You had to have a basic understanding of their insertions, origins, and nerve levels, and action. I wouldn't say you needed details, and I think it's crazy to try and memorize them, but I looked at images of the muscles and I think that would be enough. TIP PED was VERY helpful (tibial nerve: inversion+plantar flexion, peroneal: eversion+dorsal flexion.) Of course the brachial plexus is a must, but I would look at arm muscles too, just in case. I wasn't overloaded with upper extremity Q's but that could have been the luck of the draw. As for face/head, I would look at-you guessed it-nerves, vessels, some muscles action. I think anything you've seen in review books for Cranial nerves is fair game, and there were a few VERY specific nerve/vessel Q's. I probably got them wrong, but there were only 2. I guess you'll have to decide whether it's worth your time to look at them or not. All in all, if I had to do it again, I still would only spend half a day reviewing anatomy.

COMQUEST by far was a better Q bank in my opinion. Not only were the questions more difficult and had similar vagueness quality, the mnemonics they offered were helpful, and the explanations are great. Neither COMQUEST nor COMBANK truly prepared for the absolute randomness and absurdity of some of the questions, but COMQUEST will help you soak in the most important material. COMBANK had good ethics/OMM questions. I can't stress enough how ethics can really be out there, so COMBANK offered you some of the more random possible Q's. If I had to go through this all over again, I would stick with COMQUEST for the long haul and probably use COMBANK for the month prior to the exam.

To sum up: the lower ext anatomy was difficult, and I'm not saying I aced that part. But, being familiar with this anatomy will help. There is only so much you can do, so don't waste too much time. Thanks for the best wishes and good luck!

took it july 7th as well and I feel exactly same way. Thanks for summing it up so well. Also nice to know so many others felt cruddy afterwards like I did. Took usmle few days before and thought that was kinda rough at first but it had nothing on the July 7th monster.

That's reassuring! I'm taking the USMLE and I have no idea how I'm going to do on it. My game plan is to take off 2 days and then get cramming for it. Haven't taken a practice NBME, so I'm a little concerned. My goals are modest (just want above 220). What would you recommend for preparing for it? I know this forum is just for COMLEX, but any thoughts on it would be nice.

That's reassuring! I'm taking the USMLE and I have no idea how I'm going to do on it. My game plan is to take off 2 days and then get cramming for it. Haven't taken a practice NBME, so I'm a little concerned. My goals are modest (just want above 220). What would you recommend for preparing for it? I know this forum is just for COMLEX, but any thoughts on it would be nice.

If you felt ready for comlex and have time for maybe another trip thru FA(or at least cover the embryo/bioch/immuno or whatever path book you use) you should be fine. Also take nbme test if you have the time b/c the actual test was fairly similar. Guarantee you think usmle isn't as bad as the comlex we took in 7th tho haha.

I thought I absolutely bombed that test when it was done, but I passed. I took 2 comsae tests, one 2 months out and the other one 3 weeks before my test. I ended up scoring 30 points above my 2nd comsae

AHHH FINALLY!!!

Here's a link to my post on the USMLE thread regarding my prep:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12554035#post12554035

After the USMLE, I took a few days off and then did COMBANK questions and reviewed Chapman points and crap like that. I took COMLEX exactly one week after the USMLE, and I would highly recommend that strategy. Never took any COMSAEs.

My COMLEX score is a 752. Considering I was aiming for 640, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.

What a big sigh of relief!

AHHH FINALLY!!!

After the USMLE, I took a few days off and then did COMBANK questions and reviewed Chapman points and crap like that. I took COMLEX exactly one week after the USMLE, and I would highly recommend that strategy. Never took any COMSAEs.

My COMLEX score is a 752. Considering I was aiming for 640, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.

Did you think the test was hard and that you were going to fail?

AHHH FINALLY!!!

Hey congrats. That's such a wicked score. I would kill for that score :). Did you read saverese cover to cover? Or did you already have a good understanding of omm from ms1/2? Do you mind if I ask how you did on the Usmle?

new poster here..I am hoping for some input/insight

Our school purchased boards boot camp for our class as our COMLEX review. Of course I have done the combank and comquest question banks as well. Can anyone comment on this program? and if anyone did the boards bootcamp program was it was helpful or not in preparing you for COMLEX? I would REALLY appreciate any input on this.

Thank you!

Hey congrats. That's such a wicked score. I would kill for that score :). Did you read saverese cover to cover? Or did you already have a good understanding of omm from ms1/2? Do you mind if I ask how you did on the Usmle?

