Official Columbia P&S 2010 Accepted Students Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bumping for the new acceptees.

Oh, and for housing, as tempting as it was to ask for the closet and have an extra $300 a month to blow at sushi of gari, I asked them pretty please to give me a room with a river view.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i sent my form out today asking for that riverview. when you live in a 10 x 12 jail cell it would be nice to have that view of the bridge. i would love to get one of those corner riverview rooms.

I'm bumping this thread for no particular reason, because I got off the P&S waitlist earlier this week and have decided to go, and I just wanted to say hi to my future classmates on this thread!

I had never posted on SDN prior to this week, but I decided to make a few trial posts yesterday, and now I'm sort of addicted. But heck, I'm pretty much done with classes, so I could totally use a new hobby. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
mountainhare said:
I'm bumping this thread for no particular reason, because I got off the P&S waitlist earlier this week and have decided to go, and I just wanted to say hi to my future classmates on this thread!

I had never posted on SDN prior to this week, but I decided to make a few trial posts yesterday, and now I'm sort of addicted. But heck, I'm pretty much done with classes, so I could totally use a new hobby. :laugh:

Congrats!

mountainhare said:

Congrats, mountainhare! I'm envious that you're done. I have one week left, and am trying to end on a good note...

Yeah I'm envious that you're done as well. I had my 3rd 8am final this morning and my last one is tomorrow...at 8am! On a side note our thread is longer than Cornell's! :D

badlydrawnvik said:
On a side note our thread is longer than Cornell's! :D

Give me a break... What are you five?

I can't decide between the two schools (Cornell & Columbia) so if there's anyone else in the same boat, let me know your thoughts.

Mr T said:

I can't decide between the two schools (Cornell & Columbia) so if there's anyone else in the same boat, let me know your thoughts.

Come on now... lighten up! (or go to Cornell... heehee)

hey everyone!
I too will be a member of the class of 2010! Can't wait to meet yall!

Two questions:
1. I work in a neuro lab and my boss wants to send me to the Society for Neuroscience conference in October, the 14th to 18th. Should I go, not knowing the exam schedule? Last year's schedule shows no exam till Oct 24th. I have to submit an abstract soon: this Monday!

Karl Hungus said:
Here are two sites that can hopefully answer some of the computer questions you have about next year. This first one is the general computing site for columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/

This following site has links to computer stores (Apple, Dell, etc) that have special educational deals with Columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/acsc/sales/
2. Since I don't have a UNI login yet, I couldn't find out what deals one could get on a computer through P&S. How much money would one save on a laptop that would normally cost about $1200? It seems quite possible to get good deals through stores or from manufacturer's, especially with back to school. But the free software is good to know about.

Thanks in advance!

sponge said:
hey everyone!

Two questions:
1. I work in a neuro lab and my boss wants to send me to the Society for Neuroscience conference in October, the 14th to 18th. Should I go, not knowing the exam schedule? Last year's schedule shows no exam till Oct 24th. I have to submit an abstract soon: this Monday!

2. Since I don't have a UNI login yet, I couldn't find out what deals one could get on a computer through P&S. How much money would one save on a laptop that would normally cost about $1200? It seems quite possible to get good deals through stores or from manufacturer's, especially with back to school. But the free software is good to know about.

Thanks in advance!
You can get the general education discount at the Apple store which is 10%. I have taken advantage of that for a new iPod and hopefully a Macbook some day.

sponge said:
hey everyone!

Two questions:

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the P&S thread, sponge!

I have no idea how supportive they'll be about you taking off for the neuroscience conference, but I'd submit the abstract if I were you. Unless they pick you for the plenary session, they're not going to be that pissed if you end up having to cancel on them, right?

definitely go to the conference! i am a first year and promise you that the first exam is super easy, so don't stress about needing tons of time to study for it.

sponge said:
hey everyone!

Two questions:

(QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
mountainhare said:

When you got off the waitlist, how long was it before you got your financial aid package? And did that weigh in your decision?

almost_there said:
When you got off the waitlist, how long was it before you got your financial aid package? And did that weigh in your decision?

