{Official} August 20th MCAT thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, let me say the real MCAT I just took was nothing like the Kaplan or AAMC practice tests I took. I can not even compared the two. Incredibly harder...

I thought every section was harder than any practice test I have seen including Kaplan. I thought the sciences were harder than Kaplan sectionals.

PS: Was very passaged based and conceptual. 4 gchem passages, 3 physics. I had to use very few equations and the ones I had to use were in from the passage.

Verbal: usually strong point, first time I have ever had a passage I could not understand fully. I spent 12 minutes on it and still was unsure. The questions were harder and the answer choices were closer and harder to pick from than the AAMCs.

BS: almost completely passage based. I have had Immuno, Micro, Biochem and two Pathophysio and I still could not understand some of the passages. I also had a hard org passage. I think I got some of it right but who knows. Immuno passage with some genetics thrown in, cell cycle passage, rest is a blur.

The discretes were all more difficult and had to guess on several on them. On practice tests for Kaplan and AAMC, I never had a problem. Did today though.

There were maybe 2 or 3 give me questions on each science section.

I have no clue what to expect for a grade since I educated guessed my way through most of it. I averaged 34 AAMC and 36 Kaplan and unless the curve is huge, I expect a 25 or so. I know many have said this before, but based on what I saw today and the AAMC curve, something has to be different or I am going to get a very different score.

Could I have prepared better? Not really. It was all passage based and hard as hell. I did finish with enough time in each section just because I did alot of guessing.

So, believe what you read in here about the difficulty of some of the real MCATs. I was not shocked because of what I have read in here, but I know I missed alot more than I usually did on AAMCs and Kaplans. I will need a Kaplan curve to be competitive.

Any others or am I the only one that thought what they saw today was rough!!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's compare scars. I mean you think you've got it bad.
I'm only applying to 3 schools, the most reputable schools in the Caribbean - and now there's a good chance I won't even be accepted there. Imagine explaining that to your friends. I can think of around 15 questions I got wrong...

Alright...so who's buying my drink?
I can think of around 15 passages I got wrong. That test was unbearable in my opinion. Sounds weird, but I really wanted to be a D.O. so bad. In college I was in a B.S./D.O program here in NY but opted out of it due to some circumstances along the course of my college career. With my gpa being subpar is it is, St. George, Ross, and Saba don't seem to be too plausible either with my expected 23 at best on the MCAT, (really expecting a 20-22). But for me, anything less than a 24 eliminates my chances of becoming a D.O. I hate thinking I will be weeded out with the non-survivors. Jin and tonic baby!

Is the general consensus that the verbal section was pretty standard compared to the practice tests? I felt like first half of the section was fine, but the last 2 or 3 passages had me guessing a lot. What do you think you'd get with a raw score of 50 percent? I think thats probably about what i did

On verbal, I'd say based on a friend of mine who got a 33 on an early June MCAT with an 8 on verbal (his score report said 33rd-50th percentile) and considering he says he felt/knows he didn't get more than 50-60% of the verbal right...I'd say a 7-8 taking into account the consensus is that the Aug. 20th VR was comparable to some AAMC practice tests = more examinees prepared for VR = sh*ttier curve...

Members don't see this ad :)
The more I think about how I did on the Aug. 20th test, the more I think I did worser and worser. I started off thinking I maybe had gotten a 24 and now I think I got 17.... Why was I punished with such a harsh test?

The more I think about how I did on the Aug. 20th test, the more I think I did worser and worser. I started off thinking I maybe had gotten a 24 and now I think I got 17.... Why was I punished with such a harsh test?

The same reason that the dinosaurs were wiped out, silly goose: "Because you touch yourself at night..."
-courtesy of Family Guy:D

hey theres a poll for the aug 20 exam, other than the one linked to this thread

with only a week to go, anyone that hasnt voted yet give it a go please

I wonder if the results of our exam will be delayed like the AUG 14 test. I hope not, I can't take too much more waiting!!!!!:scared:

did you guys think the verbal was standard to the practice tests. It seemed rather different to me. Longer passages and more ambiguous questions especially the beginning part.

I agree that the verbal section on the Aug 20th test was unusually tough! I spent WAY too much time on the first few passages and ended up guessing on the last few (passages, not questions!). Verbal is usually my strength but I will feel lucky if I can count my verbal score on two hands. :(

just a few more days (hopefully)... anyone else find it hard to concentrate on ANYTHING... i can't think of anything but MCAT & NFL lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 test on monday 17th but can't concentrate.

