Official Columbia P&S 2010 Accepted Students Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AudioslaveFan said:
Does anyone know if first years get a computer? I ask because I am thinking of buying a new one, but it would be stupid if I were getting one from Columbia.

Not that I'm aware of. You might get some DEALS on a computer, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm a current 1st-year @ P&S, and I must say, it's awesome.

Here are two sites that can hopefully answer some of the computer questions you have about next year. This first one is the general computing site for columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/

This following site has links to computer stores (Apple, Dell, etc) that have special educational deals with Columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/acsc/sales/

There's one more site that lists a bunch of expensive software (MS Office, some Antivirus stuff, etc) that you'll get for free as a columbia student, but I can't find it just yet. I'll post it when I find it, but you'll only be able to download the programs when you get your UNI later on (over the summer). So, just as a heads-up, don't spend the extra $$$ on MS office, etc, if you're buying a new computer for school.

More 1st-years will probably pop up on SDN after spring break ends, so if you have questions about anything at all, we'll do our best to help.

Congratulations!!! And welcome to P&S.

here's the site I couldn't find before...

http://www.cubhis.org/IC/support_center/resnet.html

under microsoft you'll find
for pc: microsoft office xp, microsoft office 2003
for mac: microsoft office 2004, microsoft office v. X

plus, under norton, you'll find a bunch of norton/symantec antivirus stuff

once you get your UNI you'll be all set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, P&S class of 2010. I'm thrilled to be coming! See you at second look.

Oh, does anyone have any suggestions if I was looking for some Columbia funding for research over the summer?

Karl Hungus said:
Hi guys,

I'm a current 1st-year @ P&S, and I must say, it's awesome.

Here are two sites that can hopefully answer some of the computer questions you have about next year. This first one is the general computing site for columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/

This following site has links to computer stores (Apple, Dell, etc) that have special educational deals with Columbia...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/acsc/sales/

There's one more site that lists a bunch of expensive software (MS Office, some Antivirus stuff, etc) that you'll get for free as a columbia student, but I can't find it just yet. I'll post it when I find it, but you'll only be able to download the programs when you get your UNI later on (over the summer). So, just as a heads-up, don't spend the extra $$$ on MS office, etc, if you're buying a new computer for school.

More 1st-years will probably pop up on SDN after spring break ends, so if you have questions about anything at all, we'll do our best to help.

Congratulations!!! And welcome to P&S.

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

can i ask what you guys are wearing to revisit weekend? they told me casual on the phone, but i'm afraid of being the only person to show up in jeans.

badlydrawnvik said:
can i ask what you guys are wearing to revisit weekend? they told me casual on the phone, but i'm afraid of being the only person to show up in jeans.

I asked my student host when she called and she says that she doesn't recall anyone last year being dressed up. It's definitely casual and most people were in jeans. I had been planning business casual so I'm glad I spoke to her...

So don't worry, it'll be at least 2 of us in jeans. :)

Make that 3 in jeans.

Has anyone heard back from the financial aid office? Columbia, please give me money. Lots of money. :p

alright that makes me excited that i get to wear jeans. see you guys soon.

badlydrawnvik said:
alright that makes me excited that i get to wear jeans.

It's good to see that someone appreciates the simply pleasures of life. :)

has anyone heard back about a student host? i probably need to make sure that they know i am signed up.thanks for asking about the attire, i will definitely be in jeans as well.

Yea, I received an email from the admissions office with a student's name. I'd call to make sure they know to assign you a host.

ivy91 said:
Yea, I received an email from the admissions office with a student's name. I'd call to make sure they know to assign you a host.

I'm so upset I can't go to revsit!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah my host also emailed me directly.

Our class thread just died, so I'm putting us back up top where we belong, woohoo! ;) Yikes, if i'm this cheery when we meet, I give you permission to tie me up and throw things at me.