Thanks man. I've never opened Saverese. I intended to go to my school's library before COMLEX and read it but when it came down to a few days before the test, I thought reviewing what I already had and doing questions would be enough (also, by that time, I was running low on ****s to give). I think our OMM instructor did prepare us very well for the high yield OMM concepts, but I know I missed a few Chapman's points or tender points that we didn't test often (like ones on the lower leg and crap). I don't have my USMLE score back, but I'm guessing 240-250 based on assessments.

Thanks man. I've never opened Saverese. I intended to go to my school's library before COMLEX and read it but when it came down to a few days before the test, I thought reviewing what I already had and doing questions would be enough (also, by that time, I was running low on ****s to give). I think our OMM instructor did prepare us very well for the high yield OMM concepts, but I know I missed a few Chapman's points or tender points that we didn't test often (like ones on the lower leg and crap). I don't have my USMLE score back, but I'm guessing 240-250 based on assessments.

Wow. This is so impressive and my mind is so blown. You make it sound so easy. Im super jealous :p. Was one week enough for you to do both comquest and combank? Or did you study those before the Usmle as well?

Wow. This is so impressive and my mind is so blown. You make it sound so easy. Im super jealous :p. Was one week enough for you to do both comquest and combank? Or did you study those before the Usmle as well?

I actually didn't do comquest, just combank, and i started it after USMLE so i didn't get all the way through it. I think the key for me was just trying to learn things well the first time through. Also starting Kaplan Q bank and UWorld very early helped a lot I think - I started doing just 10 or 15 questions a day back in February or March, and I selected question sets that were relevant to what we were studying in school. And I read all the answers, I think that helps you understand better.

Thanks for the compliments lol. It wasn't exactly easy, but definitely doable. I would advise the class of 2015 to do three things - 1) understand rather than memorize 2) mnemonics for those things you just HAVE to memorize 3) make a schedule and start reviewing and doing questions early.

frankazzzy your score shoud be up dude!
Hey guys, just got home from rotation.. So my score was a 642.. My goal was a 650, so I was just shy, but still pleased considering I thought I didn't even hit 550 because I was marking 20-25 questions a block! So yes, I was really happy with my score!

A few things to keep in mind for people who are waiting for scores.. COMLEX, as mentioned multiple times before, is "hit or miss." This means there is some luck that goes into it regarding which test you get... Maybe on a different day and a different test I could of scored a 680 or whatever. For example, I was marking 20-25 questions a block because I was unsure of the information.. Maybe on a different test, the random stuff I got I would of somehow knew or came across. Or maybe I would of had less concussion/random neuro that I didn't know, and something else I was more comfortable in. I think you get the idea...

Adding onto the above.... Another thing to keep in mind is that the way the system is set up (as many people have said/posted before), the difference between a 650 and a 700+ is by just a few points.

Oh: COMSAE A (taken a 2 months before test): 600
COMSAE B (Taken 3 weeks to a month before test): 678

What does this all mean in retrospect? Hard work will pay off to a degree, but whether you get a 650 or a 750 comes down to luck by a few points. For me, it wasn't "my luckiest day" in regards to the material I got, but I am still really happy! :D

Hey guys, just got home from rotation.. So my score was a 642.. My goal was a 650, so I was just shy, but still pleased considering I thought I didn't even hit 550 because I was marking 20-25 questions a block! So yes, I was really happy with my score!

A few things to keep in mind for people who are waiting for scores.. COMLEX, as mentioned multiple times before, is "hit or miss." This means there is some luck that goes into it regarding which test you get... Maybe on a different day and a different test I could of scored a 680 or whatever. For example, I was marking 20-25 questions a block because I was unsure of the information.. Maybe on a different test, the random stuff I got I would of somehow knew or came across. Or maybe I would of had less concussion/random neuro that I didn't know, and something else I was more comfortable in. I think you get the idea...

Adding onto the above.... Another thing to keep in mind is that the way the system is set up (as many people have said/posted before), the difference between a 650 and a 700+ is by just a few points.

Oh: COMSAE A (taken a 2 months before test): 600
COMSAE B (Taken 3 weeks to a month before test): 678

What does this all mean in retrospect? Hard work will pay off to a degree, but whether you get a 650 or a 750 comes down to luck by a few points. For me, it wasn't "my luckiest day" in regards to the material I got, but I am still really happy! :D
Congrats!! Still a pretty amazing score and now you can put it behind you!!

I actually didn't do comquest, just combank, and i started it after USMLE so i didn't get all the way through it. I think the key for me was just trying to learn things well the first time through. Also starting Kaplan Q bank and UWorld very early helped a lot I think - I started doing just 10 or 15 questions a day back in February or March, and I selected question sets that were relevant to what we were studying in school. And I read all the answers, I think that helps you understand better.

