{Official} August 20th MCAT thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, let me say the real MCAT I just took was nothing like the Kaplan or AAMC practice tests I took. I can not even compared the two. Incredibly harder...

I thought every section was harder than any practice test I have seen including Kaplan. I thought the sciences were harder than Kaplan sectionals.

PS: Was very passaged based and conceptual. 4 gchem passages, 3 physics. I had to use very few equations and the ones I had to use were in from the passage.

Verbal: usually strong point, first time I have ever had a passage I could not understand fully. I spent 12 minutes on it and still was unsure. The questions were harder and the answer choices were closer and harder to pick from than the AAMCs.

BS: almost completely passage based. I have had Immuno, Micro, Biochem and two Pathophysio and I still could not understand some of the passages. I also had a hard org passage. I think I got some of it right but who knows. Immuno passage with some genetics thrown in, cell cycle passage, rest is a blur.

The discretes were all more difficult and had to guess on several on them. On practice tests for Kaplan and AAMC, I never had a problem. Did today though.

There were maybe 2 or 3 give me questions on each science section.

I have no clue what to expect for a grade since I educated guessed my way through most of it. I averaged 34 AAMC and 36 Kaplan and unless the curve is huge, I expect a 25 or so. I know many have said this before, but based on what I saw today and the AAMC curve, something has to be different or I am going to get a very different score.

Could I have prepared better? Not really. It was all passage based and hard as hell. I did finish with enough time in each section just because I did alot of guessing.

So, believe what you read in here about the difficulty of some of the real MCATs. I was not shocked because of what I have read in here, but I know I missed alot more than I usually did on AAMCs and Kaplans. I will need a Kaplan curve to be competitive.

Any others or am I the only one that thought what they saw today was rough!!

Members don't see this ad.

i called aamc - they claim everything is on schedule.

C'mon man! why did you call....now I feel like they're definitely gonna post them. But deep down I've been kinda hoping they're delayed even though I kinda wanna see my score.....holy crap...i don't even know what I want anymore. This is TORTURE!!!!!!!! Somebody saaaavvvveee meeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, aamc has told the Aug 16th folks that everything is on schedule as well.

Anyone else wondering how they'll pass the next 29 minutes?

:mad:Are the scores going to be up today....or do they mean sometime after 5pm today... I am so frustrated here it is after 5 and no scores! They said everything would be on schedule.

I need to know what I got!

And to make things worse, I got a root canal today..now this bs**

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what I think they should do from now on? Tell us the scores will be released January 1, 2008 and that way, when they're actually released on September 24 (or some ridiculously delayed day) we can all sit back and say "Wow AAMC! You are so on top of your game, you guys got our scores back EARLY!"

Because right now I think I am giving myself a coronary.

Or at the very least just give us some advance warning when there will be a delay. Like they don't know a few days in advance. I think they enjoy this....

Called AAMC @ 5:07pm. The rep said that scores will be released after 5pm today and they are waiting for the system to update. I will believe it when I see my scores today.

they cannot justify this. if they put up a notice about the scores being delayed at any point after this, they are just blatantly torturing people.

In aamc's defense, the MCAT administration schedule does say that scores are released "After 5 PM." Not that that changes the horrible sinking feeling in my stomach.

they cannot justify this. if they put up a notice about the scores being delayed at any point after this, they are just blatantly torturing people.

It is what it is; they already screwed us over enough with the difficulty of the test. **** I was getting 11s and 12s on my biology and PS (I knew my ExamKrackers books front to back and did all of the 1001 problems in biology too) and 10s on verbals...not to mention I was finishing each section with about 30 minutes to spare...
This test was IMPOSSIBLE. I finished everything but barely. The passages were much longer and some of the infamous problems I will never understand....

It is what it is; they already screwed us over enough with the difficulty of the test. **** I was getting 11s and 12s on my biology and PS (I knew my ExamKrackers books front to back and did all of the 1001 problems in biology too) and 10s on verbals...not to mention I was finishing each section with about 30 minutes to spare...
This test was IMPOSSIBLE. I finished everything but barely. The passages were much longer and some of the infamous problems I will never understand....

haha yeah but the torturing should at least be subtle, i think:laugh:

You make me sad. Very, very sad and insecure about my mythical test scores which will only be released upon my death because at this point, i'm trying not to run out into the street due to frustration and impatience.

you guys DO realize that it OFFICIALLY says.... scores will be released AFTER 5 PM... meaning anytime between 5 pm - 12 am... they could release them at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11:55 pm... there's no specific time

hahaha so true man, so true

my anxiety and stress is decreasing. i kind of like this random delay. i no longer am completely freaking out to click the refresh button

You make me sad. Very, very sad and insecure about my mythical test scores which will only be released upon my death because at this point, i'm trying not to run out into the street due to frustration and impatience.

I know! How do you think I felt? I tried the PR prep course during the semester while taking 20 other credit hours. Didn't work. I was only getting about a 24 at the end of it. So I took the summer off except for one class...literally studied 6-8 hours a day. I went to bed at night creating multiple choice problems. I wrote songs about prokaryotes, eukaryotes, phosphofructokinase, Halogenations, Brominations, etc. And I knew my stuff well enough to teach it. And I went into that test and was like WTF? I had an idea or gauge of how well I did on my other tests..and this one I have no clue. Also it didn't help that I could only fall asleep for an hour the night before :(

you guys DO realize that it OFFICIALLY says.... scores will be released AFTER 5 PM... meaning anytime between 5 pm - 12 am... they could release them at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11:55 pm... there's no specific time

...so true

also notice that on their site it says:

Should we experience any significant delays in releasing scores (delays beyond three days from the date published in the schedule) we will post a message on this Web page.

so uhh, they dont have to tell us there is a 2 day delay? lol GODDDD

Well, I am leaving my apartment for the next 5 hours to go to dinner and a movie. Maybe by 10:27pm the scores will be up and I can:

A) cry myself to sleep
B) celebrate all night long in ecstatic joy and hope for the future
C) cry while I work on my backup plan for life - purchasing lottery tickets

(Oh Angelina, why couldn't you adopt ME!? Then I could come with you to underdeserved areas and practice medicine with the degree I am currently printing out on my computer using photoshop? And my paper stethoscope)

(Oh Angelina, why couldn't you adopt ME!? Then I could come with you to underdeserved areas and practice medicine with the degree I am currently printing out on my computer using photoshop? And my paper stethoscope)

yeah, me too...me too indeed

I called at 5:07pm and the rep said the scores would be out after 5pm and they are waiting for the system to update. :confused:

Ahh! August 16th scores were just posted!!

so either we are coming up in a minute or we have to wait 4 days:scared:

August 16th thread reports their scores are up. Anyone from 20th get their scores? I haven't.... hope they didn't lose mine! (or maybe I do....)

True. If I remember correctly, the results from the July 13th examination (already delayed a day or two) came out after..mm, 6-ish? Maybe 7?

Anyway, I hope that doesn't happen to all of you, and you get scores you are happy with that make the wait worth it.