{Official} August 20th MCAT thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, let me say the real MCAT I just took was nothing like the Kaplan or AAMC practice tests I took. I can not even compared the two. Incredibly harder...

I thought every section was harder than any practice test I have seen including Kaplan. I thought the sciences were harder than Kaplan sectionals.

PS: Was very passaged based and conceptual. 4 gchem passages, 3 physics. I had to use very few equations and the ones I had to use were in from the passage.

Verbal: usually strong point, first time I have ever had a passage I could not understand fully. I spent 12 minutes on it and still was unsure. The questions were harder and the answer choices were closer and harder to pick from than the AAMCs.

BS: almost completely passage based. I have had Immuno, Micro, Biochem and two Pathophysio and I still could not understand some of the passages. I also had a hard org passage. I think I got some of it right but who knows. Immuno passage with some genetics thrown in, cell cycle passage, rest is a blur.

The discretes were all more difficult and had to guess on several on them. On practice tests for Kaplan and AAMC, I never had a problem. Did today though.

There were maybe 2 or 3 give me questions on each science section.

I have no clue what to expect for a grade since I educated guessed my way through most of it. I averaged 34 AAMC and 36 Kaplan and unless the curve is huge, I expect a 25 or so. I know many have said this before, but based on what I saw today and the AAMC curve, something has to be different or I am going to get a very different score.

Could I have prepared better? Not really. It was all passage based and hard as hell. I did finish with enough time in each section just because I did alot of guessing.

So, believe what you read in here about the difficulty of some of the real MCATs. I was not shocked because of what I have read in here, but I know I missed alot more than I usually did on AAMCs and Kaplans. I will need a Kaplan curve to be competitive.

Any others or am I the only one that thought what they saw today was rough!!

Members don't see this ad.

DEFINITELY a lot more like Kaplan passages... PS & BIO
I honestly thought the Bio came straight out of a Kaplan FL... except MUCH harder

Wow.. I'm so GLAD it's over

PS: Not that bad

- Particles superheating or something?
- Phase Change Passage (HARD... what the hell are freedom thingies or whatever?.. I couldn't use the equation right)
- Closing Circuit at position "S" passage
- Titration passage

can't remember the rest

VR: O M G.... ridiculous... esp that passage on the renaissance.. or atleast it had a question asking what would happen to modern society

BS:

O Chem (L/D Sugar passage) passage
Mice Immunology passage

Hard... passage based... GIZZARD Passage.. I almost died during that passage

Breasts Pesticide Passage lol

O Chem passage w/ compounds 1 - 7

Can't remember

A trend that I've noticed that people don't really talk about is that the BS discretes are MUCH harder than the AAMC CBT discretes.

Members don't see this ad :)
They turned me away at the door because my ID was expired. After reading the first post..I'm kind of glad.

try doing the ps and vr with the entire building shaking because of a jackhammer outside... :scared:

i BARELY finished those sections

PS: couple of abstract passages in PS that ive done in kaplan tests
VR: uhh..i suck at verbal, i dont remember anything
WS: my favorite part
BS: very tough...i thought gizzards were nasty before, i hate them now, had a passage from a kaplan test as well

DEFINITELY a lot more like Kaplan passages... PS & BIO
I honestly thought the Bio came straight out of a Kaplan FL... except MUCH harder

Wow.. I'm so GLAD it's over

PS: Not that bad

- Particles superheating or something?
- Phase Change Passage (HARD... what the hell are freedom thingies or whatever?.. I couldn't use the equation right)
- Closing Circuit at position "S" passage
- Titration passage

can't remember the rest

VR: O M G.... ridiculous... esp that passage on the renaissance.. or atleast it had a question asking what would happen to modern society

BS:

O Chem (L/D Sugar passage) passage
Mice Immunology passage

Hard... passage based... GIZZARD Passage.. I almost died during that passage

Breasts Pesticide Passage lol

O Chem passage w/ compounds 1 - 7

Can't remember

Yeah, that's the verbal passage I am talking about. I read it twice and still was not sure what the hell is was fully talking about. Let us hope that one is experimental!!

AAMC 8,9,10 did NOTHING to prepare me for today's test. I felt like I would have been better off taking a course on reading comprehension. Where in the world did they get those passages? On more than one, I was like...WTF?

I would have been better off in Mexico drinking a margarita then flying in just to take the test. I feel like I've wasted a year of studying!

