**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any of you guys watch Dexter? I just finished season 1, and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Last day at work was last Friday. I haven't been unemployed since high school.
Long story short, so much House of Cards. Soooo good

Reactions: 7 users
3 more weeks of work left. Anyone else out there care to share a moment of solidarity

Members don't see this ad :)
3 more weeks of work left. Anyone else out there care to share a moment of solidarity
Exact same here. I've been seriously slacking at work for the last month or so (I'm not hourly and don't have to clock in), and now it will feel very anticlimactic leaving lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Exact same here. I've been seriously slacking at work for the last month or so (I'm not hourly and don't have to clock in), and now it will feel very anticlimactic leaving lol.
lol I’m also not hourly.

Cept on the days that I go in at noon I end up having to stay until 9pm bc the workload doesn’t change much daily.

I have two golden weeks btw the end and orientation

orientation starts this Monday for me! been out of work for a while. Lots of Grey's and working out:rolleyes:

Reactions: 10 users
Last day at work was last Friday. I haven't been unemployed since high school.
Long story short, so much House of Cards. Soooo good

My final day of work was last Friday as well! I went straight from working to moving to the opposite coast...by car....we're finally going to be arriving tomorrow. x___x

I'm quitting my job this Friday! XD
I also just noticed it's been 5 years since I've joined SDN. It's unbelievable that I will be starting med school in a month while 5 years ago I wasn't even sure what the MCAT was (searched MCAT and SDN ended up in the results somewhere). :whistle:

I wonder what everyone else was doing 5 years ago. Looking forward to where I'll stand after another 5 years. :biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
My final day of work was last Friday as well! I went straight from working to moving to the opposite coast...by car....we're finally going to be arriving tomorrow. x___x
That's quite the drive! 0.0 I didn't even consider applying to the opposite coast at all. I hope you enjoyed part of your road trip at least!

That's quite the drive! 0.0 I didn't even consider applying to the opposite coast at all. I hope you enjoyed some of your road trip at least!
Thank you-- it's been beautiful! I was born/raised in the Northeast and have hermited here for my adult life thus far, so it's been really cool to see so much of the US over the last week :) Such an adventure!

I also just noticed it's been 5 years since I've joined SDN. It's unbelievable that I will be starting med school in a month while 5 years ago I wasn't even sure what the MCAT was (searched MCAT and SDN ended up in the results somewhere). :whistle:

I wonder what everyone else was doing 5 years ago. Looking forward to where I'll stand after another 5 years. :biglove:
lol 5 years ago, I was working in a lab during the summer before my junior year....and got all of my wisdom teeth taken out under local...much happier now haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your family moving with you? I'm also going across the country.

Officially moved. I also noticed my school has added our courses for the semester to our portal so it is beginning to feel real.

Can't believe we are finally at this point. It's funny how better prepared I feel about medical school now than about this time last year. All the best guys, this is it :)

Reactions: 9 users
I've been studying biochemistry and this required HMX Immunology course the school paid like $800 per student for while still working my job...
My last day of work is the 25th and I start class on the 31st so I'm super excited!

I have been doing renovations on our new house for the past 4 weekends. Still not ready, didn't realize how time consuming removing wallpaper and popcorn ceiling is. During my orientation I will be coming back at nights and continuing to work on it. Still feels surreal.

Flew out to the west coast and found a new apartment and a car a couple of weeks ago! Now, back in the east coast trying to box up all my stuff and the costs are piling up yo :oops: Plus, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to donate furniture! A month in advance is apparently not soon enough to schedule furniture donation pick ups o_O Here's to hoping craigslist selling will work out...

Flew out to the west coast and found a new apartment and a car a couple of weeks ago! Now, back in the east coast trying to box up all my stuff and the costs are piling up yo :oops: Plus, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to donate furniture! A month in advance is apparently not soon enough to schedule furniture donation pick ups o_O Here's to hoping craigslist selling will work out...
Priced to sell on Craigslist (and your apartment elevator if you have one) works wonders. I didn't make much money but got rid of a couch, 8 year old heavy TV, boxspring/frame, etc in less than 5 days. I'd have paid to get rid of it, honesty.

Try the American Kidney Fund for furniture donation. They're pretty quick about pick ups.

So ... shelled out $3k for a Macbook ........... Don't know if I'm excited or sad about my purchase .... lol

Would somebody convince me differently to return and buy something else?
  • Intel Core i5, i7, or higher family of processors OR AMD A-Series, Athlon 5000, or Athlon X4 series processors
  • 2.4 GHz (CPU); speed (Intel Core Duo)
  • 14” or higher display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher
  • 500 GB hard drive
  • 8 GB RAM
These are the hard requirements for laptops at my school. And only if it meets requirements will the price be added onto the COA and allowed for finaid. Anything else (like tablets, etc) isn't allowed.....

My original plan was to just get a Surface Pro, but that's out of the picture now. Unless ... do I just get a burner laptop and get a tablet? Since I won't be able to get extra finaid for it, it'll eat into my COA.

Or do I just say eff it and think "What's $3k in the aspect of $250k of debt...??" :ninja:

Reactions: 1 user
So ... shelled out $3k for a Macbook ........... Don't know if I'm excited or sad about my purchase .... lol

• Intel Core i5, i7, or higher family of processors OR AMD A-Series, Athlon 5000, or Athlon X4 series processors
  • 500 GB hard drive
  • 8 GB RAM
These are the hard requirements for laptops at my school. And only if it meets requirements will the price be added onto the COA and allowed for finaid. Anything else (like tablets, etc) isn't allowed.....

