Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey thanks alot, that would be great.

It sounds like unless the apartment is running their own special, it's best to go through one of these locators? I did Rent.com before and I got $100 from them.

Members don't see this ad.

musicman1991 said:

It sounds like unless the apartment is running their own special, it's best to go through one of these locators? I did Rent.com before and I got $100 from them.

OK so me and my gf checked out:
Lanesborough
Greenbriar
Kirby Providence
Kirby Place
Camden Vanderbilt

The first two are on the metro line, the other three are farther but have shuttles (Kirby's are 50 cents per ride and every 30 minutes, not sure about the Camden). All of them were pretty nice. We didn't like the layout of the Lanesborough apartments. It seemed as though they (1 BR) were designed by children (doors would open into each other, no wall space in LR, etc.). There is a randalls and B&N literally next to the camden (which my gf really liked), the Camden also had 2 "lakes" and another pool. The landscaping was awesome.

The kirby providence is next to the other kirby. The providence has some weird long hallways that were dark (outside apts), that we were not fond of. Also, the prices of the Place apts were considerably cheaper right now for larger apartments. With that said, the layout of the Providence apartments was very nice (good wall space for tv opposite sofa, good visibility from kitchen to LR/DR areas).

Oh yeah, the Lanesborough has an excellent rec facility. They have a half court bball court inside, a racquetball court and some weight machines/cardio. The weights were older though.

All of the places had adequate cardio + some free weights + some machines which varied in number/type/age. The cardio included at least 1 treadmill, elliptical and bike, but usually was 2+ of each per complex. They all also have at least 1 pool which varied in size and scenery.

The last apartment was the Greenbriar. That is the one that we will most likely be leasing if we stay in Houston. We loved the layout, the cost was a bit high, but not insurmountable. Also, some apartments (3rd floors) include a spiral staircase up to an adequate study loft. These apartments also include large bay windows. The complex is very close to the rail line (2-3 stops to any part of TMC) or probably about a 20-30 minute walk. Also, houston drainage is sometimes a problem, but there is a huge drain canal the size of a small river that flows near this complex.

Most of these also had a parking garage + free open parking + low cost covered parking. The parking at Greenbriar seemed very crowded.
Also, in the Kirby Place apts, they have free movie rentals of about 75 movies they get per month.

Oh yeah, at the Camden they also have a mini movie room (complete with movie seating) where you can watch films or rent it out after hours to watch.

Those are the random thoughts I have after seeing 5 complexes in about 4 hours. If you have specific questions please ask. I also noticed on some websites that they suggest you can get $200-$500 refunded if you use the locators name. Not sure if they are all kosher or not, but if anyone knows please let me know.

musicman1991 said:

The truth is that any given time, especially around April and May, a large percentage of the apartments are running specials because they're trying to fill all the vacancies that are going to happen in May and June and since right now more people are buying given the relatively low interest rates. Three years ago, the interest rates were much higher and there was a higher demand for apartments, so we paid nearly full price. Now, almost every apartment complex will run a 1-2 mo free with a 12 mo lease special sometime before the end of the summer (usually saves $100-200/mo below whatever price they are offering for the apartments, which still could be lower than the "market" price). Last spring/summer I got at least a dozen flyers from different apartment complexes in the area offering these specials.

Don't rush into signing a lease until you've tried negotiating. Sometimes apartment complexes will try to match the price if they're comparable in size and quality. You can still list the locator as your "referral" when you visit the apartment complex to get the $100, but make sure you ask to see what apartment specials are going on so you don't end up paying full price! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
bump...

Anybody doing anything cool/exciting for spring break? I'm taking it easy...I'll probably be heading up to Houston to look around some more for apartments. I'm also heading home to San Antonio w/ my g/f to visit the zoo and Sea World...neither of which I've been to since I was 10. :thumbup:

howdy all. i just joined sdn today, so i apologize ahead of time for my newbie mistakes. congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to those still waiting. as for me, i interviewed 12/3 and got the call 1/14. right now i am 90% sure i will be attending bcm next year, and it will probably increase once i visit this weekend. cheers!