Honestly

I wish you can take courses on "logic"

I bet someone in Law school would score higher than me on the MCAT :D

PS; Lets just wait for the results to come out...not so bad in general.
VR; I'm sure I zoned out...not longer than practices, but somehow harder
WR; Not Bad
BS; Gizzard made me REALLY hungry, lol...apart from triggering my apetite, I thought it was do-able.

Phew, thanks guys, that test was not fun

PS- Doing great until that phase paragraph, they gave an equation but for the life of me I could not figure out just what the heck one of the variables stood for. By the way, anyone have that toy shop passage?:laugh: That was such a genius way of asking like 10 totally random questions. I loved it.

VR- Made the mistake of taking the break at my desk, and didn't drink any caffeine or anything. Ended up when I clicked "start verbal" I was really out of it, couldn't focus at all, was yawning and really calm... the total opposite of what I should have been and it caught me so off guard I didn't really know how to fix it. The passage selection certainly didn't help, I was waiting for an interesting passage and they all were like humanities and philosophy crap. That one about culture trends changing over time or something confused the crap out of me.

BS[/b]- I have always been good at Bio and went in hoping to redeem myself. I utterly demolished any stand alones but was taken by surprise at the difficulty of the passage questions. Annoyed me really, spent all summer studying and I probably could have gone in after ~5 days of review and done just as good. Actually I'm pretty sure the person with ~5 days of review could have beat me if he had a coffee :(

Overall: :thumbdown:. Went in hoping for 12/10/11. Without curve probably got 10/8/9:thumbdown: An effective two point drop in each section.

btw, I didn't have the gizzard passage... :scared: did I skip it or are the tests different

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly

I wish you can take courses on "logic"

I bet someone in Law school would score higher than me on the MCAT :D

I took the LSAT too previously back in 2000!

Logic games are alot easier than that sucka I saw today.

I have taken the LSAT, DAT(2), PCAT, and MCAT. MCAT rules hands down!!

I agree that logic and critical thinking are more important than actual science knowledge. Studying really does not help that much.

Although from what everyone has said, I guess I need to do more Kaplan stuff next time.

damn are you serious?

Yup. Sounds like they did me a favor though. The AAMC site wont let me even TRY to register for an exam right now so I guess I'll throw my hope of taking it in Sept out the window.

That exam was absolutely ridiculous. I have taken every AAMC test and got between 29-34 in each one. But I might as well not have studied for the exam at all because I felt like I was taking something totally different.

PS: Nothing nothing NOTHING like anything I had seen on any of the practice exams before. I didn't finish in time, had to randomly guess at the end w/o reading questions. For so many I was like, WTF ARE YOU ASKING!! I was so mad because I didn't take the MCAT in may because I wanted to bust my ass of studying for it in the summer. I did that, and now I feel like I've wasted so many months of my life. But I digress...

VR: Was definitely better than the PS, but still very hard. I think my confidence went down the drain after the first section.

BS: Also very hard, but again, better than PS. Much harder than the AAMC ones. I guess I should have done more Kaplan. A friend of mine took it in May and said that it wasn't like Kaplan at all, and so instead based his studying totally off of the AAMC ones, and did really well when he took them again. I base all my studying off of the AAMC ones, but am wondering whether it would have been better to do more kaplan now. But honestly, I don't think anything could have prepared me for that. It wasn't testing your mastery of science, it was definitely something else.

So I have a question. Someone at the testing center was telling me that
the way the curve works is that it only affects your percentile rank, and not your actual score. Is this true? I was telling him that if I miss 20 questions, and everyone else also misses 20 questions, then I get a higher score. But he was saying if you miss 20, you get a certain score regardless of what everyone else does, its just your percentile that changes. Please tell me he was wrong!!!

Holy crap :eek:

So yea, I think the test prep materials are starting to expire because WTF was that??

PS: OK WOW. That's all I have to say. Yea, degrees of freedom and what the F*** is a "unity" (acid/base passage)??? Eww I hope I break an 8. I will jump for joy if I break an 8 but at this point it looks like I have something closer to a 4.

Verbal: Verbal's just verbal. Rushed through the last passage.

Bio: It was tougher than AAMC's but better than the PS section. I was stunned by the PS section.

I didn't have a gizzard passage either..

Eh, I hope I did a good guess job, or I'm not going anywhere.