Unless my dad is concealing something from me, my financial aid package actually hasn't arrived yet. (It's been over a week since I got off the waitlist.) So my financial aid package didn't weigh in my decision at all. I just figured that no matter how little financial aid I get, I'll nonetheless probably be happier at P&S than either of the other schools I got into. I like East Coast culture, I like the artsiness of New York City, I like NYC's proximity to the location of many of my friends, I like the well-roundedness of P&S's students and of its curriculum, I like the history-drenched feel of Columbia University as a whole, and I like how fun and enthusiastic the P&S students I met at my interview seemed. To me, these plusses would outweigh even a very stingy financial aid package, so I made up my mind before I heard back from the financial-aid folks.

Good luck making a decision (if you haven't made one yet), almost_there. Also, hello to my other future classmate, sponge (sorry I don't have the knowledge to answer either of your questions)!

margerita said:
definitely go to the conference! i am a first year and promise you that the first exam is super easy, so don't stress about needing tons of time to study for it.

sponge said:
hey everyone!

Two questions:

(QUOTE]

I actually think that the 14th-18th of Oct falls around the second exam block... ie, the first anatomy exam. It's definitely passable, but I had a sick family member at home and ended up actually (gulp, swallowing pride) failing that one. Just stay on top of things. My issues really jumped up on me suddenly... you'll be able to prepare ahead of time.

mountainhare said:
Unless my dad is concealing something from me, my financial aid package actually hasn't arrived yet. (It's been over a week since I got off the waitlist.) So my financial aid package didn't weigh in my decision at all. I just figured that no matter how little financial aid I get, I'll nonetheless probably be happier at P&S than either of the other schools I got into. I like East Coast culture, I like the artsiness of New York City, I like NYC's proximity to the location of many of my friends, I like the well-roundedness of P&S's students and of its curriculum, I like the history-drenched feel of Columbia University as a whole, and I like how fun and enthusiastic the P&S students I met at my interview seemed. To me, these plusses would outweigh even a very stingy financial aid package, so I made up my mind before I heard back from the financial-aid folks.

Good luck making a decision (if you haven't made one yet), almost_there. Also, hello to my other future classmate, sponge (sorry I don't have the knowledge to answer either of your questions)!

Thanks, MountainHare! Unfortunately, financial aid does play a factor in my decision, and I'm not sure how I can make a decision without that info. I am wavering on whether to write a letter of intent (was told by Dean Frantz that it would greatly increase my chances of getting off the waitlist), because I don't yet have this info...

I am going to Cornell and I was told that another native student is going to be at P&S. We are setting up a huge native program that is similar to the Harvard program. I was wondering if this student looks at this board. We are trying to find enrolled (actually I am not a stickler about enrollment) natives at the NYC schools. I am enrolled Cherokee eastern band. Went to u of Mich and Harvard. Well, if you are out there, I will love to chat?

I am going to Cornell and I was told that another native student is going to be at P&S. We are setting up a huge native program that is similar to the Harvard program. I was wondering if this student looks at this board. We are trying to find enrolled (actually I am not a stickler about enrollment) natives at the NYC schools. I am enrolled Cherokee eastern band. Went to u of Mich and Harvard. Well, if you are out there, I will love to chat?

thanks badlydrawnvik, dbhvt, margerita and Pinner Doc for the advice!

dbhvt: it's not a good idea to submit an abstract and not show. There are worse things, even though I know I won't be picked for a plenary session. No one in my lab is going this year, it seems, so no one could present on my behalf. Well, if I can get my act together, I'm going to submit my abstract and hope there's no exam during or right after the conference. And i'll have enough time beforehand to make arrangements. I think presenting my research at a large conference like this is an experience not worth missing out, especially since my research is in computational neuroscience, and I don't think I'll be dabbling in that field after med school (although anything is possible)

akaz: If I meet any native students when med school starts up, I'll point them in your direction. I'm glad you're working on an initiative like this, I wish you success!