Anyone checking out MidTown apartments??? I heard this was the place to live for yuppies at least?

musicman1991 said:
Anyone checking out MidTown apartments??? I heard this was the place to live for yuppies at least?

I have seen two: Ventana and the Calais at Courtlandt Square. Both seemed very nice albeit a little pricey (~$1000/month for a 1/1) in comparison to apartments south of the med center. Right now I am leaning towards the Ventana at Midtown...they seemed pretty desperate for tenants...I think I could cut a pretty good deal with them. However, the fact that they are desperate makes me a little worried. I'm hoping that their troubles are due to location (midtown isn't the safest place to live) and not because of bad management. One of the nice features of Ventana is that all of the walls of the apartment are made of concrete, greatly reducing outside and neighbor noise. Also, all of the hallways are located in the interior of the complex, adding to overall safety. Their workout room is pretty nice...I also think they hire a personal trainer to work their for 12 hours per week. :)

As for the Calais, I was also very impressed. The interior amenities are quite nice...granite countertops, Pergo wood or stained concrete floors in all apartments, track lighting, and conduction stove tops. The staff, or at least the ones I came into contact with, were not as friendly or willing as the staff at the Ventana, leading me to believe that making a deal with them will be a little harder...they seemed a little less desperate. Another drawback is that the Calais is right on Louisiana street, which I believe is a major thoroughfare connecting 59 to downtown. After living in an apartment unit that faces a major street in Austin for two years, I have come to appreciate the importance of apartment location and outside noise level. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anyone has seen other apartments in midtown, please post your experiences. I'm leaning towards leasing in midtown because these apartments tend to be a little bit newer. Also, most are conveniently located next to the rail.

ut_stephen said:
I have seen two: Ventana and the Calais at Courtlandt Square. Both seemed very nice albeit a little pricey (~$1000/month for a 1/1) in comparison to apartments south of the med center. Right now I am leaning towards the Ventana at Midtown...they seemed pretty desperate for tenants...I think I could cut a pretty good deal with them. However, the fact that they are desperate makes me a little worried. I'm hoping that their troubles are due to location (midtown isn't the safest place to live) and not because of bad management. One of the nice features of Ventana is that all of the walls of the apartment are made of concrete, greatly reducing outside and neighbor noise. Also, all of the hallways are located in the interior of the complex, adding to overall safety. Their workout room is pretty nice...I also think they hire a personal trainer to work their for 12 hours per week. :)

As for the Calais, I was also very impressed. The interior amenities are quite nice...granite countertops, Pergo wood or stained concrete floors in all apartments, track lighting, and conduction stove tops. The staff, or at least the ones I came into contact with, were not as friendly or willing as the staff at the Ventana, leading me to believe that making a deal with them will be a little harder...they seemed a little less desperate. Another drawback is that the Calais is right on Louisiana street, which I believe is a major thoroughfare connecting 59 to downtown. After living in an apartment unit that faces a major street in Austin for two years, I have come to appreciate the importance of apartment location and outside noise level. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anyone has seen other apartments in midtown, please post your experiences. I'm leaning towards leasing in midtown because these apartments tend to be a little bit newer. Also, most are conveniently located next to the rail.

Did you happen to notice how far both apartments were from actual stops on the rail? I'm still trying to figure out what to do myself. My gf and I are pouring over the internet though trying to find some good places in the vicinity around the med center (all directions).

jdovez said:
Did you happen to notice how far both apartments were from actual stops on the rail? I'm still trying to figure out what to do myself. My gf and I are pouring over the internet though trying to find some good places in the vicinity around the med center (all directions).