I thought the passages were in between Kaplan and AAMC (the harder AAMC passages). I expected to see AAMC style questions, but they were a little bit like Kaplan too (the earlier ones, not 10 and 11).

What in the world was that X/Y passage about in the bio section with the cytotoxic T cells? I don't think I got ANY of those questions right. The BS was pretty difficult, and a lot more twisted than what I was used to seeing.

Anyway, I can't predict what my grade will be at all. I hope the curve will be in my favor -_-

For anyone who will be taking this exam in the future: Learn to really follow the PS/BS passages almost like you're reading VR passages, they seem to be testing a lot on whether you're following the logic behind the passages.

Eh, I hope I did a good guess job, or I'm not going anywhere.

I thought the passages were in between Kaplan and AAMC (the harder AAMC passages). I expected to see AAMC style questions, but they were a little bit like Kaplan too (the earlier ones, not 10 and 11).

What in the world was that X/Y passage about in the bio section with the cytotoxic T cells? I don't think I got ANY of those questions right. The BS was pretty difficult, and a lot more twisted than what I was used to seeing.

Anyway, I can't predict what my grade will be at all. I hope the curve will be in my favor -_-

For anyone who will be taking this exam in the future: Learn to really follow the PS/BS passages almost like you're reading VR passages, they seem to be testing a lot on whether you're following the logic behind the passages.

Precisely. Do not waste time studying. Work on getting the info out of the passages.

HARDEST test I ever gave in my life

BS was little easier than PS

PS
oooh my GOD
I don't know what do

VR verrrrry loooong passage

So I have a question. Someone at the testing center was telling me that
the way the curve works is that it only affects your percentile rank, and not your actual score. Is this true? I was telling him that if I miss 20 questions, and everyone else also misses 20 questions, then I get a higher score. But he was saying if you miss 20, you get a certain score regardless of what everyone else does, its just your percentile that changes. Please tell me he was wrong!!!

OMG- I hope not. That would be completely unfair for people who get harder forms.

First, I am a retaker from the july 13 mcat. Before that test I was ridiculously prepared, but since then my memory has faded to some extent. It could be that my perception of this test is skewed by the fact that I wasn't quite as prepared this time around. okay....

PS - I actually thought it was comparable to AAMC exams. I thought it was definitely easier than the July 13 exam, but I'm not sure if that will be reflected in my performance.There was some hard stuff, but a lot of familiar things if you had taken the practice exams.
I had no gizzards but did have the degree of variability passage

VR- There were definitely some hard to understand passages, but the questions were not as hard IMO than the july 13 exam. One really really hard passage about some feminist play. One other passage on there was ridiculously hard.. can't exactly remember which

BS- This was definitely the hardest part of my test version.. hands down! It seemed like a different calibur than the rest of the test.. Like nothing I had experienced in AAMC or Kaplan... Well, maybe some of the harder kaplans.. Just a lot of super super passage based questions. The one about immunity was ridiculous as someone above mentioned. I didn't feel like preparing made a whole lot of difference here. It honestly felt like some sort of iq test. Like verbal reasoning but harder and with a bio bent.

Wow.....
My impression is pretty much the same, they're more focused on whether you can speed read and grab information out of the passages rather than if you really know how and when to use formulas.....man I think I wasted the last few months of my life trying to understand the formulas and determine where they apply...
As for the Bio section.....that degrees of freedom question sucked out like 12 minutes of my time.....wow!

veaselhaufen- Can I ask what you got on your July 13th MCAT?

A lot of people with good scores are retaking... I think that will make the curve harder for later tests.

How do you guys recommend preparing if the questions are becoming more passage based? I feel like I was really prepared for todays test, but from stalking this thread..maybe I wasnt.

You don't understand how utterly dismaying it is to read this thread.

I'm doing a content review and have spent so much time on this...

The real question is... are there any real practice tests to gauge performance on test day?

This is just making me feel like I'm helpless (btw I probably won't take the exam until January, but I've started studying heavily now).

How do you guys recommend preparing if the questions are becoming more passage based? I feel like I was really prepared for todays test, but from stalking this thread..maybe I wasnt.

I think taking upper division bio courses is a must now. Probably a little late for that though!

First, I am a retaker from the july 13 mcat. Before that test I was ridiculously prepared, but since then my memory has faded to some extent. It could be that my perception of this test is skewed by the fact that I wasn't quite as prepared this time around. okay....

