**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya that can definitely vary by school. Mine just required the dates. Which is what I was assuming the other poster was referring to. I didn't have insurance either, this whole move is costing a fortune.

Ok good, I'm glad someone else's school had the same policy! They told me I just needed the dates of the three immunizations, with no titer.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the last day of my job today. It is still a little surreal.

Reactions: 10 users
Sadly, my school required the vaccine series PLUS a quantitative titer. Annoying since I lost my insurance coverage when I graduated in May and tried to foresee these kinds of things (but didn't expect this). Luckily I called the school and since I'll be on their plan in August and can get it done then, they were okay with it. But in my experience, proof of the vaccine series wasn't enough. :(

yeah, apparently this is very school specific. I was going to one school where my vaxx records were enough, then I got off a wait list at another school that requires titers. Apparently I'm not actually immune to chicken pox, despite having the vaccine :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a dream that I forgot to schedule my scribes for the physicians. All of the physicians called me, including the one who wrote me a LOR and told me that he would take the letter back lmao! My last day was Tuesday and I'm on vacation lol

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Last Friday was my last day of work.

But back here because I couldn't finish cleaning out my desk... I did not know I was this disorganized .... hahaha

Also ... I'm returning my Macbook guys .... Going with the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro likely, although considering the HP Spectre. Lenovo Yoga 720, and Thinkpad X1 Yoga ... Any opinions?

But back here because I couldn't finish cleaning out my desk... I did not know I was this disorganized .... hahaha

Also ... I'm returning my Macbook guys .... Going with the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro likely, although considering the HP Spectre. Lenovo Yoga 720, and Thinkpad X1 Yoga ... Any opinions?

Of those options, Thinkpad would be my pick. HP is pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Of those options, Thinkpad would be my pick. HP is pretty bad.

In general I would agree, but the Spectre is an excellent computer. I love mine. I've also owned a few thinkpads and they're not what they used to be IMO

I recently got the HP Spectre 15.6 inch for med school. The screen and battery is awesome. But for some reason playing youtube can get laggy if I have more than 30 tabs open. I also have trouble getting the computer to recognize my iphone. Other than that it's a perfect computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Man its like a ghost town in here haha. How's everyone's orientation/last weeks of summer going

I decided to finally play Skyrim (I know, where was I the last 5 years). I think I have to accept I'm not going to finish it before school begins.

Two weeks of summer left before orientation. I'm not freaking out, you're freaking out.

Okay, I'm freaking out.

I decided to finally play Skyrim (I know, where was I the last 5 years). I think I have to accept I'm not going to finish it before school begins.

Two weeks of summer left before orientation. I'm not freaking out, you're freaking out.

Okay, I'm freaking out.
I started skyrim this summer and Stine haven't finished it lol. Good luck with orientation! Tomorrow's the last day of my first week

Members don't see this ad :)
2.5 weeks until orientation- spending it getting to know my new city and binge watching GOT, and med school starts so soon. Life is good.

Reactions: 1 users
I started skyrim this summer and Stine haven't finished it lol. Good luck with orientation! Tomorrow's the last day of my first week
Have you been in any of the pics in the local paper or news? I keep seeing your classmates...just wondering if I have seen you. ;)

Chester Bennington from Linkin Park died today. I was really sad because his songs got me through the MCAT and a lot of other difficult stuff in life. RIP. :(

Reactions: 6 users
Have you been in any of the pics in the local paper or news? I keep seeing your classmates...just wondering if I have seen you. ;)
Haha I have! I'm sure you've seen me our class is pretty small

Chester Bennington from Linkin Park died today. I was really sad because his songs got me through the MCAT and a lot of other difficult stuff in life. RIP. :(
I know, I just found out a few hours ago :( I feel like Linkin Park was the rock band so many of us grew up with, I remember them hitting their peak during my angsty teenage years

Okay, I'm freaking out.
Just play for like 100 hours straight and you're good, fus roh dah my bruh

Reactions: 2 users
I know, I just found out a few hours ago :( I feel like Linkin Park was the rock band so many of us grew up with, I remember them hitting their peak during my angsty teenage years
Exactly how I feel. Even though I'm not their biggest fan but seeing Chester leave us leaves a hole in my heart :(

Am i the only one who hasn't moved yet? Orientation starts Aug 1 for me and I'm moving July 29. Feeling like I'm cutting it really close but wanted to work as long as possible $$.

Reactions: 5 users
Am i the only one who hasn't moved yet? Orientation starts Aug 1 for me and I'm moving July 29. Feeling like I'm cutting it really close but wanted to work as long as possible $$.
Orientation starts August 7th for me! Working until the 26th but I've checked out a long time ago.

I think it just really depends on your situation. If you're living on campus or moving into a place that's already furnished/utilities are set up/don't have a lot of stuff that needs to be shipped, it shouldn't be an issue. I moved in this past Tuesday and my orientation is August 2. But between finding furniture, buying all the other house stuff I need, setting up the internet/gas/utilities and receiving the 17 boxes I got shipped cross country, I'm sooo glad I moved this early!

I think it just really depends on your situation. If you're living on campus or moving into a place that's already furnished/utilities are set up/don't have a lot of stuff that needs to be shipped, it shouldn't be an issue. I moved in this past Tuesday and my orientation is August 2. But between finding furniture, buying all the other house stuff I need, setting up the internet/gas/utilities and receiving the 17 boxes I got shipped cross country, I'm sooo glad I moved this early!
I did the same thing, I'm super thankful I did-- now I get to chill and explore my home for the next 4 years, before school starts and all :cat: Also learned never to underestimate how exhausting it is to pack/unpack and furnish a new place....x__x'

I start Aug 29th!! I'll be working as long as possible to make those dollars. It still seems so far away

I don't move until the 3rd and orientation begins the 7th.