P.S. Have a fabulous Fri nite ;)

did you guys get the revisit program today in email? the second day makes me think i should dress nicer for the tours of the hospital and meetings with deans. what do you think? i'll probably end up packing all kind of clothes because i'm always afraid of over- or underdressing.

Ellen Perez said:
Attire for Revisit is casual, although you may want to bring some dockers, just in case. Nothing will be dressy or black tie!

I asked a few questions by email, and asked about attire as well.

d

So...it's snowing in nyc right now :) To the out of towners, welcome to the erratic weather that is the northeast. But no worries, it'll be warm in time for our BBQ tomorrow. See you all soon!

Hey all, ran into some admissions secretaries today, who informed me that this year's revisit turnout is 50% larger than last year's!

I expect you ALL to matriculate ;)

Pinner Doc said:
Hey all, ran into some admissions secretaries today, who informed me that this year's revisit turnout is 50% larger than last year's!

I expect you ALL to matriculate ;)
how many people does that make going?

badlydrawnvik said:
how many people does that make going?

150ish... exactly the size a typical class here!

ivy91 said:
Has anyone heard back from the financial aid office? Columbia, please give me money. Lots of money. :p

You can get a pretty good estimate of your financial aid package for most need-based-only schools...

Calculate your EFC (Estimated Family Contribution for both student & parent) at http://www.finaid.org/calculators.

Yearly budget (insert Columbia's) - EFC(student {min. $1200 or so} & parent) - unit loan (Columbia's is $24,750 right now) = Need-based Scholarships (up to $27K or so)

This is just an approximation, but should be accurate within a couple grand.

The unit loan varies by school (i.e. Sinai = $29K, Cornell = $21.2K, Yale = $19K, Stanford = $10.5K -- lower is better unless you don't require aid).

pinner, the view from the towers makes me want to live there so bad.

How was second look, I didn't go...

I think I saw that you withdrew on another thread. Booo! ;)

Anyway, let the gushing begin:

Second look was tons of fun. Some highlights...I met *amazing* classmates (badlydrawnvik is one!), and I can't wait to be with them next year. The first years showed us a really good time on Thursday night at the Coffee House and then at a bar. They had just gotten back from Spring Break and were celebrating the completion of a really diffcult exam block from the week before. Also met tons of second year students, and a fair number of third and fourth years. They have so much P&S pride, I love it. The academic setting seems like the perfect fit for me - clinically oriented everything and seemingly approachable faculty. I saw my interviewer again at a luncheon and he gave me a huge hug. That was really sweet. And the tour of the NICU was really cool - happy, old pediatricians with colorful bowties are the best. Bard Hall is gonna be rough, but if it means a one way ticket to the Towers, I'm all over it.

The one downer: Financial aid gave me the fat shaft, sigh.

Orientation is going to be a blast!

ivy91 said:
I think I saw that you withdrew on another thread. Booo! ;)

Anyway, let the gushing begin:

Second look was tons of fun. Some highlights...I met *amazing* classmates (badlydrawnvik is one!), and I can't wait to be with them next year. The first years showed us a really good time on Thursday night at the Coffee House and then at a bar. They had just gotten back from Spring Break and were celebrating the completion of a really diffcult exam block from the week before. Also met tons of second year students, and a fair number of third and fourth years. They have so much P&S pride, I love it. The academic setting seems like the perfect fit for me - clinically oriented everything and seemingly approachable faculty. I saw my interviewer again at a luncheon and he gave me a huge hug. That was really sweet. And the tour of the NICU was really cool - happy, old pediatricians with colorful bowties are the best. Bard Hall is gonna be rough, but if it means a one way ticket to the Towers, I'm all over it.

The one downer: Financial aid gave me the fat shaft, sigh.

Orientation is going to be a blast!

Wow, your memory is good, I did withdraw but still I was hoping to hear about the weekend so I could live vicariously through those that went. Thats cool that you had such a great time. I think one of my only gripes when I went was staying in Bard Hall. I think it would be hard to get some peace in the bathroom or shower when the opposite sex is in the stall next to you. However, the Towers from what I remember were sick, and they are only a year away.

ivy91 said:
happy, old pediatricians with colorful bowties are the best.

all pediatricians should be like that guy, it should be a requirement.

