Official Columbia P&S 2010 Accepted Students Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhotoMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to all those accepted. Discuss issues of starting school here and post your acceptance stories. Screw all you people that didn't get in off the waitlist. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey... I am in and I am going (it is my first choice AND it is the only school I have an acceptance to :) )

If I may, what made y'all decide to apply to CP&S over, say, Cornell, or one of the other NY schools? And when you got there to interview, what was the place like? Very urban? Loud? Quiet? Were there trees and grass, or more concrete? Were you in the midst of everything, or...? Etc. I'm quite curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rafa said:
If I may, what made y'all decide to apply to CP&S over, say, Cornell, or one of the other NY schools? And when you got there to interview, what was the place like? Very urban? Loud? Quiet? Were there trees and grass, or more concrete? Were you in the midst of everything, or...? Etc. I'm quite curious.

I wasn't even interviewed by most of the NY schools including Cornell and MSSM (only NYU and Columbia). I am waitlisted at NYU. So the choice was easy. NYC is fantastic and I would be equally excited to go to any school there.

PhotoMD said:
Screw all you people that didn't get in off the waitlist. :)

To answer the question about why choose to apply to Columbia over the other NYC schools. I wouldn't recommend it. I liked NYU a lot better. But it all depends on your personality and what you are looking for in a school.

The above quoted statement pretty much sums up the personality of most of the people I met at Columbia. Out of all my interviews (10+), it was the ONLY school I absolutely hated. But then again, I'm sure it's a good fit for some people. From what I've heard from other people who have interviewed there, they either love it or hate it...I haven't received much middle-ground feedback.

For people going to the revisit weekend, are you going one or two days?

hyperion said:
For people going to the revisit weekend, are you going one or two days?

I want to go for both days; however, I have a 7 hour lab on thursdays that would be bad to miss. I am going to e-mail the teacher and see if i can make it up on my own. Else, I will be there friday.

Congrats to all those that've gotten in so far, and good luck to the rest of us still waiting.

DNM503 said:
The above quoted statement pretty much sums up the personality of most of the people I met at Columbia. .

I think you misinterpreted that statement :confused:
PhotoMD is a Columbia student who got in from the waitlist last year so he/she was jokingly saying "screw you, lucky people who got accepted immediately"

i'm in and definitely attending next year! i will probably do both days, but i guess we'll see what the schedule looks like, one day might be enough.

badlydrawnvik said:
i'm in and definitely attending next year! i will probably do both days, but i guess we'll see what the schedule looks like, one day might be enough.

I'll probably be going there next year as well! I'll be at the revisit weekend both days.

troszic said:
I'll probably be going there next year as well! I'll be at the revisit weekend both days.

Apparently there is lot of booze at these things!

funshine said:
I think you misinterpreted that statement :confused:
PhotoMD is a Columbia student who got in from the waitlist last year so he/she was jokingly saying "screw you, lucky people who got accepted immediately"

Oh, okay. Sorry for the misinterpretation. But I hold to the fact that Columbia and I just didn't "fit." Congrats to those accepted and want to go though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance packet today and I'm pretty stoked on getting into Columbia. Its an awesome school and I liked it a lot, the only gripe I had was Bard Hall which made my freshmen dorms look like the Hilton. Anyhow, congrats to all you out there who got accepted.

In a unrelated subject, does anyone know how good the financial aid packages are at Columbia?

Definitely try to come to both days of Revisit! The chance to stay with a student is a great way to get a feel for P&S and Thursday night will definitely be lots of fun!

Rebs said:
Got my acceptance packet today and I'm pretty stoked on getting into Columbia. Its an awesome school and I liked it a lot, the only gripe I had was Bard Hall which made my freshmen dorms look like the Hilton. Anyhow, congrats to all you out there who got accepted.

In a unrelated subject, does anyone know how good the financial aid packages are at Columbia?

My Columbia financial aid package was a better deal than going to my state med school (UNC).

Got my big envelope today!!! Very exciting!

