{Official} August 20th MCAT thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, let me say the real MCAT I just took was nothing like the Kaplan or AAMC practice tests I took. I can not even compared the two. Incredibly harder...

I thought every section was harder than any practice test I have seen including Kaplan. I thought the sciences were harder than Kaplan sectionals.

PS: Was very passaged based and conceptual. 4 gchem passages, 3 physics. I had to use very few equations and the ones I had to use were in from the passage.

Verbal: usually strong point, first time I have ever had a passage I could not understand fully. I spent 12 minutes on it and still was unsure. The questions were harder and the answer choices were closer and harder to pick from than the AAMCs.

BS: almost completely passage based. I have had Immuno, Micro, Biochem and two Pathophysio and I still could not understand some of the passages. I also had a hard org passage. I think I got some of it right but who knows. Immuno passage with some genetics thrown in, cell cycle passage, rest is a blur.

The discretes were all more difficult and had to guess on several on them. On practice tests for Kaplan and AAMC, I never had a problem. Did today though.

There were maybe 2 or 3 give me questions on each science section.

I have no clue what to expect for a grade since I educated guessed my way through most of it. I averaged 34 AAMC and 36 Kaplan and unless the curve is huge, I expect a 25 or so. I know many have said this before, but based on what I saw today and the AAMC curve, something has to be different or I am going to get a very different score.

Could I have prepared better? Not really. It was all passage based and hard as hell. I did finish with enough time in each section just because I did alot of guessing.

So, believe what you read in here about the difficulty of some of the real MCATs. I was not shocked because of what I have read in here, but I know I missed alot more than I usually did on AAMCs and Kaplans. I will need a Kaplan curve to be competitive.

Any others or am I the only one that thought what they saw today was rough!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now the big question is, will we get our scores in just a little while, or are we going to be delayed?

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

If I eat anything now...it will surely come out of the two major openings in my body that are meant to dispose solids substances.

1) The digestive system is an open system and is not technically IN the body.

2) What other orifice besides the anus is stuff supposed to come out of?

1) The digestive system is an open system and is not technically IN the body.

2) What other orifice besides the anus is stuff supposed to come out
of?

Thanks brainiac, I wasn't being technical enough. I was referring to the mouth....throw up...get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones who have received their scores -- can you just refresh the THX page once logged in, or do you have to re-log in each time?

Thanks brainiac, I wasn't being technical enough. I was referring to the mouth....throw up...get it?

Lol I'm back in MCAT mode, sorry. Jeez I thought that vacation I took right after my test would knock me out of it. At the peak of my studying my roomate took out a corkscrew thingy to open a bottle of wine and I was like "Whoa! That looks like a virus. Look here's the capsid and it even has a tail fiber."

Lol I'm back in MCAT mode, sorry. Jeez I thought that vacation I took right after my test would knock me out of it. At the peak of my studying my roomate took out a corkscrew thingy to open a bottle of wine and I was like "Whoa! That looks like a virus. Look here's the capsid and it even has a tail fiber."

LoL, I feel you... I try not to spread my MCAT knowledge outside of my book unless I wanna loose all my friends

SCORES ARE UP!!!!

I got a 29O.

8PS, 11VR, 10BS

I'm disappointed in VR - actually thought I did better. Very happy with BS, thought I'd get an 8 or lower. PS is what I expected - I hadn't taken physics and thought I could just "self study". WRONG. So overall pretty much what I thought I'd get.

However, I'm disappointed in the O. I thought I met all objectives and wrote well. But - I didn't write A LOT. I talked to someone who said that his first time around he wrote what he thought was a GREAT (but short) essay and got an M - then wrote a long but crappy essay the second time and got an R. Anyone else have any feedback on this?

def up. arghhhhh.

survivor, but barely. right at my AAMC practice tests. slightly below my kaplan.

29 O
Ps: 10
Vr:9
Bs:10
Ws: O

I'm definitely retaking it, I think I should apply anyways with this. I don't know how much being late will hurt me.

11ps
13bs
11vr

35M

OMG I'm happy as all hell (except for the M, WTF?)

Good thing I'm not applying in Canada

SCORES ARE UP!!!!

I got a 29O.

8PS, 11VR, 10BS

I'm disappointed in VR - actually thought I did better. Very happy with BS, thought I'd get an 8 or lower. PS is what I expected - I hadn't taken physics and thought I could just "self study". WRONG. So overall pretty much what I thought I'd get.

However, I'm disappointed in the O. I thought I met all objectives and wrote well. But - I didn't write A LOT. I talked to someone who said that his first time around he wrote what he thought was a GREAT (but short) essay and got an M - then wrote a long but crappy essay the second time and got an R. Anyone else have any feedback on this?

Yeah I thought my writing samples were decent

But they were very short

Got an M

32O i'm okay with that.

PS12
Vr11
BS9

Didn't finish the writing sample, and got an absolutely terrible set of BS questions for my knowledge set. Did right in the middle of the range I would have expected.

my heart is racing so fast i feel like im going to faint , i can't get up the guts to check the score, i know it'll be horrible bc i totally bombed the exam omgggggg

10 PS
9 VR
10 BS

29Q... w t f .... I've never scored that low in the sciences... I was averaging in the 30s on every test I took... with lows of 31 and highs of 36/37. Shoulda voided.

Definitely retake.

omg this is so disappointing

ps 11
bs 11
v 9

31R

got 33-36 in my aamc practice tests.. what happened? did everyone get a low verbal score?

30 O

Bs: 12
Ps: 11
Vr: 07

Without PREP course.

Only by using KAPLAN book and AAMC test.

:hardy:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35Q

PS 11
VR 11
BS 13

:love:

Time for beer and pizza!!! (even though I have to work tomorrow at 0700!)

So i did reallly bad....24R! ( 8/8/8 R).....i studied soooo much, yet got so little! I gotta vamp up for the Jan rounds.....

too bad i already spent 3000$ applying......omG!

good luck everyone.....:confused:

9 PS 11 VR 9 BS = 29O.

I think that's alright for the caribbean, and possibly D.O. schools. I know it's not a great score, I just don't want to take it again.

Vr 10
Ps 12
Bs 13

WS...n!

Anyone know how much they weight WS scores in comparison w/ your actual number

So i did reallly bad....24R! ( 8/8/8 R).....i studied soooo much, yet got so little! I gotta vamp up for the Jan rounds.....

too bad i already spent 3000$ applying......omG!

good luck everyone.....:confused:

I feel your pain and match your score except for writing !!

24 WTF!!

So august 20th scores are officially up? I AM FREAKING OUT because I can't check my scores right now. Confusing, I know. I am in a class for another hour and I refuse to check it here, just in case I lose it, you know!

But reading this thread is killing me, though of course I have no intention of getting off, lol (masochist much). The scores are all over the place, some people rocked it and others are in the lower range.

Congratulations to everyone who is thrilled with their scores. I hope to join you soon.

To those of you not so thrilled or outright devastated, please don't give up. This is your dream and you will achieve your goals if you keep at it.

Yeah, all over the place is how I describe it. I don't even care about mcat anymore. The test is so ridiculous. I guarantee the difference between my score (32) and say a 35-36 was maybe 4 questions. I'm through with letting the mcat people make me feel inferior for misreading 3-4 questions out of around 300. Whatever your scores are people, I suggest not worrying about them if they are near the range for accepted students. If schools really don't want you because you missed a handful of questions more than another applicant, then I say f**k them.