*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
credit only exists when college assigns it to you. It usually is freshman year. You can deal with in a couple of ways. See the AMCAS on linked page

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...ae7e/2018_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf#page36

If I read amcas page correctly. They don't really care if hs dual enrolled hours are listed under hs or under freshman row on the grade reporting form. Not sure if I interpreted correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a significant amount of AP or college-level coursework credits prior to entering college, you may list your entire first college year as Freshman (FR) status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0-35 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases AMCAS will not change the academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses based only on credit hours, your application will be accepted and verified as such.

So I read this as an option at my discretion. But I may be reading it wrong. And thanks for the reference. I may have never found this...

Hey @WedgeDawg for question 9, the official data from AAMC* on verification times were:

Median Business Days to Verification - 2017 cycle:
June 1: 3 business days
July 1: 16 business days
August 1: 16 business days
September 1: 11 business days
October 1: 1 business day

Median Business Days to Verification - 2016 cycle:
June 1: 3 business days
July 1: 15 business days
August 1: 19 business days
September 1: 10 business days
October 1: 2 business days

* source - AAMC presentation to undergraduate advisors

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may have accidentally submitted my transcript with an unsigned AMCAS cover sheet, but my status on AMCAS says 'transcript received'. Should I worry about this?

EDIT: Called AMCAS. To anyone who may have done the same, the transcript request form is optional, but preferred.

Last edited:
I received credit and grades from the University of Utah from a summer wildness leadership course, but they did not count towards my GPA at my home University, so I have two questions:

1. Should I include them in my courses? On my home university transcript they show up as "UNDISTRIBUTED" and as transfer credits, but have official course titles on my University of Utah transcript and grades.

2. Will AMCAS use the grades from the University of Utah courses to calculate my overall GPA, even if they did not count toward my final home university GPA?

Is it possible to access my old AMCAS application from 2015? I can't seem to find any information about this..

Hi all, I had a couple of questions about course classification.

Would paleobiology (under our geology department) and exercise physiology (ex bio dept) be considered biology classes? Both were biology heavy content wise, but not in a "biology department"

Also, I took a linguistics and toxicology class, but am not really sure how to classify it. Would "other" be ok?

@gonnif any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I am planning to enter future courses on AMCAS. I requested an official copy of my transcript for my own records, and it appears only classes which have been grade show up, therefore there will not be any future courses on the transcript I send to amcas. Is this an issue for verification?

I am planning to enter future courses on AMCAS. I requested an official copy of my transcript for my own records, and it appears only classes which have been grade show up, therefore there will not be any future courses on the transcript I send to amcas. Is this an issue for verification?
Apparently, no, this is not an issue. Those classes you sign up for are nonbinding, and serve to give an idea of what you're taking in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I have a question regarding credit hours. Many years ago I attended a community college on the trimester system. When I look at my (unofficial) transcript from there, most of my courses are listed as 5 credits, which doesn't seem right. I transferred those credits to my undergraduate institution, where they were counted as 3.35 credits - which seems to be the norm for trimester credits. Should I list them as 5 credits or as 3.35 credits?

You list the course with credit hours from the CC exactly as they appear. Transferred courses/credits do not get reported

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...ruction_manual-final-destinations.pdf#page=39
Credit Hours (emphasis in original)
Your AMCAS application will automatically convert most undergraduate credit hours
(also known as units, hours, etc.) to either semester hours or supplemental hours based on
conversions provided by undergraduate institutions.

Indicate your credit hours or units exactly as they appear on your transcript. Do not
attempt to enter conversions based on the Grade Conversion Guide or any other
conversion method.

Thank you!

So I took quite a few classes during grad school from Stanford's business school. The problem is they use a H, HP, P, LP system (corresponding to 4.14, 3.54, 3.24, 2.94 GPA respectively).... how will AMCAS and TMDSAS translate these grades? I'm afraid a "P", which is comparable to a B+ in departments outside the GSB, will end up looking like a C (or, 2.0) in AMCAS calculations. Thanks for any insight into this!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took quite a few classes during grad school from Stanford's business school. The problem is they use a H, HP, P, LP system (corresponding to 4.14, 3.54, 3.24, 2.94 GPA respectively).... how will AMCAS and TMDSAS translate these grades? I'm afraid a "P", which is comparable to a B+ in departments outside the GSB, will end up looking like a C (or, 2.0) in AMCAS calculations. Thanks for any insight into this!

Wait really? If you have a P that translates to a 2.0? What if the class itself wasn't a graded class but instead lab that you were given credits for towards graduation.

What your home university says about the course is irrelevant. If you have earned or attempted credits at any school, a transcript from the school is required. Any grade from those courses will used in GPA calculations if applicable
Thank you! You're incredible for answering all these questions. The collective anxiety you have reduced is a service to the world.