I'm happy to see that there are more people on this thread...congrats to the newcomers! Are you all doing the Bard thang too?

I chose Cornell, but I liked columbia too. For me it was the PBL, I already know from grad school that that is how I learn best. The other was the neighborhood. I have a 4 year old and cornell gives really nice family housing if you have a child. Both are great schools. Both have great match lists. Both are in NYC. The difference is curriculum and the really good labs at cornell are at rockefeller and sloan, whereas they are at P&S for Columbia. I am kind of looking to make sure I made the right choice.

Mr T said:

Glad to see this thread coming to life. In studying for my last final right now, I was reviewing a few chapters in Principals of Neural Science. I can't believe that guy is going to be teaching us. P&S is going to be ****ing awesome.

Kandel's book quoting Proust said:
And soon, mechanically, dispirited after a dreary day with the prospect of a dreary morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory—this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was me.

dbhvt said:
Glad to see this thread coming to life. In studying for my last final right now, I was reviewing a few chapters in Principals of Neural Science. I can't believe that guy is going to be teaching us. P&S is going to be ****ing awesome.

I just saw Kandel lecture at a symposium at Albert Einstein. He was funny in his introductions, but the lecture itself was kind of boring (don't want you to get your hopes up too high). Still though, he is a brilliant man. I think there is a fairly strong negative correlation between how great a scientist one is and how great a lecturer one is.

sponge said:
I just saw Kandel lecture at a symposium at Albert Einstein. He was funny in his introductions, but the lecture itself was kind of boring (don't want you to get your hopes up too high). Still though, he is a brilliant man. I think there is a fairly strong negative correlation between how great a scientist one is and how great a lecturer one is.

Or how interested in a particular topic a given audience member is?

Pinner Doc said:
Or how interested in a particular topic a given audience member is?

hey!.... My entire neuroscience lab, people with different backgrounds and interests within neuro, were in agreement. But maybe, just maybe, my interest or lack thereof played a role.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know about Kandel. We had Gunter Blobel, the nobel winner from the year before speak at my school a few weeks ago, he was very interesting, but he's at Rockefellar.

Hey, I was wondering when folks were planning to move in? I can't seem to find where on the website it says when the first day of class is and when they start letting us into Bard, and I want to start scouting for plane tickets.

Orientation starts Monday, Aug. 21st, and classes start on the 28th. I'm not sure when Bard opens up, but I'm assuming the weekend before orientation?

aren't there two weeks of orientation? i have the feeling we move in two weeks before classes start but i could be wrong.

Hey all--

There is 1 week of orientation. I was able to move into my Bard room early by a few days (this was 2 years ago), but if you're moving in more than a couple of days early, they'll probably charge you per day. I would call the housing office if you're interested in moving in early.

If there's no one in your room over the summer, it is possible to move in when you want -- but, again, they'll charge you. There are always rising first year students who are doing research on campus who move in the summer before- so it can be done!

Hope that helps!

Anyone out there who wants to live with me in the Towers? I have a friend who's a 4th year moving out of the 3Bdrm apartment, leaving behind a third roommate who's looking to fill the two empty rooms. I saw the place yesterday, and it's *gorgeous.* ~$780/mo, utilities included, river view, bay windows, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living room, available at the beginning of July. I'm going to be an MS1 in the fall, and would love to live in the Towers. PM me ASAP if you're interested!

I was just looking for orientation dates... first stop: SDN, and my questions answered. thanks!

I actually like the columbia thread... Anyone that knows who Kandel is...well, excellent. Beats the U of Mich thread. How many posts can you have about football?

ivy91 said:
Orientation starts Monday, Aug. 21st, and classes start on the 28th. I'm not sure when Bard opens up, but I'm assuming the weekend before orientation?

I moved in the Saturday before orientation. Everyone kinda trickled in over the weekend through Monday.