I have 2 questions for anyone who can answer them though:
Do they reimburse us for travel to revisit weekend? It didn't say on the RSVP so I'm guessing no.
And, for a current 3rd or 4th year student, I was also accepted to NYU and a big thing that draws me to them is the diversity of the Bellevue patient population. Do you guys think you get a patient population as diverse between NY Presbyterian and the other hospitals/clinics that you can do rotations in?

Thanks so much for the info and congrats to everyone who got in!

Did anyone receive their "financial aid package" with their Columbia letters? If so, did you already send in your FAFSA, etc.

Just curious. Thanks.

xaviera_o said:
Got my big envelope today!!! Very exciting!

I have 2 questions for anyone who can answer them though:
Do they reimburse us for travel to revisit weekend? It didn't say on the RSVP so I'm guessing no.
And, for a current 3rd or 4th year student, I was also accepted to NYU and a big thing that draws me to them is the diversity of the Bellevue patient population. Do you guys think you get a patient population as diverse between NY Presbyterian and the other hospitals/clinics that you can do rotations in?

Thanks so much for the info and congrats to everyone who got in!

I can attest to the diversity of the Presby patient population. It's a premier hospital in the middle of a Dominican neighborhood, meaning that people of all kinds are attracted to it. It's worth noting that you get plenty of clinical experience as a first year, which is how I arrived at these observations. I can't really state how this is relative to Bellevue, never having been there.

badlydrawnvik said:
is this booze courtesy of columbia?

I hope so... I just heard in general these things provide booze. If not, I'll just bring my own. :)

If it's anything like the last couple of years of revisit, there will be beer and such at a rooftop barbeque, wine at "coffeehouse" (you'll find out more about this later), and then most people, including 1st and 2nd years, go out on the UWS after.

In terms of patient diversity, I'd think we see much more at NY Presby. Like PhotoMD said, our hospital is in the middle of a Dominican neighborhood. All the out of town celebs and political figures come here, too, which is fun... lots of camera crews when Clinton (and more recently, Pataki) was in. We also have a smattering of hospitals all over town... Harlem Hospital, St. Luke's in Morningside, Roosevelt in midtown, Stamford Hospital, Cooperstown, primary care rotations at Dartmouth and on Navajo reservations in AZ and NM...

Also, Columbia does not (or at least has not been) reimbursing for revisit. My impression is that only happens for MD/PhD candidates.

Hi guys, I thought I would join this thread even though I'm not 100% sure that I'll be there next year. I loved it when I visited and love NYC but am a little concerned about the dorm thing. Does everyone think they will end up at Bard? How common is it for first years to find apartments?

banana said:
Hi guys, I thought I would join this thread even though I'm not 100% sure that I'll be there next year. I loved it when I visited and love NYC but am a little concerned about the dorm thing. Does everyone think they will end up at Bard? How common is it for first years to find apartments?

I loved dorm life in college... i cannot wait

two words: pataki and clinton. they talked about pataki's surgery tonight on the news and i got giddy when they mentioned ny presbyterian.

Am I going to be at a disadvantage in the clinic since I am not fluent in Spanish? I had only 3 years in high school (equiv. to 1/2 year of college Spanish; hooray for public education :thumbdown: ).

troszic said:
Am I going to be at a disadvantage in the clinic since I am not fluent in Spanish? I had only 3 years in high school (equiv. to 1/2 year of college Spanish; hooray for public education :thumbdown: ).
yeah i did through AP spanish in high school, i barely remember any of it, but i'm going to spain this summer so maybe i'll remember some basics?

I took spanish in HS (3 yrs) and 4 semesters in college... i still cannot speak it. :(

Has anyone, either current students or future ones, explored apartment options on the upper west side/morningside heights? I love Columbia, but really don't like the idea of living in Bard. I'm from NYC, so if I decide on Columbia I will probably try to find an apartment near the A/C or 1/2/3 lines. I think the extra cost is worth it. Suggestions?

