**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got another NYCPM email yesterday, should I go to the open house guys?
FullSizeRender.jpg

You probably should, their campus looks super inviting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm watching the Bachelorette and one of the contestants claimed that they are a "Chiropractic Physician." What the actual dingus is a chiropractic physician?
A chiropractor that markets himself as a physician to gullible people

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm watching the Bachelorette and one of the contestants claimed that they are a "Chiropractic Physician." What the actual dingus is a chiropractic physician?
This response is going to out me as being way too obsessed with this show - but his instagram name used to have "Dr" in it too (his instagram bio still does). :barf:

One thing I noticed while shadowing as a premed was that most physicians don't support chiropractors. When a patient says "my surgeon told me this...," or "physical therapist says that I should do this..." Most docs agree with the other providers recommendations and even tell them to follow up.

However, when a patient says "my chiropractor says..." Or for back pain "would you recommend a chiropractor?" The doctor usually ignores the question or comment altogether or says something like "I actually don't know a lot about it, some people say it's helpful."

Reactions: 1 user
One thing I noticed while shadowing as a premed was that most physicians don't support chiropractors. When a patient says "my surgeon told me this...," or "physical therapist says that I should do this..." Most docs agree with the other providers recommendations and even tell them to follow up.

However, when a patient says "my chiropractor says..." Or for back pain "would you recommend a chiropractor?" The doctor usually ignores the question or comment altogether or says something like "I actually don't know a lot about it, some people say it's helpful."
Protip - because it is quackery .

Reactions: 3 users

I scribed for an orthopedic surgeon and I agree with this. When his pts requested a chiropractor, he would tell them that he doesn't believe they are beneficial, but if that if they wanted to try it out, go ahead. But for people with compression fxs or serious C-spine problems, he would absolutely advise they NOT see an chiropractor.

noticed this too haha. and LOL to you watching bachelorette, i watch it too...guilty!

So moved to new city, met this girl the other day, she asked me why I moved here, said for medical school.

Her response: "omg, that's so cool, I was thinking of applying to medical school this year!"
Me: "oh really? Did you decide to take a year off instead or something?"
Her: " well yeah I have a lot to do still"
Me: "oh like more prereqs? MCAT? ECs?"
Her: "Everything. I haven't done any of it yet. I only took one bio class in college. But I want to be a dermatologist. Maybe next year."
Me: "oh wow. Give yourself time..."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 20 users
So moved to new city, met this girl the other day, she asked me why I moved here, said for medical school.

Her response: "omg, that's so cool, I was thinking of applying to medical school this year!"
Me: "oh really? Did you decide to take a year off instead or something?"
Her: " well yeah I have a lot to do still"
Me: "oh like more prereqs? MCAT? ECs?"
Her: "Everything. I haven't done any of it yet. I only took one bio class in college. But I want to be a dermatologist. Maybe next year."
Me: "oh wow. Give yourself time..."

Lololol that was great. Post that stuff to the "less informed" thread

Alright guys, I've got a relatively new Jetta that could last me a long time, but I could reduce my monthly car/insurance payments by selling this car and buying a beater.

What would you do? Live on a more austere budget and have a car with longevity, or take some financial breathing room for a car that will be trashed after med school?

Lmao, I'm pretty hard core into all of the bachelor shows (BIP is actually a fave now) and follow a lot of them on Instagram too. :laugh: I think my current favorite is Peter.
Oh don't even get me started on Peter. That is a beautiful man

Alright guys, I've got a relatively new Jetta that could last me a long time, but I could reduce my monthly car/insurance payments by selling this car and buying a beater.

What would you do? Live on a more austere budget and have a car with longevity, or take some financial breathing room for a car that will be trashed after med school?

do you have any dependents ? If its just you? the school loans are usually enough if you are living with roommates and not eating out every night. If your car plus insurance is 400+ I would get rid of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have any dependents ? If its just you? the school loans are usually enough if you are living with roommates and not eating out every night. If your car plus insurance is 400+ I would get rid of it.