I'm seriously considering getting a M.D./M.S., but I am not 100% committed to the extra degree. When I am entering options for schools, one will typically be "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate", with a list usually of M.B.A, M.P.H., and "other".

What I have been told is you apply to these programs (like M.B.A.) once you get into the normal MD school during your 1st year. Do I actually need to be applying to the dual degree right out the gate, and does this change the admissions process at all? The only one I was planning on officially applying to is the JMP program with UCSF, since it is your 1st 3 years, but I heard that is done in the secondaries.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is I don't have any advising - I have a clear reason why I would want to do it and the type of career I want (I am non-trad working in a medically related field), yet just not which degree to get. For instance at some private schools where you apply for the dual program in your first year, I would be able to get some advising as to which degree is best (M.B.A? M.S.? M.Eng even?). They all seem applicable in different ways, I am just not informed enough to know which would be best for my career. I have done a lot of research online, but I feel like these resources are mostly vague ideas of what to expect in each degree.

My other worry is that with applying to an M.S. dual program (where I am leaning), I would have to know exactly what field I would be going into to make it worth my while, and I need some time in med school to discover exactly what that is. Unless, I am able to switch the focus later on?

That is not always the case. Some programs may have you processed by both schools at once. But many schools you can apply after being accepted to medical school. If you put down dual program now, if/when you get to interview you better be prepared to explain clearly why you are committed to both degrees. If you are not sure now, then I wouldnt mark it as such. I suggest you read about these dual degrees at each school's website that you are considering and find out how each does their admissions. My point to all this is either your are planning to get dual degree or not (ie Yes or No). Just considering it, not sure, etc, is not a way you want to go in an application

I think the answer is yes, but I'd like to double check. I did look at the FAQs on this topic, but didn't see this answered. So, we have to fill out the LOR section even if we are using Interfolio, right? That will send all the letters to AMCAS, and then at some point from there we decide which school gets which ones?

I can't seem to find an answer to my specific AMCAS question. I studied abroad for a summer at my primary University's campus in Spain. If I already made an entry for my university and requested a transcript, do I need to make another entry and request another transcript (it would be the same transcript though) just for my study abroad classes?

Hi everyone
Regarding the activities section, if I volunteered at two different hospitals at different years,do I make two entries for both? Or can they both go under one entry (if so, which contact info should I put?)

Regarding poster presentations, I was in research lab at community college and then in another one when I transferred. I have poster presentations from both labs. What is the best way to list this? (The research and posters)
Thank you.

Hi all, I had a couple of questions about course classification.

Would paleobiology (under our geology department) and exercise physiology (ex bio dept) be considered biology classes? Both were biology heavy content wise, but not in a "biology department"

Also, I took a linguistics and toxicology class, but am not really sure how to classify it. Would "other" be ok?

@gonnif any help would be appreciated!

This may have been asked before but how should I designate cc credit hours I received from high school? My credits transferred in to the university I attended so I'm not sure how I should put that info in!

This may have been asked before but how should I designate cc credit hours I received from high school? My credits transferred in to the university I attended so I'm not sure how I should put that info in!
You still need to get a separate transcript from the community college

Reactions: 1 user
On my official transcript, the AP credit for bio is written separately for lecture and lab. The lecture shows 4 credit hours and the lab shows 0.
It seems futile to input the lab separately
can I just combine them into a 4 credit class (lecture and lab combined) even though my transcript lists them as two different classes?

I've noticed that there's a section where we can put in other standardized tests taken. I took the GRE a while back for MPH programs (will be attending a 1 year program in August), but I didn't do well enough that I want to put it in my app. 158 on quantitative (70th percentile), 159 on verbal (82nd percentile), 5 on writing (93rd percentile). I can just leave this out and not enter it, correct?

Also, in the activities section, I'm not sure how to classify my AmeriCorps time. Technically, it's paid employment, but most of the time is spend teaching, and I have no other "teaching" activities, so I could classify it as that. However, it is 1700 hours and I know a lot of schools like hours in non-clinical service, so should I classify it as non-medical service/volunteering?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Not putting it down could cause a delay on verification. Resistance is futile; you will be verified. put it in AMCAS

thanks!

follow-up question: I took physio-psych which was basically an anatomy course offered to psych students
(the original anatomy course was open only to toxicology students)
would it be okay to say that the course classification is 'biology' even if it's from the psych dept (the course number is PSY123)? it makes me feel like a fraud lol

Hello! I have a question about "Significant Research Experience Essay for MD-PhD Applicants". One of the new questions in 2018 application is to enter "total number of hours of prior research experience." Does this mean the total hours prior to the date of filling the application or prior to the date of graduating? This decides if I should add the 2017 summer and next school year projected research hours. Thanks!

