**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totaled up my gas and insurance expenses for the upcoming year. Crying over here, all I can hope for is that my car that is older than me won't break down :dead:
You're going to be at UCLA, right? Why will you even need a car for your first 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Totaled up my gas and insurance expenses for the upcoming year. Crying over here, all I can hope for is that my car that is older than me won't break down :dead:
You can request an unexpected car repair COA bump to cover any expenses when they do occur.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be at UCLA, right? Why will you even need a car for your first 2 years?
I wish I could ditch the car, but I'm living with my SO who is going to school elsewhere so I have to drive over.

You can request an unexpected car repair COA bump to cover any expenses when they do occur.
Oo, that's nice! So can I just cry to my school for more loan money when bad stuff happens in general?

I wish I could ditch the car, but I'm living with my SO who is going to school elsewhere so I have to drive over.
Have you taken the $$$ of parking into consideration? It is sky high in the Westwood area.

Have you taken the $$$ of parking into consideration? It is sky high in the Westwood area.
Yea, I mean we get parking permits for the year, it's part of the transportation budget. I wish we had a better public transit system, my options are currently 1 hour by car or 2 hours by bus..

Yea, I mean we get parking permits for the year, it's part of the transportation budget. I wish we had a better public transit system, my options are currently 1 hour by car or 2 hours by bus..
1 hour in your mind or 1 hour by LA standards? What area will you be driving from?

1 hour in your mind or 1 hour by LA standards? What area will you be driving from?
An hour in morning traffic. It's all good, I have a pretty good living situation, just going to be living that LA traffic life :p are you going to school around here?

An hour in morning traffic. It's all good, I have a pretty good living situation, just going to be living that LA traffic life :p are you going to school around here?
Get some goljan, or an audible subscription and thank me later.

I went to UCLA a million years ago. :rolleyes: Yep, if you're used to LA traffic, then you know what you're up against. You going to be coming from the North, South, or East? If from the north, I would highly suggest getting off at Sunset and avoid the whole Wilshire Blvd. area.

Good luck to you in med school.

I went to UCLA a million years ago. :rolleyes: Yep, if you're used to LA traffic, then you know what you're up against. You going to be coming from the North, South, or East? If from the north, I would highly suggest getting off at Sunset and avoid the whole Wilshire Blvd. area.

Good luck to you in med school.
Good to know, and thank you, fellow Bruin! :)

Yeah all my school has posted on our student portal is the total loans offered...No statement of account or anything for aid or costs or anything else. I'm just sitting on my hands here. Should probably do the stafford loan counseling crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah all my school has posted on our student portal is the total loans offered...No statement of account or anything for aid or costs or anything else. I'm just sitting on my hands here. Should probably do the stafford loan counseling crap.
Do you know which loan counseling were supposed to do? There’s like 3 counseling options

They keep on dumping vaccines in my bloodstream hoping to illicit a measurable response. Needless to say my body isnt responding.

Oh that sounds rather uncomfortable! Is there another option if the vaccines just don't work for you?

Holy crap school starts in less than a month for me and I still haven't found a house. I had three fall through on me yesterday after driving literally all over town to turn in applications. Starting to get worried
Ugh that really sucks! If worst comes to worst, you could always do Air BNB for a bit... Sounds weird, but my PI got a new job and did air bnb for the first couple of months and said it worked out since he had time to live in the city and see where he wanted to live. I'm sure you'll find something, but just in case- this is an option! I think you can sublet for monthly rates.

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh that really sucks! If worst comes to worst, you could always do Air BNB for a bit... Sounds weird, but my PI got a new job and did air bnb for the first couple of months and said it worked out since he had time to live in the city and see where he wanted to live. I'm sure you'll find something, but just in case- this is an option! I think you can sublet for monthly rates.
That's a really good idea! Hopefully I can find something in time. I'm living with two other students but they aren't coming down until right before school so I've been doing most of the looking.

Is it weird that I've never watched any medical shows until now? I just start watching Grey's Anatomy...

Watch House, the rest is trash.