No dependents, and it's just me in a little med student dorm. Car payment plus insurance is pushing $500 per month though

No dependents, and it's just me in a little med student dorm. Car payment plus insurance is pushing $500 per month though

Will you need the car for rotations? If not, get rid of it and but a new one when residency rolls around in 4 . I personally just paid off my car so I can drop down the insurance, but I have got a family. I also ended up buying a house, since it is cheaper than renting in my situation.

@Dr.Kat @Whyamionhere @sleepyhead22 Yooo diggin the Bachelorette love!! Not gonna lie, I don't like any of these guys. None of them are interesting or cool or funny or memorable... Rachel is too good for any of them!! And BIP is also my personal favorite the next season is gonna be sooo good.

@Dr.Kat @Whyamionhere @sleepyhead22 Yooo diggin the Bachelorette love!! Not gonna lie, I don't like any of these guys. None of them are interesting or cool or funny or memorable... Rachel is too good for any of them!! And BIP is also my personal favorite the next season is gonna be sooo good.
yeah! it's going well so far, rachel is smart, which I like! love how she told demario to go fly a kite. i like sommmmme of the guys, but a lot of their occupations are questionable: "tickle monster"...?:confused:

yeah! it's going well so far, rachel is smart, which I like! love how she told demario to go fly a kite. i like sommmmme of the guys, but a lot of their occupations are questionable: "tickle monster"...?:confused:
Sure I mean I don't hate the guys. I just haven't seen a guy that makes me go "THAT GUY IS THE ONE. IMMA ROOT HARD FOR THIS GUY." They're just all meh, or memorable because of negative things. I guess the gap tooth guy seems nice, but just too boring for reality TV. And yes, you know the guy has nothing going for him if he has to resort to tickle monster as being his shtick.

i admit i'm currently drunk

1491144598-20170402.png
I had some... problems with my vehicle and it ended up wasting about 13 hours of my day and using up one of my precious PTO days. Ended up having to buy an actual car today. You better believe I'm raiding my cabinet.:highfive:

So I interviewed at a school. Interview went so horribly that when I didn't hear back I figured I was rejected so I moved on. Turns out I was waitlisted and it went to my spam folder. Got off said waitlist, and acceptance email again went into the spam folder. Found both emails recently, and lets just say it is now too late. I can't even begin to put the rollercoaster of emotions into words. Maybe I can do my residency there someday :shrug:

Hope everyone is doing well. School starts soon:scared:

Reactions: 3 users
So I interviewed at a school. Interview went so horribly that when I didn't hear back I figured I was rejected so I moved on. Turns out I was waitlisted and it went to my spam folder. Got off said waitlist, and acceptance email again went into the spam folder. Found both emails recently, and lets just say it is now too late. I can't even begin to put the rollercoaster of emotions into words. Maybe I can do my residency there someday :shrug:

Hope everyone is doing well. School starts soon:scared:
Would you have attended the school over your current choice ?

I don't know anymore because I have settled into my current choice in many ways, but the option would have been rather fantastic.
Was it higher ranked compared to your current plans?

I did. They suggested a middle ground, which was very generous but didn't quite work for me.

Yes. Idk man, just sucked but I'm kinda over it now. Everything happens for a reason, right?
Seems like one of those things that happen for a reason.

I did. They suggested a middle ground, which was very generous but didn't quite work for me.

Yes. Idk man, just sucked but I'm kinda over it now. Everything happens for a reason, right?
I'm sure you'll do fantastic at your current school. I read somewhere on SDN before that no matter what process you take you'll eventually end up at the right place in the future.

3-1 lead is back guys!

Will history repeat itself?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Any quick tips for us without major snow experience for driving?

I'm a CA baby going to school in NY and will need a car.

Any quick tips for us without major snow experience for driving?