You can put both but I would be clear on what has been actually done as of May 31, 2017 and what is projected/planned until July 31 2018
thanks! But it has one slot to just enter the number. This is above the space to enter the actual essay. It is only 5 character length

Another problem: I have not formally taken biochemistry but would like to apply to a few schools where it is a pre-req. I will absolutely take it if required for matriculation and don't want to be weeded out because I lack a pre-req. Similarly, I don't want to show that I intend to take it, not need it, and then drop it, as I imagine that would look bad... How should I go about doing this/indicating this on my application?

Hi, I had a question about how the primary application is screened. In my personal statement, if I want to reference activities i have described in the activities section, is it okay to assume the reader knows what I wrote in the activities section, or does the statement have to be able to stand independently? Basically, does the same reader read both the activities and personal statement?

Another problem: I have not formally taken biochemistry but would like to apply to a few schools where it is a pre-req. I will absolutely take it if required for matriculation and don't want to be weeded out because I lack a pre-req. Similarly, I don't want to show that I intend to take it, not need it, and then drop it, as I imagine that would look bad... How should I go about doing this/indicating this on my application?

As long as you have biochem registered/indicated as a "future course" on your app you will be fine. I doubt an adcom will think you're lying about taking the course in the future or that they will drop your app completely because you have not already taken it...and just don't drop the class before matriculation to avoid the situation

Biochem is also heavy on the MCAT so your C/P and B/B scores will indicate your competence in the subject to a certain extent.

After reading the questions/responses in this thread I've only become more confused about how my courses and IB credits are listed on my app :confused:

Hey all! I'm applying now and filling in all my coursework. My question is, I took certain courses as an undergrad, such as Microbiology. I just graduated and I'm enrolled in a medical post-bacc for this year and Microbiology is also a course I'm taking there (the classes we are taking are set, there's no pick and choose). Should I make it as repeated on the application when I add them as future coursework?

Is a "repeated" course going to hurt my chances? I got an A in micro already so as long as I get an A again there won't be any change in the grade.

Why is it that when I log my coursework in, the order changes when I go back to review it? It did it to me the first time, so I erased everything and did it over, and now its doing it again. Is this happening to anyone else?

Can anyone tell me how to classify graduate coursework I took for my Physician assistant program? For instance - anatomy during this program: is it biology or health sciences where "physician assistant " falls under? Also- does it even play a role in my bpcm gpa since it's graduate coursework ?

You should but it will not matters as the schools dont use the AMCAS transcript to check prereqs. That is done post acceptance

I just want to make sure that my transcript will still get verified even though my classes on the transcript dont say "and lab"

It will be fine either way; if you dont want to write AND LAB it will work.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
--
"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield

Hahaha this is honestly the first part of the application that ive become a wee bit paranoid! Thanks for all the help

Hahaha this is honestly the first part of the application that ive become a wee bit paranoid! Thanks for all the help

I feel you on a spiritual level. Every time I click the submit button on anything related to transcripts, LORs, or class input, the paranoia kicks in and I feel like I've accidentally voided my MCAT 13 times over. :D

Last edited:
So I did undergraduate and graduate school at the same university. AMCAS asks for separate entries for these and thus separate transcripts. My problem is that my school only sends one transcript with both undergraduate and graduate coursework together. Do I just send the same transcript for both entries?

For the work/activities section, I am not sure how we should be using the "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" designation. Should I be labeling my leadership positions by their main activity (i.e. community service - medical) instead of "leadership"?

Oops, sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

Thanks.

This thread is really for process questions

You should direct this to the work/activities thread and the expertise of @Catalystik
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*
Generally, you should be listing the actual activity (as below) and then discuss leadership position within the description. However, I could see some leadership positions with enough prestige or clout to the primary listing, but these would be the exception to the

• artistic endeavors
  • community service/volunteer – medical/clinical
  • community service/volunteer – not medical/clinical
  • conferences attended
  • extracurricular activities
  • hobbies
  • honors/awards/recognition
  • intercollegiate athletics
  • leadership – not listed elsewhere
  • military service
  • other
  • paid employment – medical/clinical
  • paid employment – not medical/clinical
  • physician shadowing/clinical observation
  • presentations/posters
  • publications
  • research/lab
  • teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant

Are there reasons why AMCAS doesn't add the courses you took in undergrad to the primary application themselves? It seems odd to me that we need to enter all of our courses precisely if AMCAS is going to go through all of our official transcripts, verify everything line by line, and make adjustments/GPA calculations anyway. It just seems like having us add our own course work is both a time waster and a potential source of application delay/frustration.

My school has a quarter system, starting in late Aug and ending in May, with 8 weeks per quarter. There's no option in AMCAS for 4th quarter, though.....Should I list my 4th quarter classes as "summer" (even though they were March-May) or my 1st quarter classes as "summer" (even though they were Aug/Sep-Oct) or should I just add 4th quarter as "other term"?! I'm so confused...why wouldn't they put a fourth quarter when by definition, quarter = 4?!