Try along Dryden ( a street), around University Blvd (and the Rice University area), & on either side of Greenbriar - there are some decent places within walking/ biking distance of TMC. I live in a 2/2 townhome that's $900/ mo and within walking distance of the Rice Village bars. :D

A lot of these places are independently owned, so you might just need to drive through.

jdovez said:

Ventana is about two blocks east of the nearest rail stop. The Calais is about three blocks west of the nearest stop.

ut_stephen said:
Ventana is about two blocks east of the nearest rail stop. The Calais is about three blocks west of the nearest stop.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but doesn't the rail diverge into a northbound and a southbound track just north of TMC and Hermann Park? If that's the case, then apartment complexes in Midtown may be close to the rail in one direction, but not in the other direction... So it might be easy to roll out of bed and over to the rail to get to school, but on the way home you might have a longer walk back (or vice versa). While this doesn't seem so bad, if you need to ride the rail late at night, then walking back to your apartment after dark in Midtown might not be the safest situation. In that case, I'd actually prefer living just south of the medical center where there are (a) lots of students/residents (not just for safety but also a support group nearby) and (b) closer rail and bus stops.

Of course, I'm still looking at apartments/condos/townhomes, and I might end up in Midtown... I really like City Plaza (for sale) and the Greenbriar or Lanesborough (for lease).

ninebillion said:
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but doesn't the rail diverge into a northbound and a southbound track just north of TMC and Hermann Park? If that's the case, then apartment complexes in Midtown may be close to the rail in one direction, but not in the other direction... So it might be easy to roll out of bed and over to the rail to get to school, but on the way home you might have a longer walk back (or vice versa). While this doesn't seem so bad, if you need to ride the rail late at night, then walking back to your apartment after dark in Midtown might not be the safest situation. In that case, I'd actually prefer living just south of the medical center where there are (a) lots of students/residents (not just for safety but also a support group nearby) and (b) closer rail and bus stops.

Of course, I'm still looking at apartments/condos/townhomes, and I might end up in Midtown... I really like City Plaza (for sale) and the Greenbriar or Lanesborough (for lease).

Yes it diverges for I believe 1-2 stops, but they are only literally 1 block apart, so it isn't too bad. (at least that's what my also fuzzy memory is telling me).

jdovez said:
Yes it diverges for I believe 1-2 stops, but they are only literally 1 block apart, so it isn't too bad. (at least that's what my also fuzzy memory is telling me).

If I remember correctly, the rail re-converges again before the apartments I had mentioned around Highway 59 (http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/Routes/700-redline.pdf). I don't think I'd be riding the rail too late at night, since I would most likely drive my car around after dark.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what month do you guys plan on actually moving?

what apartments are literally on the Rail Line. I don't want to walk 2-3 blocks in the heat with a shirt and tie and possible white coat!

latinfridley said:
So what month do you guys plan on actually moving?

First week of June...My lease in Austin is up at the end of May, so I'll most likely move directly from Austin to Houston.

musicman1991 said:
what apartments are literally on the Rail Line. I don't want to walk 2-3 blocks in the heat with a shirt and tie and possible white coat!

I can only comment on the ones in the Med Center.

the Lanesborough, Archstone Medical Center and the Greenbriar are right next to a rail stop
2111 Holly Hall (don't live here) and Scotland Yard are very close as well

How long after interviewing should we assume that it'll be a w/l or rejection. There hasn't seemed to be much talk of acceptances recently, although it was good to find out that they'll be updated everyone's status in a couple of weeks.
Still waiting for the lucky phonecall...

gomizzou said:
How long after interviewing should we assume that it'll be a w/l or rejection. There hasn't seemed to be much talk of acceptances recently, although it was good to find out that they'll be updated everyone's status in a couple of weeks.
Still waiting for the lucky phonecall...

Same here, man. Still waiting. I can wait to find out what is going on (as long as it is not a rejection!)

The Lanesborough, which seems like a nice place, is awfully expensive. Does anyone know anything about specials running?

Also, I didn't hear anything about MidTown being unsafe. I heard it was the new hip area to live in within walking distance of the bars and restauraunts?

I'm moving from kinda far so I have no idea about these things.