Vik, ivy, who were you? I'm pretty easy to spot from my mdapps profile, so I think you'll know if you met me.

Anywho, for everyone here, there's a pre-allo thread on splitting penn/yale second looks where folks are debating whether P&S vs Penn and Yale. I suggest you check it out and give your two cents as you see fit.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=271447

EDIT: OK, I just pissed all the Penn/Yale people off. Someone needs to quell my overzealous enthusiasm.

hey i think i do remember seeing someone with a univ. of vermont name tag but cant put the face to that nametag. i was the tall, skinny indian kid from lehigh, hard to miss.

badlydrawnvik said:
hey i think i do remember seeing someone with a univ. of vermont name tag but cant put the face to that nametag. i was the tall, skinny indian kid from lehigh, hard to miss.

Not ringing a bell, vik, but I'm sure I'll recognize you in August. There were a lot of people there. And a lot of first and second years at each event.

badlydrawnvik said:

Haha, your one chance to describe yourself and this is what you come up with? You should've been like "6 feet tall, dark hair, ridiculously good looking, built like whoa, with a striking resemblance to McDreamy on Grey's Anatomy." :laugh:

ivy91 said:
Haha, your one chance to describe yourself and this is what you come up with? You should've been like "6 feet tall, dark hair, ridiculously good looking, built like whoa, with a striking resemblance to McDreamy on Grey's Anatomy." :laugh:
ha! i'm a realist.

Congrats to all! I hope everyone who came enjoyed the re-visit weekend and got the chance to see a bit of New York.

Here are hundreds of photos from the first year - just about everyone in our class. 153 of us during an entirely pass fail year of classes. Enjoy the website and I hope to see you next year.

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~benbk/medicine/

best,
Ben B-K
P&S c/o 2009

Arrighty, with all the revisit weekend craziness, I didn't get much of a chance to study for the final that I got at 9am. I'm gonna give 'er to the best of my givin' 'er abilities, but, if this goes to s*$t and I get a C, is that gonna affect the acceptance??

Nope! Think happy thoughts, like the fact that next year, that C will be a big fat P! P/F is gonna be awesome. Can't wait.

Arright.. Did't fail 'er.... Question for BenBK, how did you get to go with that organ transplant team??

Oh so my host went on that the night I stayed with her for revisit. The way she explained it, there's this one pager that students pass around. The person who organizes the class gets first dibs. Once he/she is paged and goes on the mission, he/she hands it over to the next person who's signed up. It can go off at anytime (my host got on a 12:45 am flight with 1.5 hour prior notice), so during exam blocks and stuff, the pager is given to second years, and then handed back after. Hope that makes sense...benbk, please feel free to add!

That's friggin' awesome. That's whats great about Columbia.... so many opportunities.

Although I suggest living in Bard Hall for at least one semester just to get some good ole class bonding action, there are alternatives:

LONG-TERM SUBLET AVAILABLE
starting June 1 (for at least one year)
$550/month + utilities

bedroom available in 3-bedroom apt.
171 St. between Broadway and Ft. Washington
Elevator building
Hardwood floors
Share with 4th year MD-PhD student and NYC Teaching Fellow
Please e-mail Arun at [email protected] if interested

Very spacious 3-BR, 1-bathroom apartment

Corner of 170th Street and Fort Washington Avenue
Hardwood floors, high ceilings, large living room, eat-in kitchen
Elevator building, superintendent on premises, laundry facilities

Three graduating med students lived here happily for 4 years!

Rent $2100 plus utilities
Available July 1st (possibly mid/late June)
Contact Donna at Metropolitan Housing (212) 583-0101

I saw your letter to Rachel Farley, and I actually wanted to know if
anyone's interested in taking over an awesome, rarely available
studio apartment in Tower III. I've had it for two years now -
inherited it from a graduating fourth year. The studios almost
never become available through the housing office because people
snap them up as soon as they're vacated. I'm looking to get rid of
it because I'm rarely there these days (staying downtown with the
significant other) and it doesn't make sense to keep paying for it.