I'm a CA baby going to school in NY and will need a car.
drive slow, breaking distance increases dramatically, implement the mindset that everyone on the road is an idiot and is trying to actively kill you. Dont accelerate quickly or break quickly(unless absolutely necessary), be super careful around bridges since they can hide some nasty ice. and think of momentum and inertia of your car, especially if your care is slipping it has a tendency to keep on going in the direction it was going before.

If you are going to the city, do not buy a car, if you are going to upstate try to drive as little as possible.

Reactions: 7 users
drive slow, breaking distance increases dramatically, implement the mindset that everyone on the road is an idiot and is trying to actively kill you. Dont accelerate quickly or break quickly(unless absolutely necessary), be super careful around bridges since they can hide some nasty ice. and think of momentum and inertia of your car, especially if your care is slipping it has a tendency to keep on going in the direction it was going before.

If you are going to the city, do not buy a car, if you are going to upstate try to drive as little as possible.

School is in Long Island, but thanks for the tips!

When I drove around the area, people did drive much slower and cautiously than CA people IMO. I better get used to driving like that. A lot of my friends in CA (myself included) would be probably be considered very aggressive drivers in NY.

When I drove around the area, people did drive much slower and cautiously than CA people IMO. I better get used to driving like that. A lot of my friends in CA (myself included) would be probably be considered very aggressive drivers in NY.
lol i agree

I have driven in a lot of places including California. Drivers in NY/NJ tend to be the most aggressive. This becomes apparent when you visit you will see a disproportionate number of cars have some sort of collision damage/dent on it.

I have driven in a lot of places including California. Drivers in NY/NJ tend to be the most aggressive. This becomes apparent when you visit you will see a disproportionate number of cars have some sort of collision damage/dent on it.

Sounds like you haven't driven in Miami yet...

Sounds like you haven't driven in Miami yet...

I have, there is nothing remotely offensive about Miami drivers, the only annoying thing is the sunshine toll or what ever. I was always terrified that I was going to get a ticket( you folks apparently just pay via your plates)

Interesting. I normally go 80mph while on the highway in CA (oops). I was surprised to see pretty much nobody going over 65-70mph while driving on Long Island, despite space on the road. Also, people let me merge very easily. For reference, I'm from the Bay Area, so I'm used to driving in extremely crowded suburbs and in large cities like SF.

Interesting. I normally go 80mph while on the highway in CA (oops). I was surprised to see pretty much nobody going over 65-70mph while driving on Long Island, despite space on the road. Also, people let me merge very easily. For reference, I'm from the Bay Area, so I'm used to driving in extremely crowded suburbs and in large cities like SF.
Long island is kinda rural compared to the city. You also might want to look into traffic laws since speeding can be a misdemeanor or have enhanced fines in some of those locales.

I too have driven all over including Miami. NJ/NY drivers take the cake for how willing they are to die it seems

Though Miami was also interesting with the oldies barely pushing 40 on the highway and idiotic youngsters passing on every single side of the freeway seemingly at random

Also agree. NY drivers are the worst (but also my kind of people, if I'm being honest). As a DC driver I felt right at home in the city, pleaded even that people wanted to get from point A to point B without the Lilly gagging. In the Bay now and super annoyed. Yes you can get to higher speed because flow of traffic but people are still much more cautious drivers as far as switching lanes. Etc.
I feel out of place haha

Long Island is like a different country than the rest of NYC. Which is also reflected in the different driving patterns

Getting to check out my school since my wife is being flown up for work interviews. I'll actually get to see the place before we move, haha

I drive all over LA and am pretty used to busy city driving, but I actually feared for my life driving in NYC. No one would let me merge or change lanes, people would legit try to run me off the road. :confused:
I think CA people are just more chill overall.

Reactions: 4 users
I drive all over LA and am pretty used to busy city driving, but I actually feared for my life driving in NYC. No one would let me merge or change lanes, people would legit try to run me off the road. :confused:
I think CA people are just more chill overall.

Lol guilty of all this...my dad taught me how to drive by having me drive his Suburban during rush hour on the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)..notorious for its traffic and chaos
Driving anywhere outside of NYC is like strolling on the beach