MedicallyBlond said:
Has anyone, either current students or future ones, explored apartment options on the upper west side/morningside heights? I love Columbia, but really don't like the idea of living in Bard. I'm from NYC, so if I decide on Columbia I will probably try to find an apartment near the A/C or 1/2/3 lines. I think the extra cost is worth it. Suggestions?
i agree, bard does not look too tempting, but i think it might be the best option for getting to know everyone in my class. also, i thought the towers next door were reeaaalllly nice from what our tour guide showed us. those don't seem to be too expensive and you're required to have lived in bard for a year to be eligible. then again if you can find some roommates to keep the expenses down at your own place i guess it's not a bad idea.

badlydrawnvik said:
i agree, bard does not look too tempting, but i think it might be the best option for getting to know everyone in my class. also, i thought the towers next door were reeaaalllly nice from what our tour guide showed us. those don't seem to be too expensive and you're required to have lived in bard for a year to be eligible. then again if you can find some roommates to keep the expenses down at your own place i guess it's not a bad idea.

I dont understand the stigma with Bard. It is not going to be like an undergraduate dorm with parties and annoying roommates. It is going to be a bunch of medical students in the same year going through the same experience as you. Moreover, you're right next door to your classes, the hospital, and the library. Finally, it is cheap! I lived in the city two summers ago... I was paying $1400 for a one bedroom not including utilities. Bard is a deal. I personally cannot wait to live there. I loved dorm life in college. ANyone agree with me?

Don't people only live in Bard Hall their first year? The rest of the time is spent in Bard Towers, which is composed of really sweet apartments, actually. Cheap housing in NYC = awesome!

it's not so much a stigma as that bard is just not that nice. yeah i lived in a dorm freshman year of college and it wasnt that great but whatever. after that i lived in a really nice 4 person apartment and then a nice 5 person house so it feels like a step back from living in a really nice place with space and your own kitchen and bathroom shared by few people to a dorm. either way i'm sure living in bard will be a good experience.

I agree that there are some big perks to living in Bard -- convenience, low cost, getting to know everyone. I'm willing to give that all up to live in a nicer apartment, preferably close to but not in Washington Heights because (1) I don't think I'll have any trouble getting to know everyone. It's a small class and I'm very very social/outgoing (2) I'm willing to make a short commute to school. The subway is great. (3) I'm fully prepared and willing to pay much more for rent.

It's a personal choice and I can see how living in Bard would be really fun. But I'm already pretty certain that I would rather get an apartment outside of Washington Heights. That is, if I do go to Columbia. So, does anyone have any advice for the non-Bard route?

badlydrawnvik said:

I don't think I've ever heard that you're "required" to live in Bard before going into the towers. This *might* be true if you're going the apartment wait-list route. There are plenty of people in my class who started out first year already living in the towers because they were savvy enough to check around campus the summer before, and find fliers of people looking for roomies. Of course, you have to be in the NYC area to do this, but it IS possible!

In terms of looking for apartments outside of Columbia housing, you're on your own. There are people in my class who live in SoHo, Staten Island, UES (this person has a car), UWS, Morningside, etc. Being close to the 1 or the A is definitely helpful.

Pinner Doc said:
I don't think I've ever heard that you're "required" to live in Bard before going into the towers. This *might* be true if you're going the apartment wait-list route. There are plenty of people in my class who started out first year already living in the towers because they were savvy enough to check around campus the summer before, and find fliers of people looking for roomies. Of course, you have to be in the NYC area to do this, but it IS possible!

In terms of looking for apartments outside of Columbia housing, you're on your own. There are people in my class who live in SoHo, Staten Island, UES (this person has a car), UWS, Morningside, etc. Being close to the 1 or the A is definitely helpful.
yeah i could be wrong i thought i heard this from my tour guide.

MedicallyBlond said:

I live in NYC too, 2 stops on the C from P&S, 155 and St. Nick. Took a cab to my interview, and it took possibly 4 minutes to get there, quite a diffrence from some of the romps round the country to get to other places.

I'm a native upper west sider, and have moved back and forth some. What are you looking for?? A room in an apt on 108th and amsterdam at 750/850 a month (if you're lucky) and sorta far from school--basically the columbia lower campus area?