Here's the details: 27th floor, north facing, completely
unobstructed views of upper Manhattan, the GWB, and the Hudson
River Valley (really, really incredible views, day and night).
Huge 4-room "studio" (eat-in kitchen, dressing room, bathroom, and
common room) with three huge closets. Rent is $1237 per month,
power runs $50-100 depending on the season. Sublet for 2 months or
so until I can get my furniture out, then it's yours for good...
option to buy some of my furniture if you're interested, it's all
high-quality.

If you know anyone who wants to live alone and can swing the rent,
this place is absolutely perfect. I have to tell you, it's an
impressive place... when my classmates come over the first reaction
is invariably "how did you get this place?!?" I'm leaving for
Shiprock, NM this Sunday for five weeks, but if anyone wants to see
the place a friend of mine in TIII will have keys.

Let me know! Interested parties can call or e-mail me (phone #
below)

thanks
Stefan
P&S Box 359
New York, NY 10032
(917) 771-9637

What does everyone think about the Bard Hall construction? Do you think it will make living there even more of a pain?

dbhvt said:
What does everyone think about the Bard Hall construction? Do you think it will make living there even more of a pain?
what construction...

badlydrawnvik said:
what construction...

I seem to remember reading one of the handouts from 2nd look that said something about Bard Hall being under construction over the next year.

Yea, I heard that too from a bunch of first years. Any idea what part of Bard they're referring to and how long it's supposed to go on for? Drilling 24/7 or construction workers peering into my room wouldn't be very pleasant...

ivy91 said:
Yea, I heard that too from a bunch of first years. Any idea what part of Bard they're referring to and how long it's supposed to go on for? Drilling 24/7 or construction workers peering into my room wouldn't be very pleasant...

The flyer I read said it would be during restricted hours. I don't remember when exactly, but I think they said the philosophy was to do construction while most are in class or lab (ie during the day). I wish I could find that flyer...

And I think the work will be on the facade.

anyone know more... ?

Hi Everyone,

I can comment on the Bard Hall construction. I'm Robin Tang, the Class President for P&S 2009. As all buildings in New York City are, Bard is subject to periodic maintenance to check structural integrity - ie, the upcoming Bard renovation is required by law but temporary. The actual work will be the restoration of the brick facade of Bard, commencing late May, and lasting up to 18 months.

The bad news first: the work will be noisy, on different parts of the building at different times, and will mean the roof is closed. We had hoped to show you guys the roof during Revisit, but it wasn't meant to be. Work will only be stopped by winter weather.

The good news: the work is scheduled for 9am to 5pm (must be 8 hours a day), Mon - Fri, times that were decided by a poll of first-year students as the least disruptive. In addition, work only stopping for weather will mean faster progress than many other "construction" projects.

Bottom line - a pain, but unavoidable. I would not let work deter you from living in Bard, a great place to get to know your classmates. As New Yorkers will attest, it's pretty rare in NYC to avoid noise or work on the street for long, wherever you live. I would absolutely not let Bard construction deter you from attending P&S, an awesome school and one that will do wonders for your future career.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if I can answer any questions about P&S. Email's best, as I don't get to check SDN too much. It was great meeting you guys at Revisit, wish I'd gotten to know more of you.

Hope to see everyone next year. That means you Vik! I remember you!
RJT

Anyone get their housing forms yet?

just called the housing office...we get housing info in the next couple weeks, and actual assignments in june. :)

ivy91 said:
just called the housing office...we get housing info in the next couple weeks, and actual assignments in june. :)

Hmmm... looks like you can save ~$300 a month if you are willing to live in a closet. A nice big walk-in closet, but still a closet.

my housing packet is at home so i haven't seen it, but i'll probably shell out the money and try for a river view.