Please help!! AMCAS sGPA Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenloverr5

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AMCAS will calculate using all your grades from undergrad, all 4 years. This calculation is separate from the calculation of your graduate GPA.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7761/download

AMCAS uses
A or A+ = 4
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7

AMCAS will calculate using all your grades from undergrad, all 4 years. This calculation is separate from the calculation of your graduate GPA.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7761/download

AMCAS uses
A or A+ = 4
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7

Yes, but when they calculate each separate years gpa (freshman, sophomore, etc.) is that years gpa included with the gpa of the previous year like in the picture I posted? The website I used uses the previous year(s) credit hours and quality points as well as the current year to do the breakdown if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! So AMCAS won’t combine all your courses year after year, each year will have its category plus the GPA for the courses you took that year. It’s only until the section that says “cumulative GPA” where all years will be considered

Reactions: 1 user
If you already graduated and claimed your bachelor's degree before starting taking your DIY postbac, the undergrad GPA calculation is not going to change.
That doesn’t mean you can’t show an upward trend or improvement by doing your postbac courses.

If you already graduated and claimed your bachelor's degree before starting taking your DIY postbac, the undergrad GPA calculation is not going to change.
That doesn’t mean you can’t show an upward trend or improvement by doing your postbac courses.

are you sure? I think they do when looking at the doc you commented

• Wow
are you sure? I think they do when looking at the doc you commented
Yes, we are sure.
Once you have graduated, Post bac undergrad gpas will appear separate from (and subsequent to) your undergrad gpas. They are not averaged in.

Look at the chart marked Sample Verified GPA.
You will see that they calculated a cumulative GPA for undergrad
And
A separate GPA for graduate courses

The classes i’m taking are not for a graduate program/classes. They are undergraduate classes at a college. The guide says “Include undergraduate post-baccalaureate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA.” I’m a little confused now. I thought post-baccalaureate means after getting your undergraduate degree.

The classes i’m taking are not for a graduate program/classes. They are undergraduate classes at a college. The guide says “Include undergraduate post-baccalaureate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA.” I’m a little confused now. I thought post-baccalaureate means after getting your undergraduate degree.
Did you get your BA or BS and graduate already? Or not?

Then, your new courses will be calculated separately.
Postbac is short for post baccalaureate, or post-bachelors degree.
Don't feel you new efforts are wasted as you can show improvement.

I’m so sorry but I think I might be misunderstanding. On the 2025 AMCAS Application guide ( https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/11616/download) it says “Postbaccalaureate coursework is included in the Undergrad Total GPA as well as in a separate Postbaccalaureate GPA.” I’m understanding that it will be on the separate postbaccalaureate line as well as included in the undergrad gpa because it’s undergrad coursework.

I don't know what else to say to you-
Your GPA will be whatever AMCAS calculates it to be, and their official calculation is what your med schools will see.
If you took courses after you earned your bachelor's, even if they are regular college courses or community college courses, they will be calculated in the separate Postbaccalaureate GPA.
wysdoc, out

Reactions: 2 users
There are many calculators so use them to check your work.

There seem to be a number of answers here not exactly answering OP's question. You will have a separate line for each year's GPA (Freshman, sophmore, junior, senior, postbacc), then a cumulative GPA that average all of those (weighted by credits). Each individual year is not your cumulative GPA up to that point, it's the GPA you had for that year specifically.