Or my area which is getting safer and cleaner day by day and is close to school where the rent is about 600 a month for a beautiful apt with spacious rooms.....but you have to deal probably with mice, some roaches, the hot water coming on and off...but as I said, close to school and since its up-and -coming, if you grab the apt now, as the new management de-mouses and de-roaches and fixes it up so that the boiler works...the building will become beautiful, the rents will soar, and yours will stay very low.....ha ha the art of living in manhattan!

Then there's going above 168th street (I lived on 193rd st for a yr) and when you go even further and a little more west things get really pretty in washington heights, around the 190's on top of the hill.

Honestly, if you really are interested in any of these areas I know either landlords or current tenants and can give you ways to contact them. Lemme know if any of this helps.

I agree MedicallyBlond. After getting used to having a nice big apt at school I am not at all excited about living in Bard. The place sucks. A friend from school and I are looking at places in the UWS/Morningside Hts. If any students graduating have apts that are going to be available starting this summer, please let me know. If anyone has other suggestions......

Does anyone know what type of grades we need to keep out acceptances? A's? B's? C's? Passing?

I have lost all motivation to work since getting in and I dont want to shoot myself in the foot.

Hey Guys, Check out our school's surgical matches for 2006: Wow!!

Total Surgery: 50
Ortho Surgery: 11
General Surgery: 18
Neurosurgery: 9
Plastic Surgery: 4

This is why we're called the "College of Surgeons and Surgeons"

-Columbia S&S Class of 2010

Just have a coupla questions and can't seem to wait for revisit weekend. Some of them may seem silly but you never know.....

1) Is there a cafeteria IN Bard Hall? Is there a food plan for it if it exists or all done on a cash basis? Is it relatively cheap? expensive? Is the food ok?

2) Is bard wired for cable TV in the individual rooms?

3) Is there wireless access anywhere on campus?

4) When I was there for my interview, the class I sat in on was being held in a temp. auditorium because I think a new auditorium was being built...or the old was was being remodeled??Is this true? Has the work been completed? Is this where 1st year classes are being held?I've heard complaints of the facilities at columbia, was this upgrade in response to that?

5) If I was having difficulty with a class and I needed help, other than that of textbooks and classmates, where could I go?

6) Are professors relatively accessible (everyone's busy, but if you keep at'm will they help?)

7)Are there any any grocery stores that have good produce that exist near P&S?

sometimes u just gotta know ......thanx

mazeymaze said:
Just have a coupla questions and can't seem to wait for revisit weekend. Some of them may seem silly but you never know.....

1) Is there a cafeteria IN Bard Hall? Is there a food plan for it if it exists or all done on a cash basis? Is it relatively cheap? expensive? Is the food ok?

4) When I was there for my interview, the class I sat in on was being held in a temp. auditorium because I think a new auditorium was being built...or the old was was being remodeled??Is this true? Has the work been completed? Is this where 1st year classes are being held?I've heard complaints of the facilities at columbia, was this upgrade in response to that?

5) If I was having difficulty with a class and I needed help, other than that of textbooks and classmates, where could I go?

6) Are professors relatively accessible (everyone's busy, but if you keep at'm will they help?)

7 is the only one I can answer... I worked there over the summer and to the bes of my knowledge, no. I remember looking for a place to buy cigaretter around the university (ehen i still smoked) I had to look for a half hour. But, a ten minute subweay ride will down broadway will bring you to some really good grocery stores.

mazeymaze said:

There is a cafeteria in Bard... usually can get meals for about $5. When I lived in Bard, I just cooked in my room or in the 11th floor kitchen. Or ordered in. I moved into the Towers about Feb of my first year.

You can get basic network TV in Bard. You have to pay for cable.

There is wireless in 1st floor Bard, most of the library, and a lot of the hospital (to my knowledge).

You probably interviewed when the 1st year auditorium was being revamped. It took about 2 weeks... fine now. Facilities are great. I think I know which auditorium they put you in, and DON'T WORRY. Nothing we use regularly is as bad as that! :)

If you're having difficulty with a class, we have a whole Student Success Network of mini review classes set up by second years before each exam. You can also have access to a second year tutor through this same program. Also, go visit to the prof.

