Official Columbia P&S 2010 Accepted Students Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sponge said:
Welcome aboard Wolfgang!

questions about housing: we send 6 mailing labels to the Housing office. one comes back with the application and our options. then we mail that and how long before the next step? How far along are you guys? Anyone trying to get the tiny $300 closet .. er.. room?

Rumor has it we hear back from housing in June.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really interested in living in towers. If anyone has any availbilites please let me know. I will be a MS1.

bumpity bump. What's this thread doing on page 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys... does anyone know when we are going to get information on classes, required items, required books, etc? I'm getting a little antsy for info, and I feel like I might have missed out on some of it during second-look week.

Thanks!

Wolfgang12345 said:
Hey guys... does anyone know when we are going to get information on classes, required items, required books, etc? I'm getting a little antsy for info, and I feel like I might have missed out on some of it during second-look week.

Thanks!
at the second look, if they told us about required books and stuff, they would be scaring half of us away. the revisit is supposed to be fun! but yea, i don't know anything, and i won't care until orientation. why do u need to know so soon? order books online and try to get a discount?

Wolfgang12345 said:

Thanks!

Don't worry about ANY of this until you get to school in August. The second years will have a big used book sale for you and it's best to wait to talk to us to see what books you will actually need. And as for info on classes, there's not much you need to know except when they start. There are no "required items" that you'll need ahead of time. Don't worry about any of this -- enjoy your summer!

margerita said:
Don't worry about ANY of this until you get to school in August. The second years will have a big used book sale for you and it's best to wait to talk to us to see what books you will actually need. And as for info on classes, there's not much you need to know except when they start. There are no "required items" that you'll need ahead of time. Don't worry about any of this -- enjoy your summer!

Thanks for the info... I think I am permanently scarred from my graduate school experience... at my grad school, they literally didn't even give us information on when "orientation" started - I found out from a fellow student that we had to be at school on a certain day (a week before classes) to draw straws for lab sections.... I just don't want to miss out on anything, and I guess it feels a bit anti-climactic - you finally get into a great med school and then *nothing* for months. (I'm certainly not going to buy my books now or anything !!! :) )

Does anyone know how to go about getting our Columbia e-mail addresses and/or get access to the online student services?

sponge said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/30/arts/music/30pian.html?ex=1149220800&en=78ea98623f21d5a8&ei=5070

Tale of Rachmaninoff and Medical Education

A nine-foot Steinway-D grand piano, hidden away in a dormitory of Columbia University's medical school, has achieved near-mythic status for its fuzzy relationship to Sergei Rachmaninoff.

with a multimedia interactive feature.

Yeah, I saw that. I don't care what they say. It was Rachmaninoff's piano. And Horowitz played on it too.

What's up everybody.. I've been stalking this thread for a while and decided it was finally time to join in.. I got in off the waitlist about a month ago (to my complete surprise) and am definately going to attend.. I can't wait until August and wish I could just move out to NYC now.. anybody coming from LA? If so, we should definately meet up.. Unfortunately I didn't get accepted in time to attend revisit weekend, so feel kinda out of the loop and hope to meet some of yall before school starts.. has anybody heard anything back from housing/email accounts/ID's, or received any emails from columbia at all? it's just weird not getting any emails when I was pretty much receiving weekly emails from the other schools I was accepted to.. maybe this is just the way it's done at columbia..

A note about housing: the more specific you are about what room you want in Bard, the higher the chance you will get it. The bigger river-view rooms are totally worth it! The east side of the building is always dealing with road noise, and anyway, the river view is nicer :) In general, it's better to be higher up and on the river. The street is super loud, especially in the morning (when you're trying to sleep) and I'm guessing that with next year's construction it is not something you're going to want to have to deal with....

Nice, I specifically said "corner riverview room," I reeeaaally hope i get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, first congrats :). my gosh it just seems like yesterday i was starting first yr and now I'm cramming like nuts for the boards.

Anyway, I saw some posts regarding living in the towers - totally possible. Best thing is to come to campus and look for roommate ads in Tower 1 & Bard, ppl are always looking for roommates!

The 2006-7 schedule has been posted: http://ical.mac.com/WebObjects/iCal.woa/wa/default?u=mldmd&n=PandS2006_7.ics

I think I saw a post regarding exam dates. And general info about first yr: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ps/affairs/first.html

And my plug for the P&S Club, why u chose P&S, right???

http://psclub.columbia.edu/

Enjoy.

bonnie

Hey all!

Sorry for not letting you all know earlier about this, but I've been traveling around the world since the middle of May, and just checked SDN for the first time today. The apartment fell through because the girl looking to fill the place chose two dental students. BOOO!!! Oh well, it's all about the Bard thing now!