I move in on aug 8th and start orientation on the 10th

Near Lake Erie currently. On the long drive up. This moving truck is a beast, haha

Reactions: 3 users
I moved about 2 months before orientation. I am so glad I did. Putting my apartment together took some serious time, and once that was complete I had time to explore my new city!

I'm doing the exact same thing...orientation begins the 31st, moving in on the 29th/30th, and my last day of work is the 27th lolol

I'm doing the exact same thing...orientation begins the 31st, moving in on the 29th/30th, and my last day of work is the 27th lolol

Lmao that sucks. I only move in two days before orientation, but I've been cruising out of work for like two months lol.

Lmao that sucks. I only move in two days before orientation, but I've been cruising out of work for like two months lol.

Yeah I really couldn't justify not working the past 2 months when the extra $4,000 could pay for my first semesters rent + utilities...

One week until school starts....

So surreal .............. My calendar is filled trying to meet up with people before I leave too. lol

Reactions: 6 users
For those who started.....how bad is it?

my school starts with anatomy and I’m genuinely scared. I know I’ll pass but don’t know if I’ll end up spending 12_14 hours a day to keep my head above Water lol

Yeah I really couldn't justify not working the past 2 months when the extra $4,000 could pay for my first semesters rent + utilities...
Yeah my last day was almost 2 months ago and I'm glad I'm taking a super long break, but after looking at my bank account today, I kinda wished I worked another couple of weeks... moving is EXPENSIVE YO :oops:

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah my last day was almost 2 months ago and I'm glad I'm taking a super long break, but after looking at my bank account today, I kinda wished I worked another couple of weeks... moving is EXPENSIVE YO :oops:
I'm only moving 80 miles from home, to a cheaper area, and I'm still like :eek:

I'm only moving 80 miles from home, to a cheaper area, and I'm still like :eek:
I pretend like it's actually a mistake every time I click on my credit card app like :wtf:... I moved to the east coast with my family of 4 :hungover: (~3000 mile move)

Ugh I feel you. Waiting for that sweet financial aid refund in the next few days to pay off my rent and laptop bill :oops:

Reactions: 7 users
Near Lake Erie currently. On the long drive up. This moving truck is a beast, haha

Currently unloading said truck in the rain. At least it's 35 degrees cooler than back home.
All these boxes are making me reconsider this whole "medicine" thing, though.

For those who started.....how bad is it?

my school starts with anatomy and I’m genuinely scared. I know I’ll pass but don’t know if I’ll end up spending 12_14 hours a day to keep my head above Water lol
get into a good routine now. start making weeks worth of food on sunday nights and factor in a time to go to the gym so you're already in the habit. having a hard time adjusting to this now.

get into a good routine now. start making weeks worth of food on sunday nights and factor in a time to go to the gym so you're already in the habit. having a hard time adjusting to this now.
Yup work ends this Friday and I get 1 week (2 week including orientation) to build every good habit in the book to make life easier down the road

So what's everybody doing for buying the small medical equipment that's required for school? I just got an email from my school saying I need to purchase an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, sphygmomanometer, BP Cuff, reflex hammer, tuning fork, etc. (They will generously supply me a stethoscope, though...). I've been looking up the prices for these things and they add up fast

So what's everybody doing for buying the small medical equipment that's required for school? I just got an email from my school saying I need to purchase an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, sphygmomanometer, BP Cuff, reflex hammer, tuning fork, etc. (They will generously supply me a stethoscope, though...). I've been looking up the prices for these things and they add up fast

Were you specifically instructed to buy equipment before school begins? I know some schools have an event during the first semester when students can buy equipment at discounted prices. You should also ask older students at your school if it's actually necessary to buy all that stuff.

Oto/ophthalmoscopes can be expensive, but I have seen recommendations for this one to avoid breaking the bank. Those should be available in exam rooms anyway, so students at some schools don't even buy them.

And FWIW, a buddy of mine is a neurology resident and recommends either the Tromner or Babinski reflex hammers over the tomahawk.

Also, I know just about as much nothing as the rest of us in this thread, so take this all with a grain of salt ;)

Were you specifically instructed to buy equipment before school begins? I know some schools have an event during the first semester when students can buy equipment at discounted prices. You should also ask older students at your school if it's actually necessary to buy all that stuff.

Oto/ophthalmoscopes can be expensive, but I have seen recommendations for this one to avoid breaking the bank. Those should be available in exam rooms anyway, so students at some schools don't even buy them.

And FWIW, a buddy of mine is a neurology resident and recommends either the Tromner or Babinski reflex hammers over the tomahawk.

Also, I know just about as much nothing as the rest of us in this thread, so take this all with a grain of salt ;)

The email just said that we needed those pieces of equipment during our first semester. We don't start for another two weeks, though, and it made no mention of any sort of school-sponsored event that we could buy them at, so I'm assuming they just want us to buy them ourselves somewhere before school starts.

I'll ask some of the current medical students and see what they have to say. Thank you for the other recommendations, btw. I actually know nothing so any sort of info helps.

I've been talking to some friends and nobody seems to have started classes yet, meanwhile I'm almost done with my first 2 weeks of lecture and had my first exam this morning. Anybody know why are there such large differences in when 1st years start?

I've been talking to some friends and nobody seems to have started classes yet, meanwhile I'm almost done with my first 2 weeks of lecture and had my first exam this morning. Anybody know why are there such large differences in when 1st years start?
To keep the resistance unorganized.

Reactions: 10 users