PS - I actually thought it was comparable to AAMC exams. I thought it was definitely easier than the July 13 exam, but I'm not sure if that will be reflected in my performance.There was some hard stuff, but a lot of familiar things if you had taken the practice exams.
I had no gizzards but did have the degree of variability passage

VR- There were definitely some hard to understand passages, but the questions were not as hard IMO than the july 13 exam. One really really hard passage about some feminist play. One other passage on there was ridiculously hard.. can't exactly remember which

BS- This was definitely the hardest part of my test version.. hands down! It seemed like a different calibur than the rest of the test.. Like nothing I had experienced in AAMC or Kaplan... Well, maybe some of the harder kaplans.. Just a lot of super super passage based questions. The one about immunity was ridiculous as someone above mentioned. I didn't feel like preparing made a whole lot of difference here. It honestly felt like some sort of iq test. Like verbal reasoning but harder and with a bio bent.

that totally sucks. and there goes that women's issue passage hahaha, i knew one would turn up.

not unless you take it next april, that's enough time to cram in 4+ upper bio classes...throw in a math/physics/chem too if you are up for the challenge.

Well I'm a math major so I've had my fair share of those. God, is this really the only way? Kaplan FLs aren't even close?

omg.....major ownage by that exam.....thank god I got sick after PS and forced myself to void right then and there....but you have to go through the entire exam to void....so you know I just hit next, next, next and saw the entire test......and it was a beast....holy cow........maybe 1% like AAMC, that test was grrrrrrr, insanity at its best....well voided , $210 gone.

wow, that was f-in tough... a lot different than all the AAMC/TPR practice tests... what was with that kid in the toystore, they managed to lump like every single physics equation into one passage... all in all, not too thrilled aobut it... ecstatic that it's over... but don't feel too great about my score... hopefully the curve is generous and i can pull a decent grade... my gpa is lacking so lord knows i need a better mcat to make up for it... doesn't look like that's happening, but we'll see...

very passage based... extra long passages (verbal)... very confusingly worded questions for bio...

Ive studied for 7 months and after taking this test, it didnt matter if you studied 2 days or years.

PS- Ive taken AMCC AND Princeton test, and there is no parallel between this actual test. The passages are all passage based. I knew all the formulas and concepts, but knowing this things didn't help me at all. I was prpbably unsure on most of the questions, it felt like a guessing game.

VB- I though was the easiest section, I never finish on time, but in this section I did.

BS- I believe this was the hardest section. Most of the AAMC practice test, I could answer question w/o even reading the passage, but that was not the case here. The question were odd, and the passages were longer and very confusing.

I really feel like I did horrible and I was avg. btwn 27-30 on practice, but this one below a 20, to be honest.

:(

wow. just wow. i would have voided, until i thought: hey, this is so ridiculous that maybe the curve will be forgiving. but honestly, i think if i just read novels all summer, i would have been more prepared for this test. if i studied 2 days or 2 years, i don't think it would have made a difference. i'm just hoping i don't have to retake. my lowest score ever was a 22 (on a diagnostic) and i think that is higher than today's test. maybe there will be a crazy curve and my guessing will help me get a 25:laugh:. man, i just wasted the last few months of my life, because studying didn't help me one bit with that friggin thing!

a friend that took it with me was averaging 33-39 on aamc's and she said she's positive that the highest she will get is straight 9's. I believe her. and are we allowed to ask questions from the test? b/c i've written down about 15 questions that i can't look up b/c the answer was in the passage.

a friend that took it with me was averaging 33-39 on aamc's and she said she's positive that the highest she will get is straight 9's. I believe her. and are we allowed to ask questions from the test? b/c i've written down about 15 questions that i can't look up b/c the answer was in the passage.

No direct questions... AAMC peruses our boards and we wouldn't want our fab mods (or ourselves, for that matter) to get in trouble.

After reading all these, I'm so glad I tested on the 9th!

you know, i was thinking about this, and i can only remember maybe two or three passages that i was completely lost in during 6 cbt practice tests. on the test today, i had 1 in ps, 1 in vr, and 2 in bs where i guessed on the majority of that passage's questions because i was so completely confused and running out of time. if i retake this thing, i honestly don't know how to study for it. maybe this is turning into a plain reading comprehension test.