Reactions: 4 users
At least I know who Dr. McDreamy is now lol...

But for what reason? I'm curious.
Oh I was just being snarky and angry because I didn't have my Snickers today. I started watching it when it aired and it very quickly got waaay too unbelievable so I had to stop.

Is anyone taking out more than the direct unsub loan limit? I wonder how much the difference in interest rates is for unsub vs PLUS loans..

Is anyone taking out more than the direct unsub loan limit? I wonder how much the difference in interest rates is for unsub vs PLUS loans..
Unsub is like 5.x% + fee and PLUS is about 6.x% + fee (higher tho).

The financial aid staff at my school told me only take what you need from the PLUS loans and request more in the future if it's not enough.

Unsub is like 5.x% + fee and PLUS is about 6.x% + fee (higher tho).

The financial aid staff at my school told me only take what you need from the PLUS loans and request more in the future if it's not enough.
Whew. I saw the maximum was 9.5% and freaked out a bit.

They keep on dumping vaccines in my bloodstream hoping to illicit a measurable response. Needless to say my body isnt responding.
I'm on round 2 of HepB now(I showed no immunity after 4 shots)...they said if I don't respond this time then I'll never build an immunity...

I'm on round 2 of HepB now(I showed no immunity after 4 shots)...they said if I don't respond this time then I'll never build an immunity...
I was under the impression that , you have built immunity it's just the normal markers of immunity are not expressed in your blood.

Hi Guys! In case you don't frequent the pre-med forum anymore (I don't, but that's where I posted about this), I thought I'd warn you about making sure you've gotten all your deposits back. Yesterday I realized that I hadn't seen one of my deposits hit my bank account yet. After scrolling through months of bank statements I was pretty sure that the school hadn't repaid me after dropping them back in March. This morning I called and asked about my deposit and they said you have to request it via email, otherwise they keep it. AND that since it's been more than 90 days since I dropped their school (LOL where the F is this 90 days coming from?!) it would take an extra long time to process my payment. Anyways, check your bank account, get all the money you can before school starts!

I was under the impression that , you have built immunity it's just the normal markers of immunity are not expressed in your blood.
I hope that's the case and that the nurse was just confused. My brain automatically went to : you're 100% gonna get Hep B as a doctor now

I hope that's the case and that the nurse was just confused. My brain automatically went to : you're 100% gonna get Hep B as a doctor now
Ah just read about it. There is vaccine failure or deceased antibody content over time with immunity still available. So you are right, it may be pack of immunity or previous infection.

For anyone that needs vaccine titers for Hep B, Varicella, and MMR, I got them done using a website called requestatest.com. I thought $134 for all of them was a good deal. However, they use Quest Diagnostics and Labcorp , so people from NY, NJ, and RI cannot use the service.

For anyone that needs vaccine titers for Hep B, Varicella, and MMR, I got them done using a website called requestatest.com. I thought $134 for all of them was a good deal. However, they use Quest Diagnostics and Labcorp , so people from NY, NJ, and RI cannot use the service.
your profile pic is so funny lol

I was positive for the PPD skin test. My immediate thought was "they're gonna kick me out l because I might have had TB" :eek:

I had the BCG vaccine when I was a baby so it was a false positive reading. It didn't come to my mind immediately so I had some follow up immunity tests to confirm it. I really thought I was gonna get kicked out for a moment :scared:

I was positive for the PPD skin test. My immediate thought was "they're gonna kick me out l because I might have had TB" :eek:

I had the BCG vaccine when I was a baby so it was a false positive reading. It didn't come to my mind immediately so I had some follow up immunity tests to confirm it. I really thought I was gonna get kicked out for a moment :scared:

Lol you won't get kicked out for TB. A lot of your attendings probably get positive PPD tests from working in the hospital for so long. Usually a clean chest x-ray after a positive ppd will take care of any problems

Sauce: part of my job for the past year and a half unfortunately was getting hospital badges for our lab's volunteers, and this issue came up once in a while

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
a suh dudes. been a while

Reactions: 4 users