Thanks for the compliments lol. It wasn't exactly easy, but definitely doable. I would advise the class of 2015 to do three things - 1) understand rather than memorize 2) mnemonics for those things you just HAVE to memorize 3) make a schedule and start reviewing and doing questions early.

Thank you so much. I'm still debating whether to get a 6 month supply of Uworld or just buy it around the dedicated study period. If I remember your other post correctly, you only did one pass of Uworld right? I've always been a slow and steady type of person...but Uworld is not cheap!! Do you think starting earlier rather than later (2months before) was useful?

Congrats on the scores guys. If anyone did Combank or comquest, can you post your % and how much of the bank you did? Thanks.
I did all of it for both. combank was I think a 84% and comquest was upper 80s, i think 88%? I don't remember exactly.

same here (June 13 comlex)..i thought the comlex was pretty straight forward..so did another classmate of mine who took it on the same day. Take what i'm saying with a grain of salt though, I was doing ok on combank but not so hot on the comsae (B and C).

Okay, here are my stats for those who care/are crazy enough to read all these post like me...Most of what I did to succeed came from info I got on these forums, so trust in those who have done well that came before you. My stats: UW questions one pass 69%
COMBANK ~800qs 84%, ran out of time, but I found them useful
Kaplan ~40% completed qs with a 65% average. stopped doing these early (March) to spend more time on uworld
COMSAE B 640 a few days before my exam 5/29, 1st LECOM Practice COMLEX 640, 2nd 650
Read First Aid twice from Feb-March slowly cuz it helps me retain info and I'm just a slow reader. Read Goljans once about a month before my test, all the while doing questions from uworld. Of note, I made sure to read all of the qbank explanations of both right and wrong answers to help with understanding. Read First aid a third and final time making sure to sorta quiz myself while going through it. Also for fun read Micro deja review (useful, but not necessary) and Biochem Deja review (not really helpful) real quick. Two weeks before the exam I started reading OPP out of the green book (cuz I knew I'd be slow) and did two of the tests in the back. Studied stats, formulas and biochem with intensity in the last week before my test, since that crap does not stick in my head for very long.
Actual Exam= 699
EDIT: I also got my USMLE scores today...247. I'll take it.
I probably got a bit lucky with that score, but the above recipe should still be good for a quality (above 630) score. Of course, I could not have done this well without learning something in the 2yrs prior, so unless you're some kind of memorizing machine, try to make the best of your classes or PBL readings.

Last edited:
Okay, here are my stats for those who care/are crazy enough to read all these post like me...Most of what I did to succeed came from info I got on these forums, so trust in those who have done well that came before you. My stats: UW questions one pass 69%
COMBANK ~800qs 84%, ran out of time, but I found them useful
Kaplan ~40% completed qs with a 65% average. stopped doing these early (March) to spend more time on uworld
COMSAE B 640 a few days before my exam 5/29, 1st LECOM Practice COMLEX 640, 2nd 650
Read First Aid twice from Feb-March slowly cuz it helps me retain info and I'm just a slow reader. Read Goljans once about a month before my test, all the while doing questions from uworld. Of note, I made sure to read all of the qbank explanations of both right and wrong answers to help with understanding. Read First aid a third and final time making sure to sorta quiz myself while going through it. Also for fun read Micro deja review (useful, but not necessary) and Biochem Deja review (not really helpful) real quick. Two weeks before the exam I started reading OPP out of the green book (cuz I knew I'd be slow) and did two of the tests in the back. Studied stats, formulas and biochem with intensity in the last week before my test, since that crap does not stick in my head for very long.
Actual Exam= 699
I probably got a bit lucky with that score, but the above recipe should still be good for a quality (above 630) score. Of course, I could not have done this well without learning something in the 2yrs prior, so unless you're some kind of memorizing machine, try to make the best of your classes or PBL readings.

Congrats on your wicked score man :). In retrospect, do you wish you started Uworld earlier to do two passes?

got my score back today, was shooting for a 600 and thats what i got so I'm ok with it. walked out really not knowing what the heck my score was as i didn't do any comsaes and only did about half of combank before wanting to shoot the authors. i went by my school today to drop off some papers and apparently my class has seriously rocked the comlex, with the highest average they have ever seen this early in the score reporting. most all scores are back too, so congrats to all my classmates who read this thread!

Congrats on your wicked score man :). In retrospect, do you wish you started Uworld earlier to do two passes?
user_offline.gif

Not really, once was enough since I went so slow through it the first time. I should add that I of course would write important facts I found in UWORLD into first aid, so this made reading first aid that last time even more worth while. Some things are really dependent on the kind of person you are and if rushing through qbanks twice works for you, that's great.

Last edited:
I am hoping June 12th scores will come out this week. How do they notify us? or do we just need to keep checking online?