Org II and Biochem I test

help me by releasing my score

Oh man, these days are a blur. It's like the last two days before summer break, I'm really not even conscious... really not paying attention to anything going on and putting off everything I can. I am also now getting asked two or three times daily about how I did, or "what do you think you got?" or my favorite "Let's say you got a 31... what do you think are your chances?!?"

Being the first in your grade to take the MCAT = bad idea
Six months ago, telling everyone your plans to do so = very, very bad idea

I have 2 test on monday 17th but can't concentrate.

Org II and Biochem I test

help me by releasing my score

I am in the same boat! Hard to concentrate when you have one of the most important scores of your life looming over your head!

just a few more days (hopefully)... anyone else find it hard to concentrate on ANYTHING... i can't think of anything but MCAT & NFL lol...

HAHA! Yeah, I know exactly how you feel...Plus, throwing college football into the equation w/ a smattering of tailgating and we have a recipe for disaster:laugh:

i pray that our scores aren't delayed (and while i'm praying, might as well ask that they're all 30+ :) ), but i can't take much more of this, i can't sleep, can't focus... it's just getting worse the closer we get to D-Day...

plus, i've already bought and chilled my bottle of Grey Goose if i need to celebrate... and my bottle of Cuervo Gold if i don't...

i pray that our scores aren't delayed (and while i'm praying, might as well ask that they're all 30+ :) ), but i can't take much more of this, i can't sleep, can't focus... it's just getting worse the closer we get to D-Day...

plus, i've already bought and chilled my bottle of Grey Goose if i need to celebrate... and my bottle of Cuervo Gold if i don't...

I've got my bottle of Jager ready either way

My friend just told me he got a 28 on his MCAT from August 14.
PS - 8
VR - 11
BS - 9

I was going back and forth on my practice AAMCs on all my sections between 8 and 9. This kid was a whiz kid in PS. He didnt take one practice test and didnt practice VR, he's just pretty good with it. He concentrated real hard on EK practice workbooks for the sciences and only got an 8 in the PS!!! What does that mean for me?????? This is soo intimidating because even though i was getting 8's and 9's in PS, as well as everything else, he's way more brilliant in that subject area than I am. I'm very intimidated. The way I see it, I needed to score at least a 25 to be considered for D.O admission given my 3.16 overall gpa. That new Rocky Vista school that everyone was urging to boycott says the accept nothing less than a 6 in every section. Now i feel like a i got anywhere from a 4 - 7 (at best) in the PS. Im screwed!!!!!!!!!!!:scared::scared::scared:

Hahahahaha, I love it. Exactly how I am feeling right about now. I am going crazy and guess what I have to give a presentation for one of my classes on, you guessed it, wednesday at 5pm, I don't know how I am going to get through it.

To be honest the only thing that helps, is knowing that you guys are going through the same thing with me. No one and I mean no one else understands. The most annoying comment I hear lately is "I am sure you did fine"! How can people even begin to say that.

Oh man, these days are a blur. It's like the last two days before summer break, I'm really not even conscious... really not paying attention to anything going on and putting off everything I can. I am also now getting asked two or three times daily about how I did, or "what do you think you got?" or my favorite "Let's say you got a 31... what do you think are your chances?!?"

Being the first in your grade to take the MCAT = bad idea
Six months ago, telling everyone your plans to do so = very, very bad idea

Same situation as you - I took it Aug 14th and I'm a sophomore now. I only told a couple of my closest friends and told them to shut their mouths about it. few other people (inevitably) found out and gaped but for the most part nobody has any idea.

I know many of you are nervous but I really am not. I know I did worse than I expected going in and plan to take it again anyway. I have seen on here where some people have jumped up five points by taking the MCAT on a different day. Picking the day you take it is as important now and being prepared. I mean you can not learn that much in a month. I think we just got unlucky on the 20th of August 2007. I figure evenly I will get one that is good like August 9th MCAT and get the score I need.

Still want to get the score though. I just can sleep and study for the two tests and three quizzes I have this week!

:luck: to all!