My original plan was to just get a Surface Pro, but that's out of the picture now. Unless ... do I just get a burner laptop and get a tablet? Since I won't be able to get extra finaid for it, it'll eat into my COA.

Or do I just say eff it and think "What's $3k in the aspect of $250k of debt...??" :ninja:

lol I bought a MacBook Pro too like 2 hours ago. My attitude was eff it. A tablet is unnecessary in the long run, and you could always buy an old Samsung galaxy note 10.1 or whatever if you wanted to write some notes (I used one in undergrad).

I purchased a surface pro 4 today since it was on sale. $850 for the i5, 8gb RAM, 256gb model was a pretty good deal.

• 500 GB hard drive
  • 8 GB RAM

Last edited:
lol I bought a MacBook Pro too like 2 hours ago. My attitude was eff it. A tablet is unnecessary in the long run, and you could always buy an old Samsung galaxy note 10.1 or whatever if you wanted to write some notes (I used one in undergrad).

Yup ... think I might just eff it and keep the Mcabook ... lolol

Planning on getting a MacBook air. Can anyone tell me whether I should get the 128 or 256? I don't need it for anything except for notes/studying/netflix. Should I go with the 256 if I want to keep lectures on it?

Edit: I know this question has been beat to death but...would like to have some more opinions before I drop that kind of money...

Last edited:
Thinking of wearing a bow tie at my white coat ceremony, thoughts? :thumbup:

Reactions: 6 users
Really want to pull the trigger on $1700 for the zenbook 3 deluxe :oops:

Maybe I'll feel better once my financial aid drops

Really want to pull the trigger on $1700 for the zenbook 3 deluxe :oops:

Maybe I'll feel better once my financial aid drops
There were surface pro 4 s going for 850 with the I-5 256 configs yesterday.

Planning on getting a MacBook air. Can anyone tell me whether I should get the 128 or 256? I don't need it for anything except for notes/studying/netflix. Should I go with the 256 if I want to keep lectures on it?

Edit: I know this question has been beat to death but...would like to have some more opinions before I drop that kind of money...

128 is a little small these days, but you could easily store lecture slides etc on Google Drive or iCloud and keep your laptop relatively empty. It could work fine. The MacBook Air is on its way to obsolescence though, so the 13" pro might be better. You could save money by getting the one without the touch bar.

Well, I bought a used thinkpad for 100 bucks with:
i5 (3rd Gen)
8 Gb RAM
128 SSD
10 hour battery life

and I bought a pair of sneakers for 600 bucks...

So, I definitely have my priorities in order.

lol I'm moving halfway across the country on Sunday and I have barely anything packed

Everything is fine, right??

Reactions: 3 users
lol I'm moving halfway across the country on Sunday and I have barely anything packed

leslie-knope-textme.gif

I think 128 is fine, especially if you stay organized and don't store a bunch of junk on your computer that you don't need (backup photos, videos, excessive PDFs, old research data). You could supplement with an inexpensive 1TB external HD.

I like the MacBook air a lot. Make sure you get lots of RAM and the newest processor if you want it to last you as long as possible.

I'm flying out across the country the day before class starts. I think I'm on the same crazy boat as you...

Vaccine related question here- did anyone's school claim that they didn't need the Hep B titer? I called and asked since it was on the AAMC form but they told me I didn't need the titer but I'm not sure I believe them haha

Vaccine related question here- did anyone's school claim that they didn't need the Hep B titer? I called and asked since it was on the AAMC form but they told me I didn't need the titer but I'm not sure I believe them haha

lol maybe you should get one anyway to make sure you won't get rekt by someone's blood

lol maybe you should get one anyway to make sure you won't get rekt by someone's blood

Can you get the titer if you had the series during childhood or do you have to repeat the series? They couldn't answer that either lol hence my skepticism

Can you get the titer if you had the series during childhood or do you have to repeat the series? They couldn't answer that either lol hence my skepticism

You can get a titer whenever you want

A titer is just a test to see if you are immune. If you have dates showing when you got the shots than you don't need the titer. If for some reason you don't trust your parents and think they forged your immunization record than you can get a titer just in case.

And if you do get a titer, hope that it shows you are immune or you'll need to recieve 1-3 of the series again, plus a booster, then get a repeat titer... like me lol

A titer is just a test to see if you are immune. If you have dates showing when you got the shots than you don't need the titer. If for some reason you don't trust your parents and think they forged your immunization record than you can get a titer just in case.
Sadly, my school required the vaccine series PLUS a quantitative titer. Annoying since I lost my insurance coverage when I graduated in May and tried to foresee these kinds of things (but didn't expect this). Luckily I called the school and since I'll be on their plan in August and can get it done then, they were okay with it. But in my experience, proof of the vaccine series wasn't enough. :(

Sadly, my school required the vaccine series PLUS a quantitative titer. Annoying since I lost my insurance coverage when I graduated in May and tried to foresee these kinds of things (but didn't expect this). Luckily I called the school and since I'll be on their plan in August and can get it done then, they were okay with it. But in my experience, proof of the vaccine series wasn't enough. :(
Ya that can definitely vary by school. Mine just required the dates. Which is what I was assuming the other poster was referring to. I didn't have insurance either, this whole move is costing a fortune.