Looks like it's going to be April 4. Anyone thinking of going? Also, what issues about choosing Baylor are still unresolved for you? Don't think I'll be going, 'cos that's a day after spring break for me. I wonder how much they're willing to reimburse travel expenses. Anyone have an idea?

March 7, 2005

Dear Accepted Applicant:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine. We look forward to your arrival for matriculation at the end of July. In the meantime, a few of you may have unresolved concerns about attending our medical school. We have set aside Monday, April 4, 2005 from 8:00 a.m. thru 5:00 p.m. to offer special assistance to help confirm your decision.

If you wish to take advantage of this opportunity, we would like to tailor your visit to specifically address your needs. Therefore, we are asking you to tell us exactly what you wish to see or do.

We anticipate student hosts to provide lodging and we are willing to contribute toward travel expenses.

Name___________________________________________________________

Please let us know whether you will____ or will not ____ need to return on Monday, April 4, 2005.

When I return to Baylor College of Medicine, I would like to resolve the following issues:

Riverie: When I got that same thing I wasn't sure: is this a revisit event or more like an open-hours kinda thing? I definitely want to go if I'll have the opportunity to meet with other incoming students, but I didn't want to go out there if it was going to be a more individualized question and answer session...any thoughts?

To MusicMan: I'm not sure what range you're looking in, but they gave my future roommate and I a 200 or 300 dollar per month discount. I think they're very flexible if you talk them down....also, they're always running deals, but they change regularly. I think it's definitely worth trying out if their price isn't WAYYYY outta what you're looking to pay.

Paragozardelsol said:
Same here, man. Still waiting. I can wait to find out what is going on (as long as it is not a rejection!)

I called a while back and I think they said that they'd be sending them out before the end of this month (in a couple of weeks at earliest).

they give you 300 dollars for traveling expenses. I'm going :)

Did the invitation for the revist come by email or regular mail?

CalicoKat said:
Riverie: When I got that same thing I wasn't sure: is this a revisit event or more like an open-hours kinda thing? I definitely want to go if I'll have the opportunity to meet with other incoming students, but I didn't want to go out there if it was going to be a more individualized question and answer session...any thoughts?

I think they will most probably group anyone who goes together and have a forum style Q&A at least. That just sounds more efficient to me. Yeah, I would go to meet potential incoming students, too. That sounds fun. And if TexaninPhilly is right, $300 is just right for a ticket from Providence to Houston. Sweet! :)

TexaninPhilly: How'd you find out how much they're reimbursing?

SteveUTexas said:
Did the invitation for the revist come by email or regular mail?

it was by email.

Those of you who received the invitation to the April 4 revisit: Did you send in the acceptance form and/or the deposit? I didn't send in either the form or the deposit, and I haven't received the revisit email (yet).

Thanks!

I had e-mailed admissions and they said they would give a stipend for 300 dollars

and no i haven't turned in my deposit yet

texaninphilly said:
I had e-mailed admissions and they said they would give a stipend for 300 dollars

and no i haven't turned in my deposit yet
texaninphilly, did they say how they are going to reimburse? i.e. write you a check upon proof of purchase of airline ticket/gas mileage, etc. or ?

riverie said:
texaninphilly, did they say how they are going to reimburse? i.e. write you a check upon proof of purchase of airline ticket/gas mileage, etc. or ?

Usually with these types of things (and I speak from the experience of being reimbursed for travel during grad school recruitment), you save all your receipts and send them a copy so they can prove to the institution that you should be reimbursed that much. SAVE EVERY RECEIPT!

Oh Baylor Baylor Baylor... how come you haven't called me yet... I have been waiting by the phone since 10/15!!!

(Not really... they should probably reject me anyway... I would give my acceptance to someone else! UTSW!)

(I totally think that students at UTSW would roll students from Baylor in a cage match!)

iggyboop said:
I called a while back and I think they said that they'd be sending them out before the end of this month (in a couple of weeks at earliest).

If I want to write an LoI to Baylor, should I address it to Dean Bradshaw, Dean Michaels, or just the adcom?