Sorry again about the huge delay...

And Congrats to all the waitlisters :D WOOHOO!~

Anyone else watching Germany v. Costa Rica right now? :thumbup:

check your mail... just received the housing assignment. Mid-june, just like they promised. and no, I didn't get what I wanted. :thumbdown: :mad:

::sigh::

like ivy i just returned from a trip abroad too. hope i get the housing soon, i'm in nj so i'm expecting it now.

vik, where'd you go? And did you get that river view corner room?? I specified an actual room number, but since I'm still abroad, I have to wait until the end of June to find out....ahhhh....

Anyone into World Cup? It's crazy everywhere else but the US...so fun!

i was in spain for two weeks, which was amazing. i'm a soccer nut as i'm sure you'll see from my room decorations next year, i practically bought out the official FC Barcelona store in Barcelona. I guess tha good thing about being a little jet lagged is that it's 9 am on a Sunday and I'm awake to watch the first WC game of the day. Pretty much every hotel in Spain had a big screen or a projector set up near the bar for all of the games and everyone would congregate there at night. Anyway, off that tangent, I did specify a room number but I guess we'll see what happens because I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

Who do you root for? I'm in Seoul right now, and went to the Korea v. France game last night in what's the Seoul equivalent of NYC's Times Square. The game was from 4am-6am, projected on huge screens, but people starting filling in the area at noonish-early afternoon. I think they said there were ~800,000 people there. I have pictures. It was out of control. Talk about a country with ridiculous amounts of national pride!

That's pretty amazing, ivy. I wish I was affiliated with a country that had a better soccer team/more soccer pride. In Spain people really love their team and every paper has a front page story about the team every day during the cup. So I guess I root for the USA while they're still in it, which I don't think will be long. Then of course I can't help but love Brazil's style and flare. Otherwise I don't really back any teams, I just love watching good games. Anyone else get housing yet? Nothing here.

One of my friends in Philly just got hers. Let me know what room/floor you get!

I called them up just now and they said my assignment is going out today. So I guess they're spreading them out, I wonder why some people got them earlier? Now I'm paranoid that I'm going to be stuck in a dungeon. Well, I guess that describes most of the rooms, but I suppose some are better than others.

Anyone on 6th floor Bard??

8th floor Bard.. no riverview :( .. oh well, at least im higher up away from the street noise.. anybody else on 8th floor?

no word yet...maybe tomorrow...eeek! i thought this waiting stuff was over!

it was kinda strange because it said on the housing contract i got that i had to return the contract by 6/21 (two days after i received it).. sending these applications and contracts back to the housing office is costing me a small fortune especially when i have to do two day shipping.. does anybody know what activities are planned for us during orientation or what the schedule is? i was reading the posts for some other east coast schools and it sounds like they all have camping trips or "urban adventure" activities planned.. just wondering what ours is going to be like.. can't wait!

anyone else get an error page when trying to activate their columbia email?

badlydrawnvik said:

I did for a while too. Then I changed my password, and let's just say when they say don't include words that you could find in the dictionary, they might mean it. But other than that, make sure the passwords are teh same and there's no need for a PIN or authorization code or whatever.

sponge said:
I did for a while too. Then I changed my password, and let's just say when they say don't include words that you could find in the dictionary, they might mean it. But other than that, make sure the passwords are teh same and there's no need for a PIN or authorization code or whatever.
what did your error page say? i'm getting a "page cannot be displayed" like there's something wrong with the website.

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I didn't get into Columbia (I'm going to SUNY Upstate) but I did the Columbia Postbacc Program and have been working at the Neuro Institute up at Health Sciences for almost three years now. I subletted in Tower 1 for about 6 months (on Haven) and for the last 6 months have been living in a gorgeous building right on Riverside. It's a two-bedroom apartment on the sixth (top) floor of the building with unobstructed views of the Hudson and GW Bridge. It gets tons of light and faces west so you get fantastic sunset views of Jersey. The apartment is in superb condition (believe me, I have lived in NYC since 2003 and there are some real overpriced crapholes in this city). The neighborhood is fine (trust me, it is all Spanish people and they will NOT bother you -- I'm a single female and have come home late and loaded many times alone and have never had a problem). My current roommate is a dancer (she used to dance at Radio City Music Hall) and she is super nice and keeps the apartment ultra-clean. She has an adorable 3lb pomeranian that never barks -- I don't even like dogs but Dixie is ADORABLE!

Anyway, I am really sad to leave the apartment but have to move upstate for med school. The apartment is a five minute walk from the medical center and you can even walk along Riverside Dr and the park (a beautiful walk!). It is really ideal for a medical student.