The most annoying comment I hear lately is "I am sure you did fine"! How can people even begin to say that.

hahaha i love it, so true

and yes to whoever said jager. + red bull plz bombbbbbs awayyyyy

and i really enjoyed the emoticons below, with the one beating the crap out of a dead donkey or somethin haha :lol:

My friend just told me he got a 28 on his MCAT from August 14.
PS - 8
VR - 11
BS - 9

I was going back and forth on my practice AAMCs on all my sections between 8 and 9. This kid was a whiz kid in PS. He didnt take one practice test and didnt practice VR, he's just pretty good with it. He concentrated real hard on EK practice workbooks for the sciences and only got an 8 in the PS!!! What does that mean for me?????? This is soo intimidating because even though i was getting 8's and 9's in PS, as well as everything else, he's way more brilliant in that subject area than I am. I'm very intimidated. The way I see it, I needed to score at least a 25 to be considered for D.O admission given my 3.16 overall gpa. That new Rocky Vista school that everyone was urging to boycott says the accept nothing less than a 6 in every section. Now i feel like a i got anywhere from a 4 - 7 (at best) in the PS. Im screwed!!!!!!!!!!!:scared::scared::scared:

Man, you're stressing too much about this. The score can't be changed at this point. If you didn't do as well as you wanted, retake, there are a lot of people in medical school that have taken this exam two and three times. You can't judge your performance by comparing intellect with someone else. Especially someone else that didn't attempt a practice test

i'm with you guys on this whole waiting issue. As of this time yesterday, I wasn't feeling too nervous. But now I'm starting to feel the chills down my spine, I can barely drive without losing focus. I would bet a nickel that the results will probably be delayed, since that seems o be the default setting for AAMC lately. Anyways, good luck guys. We took it already, its time to reap the fruits of our hands, lol.

Man, you're stressing too much about this. The score can't be changed at this point. If you didn't do as well as you wanted, retake, there are a lot of people in medical school that have taken this exam two and three times. You can't judge your performance by comparing intellect with someone else. Especially someone else that didn't attempt a practice test
You're definately right. I should definately man-up some more, but thats what SDN is for lol. it may be the wrong reason, but i've contributed to this thread solely for venting purposes lol. The scores can't be changed...- Scary.:luck:

hahaha i love it, so true

and yes to whoever said jager. + red bull plz bombbbbbs awayyyyy

and i really enjoyed the emoticons below, with the one beating the crap out of a dead donkey or somethin haha :lol:

haha... i am also a fan of that emoticon... but i think they were going for the saying "beating a dead horse" lol :p

I'm so nervous, I'm going to try not to think about it......but i know i'll be checking the time about 1000 times today. Good luck to everyone.:scared:

Does anyone think the scores will actually be posted up today for Aug 20? Omg, my palms get sweaty everytime I think of checking my score. The Aug. 14 scores were released a couple of days late, so I wonder if the same will go for our scores.

As nervous, and hesitant as I am to check my score, I really don't want them to be delayed. It will just prolong the torment.

I took the last paper test but from what I understand about other computer based tests is that you want them to be hard. I am not sure if this is the case with the MCAT but I thought most computer tests were adaptive. This means the better you are doing the harder it is going to get. Am I completely wrong in this regard? I also know that I felt I did poorly on my exam, but in the end it all worked out. I even ran out of time on the VR and had to guess, but a lot of other test takers are going to be in the same boat with you. Keep your heads up and best of luck with your apps, I am sure that the majority of you have an infinitely better chance at getting into school than I do. There is no shame in trying and not quite reaching your goals, it happens, the only real shame is if you give up.

I took the last paper test but from what I understand about other computer based tests is that you want them to be hard. I am not sure if this is the case with the MCAT but I thought most computer tests were adaptive. This means the better you are doing the harder it is going to get. Am I completely wrong in this regard? I also know that I felt I did poorly on my exam, but in the end it all worked out. I even ran out of time on the VR and had to guess, but a lot of other test takers are going to be in the same boat with you. Keep your heads up and best of luck with your apps, I am sure that the majority of you have an infinitely better chance at getting into school than I do. There is no shame in trying and not quite reaching your goals, it happens, the only real shame is if you give up.

The MCAT isn't adaptive.

this is SO painful.

I'm sitting here trying to do secondary applications in advance of knowing whether or not it's worth it. So in theory, our scores are being posted today at 5pm EST? Christ. I'm snapping at everyone who talks to me and I can't focus on anything. I guess I'll just go work out and then go to the movies. Hairspray seems like an easy, entertaining escape from all this.

still checking constantly though. Sigh.

And if they are delayed, where will it say?

I think it should say that the scores are delayed on www.aamc.org/mcat.

But it just states that the Aug 14 scores were released Sept. 15. GRRR!!! I'm so nervous... if they ARE released today at 5 pm, I'll be waiting tables at that time. Great... that means I can't check my score til I get off work. :(:(:(:(

I feel like I bombed it anyway.

I'm so consumed with the mcat right now i keep checking this thread every 5 min on my iphone during class.