Any suggestions?

MadameLULU said:
for those of y'all wanting to live near reliant: beware of rodeo traffic :mad: :mad:

CRAP! I hate the rodeo! When is it usually? July?

MadameLULU said:
no, it's going on right now for about a month

Are there any complexes by reliant that you would suggest? I am broadening my search. By the way, how are you doing?

this is the e-mail I got: There will be no need for receipts. You will obtain the stipend of $300.00.

texaninphilly said:
this is the e-mail I got: There will be no need for receipts. You will obtain the stipend of $300.00.

Damn.....I guess they have really deep pockets. That means they don't care how much you spend, they're basically giving everyone a blank check for $300. Dang.

jdovez said:
Damn.....I guess they have really deep pockets. That means they don't care how much you spend, they're basically giving everyone a blank check for $300. Dang.
Yup, I emailed them too. "No receipts, it will be paid in cash at the time of attendance." Cash! Deep pockets, indeed. They did ask where I was coming from though. Perhaps it made a difference that I was flying from the East Coast? But without receipts I guess they would have no way of verifying what I said.

riverie said:
Yup, I emailed them too. "No receipts, it will be paid in cash at the time of attendance." Cash! Deep pockets, indeed. They did ask where I was coming from though. Perhaps it made a difference that I was flying from the East Coast? But without receipts I guess they would have no way of verifying what I said.

so this was an email invite? must have been to everyone who isn't URM?

LRmed2003 said:
so this was an email invite? must have been to everyone who isn't URM?

I haven't gotten it, I'm not URM, and I haven't sent in the acceptance form or the deposit. However, I am an MSTP applicant and will be at the second round of interviews this weekend.

jdovez said:
Are there any complexes by reliant that you would suggest? I am broadening my search. By the way, how are you doing?
I'm a big fan of apartments managed by Southampton. They're nicely landscaped, quiet, and aren't as close to reliant so you don't get a lot of the traffic that occurs during football games and the rodeo :)mad:). All their complexes have a shuttle that drops off at lots of the med center locations. In particular, I really like San Marin (each apartment has its own garage!), but others are Plaza del Oro Townhomes, San Melia, El Mundo Park, and Versailles Park.
http://www.sanmarin-houston.com/

Also, for those who want to live a little futher out and not pay anything for parking, you can always park on Colonnade, which is near the Lanesborough, and walk to the rail station. Also, you can park on knight and take the bus in.

I'm doing fine, but I'm ready for this application process to be over with. I'm waiting on fin aid packages and some type of letter from Baylor. What about you?

I just recieved an email from BCM which contained an invitation for all austin, tx
area acceptees to attend a reception in downtown Austin with Mr. and Mrs. Bradshaw. Sounds pretty sweet. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, as I will be in Rome that day.
(this is the 2nd invitation to a BCM event that I have had to turn down :( )

latinfridley said:
I just recieved an email from BCM which contained an invitation for all austin, tx
area acceptees to attend a reception in downtown Austin with Mr. and Mrs. Bradshaw. Sounds pretty sweet. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, as I will be in Rome that day.

I'll take notes for you, Latin ;)
Have fun in Rome!

I'll see everyone else on the 21st!

utlake said:
I'll take notes for you, Latin ;)
Have fun in Rome!

I'll see everyone else on the 21st!

Hehe. Thanks man.

latinfridley said:

Hmm..I wonder if this means Baylor is not accepting any more students from UT? Does anyone know how many UT graduates are typically in the entering class?

Everyone there is still hope--Got the much anticipated call--I'm IN--Woo Hoo!

Runner1979 thanks for giving my hopes another boost and congrats to you, that is awesome!

runner1979 said:
Everyone there is still hope--Got the much anticipated call--I'm IN--Woo Hoo!

Dude, I know its early and hard to muster the energy (and maybe you're recovering from last night) but I KNOW you could muster more energy than that!! Congrats dude! That's awesome.