Professors in med school are a little different. There is one course director per class, and lecturers are usually different each day-- they bring in experts from the field to each each particular lecture. Most are cool with you emailing with questions. Some might even let you visit them. You would probably have no probs getting together with the course director.

We have a Gristedes at 170 and Broadway with decent produce. Many like to order online from Fresh Direct. There is also a Columibia shuttle to the super Fairway at 125th street that goes 3x/week.

Pinner Doc said:
There is a cafeteria in Bard... usually can get meals for about $5. When I lived in Bard, I just cooked in my room or in the 11th floor kitchen. Or ordered in. I moved into the Towers about Feb of my first year.

You can get basic network TV in Bard. You have to pay for cable.

There is wireless in 1st floor Bard, most of the library, and a lot of the hospital (to my knowledge).

You probably interviewed when the 1st year auditorium was being revamped. It took about 2 weeks... fine now. Facilities are great. I think I know which auditorium they put you in, and DON'T WORRY. Nothing we use regularly is as bad as that! :)

If you're having difficulty with a class, we have a whole Student Success Network of mini review classes set up by second years before each exam. You can also have access to a second year tutor through this same program. Also, go visit to the prof.

Professors in med school are a little different. There is one course director per class, and lecturers are usually different each day-- they bring in experts from the field to each each particular lecture. Most are cool with you emailing with questions. Some might even let you visit them. You would probably have no probs getting together with the course director.

We have a Gristedes at 170 and Broadway with decent produce. Many like to order online from Fresh Direct. There is also a Columibia shuttle to the super Fairway at 125th street that goes 3x/week.

YO! Thank you!

All answers appreciated.

I was actually wondering about the fresh direct--they don't deliver to me and I live 15 blocks downtown from P&S right now!! Its amazing how u can live so close by and still not know the intricacies of an area in NYC.

Do you mind if I ask specifically why you moved outta Bard in Feb? AND was that whole process cool? I mean, was it rather easy administratively to up and leave or did you face opposition when you'd had enough of dorm life??

mazeymaze said:
YO! Thank you!

All answers appreciated.

I was actually wondering about the fresh direct--they don't deliver to me and I live 15 blocks downtown from P&S right now!! Its amazing how u can live so close by and still not know the intricacies of an area in NYC.

Do you mind if I ask specifically why you moved outta Bard in Feb? AND was that whole process cool? I mean, was it rather easy administratively to up and leave or did you face opposition when you'd had enough of dorm life??

No, it was really easy. They gave me my money back for the rest of the semester of Bard. Moving around is pretty common.

I moved out because I was almost 25 years old, had been out of college for a year, and felt silly living in a dorm room. Especially when my out of town boyfriend came to visit. I came from living in NC, where I had lived in my own apartment and could have lived in a whole townhouse if I had so chosen. Dorm life has it's charm... but for me, that charm faded away when I was about 20. ;)

Hey guys - quick question. Columbia is almost certainly where I will be next year, but due to personal complications I will remain only 99% sure for a few more weeks. What's the protocol on whether or not I should accept given the chance my decision is not set in stone? I called and was told there is no deadline (until the obvious May one), but the acceptance letter requested a response within 3 weeks, and I'd hate to mess up my spot with a silly error.

Thanks for any info.

Cayetano said:
Hey guys - quick question. Columbia is almost certainly where I will be next year, but due to personal complications I will remain only 99% sure for a few more weeks. What's the protocol on whether or not I should accept given the chance my decision is not set in stone? I called and was told there is no deadline (until the obvious May one), but the acceptance letter requested a response within 3 weeks, and I'd hate to mess up my spot with a silly error.

Thanks for any info.

ACCEPT and you can always decline and let someone off the waitlist later... this is your acceptace. the only reason you would not accept is if you are certain you are NOT going to go.

Does anyone know if first years get a computer? I ask because I am thinking of buying a new one, but it would be stupid if I were getting one from Columbia.