I am leaving 3 July so it is available from then until November when her lease runs out. I am not sure yet if she is renewing the lease but if not there is always the option of taking over the lease with another medical school roommate. The building is really really nice for NYC and there is laundry in the basement and remote keyless entry to the building.

The rent is approx $890 a month - with utilities (includes gas, electricity, cable, and wireless high speed internet) about $960.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about the place and I can also send photos. The room is furnished now with a coffee table and dresser but could be furnished with a bed at your request.

Good luck and congrats on getting into Columbia!

[email protected]

What are the numbers listed in parentheses next to the white coat sizes a measure of (ex. extra small:34, small:36-38, etc.)?

badlydrawnvik said:
what did your error page say? i'm getting a "page cannot be displayed" like there's something wrong with the website.

hmm... my error said, quite simply, "ERROR:" and nothing after the colon. So I suppose it was a different error.

nuartgene said:
What are the numbers listed in parentheses next to the white coat sizes a measure of (ex. extra small:34, small:36-38, etc.)?
the numbers probably correspond to chest size, like a suit jacket.

thanks sponge, i got that error sometimes and the page cannot be displayed sometimes. i think maybe the page was blocked at work for some reason, when i came home it worked after i made a password with no known words. i also got my room assignment, i'm in 732 with a partial riverview. who's around there?

Whatsupdoc? said:
I have not ordered my white coat. I totally forgot about it. Was there some form or online thing we fill out for that?
Also I got room 511. No sink and no built in closet but at least it has a river view. Whatever, can't complain much for 630/month in manhattan. Anyone close by?

I'll be down the hall, 502. streetview, what?!
the white coat thing is on the welcome 2010 site they sent us an email about. August 11th is the deadline, so no rush. you can invite ppl to the ceremony on the form, so figure out how many guests you will have first.

badlydrawnvik said:
the numbers probably correspond to chest size, like a suit jacket.

thanks sponge, i got that error sometimes and the page cannot be displayed sometimes. i think maybe the page was blocked at work for some reason, when i came home it worked...
no prob vik.
Re white coat size: Yea, I think the numbers do correspond to chest size. But err on the side of too big, because you will be wearing your white coat over clothing.

sounds good.. thanks for the info.. is the orientation reservation supposed to be sent back to P&S club? i don't think it tells us where to send it...

Here's the link to orientation info: http://psclub.columbia.edu/2010welcome

To the out of towners, come to NYC early so we can play :)

And...where was that info to set up an email account?

All the info to setup your email account is under the "response required" section.. it only takes a second.

Haha yea I realized that right after I posted. Thanks :)

badlydrawnvik said:

i did too... i was actually checkig SDN to see if anyone was able to.

Dov said:

I was able to activate mine, but did anyone get a message saying they were ineligible for Asic/unix e-mail?

Dov said:
I think the page that just says "Error" is what you get when your password doesn't meet the requirements. It seems really strict about not including words that could appear in the dictionary and it can detect when you use one.

Hey guys!

So I made a group for the P&S Class of 2010 on facebook.com, so once you all make your Columbia UNI accounts, make Columbia facebook accounts so you can join and see who our classmates are.

Cheers!

no more fobby avatar ivy?? :( .. haha.. omg... this is the first time i've ever used a smilie on SDN and i can't believe that this is one: :barf: .. this is probably old news to everyone.. anyways.. hope everyone's having a nice weekend

nuartgene said:
no more fobby avatar ivy??

Hey, at least I don't use pick up lines like: "If I were an enzyme, I'd be DNA helicase so I could unzip your genes." :laugh:

Hey, at least I don't use pick up lines like: "If I were an enzyme, I'd be DNA helicase so I could unzip your genes." :laugh:[/QUOTE]

hahahah... am i the only one that finds that joke hilarious??? :confused: .. anyways.. fobby is good! half my friends are fobs.. even my girlfriend is technically a fob (altho she's probably even more americanized than me).. what are you up to now that you're done w/ all your travels?

No, acutally, I sent the joke to all my meddie friends. We love it. In fact, I've already used it, albeit, on a college roommate. She totally wanted to get into my pants after that.

I am *not* a fob. :mad: Though fobbiness is super contagious. Spending two weeks in Asia started getting to me.

As for the rest of the summer...I quit my job of two years right before I made off for the rest of the world, so I'll be spending the next two months enjoying NYC.

So like I've said - if anyone's in the area, let me know - we can play!

I was thinkin of getting a laptop. Aside from wireless capability and a CD burner (that's what the computing center recommended), are there any other requirements/recommendations for a computer there at school? Memory?RAM?...