Not much of a student doctor poster more of a lurker, but I'm definitely gonna be at Columbia this August. Very exciting and I look forward to meeting you all!

I had one random quesiton. Does Columbia reccommend any one brand of stethoscope?

After doing an ungodly amount of thinking about both schools, I'm coming to Columbia. Its gonna be sick.

On a side note. Akaz, I think you made the right decision too. If I were older and had a family, I would have probably chose Cornell due to the housing and location.

rdzak said:
Not much of a student doctor poster more of a lurker, but I'm definitely gonna be at Columbia this August. Very exciting and I look forward to meeting you all!

I had one random quesiton. Does Columbia reccommend any one brand of stethoscope?

Not at all. You don't really need one till Physical Diagnosis your second year, but I got one for first year after I was assigned a clerkship in thoracic surgery. I used it like twice. And I put the ear pieces in backwards, so I couldn't hear anything. Sweeet. ;)

I recommend the Littmann Classic II SE.

Mr T said:
After doing an ungodly amount of thinking about both schools, I'm coming to Columbia. Its gonna be sick.

sweet.

Does anyone know if there are any trips (camping, etc) or activites that are organized by the school before orientation?

Mr T said:
Does anyone know if there are any trips (camping, etc) or activites that are organized by the school before orientation?

No, but that's a good idea.

So I still have not received any housing info. I'm not too worried because I plan to live off campus, but was wondering if you guys had received anything else in the mail. I am hoping that the housing packet just got lost in the mail rather than me not being on the mailing list.

Hey!

Super excited to join the Columbia Class of 2010 thread! I just got in off the waitlist, and I still have to withdraw from UCLA, though that's a painful decision too but I think I'm making the right choice.

I can't wait! Hey, can anyone give me some input as to how 2nd year goes in terms of stress? (main concern I guess)

Thank you!

mchou said:
Hey!

Super excited to join the Columbia Class of 2010 thread! I just got in off the waitlist, and I still have to withdraw from UCLA, though that's a painful decision too but I think I'm making the right choice.

I can't wait! Hey, can anyone give me some input as to how 2nd year goes in terms of stress? (main concern I guess)

Thank you!

lol, you should just check out my website: pinnereightyone.blogspot.com (and it's in my signature, altho sometimes it doesn't post the signature?)

second year was mostly more easy for me because of fewer adjustments, and the exams were once every two weeks, instead of blocks of 6 or so all at once. other people found it more challenging because it required a constant level of studying. however, i've always studied like that, even at just a low level, so it worked out better for me.

welcome to columbia!

ok, back to studying for the boards. sorry guys- if it seems like i'm haunting your site, it's because i like reading what you say more than i like studying biochem :p

AudioslaveFan said:
So I still have not received any housing info. I'm not too worried because I plan to live off campus, but was wondering if you guys had received anything else in the mail. I am hoping that the housing packet just got lost in the mail rather than me not being on the mailing list.

Did you send in the initial bizzare set of address labels? I forget if we got those with the admission packet, or if that came later.

Pinner Doc said:
sometimes it doesn't post the signature?

Pinner,

Your signature is posted once a page. If you've already posted on that page, the site chops it off to save space. So if anyone wants to check out your blog, they just scroll up to your first post on this page and there it is.

We like having you lurk on the 2010 site :p

Hey 2010! Congrats to all of you :)

I'm a first-year at P&S (class of '09) and I have a bedroom opening up in my 3-bedroom apt. in the Towers. The apt. has a living room, kitchen, and two bathrooms, and it's up on the 17th floor so the view is pretty nice. If anyone is interested in living with me and one of my classmates please email me here

Leon

Woohoo! I just got in off the waitlist, and had to post! Hello fellow classmates, can't wait to meet y'all! Columbia rocks!

Welcome aboard Wolfgang!

questions about housing: we send 6 mailing labels to the Housing office. one comes back with the application and our options. then we mail that and how long before the next step? How far along are you guys? Anyone trying to get the tiny $300 closet .. er.. room?